Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

Will that heat up all of the metal he's touching?

Also, "almost 100% efficient" applies to all electric resistance heat and is a remarkably BAD thing. This is where 100% is like, nearly the worst you can be at this.

I can’t imagine it would heat anything more than ambient temperature unless you have it butted up right next to and pointed at the metal? All it’s doing is heating up the ambient air.

For reference, this is what I’m talking about

They’re powered with the little green propane canisters. Nearly 100% efficient just means near complete combustion.

Not something I’d use in a tightly insulated space or for continuous use, but great for heating up a garage and temporary activity within.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

So yeah, that doesn't solve the problem he came here to solve. The idea of constant heat was so that this weights weren't going to give him frostbite.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just cut out the middleman and resistance heat the weights themselves

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fallom posted:

Just cut out the middleman and resistance heat the weights themselves

At least someone here is bringing in new and good ideas.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Working out in a freezing garage is not a new issue. This is a very effective and inexpensive solution: Electric Charcoal Starter

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

So yeah, that doesn't solve the problem he came here to solve. The idea of constant heat was so that this weights weren't going to give him frostbite.

So, gloves then?

Easy peasy, problem solved. Gloves + a space heater

HycoCam posted:

Working out in a freezing garage is not a new issue. This is a very effective and inexpensive solution: Electric Charcoal Starter

:stonklol:

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 7, 2020

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
When we used them--two was pro. And you move them. The heaters either heated the bar, the weights, or hung up and unplugged.

Thinking about it more--something like: Magnetic block heater might be less likely to start an actual fire. :)

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Counterpoint, can't get frostbite if your gym is on fire.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My gym is in an industrial basement and has more or less no concept of insulation (the hallway leads to a loading dock) and I’m not even sure where the heat source is outside of some open flame heaters in the other walkway.

In the winter I’d more or less always go in heavy sweats and insulated hoodie, and about 10 minutes in to warmup I’d be sweating and clawing to remove layers.

Added bonus the cold can be a cheap preworkout!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Finished up my door this weekend, at least the exterior-facing side. Some of the detailed trim bits look, well, like poo poo if you look up close. As it turns out I didn't do as good of a sanding job as I had thought, but I easily put 12 hours of prep work into the drat thing so gently caress it, it's done. Also want to pass along this tip I learned yesterday after I removed my painters tape and found the glass bead trim still had the tiniest of areas that needed paint where they met the glass. I didn't have any of that fancy brush on gel coat crap so I turned to the internet which told me to do this:

https://www.janssenglass.com/blog/3-genius-hacks-for-painting-around-windows/

quote:

Use Paper Strips
Paper strips are similar to using tape but they are easier to apply and cleaner to remove. Simply cut strips of paper (regular copy paper will do) using a paper cutter or straight edge to ensure straight lines. In a pan of water, wet the paper strips until they are saturated but not falling apart. Squeeze the excess water out, and apply the paper strips flush along the glass.
They will stick nicely and since the “adhesive” is just water, it’s more forgiving than tape. The strips can easily be moved around until they are positioned perfectly. Once you are satisfied with the placement of the strips, run a dry paintbrush over them to make sure they stay in place. After painting, simply peel the paper strips off and -voila!- perfect paint lines with no sticky residue.

Worked perfectly.

*record scratch sound*

Took photos for this post and was about to upload them to imgur when I noticed that the paint is now bubbling????? god dammitttttttttttttttttttttt

(you'll have to zoom but now there is a horizontal line of air bubbles on the flat section between the two sets of panels that was not there yesterday) :(

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

The Dave posted:

My gym is in an industrial basement and has more or less no concept of insulation (the hallway leads to a loading dock) and I’m not even sure where the heat source is outside of some open flame heaters in the other walkway.

In the winter I’d more or less always go in heavy sweats and insulated hoodie, and about 10 minutes in to warmup I’d be sweating and clawing to remove layers.

Added bonus the cold can be a cheap preworkout!

Cold air is probably nowhere near as big an issue as cold gear. Gripping a freezing olympic bar is not pleasant.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yes, we do Oly lifting, rather wear grips for a set or two than pay $10k though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

So, gloves then?

Easy peasy, problem solved. Gloves + a space heater

Seriously man, you're just repeating what happened a week ago. Scroll up.

BonerGhost posted:

Counterpoint, can't get frostbite if your gym is on fire.

Finally, some content.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
What do I need to do to disconnect this pipe joint so I can get an auger down there? There are no grips or ridges on the fitting. The vertical pipe is standing pipe for a washing machine, so connects to nothing.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Looks like a solvent weld joint? So sawzall.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

the previous owner decided that the metal channels for all the laminate floor transitions were optional and now i have a mess of dry glue to clean up.

it's very cool.

related: should i install the new transition metal channels to my concrete subfloor via countersunk tapcons or can i just run a bead of adhesive along the bottom of the channel?

Edit: i've also seen a technique where you drill a hole, fill that hole with toothpicks/wooden peg, and drive standard screws into that?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 7, 2020

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Those options or you can drill a hole in the concrete and use plastic anchors. I think a lot of contractors just use adhesive, so that too.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

alright cool. just making sure i wasnt gonna gently caress up something irrepairably.

in the meanwhile:

quote:

"Hey, don't walk where i patched the gaps in the laminate"
"how do i know where that is?"
"you'll figure it out."

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
That picture is unsettling, my brain keeps looking for the plastic forks and smeared birthday cake.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
As part of my project to paint the garage I want to install some 4” vinyl base around the perimeter once that is done. Unfortunately with the slope of the floor there is a ultimately a 3”+ gap with about a 1” depth from the drywall surface to the base cinder block towards the garage door.

