Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I really hope thats the case and doesn't get much traction. In addition the RSD people take a more tight rein on what they accept under the banner. The record store is already going out on a limb ordering 300 dollar clutch box sets for RSD, I could deffo imaging them being stuck with $230 represses of Zepplin II in the same style.

e: just thinking of how many more rare records on the same day I got for the same price of ONE record. wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CPL593H posted:

In all fairness unboxing videos are really loving stupid and I have no idea why people watch them and how they're so popular. At a time when you have unlimited access to thousands and thousands of hours of entertainment why the gently caress does someone want to sit down and watch some dipshit taking a Playstation out of the box and describing the packaging materials for twenty five minutes?

Depends on the the type of unboxing video really, it works better for blind box stuff and trading cards because you can get the gambler's dopamine hit of "what are they going to get!" without spending your own money on them. For single products I suspect most people are looking at them for the same reason I am, to get more information about a product from a source other than the maker of that product. Which is why that video about the Let it Bleed record is a good thing to have, beyond the lols and indictment of the cash in nature of a lot of record rereleases.

I first realized that rereleases on colored vinyl were getting out of hand when I read some place that Jefferson Starship's Blows Against the Empire was getting an 180 gram audiophile rerelease on green and white splatter, but that could just be my own dislike of that album talking. Maybe its more popular than I think it is? I'm also still lolling at how bad the colors of that hand poured Let it Bleed disc are, it looks no different pattern wise than my tricolor copies of the SDCC version of Contra Soundtrack and The Who at Monterey from the last RSD drop.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

incoherent posted:

I really hope thats the case and doesn't get much traction. In addition the RSD people take a more tight rein on what they accept under the banner. The record store is already going out on a limb ordering 300 dollar clutch box sets for RSD, I could deffo imaging them being stuck with $230 represses of Zepplin II in the same style.

e: just thinking of how many more rare records on the same day I got for the same price of ONE record. wow.

this is honestly the better reason to shop at record shops on record store days. they put out new 'old' stock and there's always a ton of gems to grab.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

pwn posted:

It comes with the record in stereo and mono, two SACDs of the same, a book, a single, some prints and a poster, I wouldn’t pay $80 because I don’t care about the Stones but I would pay $65 if it were White Stripes. Point is, you’re getting something for your shekels with it, unlike the pretty disc in a regular-rear end jacket and non-poly-lined picture sleeve

I was just poking fun because it's a mediocre album. It's kind of hilarious that the one that comes with a whole bunch of poo poo is cheaper than the one that's just a disc.

BigFactory posted:

Gomper is a jam.

Citadel is probably my favorite song from that album followed closely by 2000 Lightyears From Home.

incoherent posted:

I've met more than one record store owner who hates RSD for this exact reason.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

incoherent posted:

Yeah. One of my record shops had a RSD section with years old stock that didn't sell. Funny thing was the crap was barely discounted so there it sat. Some say it is still there to this day.

Turbinosamente posted:

For single products I suspect most people are looking at them for the same reason I am, to get more information about a product from a source other than the maker of that product. Which is why that video about the Let it Bleed record is a good thing to have, beyond the lols and indictment of the cash in nature of a lot of record rereleases.

I've watched a few for this reason but jesus do they have to explain how well wrapped an HDMI cable is for five minutes? Just show the box then hard cut to everything in the box arranged on a table.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

CPL593H posted:

I've met more than one record store owner who hates RSD for this exact reason.
I am a record store owner and we don’t participate for this reason. It is expensive and we don’t really make any money.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

sporklift posted:

Yeah. One of my record shops had a RSD section with years old stock that didn't sell. Funny thing was the crap was barely discounted so there it sat. Some say it is still there to this day.

Funnily enough so does one of mine, but they also have gotten sneaky and slipped some into the regular sections like the million copies of The Who Odds and Sods is also in the new pop/rock section. I noticed that one because it was one of the big disappointing purchases I got up early to make this year. The other shop I mentioned that's thinking of phasing RSD out just plopped what they got in their new releases section and didn't bother separating them as something special, if they ever did.

sporklift posted:

I've watched a few for this reason but jesus do they have to explain how well wrapped an HDMI cable is for five minutes? Just show the box then hard cut to everything in the box arranged on a table.

I guess I've gotten lucky and haven't hit any packaging obsessives. last thing I watched was for some video game collector's edition and it was pretty straight forward pull an item out, make a comment about it. Granted I did skip over the glamour shots and comments on all sides of the exterior box.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

SwimNurd posted:

I am a record store owner and we don’t participate for this reason. It is expensive and we don’t really make any money.

