Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

This is where you go from "controversial" to "actual madness". Zeta and ZZ both have their flaws, but Victory's just bad.

There's moments where Victory is terrible in a funny, crazy way, and even a few times it's outright good but more often it's just... dull. And bad.

It's a slog of a show.

Hard disagree man, I like Zeta more but Victory is better than any au except maybe 00 and G if you're being generous. It's got great fight choereography, great mechs, some fantastic lads( who doesn't love best bro Odelo or team mom Marbet), Iconic moments(The reinforce's last attack, holding up the space ramp, firing the kill sat), and some real creativity. Thing's like the beam rotors and beam strings added an interesting dimension seldom seen in other gundams. Uso was an absolute lad of a protagonist, clearly affected and unready about all the poo poo he got put through, but still trucking along. Best main since Amuro by my reckoning.
And hell it's got a good soundtrack, not as good as soldiers of sorrow or toki wo koete, but better than anime ja nai for sure. Even watching it with piss yellow hardcode subs at potato resolution on crunchyroll( before they were a buncha sellouts) I had a hell of a better time watching it than ZZ. Truly an underrated gem of the franchise.

I believe in general Tomino has two related but distinct messages with all of his gundam works, including Late UC and G-Reco and Turn A, but my thoughts are too in disarray to expound upon it right now, hopefully I'll remember tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

This is where you go from "controversial" to "actual madness". Zeta and ZZ both have their flaws, but Victory's just bad.

There's moments where Victory is terrible in a funny, crazy way, and even a few times it's outright good but more often it's just... dull. And bad.

It's a slog of a show.

i think the entering/exiting space stuff dragged a bit for me but otherwise it was the most entertained i've been watching a gundam since G-Reco airing, it just had that right flow of drama/soapy drama/comedy with stuff like Wattary's suicide, Haro/Flanders assisting Uso's naked escape, Kagatie using Mariaism as a sort of identity politics cult to legitimize Zanscare, forgoing a "Char" in order to have an absolute joke masked man strung up by Katejina etc. Uso definitely tops the list of protagonists for me, Zanscare designs were strong along with the Victories/GunEZ, it has some of the best action choreography owing to Victory's modular design, and my affection for Uso extends to the whole kid cast + Marbet + Katejina + the revolving door of incompetent and petty Zanscare villains as they backstab each other. it's much easier for me to shrug off contentious stuff like Shrike Team or Katejina's colossal failure bikini raid because they're inflicted on non-characters in comparison to a show like Zeta doing dirty to well-realized characters i had liked. in that vein, Marbet is the big Victory disappointment with the upside being she gets to survive and then Tomino has to shut up about her. the additional bonuses are watching it in the context of shows like Evangelion or Ideon, where you can see the stuff Anno liked and wanted to riff on himself or how Tomino just kept putting Ideon in his later shows.

but there's always going to be an element of unreasonableness to it since the experience of watching it put me at the level of like, having a significant fondness for a second-string villain most people probably don't even remember. normal people who like Victory do not even care about this man. if the show didn't have such a reputation to weigh against things would probably be different, but hypotheticals and all that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Onmi posted:

While it's true man's abused the environment, I always took that message to mean humanity needs to respect the land it came from, rather than leave it. For me, ultimately, the message of Gundam felt like it should have been "Whether humanity stays on the earth or leaves is entirely dependent on the people, it's not for anyone, be it the Federation Government, Zeon or anyone else, to determine all people should be anywhere." I feel like the idea of "Your soul is being weighed down by gravity" to be kind of the justification of people unwilling to accept others, nominally, newtypes. Char and Haman both say it, and neither of them can accept others. It's less I feel that earth 'weighs people down' and more that Space is cold and cruel. Haman describes the harshness of the asteroid belt and her justification really reads as "I wanted to return to the comfort and warmth of the earth." than, "Earthnoids are awful and are polluting the world."
While it's less popular now, I always read a lot of the idea was that in space you can have as many humans and as much industry and as many big parties as you want, because it's in space, which is notable for being empty and relatively short on delicate ecological treasures. It would also be possible for humanity to develop as they wished with (fewer) natural hazards; a space colony takes nothing save its starter material from Earth. Humans could migrate throughout space. It would only be a matter of patience to travel between the stars and bring home with you. "The Earth is the cradle of life, but you cannot stay in the cradle forever."

