Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I feel compelled to point out this is a direct Rothfuck quote and not Sham bam bamina! satire.

emptyquote for emphasis.

This a man who insists his prose is flawless, and not interested in other writers' feedback "thereunto" as he might put it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

TV Zombie posted:

What the heck? speedrunning minecraft? finish the drat book!

He can’t finish something he hasn’t started. Pretty sure the reason he went silent was because his editor mentioned she has seen *nothing* from him for the third book.

Rothfuss knows he’s a hack who got lucky and he has no reason to write another book because he’s already rich.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I would love to be a hack who got lucky. Much respect to him for living his best life. The issue is really all the people who worshipped his awful writing in the first place and put him on the radar.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I'd respect him a lot more if he realized he was a hack and not Prose Jesus.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
That's very true. It's why I have a lot of love for someone like William King who knows exactly what he's doing and where his standing in the literary canon is.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

maybe it's because that picture's low-res but did he try to kool-aid dye his eyebrows too and just end up staining his skin

EDIT:

eXXon posted:

Well that certainly was cringeworthy writing, but more literally, how about this tattoo? Bonus points for the person saying it was delayed due to covid but now is deffo the right time to go for it!

honestly that tattoo doesn't look too bad as long as they never, ever explain what it is

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Patware posted:

honestly that tattoo doesn't look too bad as long as they never, ever explain what it is

What are the odds that the kind of person who posts in a subreddit dedicated to these terrible books won't take every opportunity to talk at length about every minute detail of their tattoo for an unfinished book series?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Patware posted:

I had the same thought until you actually look at it. If it had a quarter of the different imagery in it then it might actually look pretty cool. Less is more and all that.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So apparently there's gonna be a livestream today where this guy is gonna talk about book 3 and workshop an rpg based on this series. We'll see how that goes.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

99 percent will be about the rpg and 0 percent will be about the progress of book 3.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
the rpg is book 3, he's not gonna write it, figure it out yourselves

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Relax Or DIE posted:

the rpg is book 3, he's not gonna write it, figure it out yourselves

The RPG is also only in audio form.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

He's going to burn the manuscript at the end like Gogol.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Jesus, reading that really makes him insufferable.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

calandryll posted:

Jesus, reading that really makes him insufferable.

Tip of the iceberg.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

a) what the gently caress shop do you have to talk about with Terry The gently caress Brooks

b) "Pat Rothfuss absolves you of your social sins" is a LOT coming from him

c) has he said what charity? is it his bullshit charity that pays his rent?

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
If I had lost a million dollars investing in expensive gaming tables, I would simply stop investing money in expensive gaming tables.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

rollick posted:

If I had lost a million dollars investing in expensive gaming tables, I would simply stop investing money in expensive gaming tables.

Buy fewer tables.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm almost tempted to watch Pat give writing advice and answer questions about Book 3, but actually no gently caress that.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the absolute gall of pat rothfuss to think i would watch him instead of vtubers for any reason

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
The idea of a 14 hour livestream of any author is ridiculous, much less Rothfuss. There's maybe a handful of authors I'd want to listen to 14 hours of conversation from period, and the one thing in common is they all have extensive seperate works that all explore different ideas and worlds. Not 2.4 books of homeless harry potter.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

PJOmega posted:

The idea of a 14 hour livestream of any author is ridiculous, much less Rothfuss. There's maybe a handful of authors I'd want to listen to 14 hours of conversation from period, and the one thing in common is they all have extensive seperate works that all explore different ideas and worlds. Not 2.4 books of homeless harry potter.

I think you mean “Soulful Tragic Byronic Gypsy Musical Genius And Really Good At Sex Homeless Harry Potter.”

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I'm watching the stream, and he's managed to stall for 20 solid minutes.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I'm watching the stream, and he's managed to stall for 20 solid minutes.

What did the stalling consist of?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Bathroom break. Some kind of pickle accident. He's been filibustering about chat moderation for about ten minutes now.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
He is now answering questions, at 8:25 CST.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The first question he has decided to answer is whether or not quarantine has made his work easier, and he's avoiding even this one.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Q: "Is book 3 darker than your beta readers expected?"

A: "It depends on the beta reader."

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Q: "Is book 3 darker than your beta readers expected?"

A: "It depends on the beta reader."

Thank you for your service in watching this disaster and reporting on it.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
He is very mad about the Witcher Netflix show.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
"Oh, there's a fourth book. There's more books in this world. I made this trilogy, I made this world big enough that I could write more stories in it."

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Sham bam bamina! posted:

He is very mad about the Witcher Netflix show.

why????

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It has "lazy storytelling". I kinda missed what the lazy storytelling was because I've been also hanging out with some Discord friends for a stream that was already scheduled.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I WANT TO KICK HIS rear end

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Just found out that if Kvothe played a real-world song at the Eolian, he would play the Barenaked Ladies' "If I Had a Million Dollars".

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Rothfuss is explaining that his titles are too deep and rich with emotion to translate into other languages. "It's called The Slow Regard of Silent Things. What does that even mean?"

ed:

" 'The patient, cut-flower sound of a man who is waiting to die? What does that even mean?'

'gently caress, man. I don't know. I sure wouldn't want your job. Translate it!' "

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i know someone who could feasibly get me in a room with patrick rothfuss and that's all i have to say

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

so is the third book happening per Pat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
9:00 on the dot and he's taking a break for donations.