Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

saintonan posted:

If we make places to live actually nice then only rich people will be able to live there so we have to make housing just as lovely and unpleasant as absolutely possible.

This is the subtext of a lot of local politics but usually people don't just say it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

saintonan posted:

On the other hand, this will lift his grift status. If Trump can get $200 million out of a very obvious lost cause, Brockhouse has to be thinking there's some more money there for him.

I bet Brockhouse does think that, but I also suspect that he may be an idiot for thinking there's going to be that much money to be had a) in San Antonio and b) after it sinks in with the MAGA crowd that Trump really did lose.

Or I could be the idiot for once again underestimating the appetite for Trumpian grifters.

edit:

zoux posted:

I just think that pronouncements that Trump is the kingmaker for the GOP for the foreseeable future isn't foreseeing how deeply unpopular he's going to become after he's out of office.

I think this too, because a lot of the momentum behind Trump is sustainable only as long as he's a "winner", and that's gonna be a hard label to keep once he's been owned by the libs and someone else is in the White House, no matter how much he whines about the election. But I'm also worried that I'm inclined to think this because I want it to be so, not because I'm fully convinced it will be so.

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 8, 2020

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Blotto_Otter posted:

Or I could be the idiot for once again underestimating the appetite for Trumpian grifters.

I'm constantly astounded at how adept political parties are in separating money from idiots.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whatever news network Trump takes over or starts is going to be chock full to the gills of charlatans and grifters. Trump isn't "good at TV", Mark Burnett is good at TV. Trump isn't good at anything. He's also facing multiple state investigations, has half a billion in personally guaranteed debt coming due next year, and isn't going to be able to use the power of the presidency to obstruct justice after January 20. He's also never going to stop whining about getting robbed in the election like a sad loser.

Blotto_Otter posted:

But I'm also worried that I'm inclined to think this because I want it to be so, not because I'm fully convinced it will be so.

Also this, but about pretty much everything

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

zoux posted:

Whatever news network Trump takes over or starts is going to be chock full to the gills of charlatans and grifters. Trump isn't "good at TV", Mark Burnett is good at TV. Trump isn't good at anything. He's also facing multiple state investigations, has half a billion in personally guaranteed debt coming due next year, and isn't going to be able to use the power of the presidency to obstruct justice after January 20. He's also never going to stop whining about losing the election

On the other hand Reagan is still a saint to a large part of the GOP, so there's lasting value in icons even if they're not around anymore.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

saintonan posted:

On the other hand Reagan is still a saint to a large part of the GOP, so there's lasting value in icons even if they're not around anymore.

Reagan had a 53% approval rating on the day he left office. Also I don't think every member of the Reagan administration wrote scathing tell-alls about their time in the White House in order to rehab their own image, which is what is about to happen. The things we are going to find out about this admin in the coming months are going to be incredible. Oh also don't forget all the corrupt pardons he's about to issue.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 8, 2020

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

zoux posted:

Reagan had a 53% approval rating on the day he left office.

I suspect, like W, Reagan's approval rating is even higher now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

saintonan posted:

I suspect, like W, Reagan's approval rating is even higher now.

Yeah it is, but Reagan and Trump are not comparable figures, at all.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

zoux posted:

Yeah it is, but Reagan and Trump are not comparable figures, at all.

I see more similarities than differences, but I guess time will tell.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

saintonan posted:

I see more similarities than differences, but I guess time will tell.

I think the similarities are there in the flavor of GOP politics that reigned during their terms, but the personalities and stage presence are entirely different. Reagan was a professional actor with serious "tear down this wall" moments on tape, who departed a winner as he handed the presidency off to his VP. Trump is a reality TV subject with thousands of hours of petty stream-of-consciousness rants on tape, who is departing a loser and is going to spend his remaining years repeatedly bringing up the election that he lost. I don't think those are going to play the same way in hindsight.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The day Reagan left office is the day the Saint Reagan Project to rehab his image into what it is started and has not abated in the last 30 years. Trump will not get that organized and dedicated an effort. I'll probably expect to see a downplaying of his administration and as much effort as possible to pretend it never happened whenever Republicans can with some token positive deflections.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dameius posted:

The day Reagan left office is the day the Saint Reagan Project to rehab his image into what it is started and has not abated in the last 30 years. Trump will not get that organized and dedicated an effort. I'll probably expect to see a downplaying of his administration and as much effort as possible to pretend it never happened whenever Republicans can with some token positive deflections.

He's gonna get the damnatio memoriae that W. got except he's not going to disappear from public life, he's going to be constantly blasting Republicans and Fox News for not cheating to give him a second term, while Congressional republicans will start on January 22nd saying "How long are Democrats going to keep blaming all the country's problems on Trump"

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Trump is 100% gonna retweet a "MISS ME YET?" macro with his face on it

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Trump's influence with voters will naturally decline in the coming months and years, but he'll still be the face of the party for a while and his endorsement will still have sway, because who else is there?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

y'all gonna be so mad when he grover clevelands himself in four years

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I will never give up fakenews.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

i say swears online posted:

Grover Cleveland won the popular vote 3 more times than Trump will

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You can't rehab Trump's image until he goddamn shuts up, and he won't shut up until he's dead. If the republican party wants to make that happen, well that's their business for now.

