Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I just got a small (66pc) SP Tools carry case set with spanners 8 to 24mm, 1/2" drive sockets from 8 to 32mm, a set of Allen keys, a bunch of screwdrivers and some various pliers and an adjustable wrench. It's essentially the bits I usually pull out of my big toolbox for long road trips, so I sprung to get one that lives in my car for any emergency repairs that I can do.

No need for the hacksaw but so it'll end up in my big toolbox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ufarn posted:

Crossposting from the quick question thread just to cover my bases:

The bits from the ifixit kit are too small for the hex chucks on most electric screwdrivers like the ones you posted. The precision screwdriver bits from the ifixit kit are a 1/8" hex while the bits for most electric screwdrivers or drills are 1/4". There are some 1/4" fitted three jaw chucks (I got one with my milwaukee cordless screwdriver in 1996) but I don't know if I'd use them for precision bits or screws. There are some cordless screwdrivers for working on small electronics but they can be a bit more expensive than the household tool kind. This is one of the cheaper ones I've seen:
https://smile.amazon.com/POWERGIANT-Electric-Screwdriver-Cordless-Precision/dp/B07R7TNR66

I don't know anything about this site or their recommendations but they have a list of electric precisions they think are the best. I would check reviews and not take their word for it, however.
https://improb.com/best-electric-precision-screwdrivers/

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can just get a little adapter for the precision bits too, Wiha 75802 is one.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Awesome advice, thanks.

Knowing more about it now, it looks like my kit happens to have a "1/4" to 4mm driver", which seems to be pentagonal and what I would need, right? And this is the general standard for all screwdrivers, or is there more confusion to be had?

And getting an electric precision screwdriver is definitely tempting, but if I can use a general-purpose electric screwdriver to begin with that has decent sensitivity, I'll start from there and probably get one of those fancy precision screwdrivers that mainly seem to be available only from Amazon and eBay in these parts. Although it doesn't help that some of the models are the same that have fifty million different names.

Also, what would be a good general-purpose set of bits to get with an electric screwdriver like the ones in the video? Seems there are a billion sets out there. So far I'm just using mine for computers and, well, general-purpose assemblies of furniture, doorknobs and window frame handles, and so forth.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ufarn posted:

Also, what would be a good general-purpose set of bits to get with an electric screwdriver like the ones in the video? Seems there are a billion sets out there. So far I'm just using mine for computers and, well, general-purpose assemblies of furniture, doorknobs and window frame handles, and so forth.

I have this set of bits for disassembling electronics. I haven't encountered a screw it couldn't deal with, yet.....
https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Screwdriver-Upgrade-Magnetic-Extension/dp/B07QX2Y42M/

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^ that kit appears to come with the 1/4" to 4mm adapter, but it sounds like ufarn already has the precision bits and was asking about a general purpose 1/4" kit, which are pretty standard. I think almost any ryobi/milwaukee/dewalt/bosch/whatever hex bit set will be fine to start and then just add as you go.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Does anyone have a preference of the K4 vs. K5 Kreg jigs? I ended up with an additional Kreg jig (K5) for pretty cheap at a garage sale I previously/currently have the K4 system, which seems to work quite well, and while I really like the clamp handle in the front of the K5, the rest of the setup including setting the bit and collar depths seems more fiddly to me, and loose parts I feel could go missing. I don't use them very frequently, and really don't have a strong preference for either, does anyone have experience with both and a preference on which you would keep?

Falco fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 2, 2020

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
For electronics tools, might be worth checking out what the bigger repair channel guys are using. I think TronicFix has some Amazon affiliate links etc for electric screw drivers etc.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

ufarn posted:

I have zero experience with electric drills, screwdrivers, and how compatible bits are. They seem not to fit, but would there a way to use some kind of adapter instead of getting some dedicated minified electric screwdriver?

