Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Eggplant Squire posted:

I never understand Japanese character poll results anyway.

It is funny that Mustard is on there at all.

I'm surprised we never got back to that kid. Like, I'm not expecting some deep backstory out anything, but I thought we would at least get a one page explanation or something on why this kid is rolling with a bunch of serial killers.

I want to know who the big Shindo fans are in Japan and how much did they spend to get him in the top 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
lmfao at Deku being able to use blackwhip from anywhere

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eggplant Squire posted:

I never understand Japanese character poll results anyway.

It is funny that Mustard is on there at all.

The only thing you need to know:

Kobeni is less popular than her own car.

This is the true essence of popularity polls.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

chiasaur11 posted:

They did a poll in the US that I think was online a few times. Results were pretty similar to Japan, with Bakugo, Deku, and Shoto tending to have high spots. There's been a few oddities (like Toga getting a podium position once, or the 2019 poll having Kirishima beat Deku) and girls tend to do better, but overall, nothing terribly shocking.

Chainsaw Man, Jujutsu Kaisen, and Act Age all had open online polling, if memory serves, which gave some of the highest vote totals in Jump's history. It was in Japanese, but foreign voters were able to get involved.

If we're trying to break down voter demos, then I think fujos are probably a significant factor, especially for this format. Since you needed to buy volumes to vote in this poll, a fan willing to drop significant money is going to have a disproportional impact on overall results. Historically, one of the fan groups most willing to go out of their way to buy merch, write doujins, and the like has always been fujos. Doesn't seem too conspiratorial to think a few of them will drop enough money to show up on polls like this. (Especially not when Shindo is in the top ten. I mean, what?)

I mean, I've heard stories of someone buying dozens of copies of Jump to get his favorite Nisekoi girl first place in the poll. It's not about guys or girls. It's just fandom.
It is not incorrect to say that fujos are a big part of MHA character polling- last go around someone spent $4000 to vote for Bakugou multiple times.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Fabricated posted:

It is not incorrect to say that fujos are a big part of MHA character polling- last go around someone spent $4000 to vote for Bakugou multiple times.

To be fair that’s unfortunately not an uncommon fan practice, whether they were a fujoshi or not

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

serious gaylord posted:

lmfao at Deku being able to use blackwhip from anywhere

(Chapter spoilers)Since he's using Tsuyu's technique for using it from his mouth maybe he'll sprout it from his lower back and use some of Ojiro's tail moves too.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RatHat posted:

(Chapter spoilers)Since he's using Tsuyu's technique for using it from his mouth maybe he'll sprout it from his lower back and use some of Ojiro's tail moves too.

What everyone expected: Deku sharing his power with everyone else in his class.

What is happening: Deku doing everyone else's tricks himself but better.

(I'm joking, in case it's not obvious.)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Roland Jones posted:

What everyone expected: Deku sharing his power with everyone else in his class.

What is happening: Deku doing everyone else's tricks himself but better.

(I'm joking, in case it's not obvious.)

You joke. But I think this actually is what's happening.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Fabricated posted:

I don't know what a fujo is, but the problem could be solved by sending one confirmation email for every dollar spent that also gently mocks them for spending money to vote in a character poll. I reckon most people would stop at the ten dollar mark.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's crazy how often people jump to the dang Fujos for why characters they think are boring keep getting votes.

I've got no clue how Shindo is maintaining his spot but are people really shocked that Todoroki and Kirishima are popular?

RareAcumen posted:

It's always a woman to blame behind why people don't agree with me!

drat, some people really need their morning coffee.

Nobody was saying the top 3 don’t 100% make sense for being there, it’s when you look at things like loving Shindo being in the top 10 and 1 through 11 being entirely male and the more conventionally handsome/pretty ones in the cast at that, that it starts to look a bit wonky.

