Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Motronic posted:

or just YOLO'd over the internet.

Stealing this phrase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Christoph posted:

When doing drywall mudding, is the consistency of the mud the same for seams as it is for inside corners? Or should it be different?

The only difference in my coats are the finish coat. I use the same mud for everything other than that, all at the same consistency. I switch to something lighter for finishing and I like it a bit thinner.

Certainly not the only way to do it, but that's how I learned for legit drywall guys.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Toilet up.

So PO used a pile of chips of shims - yes, a pile of chips of shims not just shims - to... attempt...? to level the toilet?

Neither bolt was in the flange right.

Flange is sitting well below the top of the flooring.

Looks like screws holding the flange down have no purchase, I think stripped or rot? It's not really secure to floor.

So I think I need flange extension(s), and new screws. If it is the wood, do I have any options for securing the flange to the damaged wood?

New shut off valve is workin nice!

Jenkl fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 3, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jenkl posted:

So I think I need flange extension(s), and new screws. If it is the wood, do I have any options for securing the flange to the damaged wood?

Are you sure the ring you got doesn't have that already (if you got a synthetic one)?

If you can't get it into the existing floor well enough due to rot use longer screws and put a piece of whatever you've got under there to grab the screw. 1x or 2x scraps would work just fine.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

drat mo thanks this better than wax thing does have a spacer included. I'll need to double check it's deep enough.

And I do have some scraps, plus longer screws.

Thanks!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

This got buried at the bottom of a page. I'm still a bit stuck here. If anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated

Hyperlynx posted:

I need to replace my window-winder (and, yes, clean my window)

I've seen winders for sale which have two chains that connect to the window, instead of just the one. I'd like to get one of those because the single chain ones always seem to have trouble sealing the window properly.

Do I just buy a drill and drill into the window, to attach the new pair of screws for the second chain? Is there anything I need to be aware of there, or can I just go for it?

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004
Lacking a pickup truck (I only have a 1998 Toyota Camry), is the safest way to get a 16 foot piece 2x6 from Lowes / Home Depot to get it delivered?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Jose Cuervo posted:

Lacking a pickup truck (I only have a 1998 Toyota Camry), is the safest way to get a 16 foot piece 2x6 from Lowes / Home Depot to get it delivered?

You could rent a truck or a van from Lowes/home depot, depending on if that's cheaper than delivery.

Do you have a friend with a truck?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
A roof, furniture pads, rope, and a flag. Tie the front and back to the bumpers, lash the rear doors shut. Put a red flag on the tail end, for safety.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

16 feet? A bungee cord hooked from the rear seat grab handles oughta do it!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Silly question but do you need the full 16' length? They'll do two cuts at the store for free if, say, you really just need two 6' lengths

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

A roof, furniture pads, rope, and a flag. Tie the front and back to the bumpers, lash the rear doors shut. Put a red flag on the tail end, for safety.

I was thinking this is what I would do, but I didn't know if groupthink here would approve.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

angryrobots posted:

I was thinking this is what I would do, but I didn't know if groupthink here would approve.

As long as its secured on all 3-planes, and you've flagged the stickie-outie bits, AND you remember to account for the stickie-outie bits as you work your way home, you should be fine.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

angryrobots posted:

For 1 board on random occasions? Eh. Stay off the freeways, take it slow, leave plenty of following distance. Think of it as car jousting/javelin throw. If you stop too hard or turn too fast you're going to have a 16' 2x6 projectile.

It should take you about twice as long to get home as it did to get to the store. Or it should at least feel that way.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

H110Hawk posted:

For 1 board on random occasions? Eh. Stay off the freeways, take it slow, leave plenty of following distance. Think of it as car jousting/javelin throw. If you stop too hard or turn too fast you're going to have a 16' 2x6 projectile.

It should take you about twice as long to get home as it did to get to the store. Or it should at least feel that way.

Yeah, a toyota camry is 16' long, for reference, so if you're driving something comparable the board won't really extend past your bumpers by much at all. Just take it easy and make sure it's secured as folks have already said.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Jose Cuervo posted:

This is easy--open both back windows and balance the board between the two... :)

Would suck getting one board delivered--$10 for the lumber and $60 for delivery. Tying to front and back bumper works--just make sure it can't bounce up and down and you'll be fine.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Don't the rear seats fold down? I would think having it hang out the rear end end 4-6' is probably better than trying to strap it to the roof.

edit: of course, I would have the store rough cut it down to pieces first. I can't imagine OP needs the entire 16' piece intact, but I dunno.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 3, 2020

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004
Thanks for all of the ideas. I do want the 16 foot board as a single piece (although I can cut it down closer to the final 14ft length that I need it in the parking lot with a hand saw).