One of the interesting subtexts in UC to me is that it seems like all the colonies and places like Von Braun were made before the One Year War, and afterwards they sort of struggle to build even a couple new colonies. They have turned home itself into a weapon for political ambitions.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Rewatching The Origin with my sister and man, the explosions are just so pretty :allears: Early on in the episode, when Char's using a mobile worker, she mentioned how the CGI rocks and dirt looked sorta cheap. Then when the Iron Squadron fight began and everything started exploding, she said "oh, so that's where the CGI budget went"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nessus posted:

While it's less popular now, I always read a lot of the idea was that in space you can have as many humans and as much industry and as many big parties as you want, because it's in space, which is notable for being empty and relatively short on delicate ecological treasures. It would also be possible for humanity to develop as they wished with (fewer) natural hazards; a space colony takes nothing save its starter material from Earth. Humans could migrate throughout space. It would only be a matter of patience to travel between the stars and bring home with you. "The Earth is the cradle of life, but you cannot stay in the cradle forever."

One of the interesting subtexts in UC to me is that it seems like all the colonies and places like Von Braun were made before the One Year War, and afterwards they sort of struggle to build even a couple new colonies. They have turned home itself into a weapon for political ambitions.

I keep mentioning this but yeah the Federation pretty much died the moment Zeon declared war, it just took about a hundred years to realize it and finally fall apart

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Nessus posted:

Yeah, years of endless war will do that. And see I think that's the cause of newtype theory. Man departed to space, and out there they found fear for one another. When the first spacenoids were born, there began the definition of "Earthnoid" and in turn, humanity united under the Federation once again had division. Eh hold on this is faster than me writing it up.

quote:

"At the dawn of the universal century, mankind, after a period of war, looked towards the stars and asked, "What lies out there for us?" with this in mind, all the way to Jupiter, we colonized space, we moved our burgeoning population in a great movement, we knew hardship and prosperity... But in space, humanity rediscovered its fear, not just of the unknown, but of ourselves. We feared what we could become, and we feared what we had left behind.

Our yearning for our motherland grew with each passing day, as those who departed before us passed on their legacy to their children, a new generation of humanity, the 'Spacenoid'. But in the creation of 'Spacenoid' and the definition of 'Earthnoid,' an irreparable divide was born of our people. A deep fear that one would annihilate the other, in this fear was born Contolism, Newtype Theory, Desidism. Humanity lost its reasoning, turning upon one another, seeking a greater answer to this growing expanse."

Unicorn kinda touches on this in one of its kinda-not-poo poo moments, when Marida talks about how the people of space essentially found 'God' in Zeon. Of course, it's very dumb because it's actually more like they allowed themselves to be driven by the rhetoric of Zeon Dekun, Degwin and Gihren and finally Char.

The thing is Char is the one giving the cradle of life speech... And I don't think he's correct. It sounds great, but again, everyone who leaves earth eventually comes to covet it due to the harshness of space. Dogatie, Haman, the Zanscare. Even after the earth has basically been abandoned, it's coveted by those in space. Space may be infinite, but nothing can beat a real breeze or the real sun on your skin, true rain, not an artificial simulation. I do think at the time of Zeta, these are things Tomino believed to be correct. But I feel by Turn-A and especially by King Gainer, he'd reversed his stance, again, King Gainer is all about humanity essentially, leaving their colonies to return to the earth.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

literally every UC thing is among the worst anime ever made. Turn-A is an absolution of the sins.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Of course part of the problem is Tomino has a VERY bad understanding of how Space Colonies would actually work despite how central they are to Gundam as a franchise

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

drrockso20 posted:

Of course part of the problem is Tomino has a VERY bad understanding of how Space Colonies would actually work despite how central they are to Gundam as a franchise

To be real, I also have fuckin' no idea how a Space Colony would actually work.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Perhaps the terror is not so much that you can never feel the real sun or the real rain from the far-distant clouds, but the prospect that in time - and perhaps very soon - there would be descendants of humanity for whom such things were normal, expected, just the way it is. What would those people be like?

Answer: They would take a lot of baths.