Would you go back into it now they let record stores sell their excess wear online, same day? from a clearly outsiders perspective allowing record stores getting to sell excess stock eventually sell online due to COVID helped. (and crashed rough trades and amoeba sites lol)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

incoherent posted:

Would you go back into it now they let record stores sell their excess wear online, same day? from a clearly outsiders perspective allowing record stores getting to sell excess stock eventually sell online due to COVID helped. (and crashed rough trades and amoeba sites lol)

SwimNurd can correct me if I'm wrong but I'd guess that shop owners that aren't interested probably still wouldn't bother because for every "it" item every year there's a whole pile of other over priced junk no one gives a poo poo about. I will echo what other people have said and say that a bunch of stores I've been in just have unsold RSD poo poo piling up from years past. Especially Newbury Comics stores, they just don't have to worry about it because they're chain store.

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE
Anyone get OPN’s new album? The first LP in my two disc set is significantly off center...the needle moves ~1cm laterally with each half rotation, creating an audible pitch shift.

When I did some research about off center records folks claim that whole batches are frequently bad when this happens so a return might not be an option. I could fix by widening the hole and manually centering, but I’d rather not do that.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Got a shipping notification for my Bebop today, h*ck yea :dukedoge:

Also sporklift who won the contest?? i really hope it was dorium, their momma needs her Girth Brooks

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

My udiscover stuff finally came today. Welcome first 3 Elvis Costello albums and social network soundtrack

pwn
May 27, 2004

Speaking of which, my uDiscover order came last Monday and was all bent up in the post.

I’ve shot photos and am currently enjoying the nascent days of what will surely be another 3-4 weeks of dealing with Universal Music Enterprises retail website uDiscover Music to get a replacement. It’s a christmas miracle

Edit: For example, I submitted my claim, along with my order number and a bunch of photos. The first response addressed me by my email name and asked for the order number.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

Speaking of which, my uDiscover order came last Monday and was all bent up in the post.

I’ve shot photos and am currently enjoying the nascent days of what will surely be another 3-4 weeks of dealing with Universal Music Enterprises retail website uDiscover Music to get a replacement. It’s a christmas miracle

Edit: For example, I submitted my claim, along with my order number and a bunch of photos. The first response addressed me by my email name and asked for the order number.

I contacted them today about my warped copy of Discreet Music, I can't wait to see what this will be like! I did have the order number though because I hadn't deleted the confirmation email. At the very least I looked at their return policy and it says you've got 60 days from when you get the merchandise.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Did I ever show you guys what the mailman did to my record order one time?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

marjorie posted:

The other day I almost stepped on a record I ordered because the mailman left it on the mat outside the door. This is a lot worse.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

CPL593H posted:

The other day I almost stepped on a record I ordered because the mailman left it on the mat outside the door. This is a lot worse.

Oof, yeah I get annoyed at bad delivery placement sometimes (how am I supposed to open my door to get this heavy package when the package is right up against my door), but this was laughably bad. I had video of it from my security cam and could see that he literally bent it against his leg to make it fit (as you can tell, there are multiple records in there, and that edge wasn't split before he had his way with it). It took me and a friend like 5 minutes to pry it out.

Edit: For real though, if he didn't feel like walking up the driveway, he could've tossed it up and it would've been in better shape, since the records were packed well. I couldn't believe it.

marjorie fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 1, 2020

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

pwn posted:

I had a banged up corner on one of mine but the actual record was fine. Meh, for $5 I'm not gonna give a poo poo.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

that mailbox photo is upsetting

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

marjorie posted:

WHAT. THE. gently caress.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

marjorie posted:

Oof, yeah I get annoyed at bad delivery placement sometimes (how am I supposed to open my door to get this heavy package when the package is right up against my door), but this was laughably bad. I had video of it from my security cam and could see that he literally bent it against his leg to make it fit (as you can tell, there are multiple records in there, and that edge wasn't split before he had his way with it). It took me and a friend like 5 minutes to pry it out.

Edit: For real though, if he didn't feel like walking up the driveway, he could've tossed it up and it would've been in better shape, since the records were packed well. I couldn't believe it.

That is a comically lovely mailman.

hexwren posted:

that mailbox photo is upsetting

I was looking for that other photo we've all seen but then I stumbled upon this one which looks like a Dali painting.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

IIRC that shelf fell apart because the internal boards were turned the wrong way... what a lesson to learn.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Haha I should tag it NMS. Luckily it was an ebay order for a couple not super rare Aretha records, and surprisingly they bounced back ok. This is them today, and they sound pretty much fine.

Might've been because I was so mad I couldn't even bring myself to open them to view the damage, so they were left in the package under some heavy stuff for about a week so, which mostly flattened them back out.

marjorie fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 1, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

IIRC that shelf fell apart because the internal boards were turned the wrong way... what a lesson to learn.

There are a lot of pictures like that.

In other news, I called a record store today looking for a copy of Meat is Murder and the guy wanted 75 bucks. Then he got mad because I asked him if there was something special about it like it being a UK first press or something.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Hot Diggity! posted:

I had a banged up corner on one of mine but the actual record was fine. Meh, for $5 I'm not gonna give a poo poo.

