Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Buschmaki posted:

I'm probably going to keep wearing a mask during the flu season and stuff "after" covid. I'm cautiously optimistic that at least some other people will too and maybe even flu deaths will decrease.

Vaccines are already scheduled in my country, I dun even know which were gonna get but yea, I might not be wearing full face shield and double mask, but I'm gonna be wearing one for a bit while, just for precaution and probably to avoid getting a bug while riding public transport.

I used to get dead sick a lot, like flu after flu after flu during the year. This year I've been healthy when it comes to respiratory illnesses. It feels so nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

zgrowler2 posted:

That Japanese cyber mask from a few pages back inspired me and I'm seriously considering getting a half-mask respirator and asking a friend who paints minis to spruce it up. Might skip the greebling for now, but I wanna look slick if I'm forced to go out and about. Also wanna save the rotating KN95s for when I need em (e.g., work requires that I be clearly heard and understood when talking).

Get the 3M full face respirator and the 3M reflective UV foil for it. You'll look like Cobra Commander.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
So about that vaccine rollout plan ......

https://twitter.com/DWUhlfelderLaw/status/1338310529954275328

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

teen witch posted:

As an American in Sweden seeing them is blood boiling. It is a miracle that I don’t want to travel to see my family, who I loving miss to bits, and run into them because I can, and will, rip out their endocrine system. Because of them I do not get to celebrate Xmas after a bonkers stressful year with my family. I can’t stop crying over it I’m so loving mad I just want to see my mom. More than anything

My mother got diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer last year in November. I visited her as soon as I found out but I'll never be able to see her again, she's on literally the other side of the planet. She has decided to stop taking meds as the last scan said it was bigger.

edit: VVV I spoke to her this morning, she's still doing fine, up and about. So I'd be really mad if there were no phones or video calls. As it is at least I can show her her grandchildren (she's met one of two IRL, once) over a whatsapp video so it could be worse.

redreader fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 14, 2020

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

redreader posted:

My mother got diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer last year in November. I visited her as soon as I found out but I'll never be able to see her again, she's on literally the other side of the planet. She has decided to stop taking meds as the last scan said it was bigger.

Christ, gently caress, that’s one of my biggest fears. My grandpa had surgery a few weeks back on his heart, and he’s fine, but my mom said that he’s slowly declining, mentally. He practically raised me. Because of my grandpa I got into computers and fix things with my hands. If he gets the virus it’s all over.

I’m so sorry, I’d loving snap hard if I were in your shoes. No one should have to go through that. Please take care of yourself.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

zgrowler2 posted:

That Japanese cyber mask from a few pages back inspired me and I'm seriously considering getting a half-mask respirator and asking a friend who paints minis to spruce it up. Might skip the greebling for now, but I wanna look slick if I'm forced to go out and about. Also wanna save the rotating KN95s for when I need em (e.g., work requires that I be clearly heard and understood when talking).

I have a half mask respirator and wore it at the beginning of this whole before I could get my hands on some cloth masks and the only thing I'll advise to you is that it's hard to speak effectively in one. Some masks have combo mic/speaker attachments that will let you speak normally but they tend to cost an obscene amount of money.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

We have a fan that blows air into our room from the outside, is there a risk in having that on? We live in a townhouse with a courtyard. No one is usually out there at night but with as much as this poo poo is ramping up I'm becoming paranoid again.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The Honeywell half-masks with speaking diaphragms aren't expensive and are an improvement imo. If you're just using a respirator for errands, you don't need it. If you're working as a teacher or in any job where you have to talk to randos, it's worth it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hahaha this stupid rear end in a top hat is going to do the same thing that has caused literally everything about coronavirus in America to be the worst: half-rear end the solution, making everything worse than doing nothing or being competent.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Sucrose posted:

I think I'm gonna lose my nice office job, fellow goons. My job performance is really poor, I'm not getting the stuff done that I should get done, I don't/can't keep track of things. We've been working from home for the last couple months (again) after our state's cases went way up, I live by myself and so am alone essentially 24/7, for weeks, and I guess I'm just falling apart mentally. Can't go visit my parents either, because of the risk of covid.

I don't feel sick but I think I am. I don't know why else I'm doing so poorly at life right now. I was doing fine until the pandemic came along. I'm one of the lucky ones, to still have a job during this whole time, but I guess I'm just falling apart. I don't even feel lonely, just....dull. The internet is pretty much my only source of social interaction.