Onmi posted:

The colonies in UC are, I think, actually pretty realistic in terms of scale and their internal representation. It really would seem a lot like a pastoral neighborhood in a lot of places, assuming everything worked. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O%27Neill_cylinder describes them more - Gundam doesn't show them as linked pairs, but otherwise they match pretty closely. Most of the little odds and ends can probably be justified by 'they have fusion power, which O'Neill did not take for granted, and having a lot of spare energy around can solve a lot of little issues.'

The real thing is that there are hundreds of the loving things (at least) and they were apparently built within 75 years, and in addition much of the population of Earth was sent up there. This would be a rather large undertaking, probably the greatest in human history, especially since there was no real sign of some kind of automatic machinery or something that did a lot of the work for people. (Maybe Haro suggests there's industrial automation that just doesn't show up much.)

Nessus fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Dec 10, 2020

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nessus posted:

Perhaps the terror is not so much that you can never feel the real sun or the real rain from the far-distant clouds, but the prospect that in time - and perhaps very soon - there would be descendants of humanity for whom such things were normal, expected, just the way it is. What would those people be like?

Answer: They would take a lot of baths.

Counterargument: Tekkadan.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there's an episode of planetes about this

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Onmi posted:

The big logistical problem in doing anything in space is just getting literally anything up into space from the ground and vice-versa. A Space Colony acts as a staging ground so you can take a lot of problems out of the equation by being able to receive resources and immediately turn them into things like new components and spare parts without having to give a poo poo about factors like payload limits and launch windows. As well as, of course, build entire ships that simply wouldn't be possible (or at least much harder to build) in Earth's gravity at ground-level. An O'Neill Cylinder providing a stable gravity environment fixes a lot of other problems with long-term residency (muscle degradation and bone density for example) in space as well.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Onmi posted:

There's some good literature out there on the subject, I'll admit I've only read little tidbits but it's enough to see the holes and errors in how Gundam handles it(including but not limited to what I've discussed in the past about how Gundam underestimates the durability of a Space Colony by an absolutely ridiculous extent)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

chiasaur11 posted:

Counterargument: Tekkadan.
Those nerds were born on Mars and Mars is basically just the Philadelphia to Earth's New York. You're not going to go beyond the time that way!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nessus posted:

Those nerds were born on Mars and Mars is basically just the Philadelphia to Earth's New York. You're not going to go beyond the time that way!

Not all of them.

The former Brewers kids were born in space, not afraid to die in space.

They also smelled just as bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Not all of them.

The former Brewers kids were born in space, not afraid to die in space.

They also smelled just as bad.

tbf their bosses were literal warhammer orks, would they really care about giving the kids time to bathe

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Endorph posted:

tbf their bosses were literal warhammer orks, would they really care about giving the kids time to bathe
Say what you will about the Zeon but they always allowed their child soldiers the opportunity to wash up and I think they even fed them regularly.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

drrockso20 posted:

There's some good literature out there on the subject, I'll admit I've only read little tidbits but it's enough to see the holes and errors in how Gundam handles it(including but not limited to what I've discussed in the past about how Gundam underestimates the durability of a Space Colony by an absolutely ridiculous extent)

I feel like Gundam depicts space colonies as fragile for the war metaphor. It's not other individuals, society, or even the military. It's the specter of war. Obviously war is tied to all those things but at least in early Gundam, war's this special escalation of conflict past normal bounds. And it's only in war that you see this kind of wholesale destruction of people's homes or what is effectively their entire world. I might be reading too much of WW2 into this.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If I could find the video of the Barzam song I'd be posting it because you don't talk poo poo about my abdomen-lacking chonk boy.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

If I could find the video of the Barzam song I'd be posting it because you don't talk poo poo about my abdomen-lacking chonk boy.

I'm not saying I hate the design of the robot, that's cool. What I hate is that it is NOT a mass production of the Gundam Mark II. It'd be like displaying It's like saying you've made a mass produced Gelgoog and showing me the GM.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

By your request.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

As for Tomino, I feel like I should throw some gas on the fire by mentioning that Mari Okada praised dialogue in Tomino shows for how natural it felt. That is, it feels like things someone said more than things someone wrote.

