Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Carlosologist posted:

I don’t think it’s fair to rag on Momo given that the plan worked. This thread has a weird hangup with hair

Momo is supposed to be the top girl student in the class and she consistently shits the bed or wins*. It sucks to read something in 2020 where you just expect it's gonna be "but the boys will save the day" as it always has in everything else of this genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simulation883
Jan 1, 2007
It is unfortunate that shonen manga generally can only focus on those who hit hardest as heroes. I can definitely see Momo being an amazing rescue hero. It was hinted at during the Provisional Exam. If they could project Gigantomachia's path I am sure Momo could've figured out a way to safely evacuate those areas, as opposed to taking on Gigatomachia himself.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Wow that was a hell of a chapter.

:dance: ERI CAN CONTROL REWIND!!! :dance:

:getin: FROPPY STYLE!!! :getin:

:hellyeah: GREAT EXPLOSION MURDER GOD DYNAMITE!!! :hellyeah:

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Personally I won't be happy until Mina challenges Gigantomachia to and beats him at a breakdancing competition.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

rannum posted:

for example, this one, where it did work but only after gigantamachia managed to tear through the forces at the mountain and then charge through a chunk of japan & successfully complete his mission to reach shigaraki

But! It is nice that the sedative worked at all! Its a much better, and more understandable considering the other losses taken on this whole expedition, asterisk than the class battle, which was stupid. Especially if it means someone is detained here & now by the end of this fight instead of escaping.

anyway looking forward to idk toga i guess using gigantamachia blood or something? She's still playing catch up so who knows how that'll shake out

Toga only gets to use the quirks of people she loves so unless she very suddenly developed some feelings for Machia I don't think that's happening

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Blockhouse posted:

Toga only gets to use the quirks of people she loves so unless she very suddenly developed some feelings for Machia I don't think that's happening

Considering she's only done it once, it doesn't seem too far out of the realm of possibility that she's wrong about the limitations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Considering she's only done it once, it doesn't seem too far out of the realm of possibility that she's wrong about the limitations.

I guess but narratively it doesn't make sense for such an obvious thematic thing to be wrong just for the sake of a gotcha

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blockhouse posted:

I guess but narratively it doesn't make sense for such an obvious thematic thing to be wrong just for the sake of a gotcha

As part of her redemption/heel-face turn at the end, Toga discovers agape, unconditional love for her fellow man, and becomes capable of emulating the quirks of anyone she becomes.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Dabi just hugging Shoto to death is a primo moment

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Blockhouse posted:

It doesn't seem like it would be a gotcha to me. Her proclamation of how it works after only doing it once reads to me like jumping to conclusions, so in that light I'm almost expecting her to be wrong. Though I'm trying to think of a fun way for that to pay off, and I'm drawing a blank. She already made the discovery once by being backed into a corner.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Speaking of Toga, where is she? She gonna lay low or do something here?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Carlosologist posted:

I don’t think it’s fair to rag on Momo given that the plan worked. This thread has a weird hangup with hair

It's another asterisk win with fine print attached. The plan seems to be working - after Machia mowed down a ton of cities like an angry Kool Aid Man and delivered the LoV to the point where they could support/save Shigaraki. So yes, the primary goal of "Momo wants to slow down/stop Machia with sedatives" seems to be working, but not at all cleanly.

Her never getting a clean win is one of the primary complaints!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I’m pretty sure the only clean win I can think of in the entire series was Izuku vs Gentle Criminal. I’m sure there are more, but seriously clean wins are pretty rare in this series and usually involve the winner being an overwhelming unbeatable force for the loser.

Heck Gentle Criminal was only a clean win because the teachers were cool and Gentle outright lied for Izuku.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lord_Magmar posted:

I’m pretty sure the only clean win I can think of in the entire series was Izuku vs Gentle Criminal. I’m sure there are more, but seriously clean wins are pretty rare in this series and usually involve the winner being an overwhelming unbeatable force for the loser.

Heck Gentle Criminal was only a clean win because the teachers were cool and Gentle outright lied for Izuku.

A lot of the wins in the series have consequences or collateral damage, but most of them actually result in the villain/opponent being successfully stopped from achieving their goal.

This is kind of like if the kids beat up Stain, then Stain walked away and killed Endeavor or something before falling over. They did technically win by stopping the villain, but the villain accomplished his primary goal.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He didn't accomplish his primary goal though? I'd say saving Shigaraki was far more the goal than getting to Shigaraki and y'know the villain's are still looking to be on the losing end here. It's like saying that defeating Shigaraki isn't a victory because he managed to kill Gran Torino first.

