Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/BadAstronomer/status/1336806003778662404

Love the car, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lol :rip:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
i meant to watch it but was unable to due to a meeting but it looks like elon's toilet tube and tinfoil spaceship performed exactly as i'd anticipated :allears:

i hope this doesn't put a damper on the falcon/dragon programs, which are real rockets made by real engineers while elon is distracted

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

still, right up until it hit the ground a bit faster than planned it looked like it was doing well

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

that video is so hard to watch. it's 2 nerds screeching about how amaaaaazing this is, look at the trail!!!! wow the tracking!! and offering no actual info about anything. i miss when the adults at nasa could actually commentate useful information rather than go on like they're the first ones to see the new funko pop

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

it was going quite well until it exploded

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

that video is so hard to watch. it's 2 nerds screeching about how amaaaaazing this is, look at the trail!!!! wow the tracking!! and offering no actual info about anything. i miss when the adults at nasa could actually commentate useful information rather than go on like they're the first ones to see the new funko pop

yeah the new flunko plop

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

one of the engines died on the way up and another one didn’t reignite coming down. it was like a billionaires model rocket

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i mean, it does look like an oversized estes kit

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TK-42-1 posted:

one of the engines died on the way up and another one didn’t reignite coming down. it was like a billionaires model rocket

i have only lost model rockets when i put the really big engines in and didn't adjust for wind properly.

i should go shoot those off some more in the spring

also fun: putting in too small engines is hilarious and you will likely lose an eye if you do it too many times

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
https://twitter.com/paddyjmurphy/status/1084092031188811776?lang=en

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

images as thread titles 2024

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:3:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Man I remember launching rockets as a kid for 4H and stuff

I always wanted to do bigger ones but Nebraska killed all childhood ambition

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I hope Elon takes his dumbass toy rocket into space and it explodes with him in it. ( In minecraft.)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

Man I remember launching rockets as a kid for 4H and stuff

I always wanted to do bigger ones but Nebraska killed all childhood ambition

We used to have a summer camp program at UWM called "College for kids" and they had model rocketry and at the end you would go to the county grounds (now it's Medical College or something probably) and set off rockets and calculate how high they went with a little sextant thing we made in class.

Chutes and everything.

:woop:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I used to be really into space and then I went to literal space camp and had an 11 year old oh poo poo mind blown moment when realized the whole thing was an excuse to build and improve weapons and quickly lost interest

not sure if it was the side by side displays of both rockets and icbms [spoiler: they're identical], meeting an actual german operation paperclip scientist or the giant "here comes the awesome strategic defense intiative" rah rah exhibit at the museum [it was the '80s]

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

qirex posted:

I used to be really into space and then I went to literal space camp and had an 11 year old oh poo poo mind blown moment when realized the whole thing was an excuse to build and improve weapons and quickly lost interest

not sure if it was the side by side displays of both rockets and icbms [spoiler: they're identical], meeting an actual german operation paperclip scientist or the giant "here comes the awesome strategic defense intiative" rah rah exhibit at the museum [it was the '80s]

Loser. Git in with the MIC.

My colleague went to a metrology conference and brought back a NASA tote for me (very cool) and a pair of Raytheon sunglasses (very not cool)

mystes
May 31, 2006

refleks posted:

My colleague went to a metrology conference and brought back a NASA tote for me (very cool) and a pair of Raytheon sunglasses (very not cool)
But ray-something-or-other sunglasses are fashionably!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

refleks posted:

Loser. Git in with the MIC.

sitting on someone's desk in an office at the haleakala observatory was the official sdi sportswear catalog and I still regret not stealing it

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

qirex posted:

sitting on someone's desk in an office at the haleakala observatory was the official sdi sportswear catalog and I still regret not stealing it

i have no idea what that means, but cool

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Twat McTwatterson posted:

why does everyone hate elon musk? usually I don't buy into the internet dogpiling echo chamber of hate for people, but it seems especially vile for musk. gently caress him why?

:suspense:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

refleks posted:

i have no idea what that means, but cool

strategic defense initiative sportswear catalog

like a catalog for SDI branded sweatpants presumably

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 10, 2020

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

you do not, under any circumstances, have to give it to him

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

these guys? http://sdisportswear.com

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

infernal machines posted:

Ha, nice try. im not falling for that.

what, was it next to Mulders poster? Was Skinner sitting at the desk doubting Scully's report?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

refleks posted:

Ha, nice try. im not falling for that.

what, was it next to Mulders poster? Was Skinner sitting at the desk doubting Scully's report?

it was a real thing, the cover was a blonde lady with a perm [again, it was the '80s] wearing a sdi baseball hat holding an sdi mug

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

80s af

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

gotta bring back the classic

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

They love this poo poo

Hell I wish I had some swag but it always feels over the top

I’ll stick with trinkets

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Please let something about Grimes smelling like a roll of nickels get produced in response to this subpoena

https://twitter.com/PlainSite/status/1337100989216686083?s=20

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

MomJeans420 posted:

Please let something about Grimes smelling like a roll of nickels get produced in response to this subpoena

https://twitter.com/PlainSite/status/1337100989216686083?s=20

i assume this is for her message history etc from that time, so yeah, it would include that lol

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Schadenboner posted:

We used to have a summer camp program at UWM called "College for kids" and they had model rocketry and at the end you would go to the county grounds (now it's Medical College or something probably) and set off rockets and calculate how high they went with a little sextant thing we made in class.

Chutes and everything.

:woop:

Nimby parents nowadays don't want their kids to get a science-based sextant education.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

bicievino posted:

Nimby parents nowadays don't want their kids to get a science-based sextant education.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

bicievino posted:

what is it with goons and sextants?
:gooncamp:

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I used to be big into space exploration but now it just see,s to me that it makes no loving sense. Are we really going to be saved by burning up thousands of tons of fuel, using up thousands of man-hours of some of the biggest brains on the planet so that maybe some of us will get to go Mars?

Like when you criticize space stuff you get in return talking points about how it made technology better. Isn't that just accelerationism though? The planet is already blowing up, how can more of the thing that got us here help?

Another thing people say is "you can develop space stuff AND help people on Earth, it's possible to do both :smuggo:". I get it's possible to do many things at once, but the scale here is way off the charts. Like the money and time and resources that get used up in what seems like little more than vanity projects COULD actually do some good here on Earth. Those resources are being diverted. Add to that privatisation of the space industry, wasted tax payers dollars, increased militarization... Am I being dense or is going this route for humanity loving insane?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

exploring mars in the service of science is cool and good.

going to mars to try and colonize it is stupid as poo poo and 1000% a vanity project for super wealthy dumbshits like elon musk. it will solve no problems for anyone, except if the rocket explodes and takes musk with it.

"oh but we will terraform mars so that the human race doesn't die out if earth becomes uninhabitable" hey have you loving geniuses considered terraforming earth to be indefinitely habitable instead? it's 99.9999% of the way there already

gently caress

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we'll be able to make the acrtic and the sahara habitable before we can live on mars, which is good because we'll probably need to

beyond that, whitey's on the moon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Elon only wants to go to Mars so he can make the rules and not get taxed