I'm just here crying right now because my life's going to poo poo and other people have it so much worse than me; the only one that loving things up is myself. I don't know what to do, I'm already on medication, and I can't go out and meet people. Nothing to do but sit alone in my apartment and drink and feel sorry for myself I guess. God knows what I'm gonna do if I lose my job now.

Hey mate, I know there have been several replies to this, but please shoot me a PM. You are in the same state I was in a month ago and I can hopefully offer some advice.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Elderbean posted:

We have a fan that blows air into our room from the outside, is there a risk in having that on? We live in a townhouse with a courtyard. No one is usually out there at night but with as much as this poo poo is ramping up I'm becoming paranoid again.

Not unless someone is standing outside your window and exhaling into it, and if they are, you may have bigger problems than covid

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Kind of an interesting thing I've noticed locally is that Trump supporters, despite thinking Trump deserves 100% credit for the vaccine, refuse to take it.

The local Republican facebook page is full of people saying they will not take the vaccine because it "imprints the Mark of the Beast on your DNA".

Fine with me, let my parents take your place in line you old psychopath.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
germany is currently planning vaccines to be able to wide population only starting december next year

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
Aaanndd... The Netherlands following neighbour Germany in hard lockdown from tonight probably. Press conference this evening.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Mithaldu posted:

germany is currently planning vaccines to be able to wide population only starting december next year

Jesus that's honestly pretty depressing. First of all that this is the rose-tinted, optimistic scenario before supply chains start getting hosed up. Second, that it doesn't even bother forecasting how long it will take to vaccinate all the people in group 6, it's just up to the reader to figure out that that's more than half of the population of Germany and the best forecast is that it will take 11 months to vaccinate less than half of the country.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Mithaldu posted:

I don't read German so can I ask why? My understanding is that Canadians are going to start wide rollout in April and I think of Germany being more advanced than us in technology, wealth and social welfare.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

If Coronaviruses mutate slowly, how bad is it to half-rear end the vaccine? Is it reasonably likely to result in resistance like bacteria, or do the viruses mutate slowly enough that it simply wouldn't protect very well?

Basically, is Florida literally going to kill us all?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Another Bill posted:

I don't read German so can I ask why? My understanding is that Canadians are going to start wide rollout in April and I think of Germany being more advanced than us in technology, wealth and social welfare.

Group 1 - Very High Risk; medical personnel with high exposure, paramedical personnel in contact with vulnerable patients, etc; Jan through April, 8.6 million people
Group 2 - High Risk; other medical personnel, old folks and people in LTC, mainly. May, June, 6.7 million people
Group 3 - Moderate risk; relatives of high-risk people, homeless people, underlying health conditions, etc July and beginning of August, 5.5 million people.
Group 4 - Low risk; seasonal workers, high-volume customer service, meat processing, students, teachers. August, September, 6.9 million people
Group 5 - Very low risk: public servants, retail, critical infrastucture such as police, firefighters, the army. October, November, 9+ million people
Group 6 - Negligable risk: random under-60 folks - Around December, about 45 million people.

Do bear in mind that Canada has a population of about 38 million people, about half of Germany's, meaning that on this timetable, we'd in theory be done vaccinating everybody by September or October.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://twitter.com/nhannahjones/status/1338490926604414981

i know this is silly as heck, considering that the whole "testing phase" consisted of thousands getting vaccinated, and that no business does this kind of gesture out of anything but a profit motive, but if this upsets chuds then i'm happy

Another Bill posted:

honestly, i don't know why. but i'd guess that it's a combo of being usa neighbors and having half the population

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Blistex posted:

Get the 3M full face respirator and the 3M reflective UV foil for it. You'll look like Cobra Commander.

My dentist has one of those, it looked neat.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I don't see the wealthy or middle-class waiting until December next year - Certainly in Europe people can jump in their car and be in another country in a couple of hours where a private vaccation will likely be available in a few months.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Baconroll posted:

I don't see the wealthy or middle-class waiting until December next year - Certainly in Europe people can jump in their car and be in another country in a couple of hours where a private vaccation will likely be available in a few months.

I doubt I'll be first in line to get vaccinated, but if by March my wife and I can pay $250 each for a "private vaccine" dose of whatever, as much as I thought I dislike paying for dining out, I really don't care about the cost at this point, going from "total lockdown at home" to "it's probably safe to eat outdoors because we're vaccinated and mostly immune" and have the entire spring/summer back seems, well thinking about it some more, even $1000 is probably worth it. It's not like we're spending any money right now anyways.

Assuming that everything shakes out ok and this vaccine doesn't have a weird long term side effect like narcolepsy or something that we find out in the next couple of months.