Ifixit stuff is pretty great, that’s mainly what we used at my last job where we professionally refurbished mobile devices. Also had some wiha and other stuff like Moody precision screwdrivers, which are my personal favorite. But at the end of the day bits are cheap and disposable. You can get AAA battery powered mini electric screwdrivers or really good proxxon electric screwdrivers that would take the smaller ifixit bits, but unless you’re doing hundreds or thousands of screws a day, a regular screwdriver is adequate.

I wouldn’t use these smaller bits with an adapter because they’ll just cam out. Buy something like this Milwaukee Impact Bit Set for 15$ instead if you’re planning on getting a drill or driver, or doing anything larger than size 0 Phillips. Comes with basically everything you’ll ever need, and is designed to use in Impact drivers, and the bits are so nice compared to older sets I’ve got from dewalt and others

E: for clarification, an electric screwdriver is low speed high torque for precision work such as removing/installing fasteners in devices, whereas a drill or driver is high speed high torque, typically for drilling holes or driving screws into construction material. Rereading your followup post it seems like you’re doing typical household stuff, in which case I’d just get a battery powered drill. Decent ones have an adjustable clutch so you don’t overtorque what you’re working on, and will basically do everything.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 3, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

:thunk:
nice try algorithm, but not quite. when you buy miniatures then start buying tools

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Cross posting this from AI:
I need some large (3-3.5"ish) retaining ring/snap ring pliers and I'd preferably like to get them locally so I can have them 1st thing in the AM. What kind of places might stock those? I'm in a small/mid-sized city. Auto parts stores don't seem to have any that big on the shelf, and the big box places of course don't either.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

By 3 inch do you mean the size of the plier, diameter of the snap ring, or open to close distance.

I have found napas usually have a larger selection of tools in stock.

Otherwise you can try Industrial supply places. Grainger, fastenal. Be prepared for :homebrew: prices.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

MRC48B posted:

By 3 inch do you mean the size of the plier, diameter of the snap ring, or open to close distance.

I have found napas usually have a larger selection of tools in stock.

Otherwise you can try Industrial supply places. Grainger, fastenal. Be prepared for :homebrew: prices.
Diameter of the snap ring. Grainger et. al definitely have them in their system, but not in stock locally. I will check out Napa-thanks!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’m not sure where tf to ask this

how do I figure out the amount of force necessary for a certain type of blade to cut about halfway through an oak log of a certain diameter?

I have a thing I wanna build, and I gotta calculate some poo poo to do it (or rather, parts of it might be easier if I calculate some poo poo)

yes this is a real question

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
That sounds like a word problem from the final exam of an engineering course.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

I. M. Gei posted:

how do I figure out the amount of force necessary for a certain type of blade to cut about halfway through an oak log of a certain diameter?

I have a thing I wanna build, and I gotta calculate some poo poo to do it (or rather, parts of it might be easier if I calculate some poo poo)

Too much math, just build yourself a spinning death wheel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ks_lbtgJSw

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

SpartanIvy posted:

Too much math, just build yourself a spinning death wheel

that’s actually what I’m trying to build :v:

Rutibex posted:

That sounds like a word problem from the final exam of an engineering course.

yeah I know. and I failed out of engineering awhile ago (for reasons I’m still contentious about, but still)

I think machines exist that measure force, but I don’t remember what they’re called

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I. M. Gei posted:

that’s actually what I’m trying to build :v:

yeah I know. and I failed out of engineering awhile ago (for reasons I’m still contentious about, but still)

I think machines exist that measure force, but I don’t remember what they’re called

There's things like force gauges and I've seen people take readings from strain gauges while something hits or pulls to get a maximum load. Might be worth asking the electronics thread in DIY.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

Wow, this is so hard to believe considering your never ending trellis project where you weren't able to operate a tape measure.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I. M. Gei posted:

?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrTOGEZYEU4

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I. M. Gei posted:

If you're actually building a flywheel log splitter, the idea is that the mass is so high so as to make it basically unstoppable by wood fibers. I mean, you can find tables of the compression strengths of various species, and you could estimate the force applied by the blade rotating on a mass of a given flywheel and going at a given speed (iirc that's gonna be a calculus based physics problem, but it's been 20 years), but at the end of this you'd want the force to be (I'm guessing) 50x or more of what would be required for failure of the wood fibers.