I am going to try out the idea of strapping it down tight to the roof and taking the back roads with slow speed limits.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
not sure if this is a quick question or not so I made it its own thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950179

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Y’all have any recommendations for protecting concrete from oil stains? Just got a shiny new driveway poured (haven’t even parked a car on it yet because I’ve been waiting for it to cure), and I’m overdue for an oil change.

Before I didn’t mind the occasional driblet in gravel, but seeing as it’s all new like I’m not keen on the idea of trying to powerwash out errant stains. Really it’s just new owner syndrome and just trying to baby the thing until it gets the first scratch

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I have a chunk of old carpet in my shed that I throw down under my cars when I'm working on them. It's mostly for comfort and to keep bolts and sockets from bouncing when they inevitably get dropped, but it's also pretty good at picking up any dribbles during the process.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
For times when I know I’m going to be working with it, I just throw cardboard boxes from the recycling under the pan and plug.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hed posted:

For times when I know I’m going to be working with it, I just throw cardboard boxes from the recycling under the pan and plug.

yep I have cardboard for under the car.. and use it under my genny when running the leaky magnetic oil plug

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My new garage has only two outlets: the ceiling outlet for the door opener, and a NEMA 14-50R outlet on the back wall. Now, I have yet to find my tester (still boxed up) and verify that it is actually powered, but assuming it is indeed electrified: is there any safe and code-compliant way I can break that out into regular 110V outlets?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

My new garage has only two outlets: the ceiling outlet for the door opener, and a NEMA 14-50R outlet on the back wall. Now, I have yet to find my tester (still boxed up) and verify that it is actually powered, but assuming it is indeed electrified: is there any safe and code-compliant way I can break that out into regular 110V outlets?

You lose your car charger outlet doing this, but swapping the breaker to a 20A and finding nuts that go from whatever is in that box to #12 you could wire a duplex outlet into it with the tab broken out. Or replace it with the worlds smallest load center and add more downstream outlets.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

You lose your car charger outlet doing this, but swapping the breaker to a 20A and finding nuts that go from whatever is in that box to #12 you could wire a duplex outlet into it with the tab broken out. Or replace it with the worlds smallest load center and add more downstream outlets.

It's probably in a double gang box, so it'd be easy to split it into two receptacles.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Elviscat posted:

It's probably in a double gang box, so it'd be easy to split it into two receptacles.

I was mostly giving the absurd option. I also don't know the fill rules on a double gang box that's got like three #6 in there.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I have a gas fireplace in a just out of warranty (of course) new home. We're attempting to turn it on for this second winter and it's not firing up. It doesn't have a pilot light, instead it's electric ignition. We have gas for our stovetop, water heater and furnace and that all works so I don't think it's a gas issue but rather an ignition issue. When we press the switch on the wall the little ignition spark doesn't do anything.

Do ya'll have any troubleshooting advice? I have a non-contact tester as well as a multimeter but don't have any idea where I'd use them here.

It's a Napoleon Ascent 36 - Imgur Album

Semi-related, once I get this working again, is there an approved method to seal off the hole where the gas line comes in? It lets a small bit of cold air into our house from the crawlspace which ideally I'd like to insulate that spot but I can imagine a lot of products not being suitable for the heat of the fire?

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

There are high-temperature silicone caulks for sealing.
For insulating, rockwool would work I believe.

My first troubleshooting question would be, does it have power at all?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Jenkl posted:

There are high-temperature silicone caulks for sealing.
For insulating, rockwool would work I believe.

My first troubleshooting question would be, does it have power at all?

I'll check into those products. Thanks.

My wife just hit the switch and it worked, the fire is on. Sooooo seems like it's a sometimes fault/issue which is I'm sure harder to troubleshoot just like anything else.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
I had a similar gas fireplace problem. The wall switch itself went bad. The low current leads to poor contact cleaning in the switch and they can start making intermittent contact relatively quickly. You can verify this by jumping the terminals directly on the fireplace, or pulling the switch and jumping it out to test.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
Fastener sizing question.

I'm planning to mount a network/server rack in the basement to a 2.5" thick wood "wall" (the outside of a stairway).

The rack itself weighs 40lbs and can hold up to 200lbs so let's say 250lbs of weight max.

Of course my naïve first instinct is to go for broke since this will house thousands of $ worth of crap, so I started a home depot cart with 3/4" plywood as a mounting surface and four 3/8" lag bolts to secure the rack. But then I realized I have some 1/4" ply and 1/4" bolts lying around, which could save me money/time/COVID exposure/unnecessarily huge holes, etc.

Four 3/8" bolts (2-2.5" long) to hold up 250lbs in this config is way way over-spec'ing, right? 1/4" is totally sufficient? Please comfort or correct me!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

admiraldennis posted:

Fastener sizing question.

I'm planning to mount a network/server rack in the basement to a 2.5" thick wood "wall" (the outside of a stairway).

The rack itself weighs 40lbs and can hold up to 200lbs so let's say 250lbs of weight max.