One full year of total lock down was hard enough, I dunno if I can handle another

Edit: looks like India is planning on a parallel private market for the vaccine there, at $8 per dose, vs $3 for the state provided free version:

https://www.afr.com/world/asia/covid-19-vaccines-will-be-available-for-private-purchase-in-india-20201207-p56lbs

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 14, 2020

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Black Bean has a tendency to stare and likes to hide.

Violet_Sky posted:

Does anyone else feel like they are going to be afraid of large gatherings even after Covid? I have anxiety (diagnosed pre-Covid) and this whole thing has made me even more afraid of large crowds.

I know it’s irrational, but seeing indoor gatherings in TV shows and movies filmed pre-COVID-19 makes me nervous, so I think I feel the same as you.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

naem
May 29, 2011

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
air permanently tinted green from 30 years of legal weed smoke

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Tagra posted:

If Coronaviruses mutate slowly, how bad is it to half-rear end the vaccine? Is it reasonably likely to result in resistance like bacteria, or do the viruses mutate slowly enough that it simply wouldn't protect very well?

Maybe.

I guess in theory a weak immune response from having a single shot of the vaccine might allow more of the virus to replicate in a person and only the most vulnerable virus strains get taken out by the immune system.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Tagra posted:

As the weeks go by, the slowly worsening symptoms like photosensitivity increase until FloridaMan seeks refuge in a cave. Diseased but not dying he lies in wait for yet another victim to join him in his refuge, as he is HUNGRY.

Floridaman becomes the actual C.H.U.D.?

Seems reasonable.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Mithaldu posted:

I approve this plan because it means fewer fat germans trying to reserve sunbeds at resorts around Europe in the summer of '21.

jk you guys arent as bad as the russians

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Icept posted:

I approve this plan because it means fewer fat germans trying to reserve sunbeds at resorts around Europe in the summer of '21.

jk you guys arent as bad as the russians

They can't be worse than american tourists.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

TheCenturion posted:

Group 1 - Very High Risk; medical personnel with high exposure, paramedical personnel in contact with vulnerable patients, etc; Jan through April, 8.6 million people
Group 2 - High Risk; other medical personnel, old folks and people in LTC, mainly. May, June, 6.7 million people
Group 3 - Moderate risk; relatives of high-risk people, homeless people, underlying health conditions, etc July and beginning of August, 5.5 million people.
Group 4 - Low risk; seasonal workers, high-volume customer service, meat processing, students, teachers. August, September, 6.9 million people
Group 5 - Very low risk: public servants, retail, critical infrastucture such as police, firefighters, the army. October, November, 9+ million people
Group 6 - Negligable risk: random under-60 folks - Around December, about 45 million people.

Do bear in mind that Canada has a population of about 38 million people, about half of Germany's, meaning that on this timetable, we'd in theory be done vaccinating everybody by September or October.

For us other European countries that try to follow the generally sane policies this means that my work-from-home continues for another 9 months.

Its not exactly nice thing to think right now, but at least it gives us who work in the universities enough time to see how bad the real side effects are. So that is a plus. I think I have to supplement my Netflix with an Amazon Prime...

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Bronze Fonz posted:

They can't be worse than american tourists.

Americans are loud and often come across as naive but are generally completely harmless. People just like to give you a little bit of a hard time because of the #1 murica! stuff.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Icept posted:

Americans are loud and often come across as naive but are generally completely harmless. People just like to give you a little bit of a hard time because of the #1 murica! stuff.

I'm not american and I would say unbearably obnoxious more than naive.

e: I forgot loud and dumb.

Bronze Fonz fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 15, 2020

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now
Posting from the UK at the epicentre of the outbreak of the new strain of Covid

Not a lot to report really at the moment, cases are rising though despite being in the highest tier of lockdown though

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/14/new-strain-of-covid-19-may-be-cause-of-rise-in-cases-hancock-tells-mps

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
as an american that lived in europe (mostly italy) for 5 years, the worst tourist behaviors were usually from the chinese, russians, brits and aussies. like mentioned earlier, americans are mostly naive/ignorant/loud. florence in february is nothing but annoying American college kids on their semester abroad.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Canadian tourists are the worst because they loudly and ignorantly proclaim Americans are the most loud and ignorant. When traveling abroad I make a point of avoiding other Canadians.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Australian cruise ships were barely controlled drunken riots.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Bronze Fonz posted:

I'm not american and I would say unbearably obnoxious more than naive.

e: I forgot loud and dumb.

Please tell us what hellhole you are from.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Helith posted:

Just bringing a taste of home wherever they go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Helith posted:

Man I can't wait to go cruising