Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Cartoon Man posted:

Boba Fett made his “non cameo” debut on Mando today, he kicked rear end and hosed up a whole platoon of Stormtroopers before he got his armor back. It was pretty cool! He also confirmed that his dad Jango was a foundling Mandolorian and fought in the Mando Civil war. Looks like he’s going to be a cool cat and partner up with Din for at least the last few episodes. It also squashed all the rumors that he’s a dumbass that can’t really fight.

It's not a rumor, and the movies didn't change. He is clearly a dork who can't fight, in the movies. He seems fairly smart though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Everything made sense to me when I saw "Directed by Robert Rodriguez" at the end.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmao it’s like my childhood dream come to life. RR, Boba Fett, dark troopers lmao. I love it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Boba had knee missiles too so it’s only a matter of time until we get knee lightsabers...

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

More like Boba Fat, his big belly is making me laugh

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The shift from George Lucas intentionally making his villains not actually be the super cool badasses their costumes suggest to the Darth Vader slaughter scene in Rogue One (and I guess Boba Fett now) is really dull and uninteresting.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s not. Bad villain make for lovely stories.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It seems clear that that villains' deeds being as badass as their appearance and demeanor, or not as badass, is a stylistic choice that can be made differently depending on the goals of the surrounding story

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Darth Vader in Rogue One is less about making him cool and more about making him frightening. A lot of the movie shows the Imperial ships and walkers and such as extremely huge and powerful compared to the small human characters, and the end shows Darth Vader as a smaller but no less powerful Imperial war machine, slicing his way effortlessly through soft human flesh etc

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
It doesn't feel like Disney, outside of the comics that nobody reads, is willing to follow the overall prequel thesis that Anakin becoming Darth Vader was a tragedy and is only going to focus on Darth Vader doing cool and powerful things.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

don't care if it's dumb or fanservice-y the darth vader scene in rogue one fuckin rocks. they should make a darth vader monster/slasher flick

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
darth vader's 'horror/slasher flick' is just an extended sequence of him killing the women and children, too, either at the tusken village or at the jedi temple.

all the potential horror movie protagonists are either killed by other people, remove three of his limbs and leave him for dead, or are hiding on a swamp/desert nobody knows about.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
He's brutally killing all the good guys! Why do you think that makes him likeable??!?!?!?!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Rogue One Vader is fighting to kill Leia in the past, and thereby prevent Episodes 8 and 9 from being made. I’ll leave it at that.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Rogue One Vader is fighting to kill Leia in the past, and thereby prevent Episodes 8 and 9 from being made. I’ll leave it at that.

... gently caress, I'd watch TermiVader.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Blood Boils posted:

gently caress outta here any y'all thinking Ross is worse than Jurassic World

At least skywalker is funny in it's badness! JW is just wretchedly awful

Who the gently caress is Ross and which Star War was he in?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Rise Of Skywalker

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Revenge Of Sith

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rogue One Sucks

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Rite Only Sacronyms

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Rewrites Optimize Success

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

of the three sets of trilogies, (and they will be rebooted) I still think the most recent three are the easiest to "fix". All three have interesting stuff in them, it just has a disjointed through-line. The trilogy that would be the hardest to reboot/remake of course is the OG, because they are held in such high regard. Cynics would point to Jedi as the easiest to fix, but getting rid of Ewoks would get rid of the 80's charm of it, and the ending is still the most "Jedi" and anti-Hollywood ending of the entire series.

Prequels being tweaked would be the most fun to make "better," while still keeping the core tenets that make them good. (Jedi hubris, Palp pulling the strings). (Personally I'd have the Vader transformation be hinted at/ happen at the end of movie two so that movie three is the break down as Vader murders Jedi, is truly terrifying at the height of his young Sith Power).

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Moving up the Anakin to Vader transformation would solely be able trying to make Vader cool, which he's not. The fact that his evil acts depicted in the movies are murdering natives (which nobody in the movies even feels bad about other than him), Jedi children, and then othered alien capitalists is more important to his arc than giving him fight scenes against "equal" Jedi opponents. Especially since its only the younglings that anybody cares about at all. The "good" Jedi were given free hands to kill whatever aliens they felt like if they were painted as the baddies.

e: We even saw the height of his Jedi powers as Darth Vader. He lost to Obi-wan who didn't want to kill him but felt forced to do so (he thought) by Vader's blind rage.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 5, 2020

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Ghost Leviathan posted:

SPECTRE was a real disappointment for me for a number of reasons, but mostly because I really thought they were building up a Solid Bond/Liquid Bond confrontation (I suppose they already kinda did that in Skyfall, but still) and deep down I'm still waiting for a Bond movie to finally end with Bond vs a Metal Gear.
Let's do it
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1334908459842752525

DeimosRising posted:

It's not a rumor, and the movies didn't change. He is clearly a dork who can't fight, in the movies. He seems fairly smart though.
Checks out

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Shiroc posted:

Moving up the Anakin to Vader transformation would solely be able trying to make Vader cool, which he's not. The fact that his evil acts depicted in the movies are murdering natives (which nobody in the movies even feels bad about other than him), Jedi children, and then othered alien capitalists is more important to his arc than giving him fight scenes against "equal" Jedi opponents. Especially since its only the younglings that anybody cares about at all. The "good" Jedi were given free hands to kill whatever aliens they felt like if they were painted as the baddies.

No. I'd move it up so that he would be more terrible. He'd still murder all the younglings as just Anakin, but in the third one he'd do worse as Vader, because he's not just hateful but bitter about being burned as well. Not "cool". Tragic and terrifying.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
yeah i think it's relevant that nearly all the jedi get shot in the back, and die, rather than getting some Valiant Last Stand Against Evil

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
He killed the younglings as Vader. Naming has power in the movies.

What would he actually do that's *worse* than what he's already shown doing that wouldn't be pointless grimdark violence?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Vader as a figure dispensing awesome violence wouldn't be appropriate in the story about how and why he became Vader, if for no other reason than because from his perspective, the violence he dispensed beforehand was much more awesome. But it could be appropriate in a story about brave people who fear him.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

ungulateman posted:

yeah i think it's relevant that nearly all the jedi get shot in the back, and die, rather than getting some Valiant Last Stand Against Evil

Ki Adi Mundi is the only one who sees it coming and it doesn't make any difference. That's genuinely a great scene.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Well, and Yoda and Obi-Wan.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Well, and Yoda and Obi-Wan.

Obi Wan is shot in the back and completely blind sided. He survives through pure luck. It's a cool thing that lines up with the Jedi being myopic idiots the rest of the movies.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I love the little detail in the end of the Yoda vs. Sheev fight that it doesn't actually end with Yoda conclusively beaten in the fight. They have their wizard thing, it blows up, Yoda falls to the ground and accepts defeat. But Sheev is himself dangling with one hand, barely hanging onto the platform, while still laughing his rear end off. Yoda just realizes that even if he killed Sheev, its all over anyway.

Then the movie skips over the scene where someone needed to drag Sheev back up before he falls.

e: This sort of fits with the characterization in the OT. Obi-wan is more convinced that Luke needs to go kill Vader and the Sheev because he won his fight but thinks the failure was just not actually killing Vader. Yoda's position is more ambiguous other than he knows Luke ultimately needs to confront them.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 5, 2020

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The Jedi always had the might they needed to defeat the Sith—Obi-Wan did it in single combat, twice!—but they failed anyway.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Yeah, Obi-Wan has a very consistent characterization through the prequels. He actually is the swashbuckling Jedi hero from the moment he avenges his mentor Qui-Gon. He forces the Jedi to let him train Anakin because of his dutiful promise. He goes on the cool detective adventure to solve the mystery and fights a bounty hunter. He saves Sheev, sneaks into the enemy camp, gets quips, beats the enemy leader, rides a cool horse. He's The Guy.

It just turns out that being that kind of hero isn't what the situation needed at all.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The sequence where he kills General Grievous is full Indiana Jones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_psg8s9I2Bg

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

romanowski posted:

don't care if it's dumb or fanservice-y the darth vader scene in rogue one fuckin rocks. they should make a darth vader monster/slasher flick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg0rXa1WnZc

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Watching Attack of the Clones for the first time in a decade and... this poo poo is really good :confused:

I guess it took me watching Clone Wars and Mandalorian to finally get over the stiffness and goofiness.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Who the gently caress is Ross and which Star War was he in?

Lol I didn't see that, Spellcheck agrees it's lame!

feedmyleg posted:

Watching Attack of the Clones for the first time in a decade and... this poo poo is really good :confused:

I guess it took me watching Clone Wars and Mandalorian to finally get over the stiffness and goofiness.

One of us one of us gooble gabble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zoran posted:

The Jedi always had the might they needed to defeat the Sith—Obi-Wan did it in single combat, twice!—but they failed anyway.

Probably some fitting irony that Sidious literally gives the Jedi an army.