I think it's kind of a moot point whether Tomino writes realistic or unrealistic people to a large degree because Tomino is generally not the main writer on his own shows. He's a director, not a writer. He certainly has input on how the characters are written, but he also generally leaves the actual writing, including dialogue, up to other people. He has other duties as director, and usually goes above and beyond those anyway, doing a lot of the storyboarding himself but also contributing to music, mechanical design and other areas too according to various staff. Okawara credited him for much of Zeon's mechanical design during the original show in his biography for instance, and there age pages he says are Tomino's original sketches, which aren't far from the finished units he did clean up on.

I think G-Reco might be the only show he was the principle writer for every episode on. Which isn't a surprise, since G-Reco was his baby a lot more than any other Gundam show. It's the only show he ever approached Sunrise to make too, so far as I know, where I'm pretty sure he made every other show in his oeuvre after they asked him to make a show that fulfilled certain stipulations as part of his job. He pretty famously only wrote one episode in the original Gundam for instance, which was "Time, Be Still", the episode where a group of guys try to plant bombs on the Gundam with the promise they can go home if they succeed. Which is probably one of the best episodes in the show, in my opinion. I'm pretty sure Akinori Endo was the principle writer for Zeta and ZZ too, though Yumiko Suzuki may have been his equal going off some interviews. He certainly talks about the writing in ways that imply he's the one making a lot of the decisions during interview.

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Zeta's designs are really cool as a sequel. It really shows how the world has evolved since the last war. The problem is literally every show after going back to "Gundam head = good guys, Mono-eye = bad guys"

Wait...are you implying that Zeta did something different? Because that's exactly what Zeta did. Good guys = Gundam heads, at least for the most part, while bad guys = monoeyes. The Rick Dias was an exception, but most of AEUG's suits had human faces and not mono-eyes.

Onmi posted:

Gihren was a diehard Contolist

I doubt it. Gihren was just using Contolism as a cover for his own ambitions and philosophy as far as I can see. He thought the Earthsphere could only support so many people, and wanted to reduce the human population so that there would less strain on resources, which I don't recall being a part of Contolsim. I'm not sure why he thought that mind, since space is chock full of mineral resources and if you have mini fusion engines in all your military machines, then you basically have unlimited energy too. Contolism as far as I recall though is basically (1) Everyone should abandon the Earth, because it gave birth to us but now we're destroying it and everyone should live in space instead, with each Side being self governing and (2) maybe people will evolve if they live in space, because the distances are so great?

The infamous Hitler scene in the third movie has Gihren all but admit that he's just using the concept of Newtypes to rally the people, and that he doesn't actually care about them personally, but if Degwin is so concerned about them, then they can await their arrival once they've won the war. He isn't actually concerned about them himself, and doesn't even seem to believe that Challia is a real Newtype, but he's happy to use people's conception of them and invoke them as propaganda if it'll help him. Which doesn't really sound like a sincere adherent to me. I think even that philosophy of resource management was probably at least partially just something he said to justify his own desire for power though, and that Gihren was the ultimate end result of Degwin's own actions. Degwin killed Deikun because he thought he could lead better, but there was probably some personal desire in there too and his son saw that and took just the power hunger element of it and ran with that. Degwin created the monster that killed him, even if he told himself it was for good reason at the time.

Onmi posted:

Space may be infinite, but nothing can beat a real breeze or the real sun on your skin, true rain, not an artificial simulation.

I personally doubt anyone raised in that environment would be too fussed about the difference, and think it's possible that some of them may even prefer the simulacrum to be honest.

Nessus posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O%27Neill_cylinder describes them more - Gundam doesn't show them as linked pairs, but otherwise they match pretty closely.

Oddly enough, there is one Gundam entry that fixed this and it's G-Saviour. The people making that took the time to place their colonies into linked pairs when animating the movie, even if nothing else in UC (or any AU) did.

drrockso20 posted:

Gerard K. O'Neill's original book on the subject, The High Frontier: Human Colonies in Space is probably still the best source on it. If you can get your hands on it. It's not something you'll see around too often, but Amazon show a digital copy for €12, and the hardcover for €40, so it's still possible to get a copy even 44 years since it first published. That's the UK store though, not sure about other store fronts.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ah yeah, good to see Tomino talk, space talk, good stuff.

Speaking of Reconguista, any opinions on the movies so far? Tomino re-tailoring it a bit sounds cool, based on people's takes on it (only saw the first ep myself). Any notable changes and new stuff in the first two movies?