There’s no fujoshi conspiracy or anything (except for Shindo :v:), most of those characters are very heavily featured in the story and would be universally quite popular, it’s just funny how lopsided this particular poll is.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://bokunoheroacademia.fandom.com/wiki/Popularity_Polls

You can see a lot of the old polls here, they’re sorta interesting to look at. When it comes to the big three characters both sides of the pond are pretty consistent about it, with Kirishima, Eraser and Hawks also being universally popular.

We mostly traded Endeavor for All Might and Tintin :v:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I don't know what a fujo is, but the problem could be solved by sending one confirmation email for every dollar spent that also gently mocks them for spending money to vote in a character poll. I reckon most people would stop at the ten dollar mark.

I feel like Jump is more than happy to see people spending thousands of dollars on their stuff just to get extra votes on a popularity poll.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

https://bokunoheroacademia.fandom.com/wiki/Popularity_Polls

You can see a lot of the old polls here, they’re sorta interesting to look at. When it comes to the big three characters both sides of the pond are pretty consistent about it, with Kirishima, Eraser and Hawks also being universally popular.

We mostly traded Endeavor for All Might and Tintin :v:

Bakugo kinda has a meteoric rise here, dang.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

I think the point is it's not really a dilemma, he attempted to murder All for One instead of capture him, and here All for One is back again having not died and not been captured. But I could be remembering wrong I will admit.

It's definitely during the fight though, off the top of my head All Might literally says I made a mistake and am rectifying that mistake now to All for One when they discuss their last fight, with the contextual suggestion that by going in with murderous intent All Might got distracted and ultimately took his injury from not thinking clearly and trying to capture All for One instead of kill him.
I remember All Might saying he made a mistake but the context was that he didn't manage to finish AFO off. I'm fairly certain you're not remembering this right solely because a much bigger deal would have been made out of it in-story from a Doylist point of view.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I might be wrong myself but I generally understood that encounter to be akin to Superian killing The Terror in Amazon's The Tick, wherein the latter was thought to be dead because the only trace of him remaining was his teeth embedded in a wall.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The lack of Mirko and Mina on that poll confuses and infuriates me.

Probably Magic posted:

Absolutely baffled as to what Todoroki's appeal is.

He's MHA's Gaara.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Mina is not a popular character outside of this thread. I'm sorry.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The character poll has always been wrong because it does not reflect my favorites specifically

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Hori has a weird obsession with kinda offbeat color palettes for his poll pictures

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Kirishima refuses to wear a shirt.

Aizawa looks the best out of all of them.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

He's MHA's Gaara.

Aw gently caress... this hits deep... I like Gaara... drat.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ChronoReverse posted:

I remember All Might saying he made a mistake but the context was that he didn't manage to finish AFO off. I'm fairly certain you're not remembering this right solely because a much bigger deal would have been made out of it in-story from a Doylist point of view.
It works either way really, if AFO had been dead OR in jail he could not have set up Shigaraki, or at least, so we assume.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
If you can't trust the integrity of the popularity polls, what can you trust?

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Only trust your fists.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Finally, Shigaraki joins the hero team.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
somebody do fanart of Bakugou replicating that picture of Johnny Fiveaces jumping off the exploding zeppelin

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Interesting that Aizawa is wearing an eye-patch in the art...

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SgtSteel91 posted:

That's just his Kakashi upgrade.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

I mean, Deku still has limbs in that so I wouldn’t read much into it

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Aizawa will evolve into Majima at the end of this arc.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Funky Valentine posted:

Aizawa will evolve into Majima at the end of this arc.

DEKU-CHAN~!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

RAW rear end SCANS ARE OUT!!

SHADOW TONGUE POWER :allears:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

A thousand doujin artists just picked up their pens

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Wait, Nejire is still kicking, Mirio has his powers back, Bakugo's still got some fight left, Deku is using Blackwhip as a tongue, and Momo's plan to feed Gigantomachia fuckton of tranquilizers actually worked, albeit with delay?

gently caress yes!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

So Eri rewinding Mirio is something all the characters knew about, it just happened off-panel. Godammit.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
English

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I cant believe they gave momo a win

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Shout out to all the speed scanners who think they're funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU