Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If you resurrect a vampire, won't they stop being a vampire?

Every time Dracula gets brought back, is he ever not a vampire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

no vampire would dare to come back after being shat out of a cat. imagine being the cat poop vampire. I'd just stay dead

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

T-man posted:

no vampire would dare to come back after being shat out of a cat. imagine being the cat poop vampire. I'd just stay dead

It's funny because vampires are catty.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Can you drink a vampires blood without becoming a vampire? Maybe Greebo is a vampire now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Coming January 3rd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px-ljMM_EeM

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
well it's a million times better than the previous ones

there's the nugget of a decent action/sci-fi series in there, and honestly even an OK Discworld one

they just need to get rid of all the kookiness and all the loving awful "comedy", and cast a Vimes whose acting talent isn't limited to just pulling one face all the time

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Julio Cruz posted:

there's the nugget of a decent action/sci-fi series in there, and honestly even an OK Discworld one

they just need to get rid of all the kookiness and all the loving awful "comedy", and cast a Vimes whose acting talent isn't limited to just pulling one face all the time

Really? It looked bland and uninteresting to me

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

im gonna watch it but i'll be mad the entire time you can't stop me

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

:hmmno:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’ll watch the first ep at least, while my boyfriend just flat out refuses to.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

What I assume is supposed to be Detritus looks pretty good.

I cannot find another positive.

If you want change you need power? From Sybil? gently caress. Off.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

well, I've gone from "I'll probably secretly hate-watch this, at least for the first episode" to "I'll probably secretly watch this for a least the first 2 episodes"

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Looks like a show produced and scripted by people who deep down, in their heart of hearts, don't believe that Terry Pratchett's setting or humor would work on TV in 2021. Which makes one wonder why they licensed the setting to begin with, if not to trick people who like Discworld into watching.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

good grief

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Space Butler posted:

What I assume is supposed to be Detritus looks pretty good.

I cannot find another positive.

Seconded. It's not Discworld, though it might be alright if it wasn't pretending to be, and Detritus is the high point apart from his "me thick troll" dialogue being about not knowing something that nobody else should know either.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

sibyl using a dragon as a flamethrower because gently caress you, it's punk

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Julio Cruz posted:

Okay I am absolutely certain we did not watch the same video.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

This looks like it might be fun to watch, but why is it in the Terry Pratchett thread?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

T-man posted:

sibyl using a dragon as a flamethrower because gently caress you, it's punk

Haven't both she and Vimes pulled that in the books?

I'm allergic to cringe so I can't afford to risk watching the trailer.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

she did in The Fifth Elephant, after a dwarf threatens her husband and child, rather than just because it looks cool (she goes on a tirade in Guard Guards (iirc) about people abusing dragons in that fashion.)

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Considering how likely they are to explode without forcing them to shoot fire it doesn't seem like a practical weapon

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Because when I think Terry Pratchett's books, I think cool action.

-----------

Narsham posted:

Looks like a show produced and scripted by people who deep down, in their heart of hearts, don't believe that Terry Pratchett's setting or humor would work on TV in 2021. Which makes one wonder why they licensed the setting to begin with, if not to trick people who like Discworld into watching.

Basically this, except lol at deep down.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I'll try and check out the first episode or two but I can't imagine I'd stick with it much longer. It just doesn't look like it'd be particularily entertaining or funny.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

freelop posted:

Considering how likely they are to explode without forcing them to shoot fire it doesn't seem like a practical weapon
IIRC she explicitly pointed that out, like "wow, these dragons sure do get nervous, better be careful..."

e: what I actually came in here to post is that
41 Discworld books are $4.99 each on Kindle today over at Amazon

and if I was not poor I'd just buy double copies and get rid of my physical ones forever

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Testekill posted:

I'll try and check out the first episode or two but I can't imagine I'd stick with it much longer. It just doesn't look like it'd be particularily entertaining or funny.

If it were an original series I'd be very interested.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

even the thumbnail is terrible

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

T-man posted:

im gonna watch it but i'll be mad the entire time you can't stop me

My feelings exactly

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm gonna read some books. Not Pratchett, since I've already read those many times. Other books.

Books are nice :) you dont have to watch TV. You don't have to get mad.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Beachcomber posted:

Haven't both she and Vimes pulled that in the books?

I'm allergic to cringe so I can't afford to risk watching the trailer.

Vimes did in Guards Guards.

quote:

“A streak of green fire blasted out of the back of the shed, passed a foot over the heads of the mob, and burned a charred rosette in the woodwork over the door.

Then came a voice that was a honeyed purr of sheer deadly menance.

"This is Lord Mountjoy Quickfang Winterforth IV, the hottest dragon in the city. It could burn your head clean off."

Captain Vimes limped forward from the shadows. A small and extremely frightened golden dragon was clamped firmly under one arm. His other hand held it by the tail. The rioters watched it, hypnotized.

"Now I know what you're thinking," Vimes went on, softly. "You're wondering, after all this excitement, has it got enough flame left? And, y'know, I ain't so sure myself..."

He leaned forward, sighting between the dragon's ears, and his voice buzzed like a knife blade: "What you've got to ask yourself is: Am I feeling lucky?”

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

VanSandman posted:

If it were an original series I'd be very interested.

Yeah, if I weren't going to be comparing it to the source material every step of the way I'd be pretty hype for this.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I feel like if it didn't have the source material and name boosting it I'd probably never have heard of it though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

I feel like if it didn't have the source material and name boosting it I'd probably never have heard of it though.

Oh you're not a nerd? Me neither haha.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It looks like pure distilled nineties.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Really don't like the quippy sarcastic death. Why is literally every single character other than detritus quippy and sarcastic. gently caress you tv show writers, learn to write some sincerity in your work

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Terror Sweat posted:

Really don't like the quippy sarcastic death. Why is literally every single character other than detritus quippy and sarcastic. gently caress you tv show writers, learn to write some sincerity in your work

Seriouspost: It's literally impossible to write good dialogue of you're not capable of good dialogue in IRL life.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Terror Sweat posted:

quote:

There were a lot of things he could say. "Son of a bitch!" would have been a good one. Or he could say, "Welcome to civilization!" He could have said, "Laugh this one off!" He might have said, "Fetch!"

But he didn’t, because if he had said any of those things then he’d have known that what he had just done was murder.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

:hmmyes:

It really does seem like this entire series is an exercise in Missing The Point.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fighting Trousers posted:

:hmmyes:

It really does seem like this entire series is an exercise in Missing The Point.

It's an exercise in not liking the point, and so ignoring it.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Why is the patrician telling vimes to investigate the dragon, it should be the opposite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

Why is the patrician telling vimes to investigate the dragon, it should be the opposite

Vimes should tell the dragon to investigate the patrician?