Speaking of, when watching the first MSG series lately, I also popped on the movies again to flip through and compare stuff. I liked the new stuff near the beginning of movie 2 for example, the scenes of officers talking about the newtypes concept. And also a new scene with Matilda hijinks, and Amuro going "Wa-hoooo!". That's good stuff.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Argas posted:

I feel like Gundam depicts space colonies as fragile for the war metaphor. It's not other individuals, society, or even the military. It's the specter of war. Obviously war is tied to all those things but at least in early Gundam, war's this special escalation of conflict past normal bounds. And it's only in war that you see this kind of wholesale destruction of people's homes or what is effectively their entire world. I might be reading too much of WW2 into this.

That's probably part of it, though I think it mostly comes from them not realizing that a full size Space Colony would be way more durable than anything we've constructed in real life for space travel or exploration, if just from the sheer scale we're talking about, let alone the materials they'd be made out of(like even the glass* would probably be dozens of feet thick at the absolute thinnest, something like the Zaku blowing up in the first episode of MSG would barely even scratch it, not the giant gaping hole we see it make), like I'm not going to rag on Gundam too hard about this, but it would be nice to see them be more accurate about it in a future AU(kinda like how IBO heavily boosted the durability of space ships)

*which probably wouldn't even be actual glass and instead some sort of super advanced polymer or alloy

tsob posted:

I think it's kind of a moot point whether Tomino writes realistic or unrealistic people to a large degree because Tomino is generally not the main writer on his own shows. He's a director, not a writer. He certainly has input on how the characters are written, but he also generally leaves the actual writing, including dialogue, up to other people. He has other duties as director, and usually goes above and beyond those anyway, doing a lot of the storyboarding himself but also contributing to music, mechanical design and other areas too according to various staff. Okawara credited him for much of Zeon's mechanical design during the original show in his biography for instance, and there age pages he says are Tomino's original sketches, which aren't far from the finished units he did clean up on.

I think G-Reco might be the only show he was the principle writer for every episode on. Which isn't a surprise, since G-Reco was his baby a lot more than any other Gundam show. It's the only show he ever approached Sunrise to make too, so far as I know, where I'm pretty sure he made every other show in his oeuvre after they asked him to make a show that fulfilled certain stipulations as part of his job. He pretty famously only wrote one episode in the original Gundam for instance, which was "Time, Be Still", the episode where a group of guys try to plant bombs on the Gundam with the promise they can go home if they succeed. Which is probably one of the best episodes in the show, in my opinion. I'm pretty sure Akinori Endo was the principle writer for Zeta and ZZ too, though Yumiko Suzuki may have been his equal going off some interviews. He certainly talks about the writing in ways that imply he's the one making a lot of the decisions during interview.

Wait...are you implying that Zeta did something different? Because that's exactly what Zeta did. Good guys = Gundam heads, at least for the most part, while bad guys = monoeyes. The Rick Dias was an exception, but most of AEUG's suits had human faces and not mono-eyes.

I doubt it. Gihren was just using Contolism as a cover for his own ambitions and philosophy as far as I can see. He thought the Earthsphere could only support so many people, and wanted to reduce the human population so that there would less strain on resources, which I don't recall being a part of Contolsim. I'm not sure why he thought that mind, since space is chock full of mineral resources and if you have mini fusion engines in all your military machines, then you basically have unlimited energy too. Contolism as far as I recall though is basically (1) Everyone should abandon the Earth, because it gave birth to us but now we're destroying it and everyone should live in space instead, with each Side being self governing and (2) maybe people will evolve if they live in space, because the distances are so great?

The infamous Hitler scene in the third movie has Gihren all but admit that he's just using the concept of Newtypes to rally the people, and that he doesn't actually care about them personally, but if Degwin is so concerned about them, then they can await their arrival once they've won the war. He isn't actually concerned about them himself, and doesn't even seem to believe that Challia is a real Newtype, but he's happy to use people's conception of them and invoke them as propaganda if it'll help him. Which doesn't really sound like a sincere adherent to me. I think even that philosophy of resource management was probably at least partially just something he said to justify his own desire for power though, and that Gihren was the ultimate end result of Degwin's own actions. Degwin killed Deikun because he thought he could lead better, but there was probably some personal desire in there too and his son saw that and took just the power hunger element of it and ran with that. Degwin created the monster that killed him, even if he told himself it was for good reason at the time.