It's still not a meaningful victory because there's no real weight since it happened 10 chapters ago and was more about Mina and Kirishima anyway, but in the end the Big Kaiju Man was unable to save his boss due to ingesting an immense amount of anaesthesia.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Rhonne posted:

I'm still placing my bets on everyone but Toga getting captured here and her helping to break them out later.

everyone getting captured and then toga doing a big break out would be pretty cool

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Roland Jones posted:

As part of her redemption/heel-face turn at the end, Toga discovers agape, unconditional love for her fellow man, and becomes capable of emulating the quirks of anyone she becomes.
This could actually work if she generalizes it to friendship... and has some of Twice's blood.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

so what was the point of all those scenes of someone asking if mirio was going to use eri's quirk to get his powers back, followed by mirio looking solemn and not saying anything

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

fractalairduct posted:

so what was the point of all those scenes of someone asking if mirio was going to use eri's quirk to get his powers back, followed by mirio looking solemn and not saying anything
Same thing that happened with the traitor subplot

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
As much as I've been enjoying it something about this entire plot does feel off to me. It kinda feels like at some point Horikoshi's plans for the manga were massively changed and he's now doing a bunch of things he was saving for closer to the actual finale. I have no real basis for this outside of this just having that feel to it.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

fractalairduct posted:

I don't think it was dropped. He feels like by asking this, he’s using her for her power (same as Overhaul) which is why he apologizes when asking her to rewind himself.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 7, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah. In retrospect, it's pretty clear that he wanted to ask, but couldn't bring himself to because he felt like it'd be using her. Meanwhile, Eri, pure sweet Eri, was just like "yeah, duh, that's why I'm training!"

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I don't understand why Midoriya was surprised to see him

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Momo completely incapacitated one of the most powerful villains in the series with a clever plan. You can throw the word asterisk around as much as you want, but it doesn't make the win any less decisive. It feels like a lot of people just wanted her to have a nice easy win against an enemy that has been built up as an incredibly major threat with no complications at all, which would be dumb.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

tweet my meat posted:

Momo completely incapacitated one of the most powerful villains in the series with a clever plan. You can throw the word asterisk around as much as you want, but it doesn't make the win any less decisive. It feels like a lot of people just wanted her to have a nice easy win against an enemy that has been built up as an incredibly major threat with no complications at all, which would be dumb.

Okay pal

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I can't remember, was Momo given the anesthetic and told "hey, use this on Machia" or did she create the anesthetic herself (I can't even remember if she can make stuff like that)? Cause if it's just the former, then whatever - Momo did indeed accomplish exactly what she was supposed to do, not her fault that what she was given to use sucked at doing what it was meant to do and only kicked in after Machia cut a swathe of destruction across the country.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

She specifically made it herself, and it was literally the strongest anaesthetic she knew of, in an amount that would kill a bull elephant or a small whale or something. Like it was a literally illegal strength knockout drug. But that doesn’t really make her a failure when almost nobody else could have done anything at all about Gigantomachia, and she’s ultimately neutralised him at a critical juncture for the League of Villains. This is just as much a win as Izuku killing himself to stop Shigaraki from being able to keep on fighting, even though lots of people died to Shigaraki’s rampage.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 7, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think the takeaway for me here is I hope this is a sign that Momo's going to get more Wins, and not a return to form of her getting Wins*. Seriously, was there any reason to add the bit where Momo misses the lever in her exam battle with Shoto? It didn't change the plot, or the outcome of the battle, literally the only reason that moment existed was to undermine Momo's victory.

Edit: I think the only way I'd stop being mad about that particular plot development is if it turns out to be slow-burn foreshadowing that Momo is the traitor and doesn't want to seem too competent.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 7, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

PMush Perfect posted:

I think the takeaway for me here is I hope this is a sign that Momo's going to get more Wins, and not a return to form of her getting Wins*. Seriously, was there any reason to add the bit where Momo misses the lever in her exam battle with Shoto? It didn't change the plot, or the outcome of the battle, literally the only reason that moment exists was to undermine Momo's victory.