Of course my naïve first instinct is to go for broke since this will house thousands of $ worth of crap, so I started a home depot cart with 3/4" plywood as a mounting surface and four 3/8" lag bolts to secure the rack. But then I realized I have some 1/4" ply and 1/4" bolts lying around, which could save me money/time/COVID exposure/unnecessarily huge holes, etc.

Four 3/8" bolts (2-2.5" long) to hold up 250lbs in this config is way way over-spec'ing, right? 1/4" is totally sufficient? Please comfort or correct me!

https://www.fastenal.com/en/84/load-calculator

The shear strength of your average hardware store 1/4" lag bolt is well above what you need, and I assume you're using 4 of them. Then there's the whole part where if the bolts are tight most of the shear load is being take up by the interface of the rack to the wall.

Why the plywood? You should be able to mount it to studs or throw in an extra stud or a piece between studs if the spacing isn't working out.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

TacoHavoc posted:

I had a similar gas fireplace problem. The wall switch itself went bad. The low current leads to poor contact cleaning in the switch and they can start making intermittent contact relatively quickly. You can verify this by jumping the terminals directly on the fireplace, or pulling the switch and jumping it out to test.

If the wall switch is bad is there a recommended replacement brand? I'll see about checking this if/when it happens again.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

Motronic posted:

https://www.fastenal.com/en/84/load-calculator

The shear strength of your average hardware store 1/4" lag bolt is well above what you need, and I assume you're using 4 of them. Then there's the whole part where if the bolts are tight most of the shear load is being take up by the interface of the rack to the wall.

Why the plywood? You should be able to mount it to studs or throw in an extra stud or a piece between studs if the spacing isn't working out.

Thanks - that's a great link, and also great to know that's the right number to be looking at.

I think the plywood idea is just more of the overbuilding instinct. I'm happy to get this done with less materials if it makes no difference.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

admiraldennis posted:

Thanks - that's a great link, and also great to know that's the right number to be looking at.

I think the plywood idea is just more of the overbuilding instinct. I'm happy to get this done with less materials if it makes no difference.

If you can hit studs on each side of the rack I don't see what the plywood gets you. It's probably a net negative.

Yes, I know you've seen telecom panels in machine/utility rooms with a sheet of plywood on the wall. That's because we're mounting all kinds of non-standard sized things that mostly aren't wide enough to fit across studs, and the plywood can also be used for cable management.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I'm running an extension cord for my xmas lights out through a window, so it is going to stay cracked for the duration of the holidays. What can I put in the crack to keep bugs out (and the weather a little bit, but this isn't a big deal because I live in central texas)? I think any old uv-proof foam would do but my searching has lead to products that cost about ten times what I'm willing to pay for a gap-filler. I'd sooner put some old t-shirts in the hole than pay jeff bezos 20 dollars for some disposable foam.

Edit: Nevermind. Adding the expensive version to my cart led me to the cheap solution in a sponsored ad: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018UTRN5W/ref=crt_ewc_title_huc_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AJ2E053E4MKC5

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 5, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Does anyone here know much about what drives the recommended slopes for wheelchair ramps? My dad's asked me to build a ramp in their back yard, in anticipation of when he won't be able to walk any more. I'm seeing a recommended slope no greater than 1:12, and we have a 13" vertical distance to cover. If I went straight out from the back yard door 13', then that'd drop him in the middle of the lawn, and if I stuck a 90 degree turn in then the construction gets a lot more complicated, plus of course the ramp takes up more space.

It'd be a lot easier if I could go out only 8'; that gives enough room at the base of the ramp for maneuvering, but means that the slope is about 60% greater than recommended. Does that put it squarely into "absolutely not" territory, or is this the kind of thing where the recommended design is accessible to people with extremely minimal capabilities and most people can handle a greater slope?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I hesitate to be the first to respond, because IANAGC, but you're probably going to have to pull a permit to install a ramp. Code will align with the ADA, where the 1:12 slope requirement is laid out. In practical advice, my grandfather's powered wheelchair would climb a 2:12 slope with ease, but it would be pretty drat hard to climb in a regular wheelchair.

Maybe a landing outside the back door with a 90, then a 7' descent along the side of the house, another landing with a 180, then a final 7' descent to ground level? A little more material cost, but more compact, and beats ADA requirements. Plus you could hang stairs off one of the sides of the top landing for everyone else.

e. What if he goes into a walker before he goes down into a wheelchair? I'd definitely want to be at 1:12 or better in that case. Steep slopes are hell to navigate with a walker.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I'm not an expert ramp builder, but I built a little ramp to cover a single step for my father when he was in a wheelchair, and followed the same logic as you. It was a disaster.

You can't get away with cheating, the ramp has to be 1:12, it's too hard to propel a wheelchair up anything steeper.

E:like literally the same dimensions with the same considerations, I had to rebuild it.