Any ideas on a material I could use to fill the depth that can be easily shaped or should I just drop the idea? It needs to be able to handle water without absorbing it since we have snow melt from the cars occasionally.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

edit: nm, i'll ask a mod to remove attachment

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 8, 2020

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

Seriously man, you're just repeating what happened a week ago. Scroll up.

Finally, some content.

Yeah, I couldn’t remember since it keeps coming back every few posts with increasingly expensive and rube goldberg solutions culminating in “just build another structure”

Taking a step back to keep the larger picture in context isn’t always a bad idea, especially since someone posted that magnetic warmer which seems like an excellent idea :sun:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
The real solution is to go back in time and not buy a house from 1925. I love this house, and want to burn it all down, in equal measure.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

devmd01 posted:

As part of my project to paint the garage I want to install some 4” vinyl base around the perimeter once that is done. Unfortunately with the slope of the floor there is a ultimately a 3”+ gap with about a 1” depth from the drywall surface to the base cinder block towards the garage door.

Any ideas on a material I could use to fill the depth that can be easily shaped or should I just drop the idea? It needs to be able to handle water without absorbing it since we have snow melt from the cars occasionally.

If I'm understanding things right here, could you get the 1" thick sheets of rigid foam insulation and cut them in strips to fit between drywall and floor?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Mortar might work too?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Pvc trim should work. Won't absorb water or mold

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
After I asked about it the contractor wants $1500 additional for permits and scheduling inspections, so undoubtedly this is "he'll gently caress off or he'll substantially overpay me" bid. Come on, man.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

devmd01 posted:

that kinda looks like an intentionally-put-there drainage system?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I actually wish my basement had that back when it would flood.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

tetrapyloctomy posted:

The real solution is to go back in time and not buy a house from 1925. I love this house, and want to burn it all down, in equal measure.

The Home Zone: I love this house, and want to burn it all down, in equal measure.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

unbelievably same

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

pmchem posted:

that kinda looks like an intentionally-put-there drainage system?

I don’t think so, probably just a normal gap between the established wall base and the poured concrete floor. I like the foam insulation idea, that should be cheap and easy. I’ll give it a 1/4-1/2” gap to the floor to be on the safe side so water doesn’t even have a chance to touch it.

PVC trim would definitely work, but I was planning on going with the super basic vinyl stuff. Thanks for the ideas all!

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

The Wonder Weapon posted:

unbelievably same

My house ownership has been '40s- > '60s -> '80s (current).

That alone means I have standard drywall (not plaster like the first two) and standard 2x4 wall spacing which makes almost every home improvement project SO much easier since basically everyones online instructions implies you have drywall and 2x4's.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

tetrapyloctomy posted:

:ohdear::hf::(

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
First off, I finally got around to cutting the plywood sheet (and OSB) to make the shelf for my Matthias-Wandel-cantilever-shelves for my shed:

Second, I'm looking for opinions on improving spice cabinet organization, since I'm getting really frustrated with how disorganized my spice cabinet is. It's a 12" wide by 40" tall wall cabinet I have to the left of my stove and with all of the bottles randomly dispersed over two of the shelves it's a pain in the rear end to find any of the spices that I don't use very often.

I found this, but $120 is way more than I want to spend, but the idea is neat, and probably could be accomplished with some basic drawer slides and plywood. The plexiglass would be more of a pain without a CNC or laser cutter, though. I would also need more than one of these, I think.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F4N0SIC/ref=smi_www_rco2_go_smi_4368549507

Alternatively, I could buy or make some sort of stair stepped spice rack that fits in the cabinet, like so:
https://fixthisbuildthat.com/diy-spice-rack-free-plans/

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

MetaJew posted:

Alternatively, I could buy or make some sort of stair stepped spice rack that fits in the cabinet, like so:
https://fixthisbuildthat.com/diy-spice-rack-free-plans/

I built almost exactly that awhile back! We don’t use them anymore though. Right now we have a mismatch of spice drawer organizers like this:

https://www.target.com/p/lipper-3-tier-tilt-down-spice-drawer/-/A-16637796

Much higher density of spice storage, and works for everything from McCormick to Penzey’s to Trader Joes’ square bottles

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SZDZLQQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_XRf0FbJR0NSJ9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I bought the cheaper, non-adjustable version of this a couple years ago on a goon rec and have been really happy with it. Mine has the same capacity as this new one, which holds more than the nicer looking lipper one.

You can stack those little short mccormick and tones jars on their sides and get 3 per space, too.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

I have these and they're great. Theyre super simple to install, anf they hold a fair bit of weight (e.g., if you get the wider single-level ones they'll hold an Oxo full of sugar, a bag of flour, and a few more things.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Let's talk laminate vs hardwood. I want to have all the laminate redone because PO did a lovely job and used cheap materials.

Looking at this install is putting me off laminate, but I feel like it might be the better option if I go look at some and have it professionally done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Deviant posted:

Let's talk laminate vs hardwood. I want to have all the laminate redone because PO did a lovely job and used cheap materials.

Looking at this install is putting me off laminate, but I feel like it might be the better option if I go look at some and have it professionally done?

There are a lot of low-end laminate and engineered hardwood flooring materials out there. A 'good' one will run as much as low-cost hardwood (2" wide white oak, red oak, maple) including finishing. So if you want a 'good' laminate or engineered floor, it's less of a cost question and more of an appearance question. Like, if you want a dark colored wide board looking floor, you'll find substantially less expensive options in the engineered wood family as compared to a real wood floor, but the engineered floor will still cost more than a low-cost hardwood.

The above advice does not apply to flooring installed on a concrete slab.