There's a reason they're called spinning death wheels.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s not the force on the wood that’s interesting.

It’s when the force reaches the welds of the axe heads on the doomwheel that things get interesting.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

Buy a log splitter before you kill you are self.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

He's not gonna build it, he hasn't even got a working tape measure.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Man ya all are harsh, the measuring tape thing was funny, no need to rub it in and run him out of the place though.

I believe a load cell is what some were thinking of by the way, as far as force measuring devices go. I don't really think that's going to help him at all though for this project... whatever it is, I don't think its a log splitter, why would you only want to go halfway through?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Elem7 posted:

Man ya all are harsh, the measuring tape thing was funny, no need to rub it in and run him out of the place though.

I believe a load cell is what some were thinking of by the way, as far as force measuring devices go. I don't really think that's going to help him at all though for this project... whatever it is, I don't think its a log splitter, why would you only want to go halfway through?

I thought the same thing the last time he popped in and motronic jumped on him, so I went back and read his posts regarding the trellis or whatever it was. It really reads like he's trolling this forum, ignoring helpful advice and jumping between threads to rile up another group of posters that are responding in good faith.

Whether that's on purpose or not, I dunno.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elem7 posted:

The tape measure is shorthand for the rest. You know, broken rotary hammers, trying to build a 16 foot long wood steaming rig out of PVC, insisting a 10+ wide wood trellis structure requires accuracy to the 1/16th of an inch while not understanding how stacking errors work while measuring things, etc.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I. M. Gei posted:

You you trying to split a log or make a log shorter? Both of these problems have been solved-by log splitters in the first case and chainsaws in the second-and do not require novel solutions.

Very few wood cutting tools work on brute force-they use lots of small forces and lots of small teeth to cut tiny chips one after the other to cut through XYZ they don’t brute force a a single blade halfway through a log.

If you are indeed trying to build a wheel of death log splitter-don’t. And if you can’t take that advice, then don’t post about it in HCH.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

I. M. Gei posted:

I would think this problem would be more about the speed your blade would need to come to rest halfway into your log

If external force is being applied to blade during penetration, you'd be looking at that in terms of the impulse / work being done on blade

A blade at speed moving through a log takes time and happens over distance, so those things would be relevant alongside force. Even if the variables cancel out, that'd still be the analytical framework you'd need to approach the problem

Been a while since I took physics tho so take with a grain of salt, and also don't do whatever you are planning

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Can anyone recommend an electric tiller for a small (8x24) garden? It’s very close to an outlet in my shed and I don’t feel like having to deal with a small engine.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I just want to know the purpose of the halfway log splitter and why the forces need to be calculated when there's enough variability between logs that any kind of testing or calculation is moot

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

angryrobots posted:

I thought the same thing the last time he popped in and motronic jumped on him, so I went back and read his posts regarding the trellis or whatever it was. It really reads like he's trolling this forum, ignoring helpful advice and jumping between threads to rile up another group of posters that are responding in good faith.

Whether that's on purpose or not, I dunno.

It's been long enough that I can't even remember *where* on these forums I started coming across him but I legit think it's a super long-con troll. Always starting off with a vague question that has just enough defined information to a) not be something you've heard before and b) make you go :wtf:.

It'd be funny if it wasn't just obnoxious.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Can anyone recommend an electric tiller for a small (8x24) garden? It’s very close to an outlet in my shed and I don’t feel like having to deal with a small engine.

We use those little sun joe electric tillers to mix sand and cement. They work great for that so I’m assuming they would do a good job on a garden too.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I've got one of these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Troy-Bilt-9-in-6-5-Amp-Corded-Electric-Tiller-Cultivator-TB154e/311940774 that I use for a similarly sized garden and a couple raised beds and it works pretty well for turning in fresh mulch/manure/other soil amendments in the spring. It also did a pretty good job breaking up some big compacted dead spots in my lawn before I reseeded them this fall.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fralbjabar posted:

I've got one of these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Troy-Bilt-9-in-6-5-Amp-Corded-Electric-Tiller-Cultivator-TB154e/311940774 that I use for a similarly sized garden and a couple raised beds and it works pretty well for turning in fresh mulch/manure/other soil amendments in the spring. It also did a pretty good job breaking up some big compacted dead spots in my lawn before I reseeded them this fall.

That's hilarious - it's literally the same thing as the gas one (which is quite good) except they strapped an electric motor to it. The gas motors is quite tiny, probably not even 2 HP, so I could totally see that working well as an electric. Probably better (full torque at 0 RPMs as opposed to having to rev the piss out of it).

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I have the tiller attachment for my ryobi 40 volt weed eater, it works shockingly well. I though for sure it'd burn out in minutes. The attachment is actually generic for any flex shaft tool.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Y’all can go ahead and knock it right the gently caress off with all the “I. M. Gei is too loving stupid/r******* to be people, he must be a performance troll cuz zaurg” poo poo. That poo poo really loving pisses me off, and the PM I got from a mod (you know who you are) asking if I’m really a real person and not a troll doesn’t loving help poo poo; it just implies that I’m too big a fuckup to be called a “person” and makes me wonder if I’m the crazy one, and that’s not okay. I didn’t reply to it because just looking at it made me too angry to put together coherent sentences.

This isn’t the only forum I’ve had this happen in, and I don’t know wtf I’m doing to make people think it (which is starting to make me think I’m going insane) but it honestly feels like punching down at this point.

Actually, gently caress it, this is not a request. I don’t know how to advocate for myself (thanks autism!) so I’m gonna be blunt: This poo poo is not okay at all. Doesn’t matter if I “deserve it”. It’s still not okay. Stop it!

Motronic posted:

Wow, this is so hard to believe considering your never ending trellis project where you weren't able to operate a tape measure.

bitch YOU try living with ADHD

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

For the record, the thing I was thinking about building wasn’t a giant motorized wood-splitter like in that video. When I said I was trying to build a “spinning death wheel” like that goon said, what I meant was that I wanted to make something round, that might be able to cut through wood if I could get the math to work.

Now I’m thinking I’ll just loving abandon it though. What’s even the point?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

I. M. Gei posted:

Now I’m thinking I’ll just loving abandon it though. What’s even the point?

That was the question though? Why do you want a spinning death wheel? If we can understand the purpose, just maybe we can help you with your questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I'm gonna tell you as someone who is in the process of figuring out what mental "ism" I have through psychology, there's a key thing here:

A) don't build power tools if you're not entirely 100% sure of exactly what you're trying to achieve
B) don't build anything that can be powered and will hurt or kill you unless you're 100% sure you know what you're doing

I'm a mechanical engineer and I'm telling you right now, DO NOT build something with moving parts and power that have potential to kill you. There's a reason stuff is available off the shelf, and there's also a reason that some stuff goes through recalls due to safety concerns.

Idk if you're actually legit posting but I'm gonna tell you it straight: I, as a mechanical engineer who has operated CNC machines, designed equipment to be used in infant medical retrieval, heavy industrial truck bodies, specialist water treatment systems and nuclear process equipment, am telling you do not gently caress with stuff you "think" you can build, because "I think" isn't "I know" and even "I know" isn't always "I know".

But if you're not going to listen to me or anyone else here you've only yourself to blame.

If you wanna build something buy the correct equipment to do so, or use some at a makerspace or something.

/Rant