I personally doubt anyone raised in that environment would be too fussed about the difference, and think it's possible that some of them may even prefer the simulacrum to be honest.

Oddly enough, there is one Gundam entry that fixed this and it's G-Saviour. The people making that took the time to place their colonies into linked pairs when animating the movie, even if nothing else in UC (or any AU) did.

Gerard K. O'Neill's original book on the subject, The High Frontier: Human Colonies in Space is probably still the best source on it. If you can get your hands on it. It's not something you'll see around too often, but Amazon show a digital copy for €12, and the hardcover for €40, so it's still possible to get a copy even 44 years since it first published. That's the UK store though, not sure about other store fronts.

Yeah that's the book, I think I read a chapter or two of it back in High School and I should get myself a copy someday

Also on the topic of concepts from famous science authors, Gundam really should include an Astrochicken in a future series

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

drrockso20 posted:

That's probably part of it, though I think it mostly comes from them not realizing that a full size Space Colony would be way more durable than anything we've constructed in real life for space travel or exploration, if just from the sheer scale we're talking about, let alone the materials they'd be made out of(like even the glass* would probably be dozens of feet thick at the absolute thinnest, something like the Zaku blowing up in the first episode of MSG would barely even scratch it, not the giant gaping hole we see it make), like I'm not going to rag on Gundam too hard about this, but it would be nice to see them be more accurate about it in a future AU(kinda like how IBO heavily boosted the durability of space ships)

*which probably wouldn't even be actual glass and instead some sort of super advanced polymer or alloy

Yeah that's the book, I think I read a chapter or two of it back in High School and I should get myself a copy someday

Also on the topic of concepts from famous science authors, Gundam really should include an Astrochicken in a future series

The Dyson tree is also a cool concept that could be in a Gundam show, as a place where people hide from the corrupt Federation/space assholes/etc.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

drrockso20 posted:

That's probably part of it, though I think it mostly comes from them not realizing that a full size Space Colony would be way more durable than anything we've constructed in real life for space travel or exploration, if just from the sheer scale we're talking about, let alone the materials they'd be made out of(like even the glass* would probably be dozens of feet thick at the absolute thinnest, something like the Zaku blowing up in the first episode of MSG would barely even scratch it, not the giant gaping hole we see it make)

I vaguely recall someone on /m/ once did the math on the volume of air that would be inside an Island 3 O'Neill cylinder, how much air would escape per second in the size of hole such explosions normally cause in Gundam and how long it would take for the colony to empty and it turned out to be several days before the colony would completely evacuate all air, and which engineers would have to seal the hole in some fashion.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Thanks. I really need to write down that link so I can find it again.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the message of the universal century is that mankind faces the choice of socialism or barbarism and the earth federation decided to go with the latter.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Did they? They created the single most ambitious social housing scheme in history by building dozens of space colonies that mostly consisted of pastoral countryside and suburban housing, along with multiple types of free public transport around them and then moved billions of people to them. They did so for at least partly selfish reason, and there seems to have been some measure of force and corruption involved in the effort even sticking purely to the animations, but the end result is still a socialist measure that dwarfs anything else in history.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

tsob posted:

Did they? They created the single most ambitious social housing scheme in history by building dozens of space colonies that mostly consisted of pastoral countryside and suburban housing, along with multiple types of free public transport around them and then moved billions of people to them. They did so for at least partly selfish reason, and there seems to have been some measure of force and corruption involved in the effort even sticking purely to the animations, but the end result is still a socialist measure that dwarfs anything else in history.