I hear you, but this was meant to replace my original copy, which had been water damaged.

marjorie posted:

:aaa:

This is why you tip every Christmas

pwn fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 1, 2020

marjorie
May 4, 2014

pwn posted:

:aaa:

This is why you tip every Christmas

Hahaha I hadn't been here very long! I've since put in a larger mailbox, though. And I did call about that incident - made it clear I wasn't asking for any sort of compensation, just wanted to make sure it didn't happen again, and it hasn't in almost 3 years!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

CPL593H posted:

I was looking for that other photo we've all seen but then I stumbled upon this one which looks like a Dali painting.

this is why i still have all my records in boxes and have yet to invest in any furniture, even after my posts asking about it like six months ago :ohdear:

(i'd only be getting a 2x2 shelf which would... probably not fail as catastrophically)

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

Got a shipping notification for my Bebop today, h*ck yea :dukedoge:

Also sporklift who won the contest?? i really hope it was dorium, their momma needs her Girth Brooks

Alright. My wife just drew the name and it was indeed dorium! Only four people entered lol so the odds were good. I feel good its going to your mama. I suspect the other entries didn't have such intentions. PM me with your address!

marjorie posted:

Is that two records in there? Because that would take some effort. Jesus.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

That has to have been done of purpose. There's no other way.

pwn
May 27, 2004

marjorie posted:

Hahaha I hadn't been here very long! I've since put in a larger mailbox, though. And I did call about that incident - made it clear I wasn't asking for any sort of compensation, just wanted to make sure it didn't happen again, and it hasn't in almost 3 years!

Please enjoy this artist’s rendering of the attack

sporklift posted:

Alright. My wife just drew the name and it was indeed dorium! Only four people entered lol so the odds were good. I feel good its going to your mama. I suspect the other entries didn't have such intentions. PM me with your address!

dorium’s mom ain’t going [to be putting those records] down ‘til the sun comes up

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

sporklift posted:

Alright. My wife just drew the name and it was indeed dorium! Only four people entered lol so the odds were good. I feel good its going to your mama. I suspect the other entries didn't have such intentions. PM me with your address.

Ayyyoooooo

My mom will have a honky tonk Christmas now!

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Yes, there were two records in there.

pwn posted:

Please enjoy this artist’s rendering of the attack

Brought a tear to my eye. Thank you.

pwn posted:

dorium’s mom ain’t going [to be putting those records] down ‘til the sun comes up

:perfect:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
apparently wal-mart replaced the cube shelves people liked with a thinner version people do not like :negative:

i kinda like the idea of something that's packable as individual cubes/creates (there's a good chance i move in the next ~year). might try some of these weird guys: https://www.amazon.com/Atlantic-96636247-Record-Crate-Shelf/dp/B077KZZGJV

or, the more baller option: https://www.etsy.com/listing/601590414/pair-price-for-the-best-dj-record?ref=shop_home_feat_1&variation1=1392976234&variation0=1411457823

or slightly less baller, though i think my roommate would think this is too ugly for the living room :( https://www.etsy.com/listing/637196736/4-x-flat-pack-osb-record-crates?ref=shop_home_feat_1 nevermind this ships from the uk lmao

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 2, 2020

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

abraham linksys posted:

apparently wal-mart replaced the cube shelves people liked with a thinner version people do not like :negative:

i kinda like the idea of something that's packable as individual cubes/creates (there's a good chance i move in the next ~year). might try some of these weird guys: https://www.amazon.com/Atlantic-96636247-Record-Crate-Shelf/dp/B077KZZGJV

or, the more baller option: https://www.etsy.com/listing/601590414/pair-price-for-the-best-dj-record?ref=shop_home_feat_1&variation1=1392976234&variation0=1411457823

or slightly less baller, though i think my roommate would think this is too ugly for the living room :( https://www.etsy.com/listing/637196736/4-x-flat-pack-osb-record-crates?ref=shop_home_feat_1

This was my stretch choice before I just went with ikea

https://etsy.me/331LaRf

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The ‘In’ Groove guy is back and now he’s burning the Electrica Recording Company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHh8PNwA3P8

Wild for $450 he received two bummer records. Now I’m curious about the rest of this labels releases (not enough to drop the money, but I wanna know what the fuss is about it after this).

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

The ‘In’ Groove guy is back and now he’s burning the Electrica Recording Company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHh8PNwA3P8

Wild for $450 he received two bummer records. Now I’m curious about the rest of this labels releases (not enough to drop the money, but I wanna know what the fuss is about it after this).

My favorite thing about this is he was talking wholesale poo poo about that Let It Bleed reissue but then pays $450 for this.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

My favorite thing about this is he was talking wholesale poo poo about that Let It Bleed reissue but then pays $450 for this.

I thought he said he traded for a copy of this after someone reached out about his interest in seeing what the fuss was about this label.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

marjorie posted:

:wth:

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
im in awe at that mailbox photo. the carrier was so committed to following protocol yet so disgusted with this stupid box that they used all that energy. beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

This is why we all need DYNAFLEX®