Not to mention how the bulk of his career has been using whatever appearance he had of competence, wealth, or ability/willingness to pay to defraud people, so as soon as there isn't the lingering possibility of somehow overthrowing the election, he'll go right back to fraud and end up immediately cashing out every time somebody tries to build up any good will about him.

Something to look out for is people trying to follow in his footsteps, but I always got the sense that Trump's following was pretty light on actual ideology, and many of his close allies among the Republicans gave the impression of not really understanding what exactly his appeal was or how he got away with what he did (others who tried to commit similar offenses during his reign weren't really rewarded for it). He tried to rest everything on a cult of personality like a strongman, but he wasn't good enough to do it and couldn't suppress democracy enough to cover for his shortcomings.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

i say swears online posted:

He's going to be radioactive, dead or in prison in four years. (future reader of this quote 4 years from now: I'm not owned)

https://twitter.com/MorrisReports/status/1336348625744572416

Well he would say that wouldn't he

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1336356752816807936?s=20

looks like someone decided that all the murders might be bad

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/charlesforelle/status/1336393978011389959?s=21

Ughhhhh

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Oh lord

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Is he going to office at the SpaceX facility in McGregor and get a house in Waco and go on Fixer Upper?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Badger of Basra posted:

Driving is still very harmful to society even if you are poor, and poor people are disproportionately more likely to not own cars and rely on public transit anyway.

And like I said you can offset a regressive tax with progressive benefits - like better public transit. Europe is not a hellhole for poor people because the sales tax is 20%, because they use the sales tax to pay for free healthcare etc.

Also if people are serious about their rhetoric about how we’re all going to literally die if we don’t get to net zero by 2040 unfortunately some poor people may be negatively affected by some aspects of the policies needed to get there.

Where in god's name do you live that makes you assume public transit both exists and is usable? NYC? Because that would explain a -lot-

zoux posted:

Why, you simply guillotine all the rich people and use their money to end climate change, and all the other politics I don't like, as well. How to implement that? Well I guess you must believe better things aren't possible, and there's zero difference between good and bad things, and I will never log off

Or you could simply not cheerlead regressive taxes literally designed to discourage ev use while also not giving people a better option than driving. Politics is hard.

More importantly can we get a hearty lol for our dumbest son, Kenneth T. Paxton III, who is absolutely not getting that pardon he's gunning for

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

saintonan posted:

If we make places to live actually nice then only rich people will be able to live there so we have to make housing just as lovely and unpleasant as absolutely possible.

The places we build are actually nice and (relatively) affordable - you just don't like suburbs

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Marxalot posted:

More importantly can we get a hearty lol for our dumbest son, Kenneth T. Paxton III, who is absolutely not getting that pardon he's gunning for

I think he gets it, I think Trump is going to issue hundreds of pardons.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Marxalot posted:

Where in god's name do you live that makes you assume public transit both exists and is usable? NYC? Because that would explain a -lot-

Would you say that better things are not possible?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Badger of Basra posted:

looks like someone decided that all the murders might be bad
I'm overly cynical that we'll soon find out the people they fired were actually trying fix things and were just fired for being consequently associated with it. I can't tell from the AP story so hopefully we'll hear more details soon.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

I think he gets it, I think Trump is going to issue hundreds of pardons.

No he'll promise hundreds of pardons then not follow through on any of them outside of the ones for him and his family because :effort:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

No he'll promise hundreds of pardons then not follow through on any of them outside of the ones for him and his family because :effort:

Maybe, maybe not

https://twitter.com/reenajade/status/1336409517010071552

Every single Repubilcan controlled state is going to pass, or try to pass, vote suppression legislation in their next legislative session and the number one reason will be "all the confusion and uncertainty around the 2020 election": confusion and uncertainty they themselves deliberately created. I foresee a lot of 6-3 decisions in our future regarding voting rights.

Badger of Basra posted:

Yeah

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 8, 2020

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Badger of Basra posted:

A regressive tax discouraging ev usage, in the current context (which has already been explained), does not qualify as Better Things. It only serves the purpose of encouraging greater usage of fossil fuels.

-I'm- the loving O&G ghoul in this thread. Why am I the one who has to say that maybe burning more fossil fuels is a bad plan? You're real poo poo at trolling, op.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 8, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

been hittin' the malort a lil hard

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Things that may not happen tomorrow but still we should push for them: M4A, guillotine the rich, nationalize the banks

Lol what are you taking about lib: bus

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm going to keep driving my car Badge, sorry

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Badger of Basra posted:

Things that may not happen tomorrow but still we should push for them: M4A, guillotine the rich, nationalize the banks

Lol what are you taking about lib: bus

Can you just turn Republican and start complaining about the sjws already? You're already most of the way there.

We don't have mass transit. Driving to work does not represent luxury consumption that can be curved for probably >80% of the population. Therefore eiscouraging EV use in favor of internal combustion... maybe bad?

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Yeah I'm not usually one to complain about "those drat Californians" .

but they're really not sending their best this time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sardonik posted:

Well get with the loving program bud

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Sardonik posted:

We really need to just rejoin Mexico already.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sardonik posted:

this characterization is unfair to the tireless research i've done in finding out that every white south african expat is awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah they really don't care for "the blicks"