It shows that like Izuku still having to learn again and again methods of fighting and solutions beyond break yourself, or Bakugo having a long arduous journey of learning to save people instead of just fight, or Todoroki having to keep working on his complex emotions about Endeavour and their family; just getting her head in the game isn’t enough to completely fix Momo’s problems, she still has more room to grow and improve. Same as every other supposed asterisk to her Wins. It also ties into the victory of other teams where the teachers were intentionally leaving openings and making mistakes to make the exam more fair.

Basically everyone complains that Izuku Bakugo and Shoto are the only character’s getting narrative arcs. Yet Momo has a clear arc of slow growth and lots of people complain about it as infuriating and bullshit.

They’re first year students, they’re all meant to have space to grow, and for Momo that’s gaining confidence and capabilities under pressure and in real situations, so as to live up to her incredible theoretical potential as a hero. Compare her to Todoroki, who has all the training and it’s clear Momo is simply at the start of a long journey, instead of having been trained(abused/traumatised) since a young age to be the perfect hero.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 7, 2020

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Isn't it only like 8 months in-universe from the beginning of Year 1?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Viridiant posted:

As much as I've been enjoying it something about this entire plot does feel off to me. It kinda feels like at some point Horikoshi's plans for the manga were massively changed and he's now doing a bunch of things he was saving for closer to the actual finale. I have no real basis for this outside of this just having that feel to it.

I feel the same. I was half expecting a restored All Might to show up to go with all the other rear end pulls we've gotten recently.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SKULL.GIF posted:

Isn't it only like 8 months in-universe from the beginning of Year 1?

I think we are a few weeks away from break and the start of year 2.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Nessus posted:

This could actually work if she generalizes it to friendship... and has some of Twice's blood.

This is what I was thinking of too. Twice is the perhaps the only other person I think she could replicate the quirk of at this point and it would be the perfect way for the league to get out of this sans Gigantomachia.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think we are a few weeks away from break and the start of year 2.

How convenient to have a time skip where the cities/school is rebuilt and everyone recovers just in time for the beginning of their second year

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lord_Magmar posted:

Basically everyone complains that Izuku Bakugo and Shoto are the only character’s getting narrative arcs. Yet Momo has a clear arc of slow growth and lots of people complain about it as infuriating and bullshit.

They’re first year students, they’re all meant to have space to grow, and for Momo that’s gaining confidence and capabilities under pressure and in real situations, so as to live up to her incredible theoretical potential as a hero. Compare her to Todoroki, who has all the training and it’s clear Momo is simply at the start of a long journey, instead of having been trained(abused/traumatised) since a young age to be the perfect hero.

Not really. One of the big problems with Momo's "arc" is that the series is trying to make it happen by recontextualizing outright losses as stalemates or victories. And, granted, the reason this is happening here is probably because Machia needs to be in a specific place for the rest of this finale, but it doesn't change the way it's felt. When Itsuka went, "I don't feel like I won" in the 1-B stuff, everyone hated it because it felt just false. The series isn't even showing the struggle or inviting us into Momo's headspace, it's just doing the worst possible thing: trying to convince us Momo is doing better without actually showing us that. The impact of Machia's anesthetic failure has already been felt several chapters ago because it was a huge moment for the team. And we already have the "oh no, it didn't work!" moment with everyone feeling depressed. By delaying the moment to here, it robs it of any victory because now the thought is: "well, why didn't it work? Did Momo screw up" and "wow, Machia sure destroyed a ton of this city in the time that took to activate!"

Back when I was really into Shokugeki no Souma, they did the exact same thing with Megumi, having her lose repeatedly to show growth, and I eventually got completely fed up with it. This feels a lot like that.

I honestly think Horikoshi is much better at plotting than he is at robust character arcs.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

when's Eri gonna revert All Might to before the injury

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Or revert herself to before she could control her powers :tinfoil:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Arist posted:

Back when I was really into Shokugeki no Souma, they did the exact same thing with Megumi, having her lose repeatedly to show growth, and I eventually got completely fed up with it. This feels a lot like that.

Yeah I pretty much can't look at Momo without Tadokoro coming to mind and it's not a positive thing despite liking the latter. Just extremely similar vibes.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

we'll be okay until midoriya's dad turns out to be a weird food nazi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
It's funny how momo gets a bunch of losses and "well actually" wins throughout the series which rightfully annoys everyone, but the moment she gets an unequivocal win over one of the most powerful characters in the series, half the thread is tripping over each other to try and attach their own "well actually" to it.