Contrary to popular belief, socialism is not just when the government does a lot of stuff. The economic superstructure of the earth federation in UC 70 is not that dissimilar to our own where workers do not actually own the means of production.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Okay. Whatever the Federation did is still far from barbarism regardless.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

No, their failure to adapt is what lead to zeon, the titans, neo-zeon 1, neo-zeon 2, the crossbone vanguard, and the zanscare. that's the barbarism part.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
No, I'm pretty sure ambitious people not caring about the pain their own actions cause because they're too removed from it on every side is what led to those things, and not just the Federation.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

tsob posted:

Did you miss ZZ and G-Reco entirely?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Why do you think I used the world "mostly"? We see a couple of squalid colonies in ZZ, but we see many more that are far nicer between 0079, Zeta, F91 and Victory. We see more cramped and ungainly ones in Char's Counterattack and Unicorn, by the way, in Sweetwater and Palau (we also see some nice ones in those works too); though I don't think the Federation themselves are responsible for Palua. Sweetwater was explicitly built as a temporary place to house refugees following a past war that is heavily implied to be the One Year War, and the Federation are so broke in that film they're selling Axis to Char to fund welfare schemes. Which is probably why they haven't done anything to fix up the colony in the years since it was constructed from the remains of two other colonies. Which is how Char gees up support among the populace. I'm not sure what you think G-Reco has to do with it though, unless you're assuming the Federation was still around by the end of UC and directly responsible for the cannibalism and other issues in G-Reco's backstory; which there's nothing indicating to my recollection. Especially with the Federation's arc from 0079 to Victory being to get smaller and less powerful, with them barely retaining any by Victory. They're outright gone by the time of Crossbone: Dust and G-Saviour, depending on what you take as canon.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 11, 2020

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
The majority of the protagonists in UC Gundam come from upper middle class backgrounds; they live in the nice colonies or the nicer parts of them. Judau and co in ZZ are from one of the oldest most established colonies, and the series takes him to many other highly dysfunctional places people live in space. I take this (and the huge dissatifaction shown by many spacenoids over the series) to imply that life in space ain't all green suburbs and vacation colonies.

G-Reco by the end makes it explicitly clear humanity cannot make a permanent in home in space. It puts the entire franchise under question, but especially the mid-Cold War utopian vision of space colonization the original series builds from.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah Crossbone Dust shows the beginning of the Federation's final collapse while both G-Savior and Gaia Gear are despite being otherwise contradictory possible futures for the UC are in agreement about the Federation collapsing late in the 0100's

Honestly it's actually kinda impressive that the Federation managed to hang on so long when the odds should have been in favor of the Federation collapsing in the early 0080's from the aftermath of the One Year War

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Maarak posted:

G-Reco by the end makes it explicitly clear humanity cannot make a permanent in home in space. It puts the entire franchise under question, but especially the mid-Cold War utopian vision of space colonization the original series builds from.

Turn A also has people living on the Moon with millenia without those physiological issues. They do have a psychological yearning to return to Earth, but that's a different thing, and not much different to Zanscare or the Jupiter Empire. That aside, the Federation being wrong does not make them barbarians. I take the fact we see far more nice living space on the colonies than bad ones, and more bad living spaces on Earth than the colonies to mean that the colonies aren't more bad than good despite them also having poorer colonies. Especially when at least some of those colonies are bad specifically because they got cut off from the Federation, and had no greater support structure to maintain the colony.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

No, their failure to adapt is what lead to zeon, the titans, neo-zeon 1, neo-zeon 2, the crossbone vanguard, and the zanscare. that's the barbarism part.

Zeon was born from a deranged lunatic pushing an ideology that created the Zabi family who killed said Lunatic, forcefully declared themselves royalty and then gassed people in the name of independence they already had.

The Titans were formed from the fear people had of what the Zabi family did, spurred on by the tremendous damage to both Earth and Space, lead by a man who was again, following the ideology of a deranged lunatic, with the added caveat that he believed in the superiority of the Earth Born and they should be the ones to live in and own space.

Neo Zeon 1 was formed by colonists living out by Jupiter because the harshness of living that far out into space made them crave the comfort of earth, is mostly staffed by children who've been indoctrinated into believing their sovereign is unto a god, and again, has their own independence and launched a war for control and territory.

Neo Zeon 2 was formed by the son of the deranged lunatic, who acted as he believed he needed to act due to his fathers status. He also is lost and directionless and needed a figure to guide him. Ultimately he just really wanted to fight his rival again.

The Crossbone Vanguard were formed because a guy got cucked.

The Zanscare left their prosperous empire in the Jupiter Sphere to attack a basically broken, dying federation that was essentially broke and unable to defend itself.

Barbarism has nothing to do with any of these groups.