Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

BonerGhost posted:

I'm a denizen of the Great Plains so when I hear "trees" I think "invasive bullshit".

Forests seem nice and all but why would you want to live near one

It's nice to live near trees/forest, but they should be away from any structure by at least the largest of: their height, their canopy, or their root travel. Certain horrific, overgrown-weeds like silver maples shouldn't be anywhere closer than 100 ft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

B-Nasty posted:

It's nice to live near trees/forest, but they should be away from any structure by at least the largest of: their height, their canopy, or their root travel. Certain horrific, overgrown-weeds like silver maples shouldn't be anywhere closer than 100 ft.

Can confirm. I got a 70 year old silver maple in my back yard, maybe 12 feet from my house. On top of the usual leaves clogging gutters, silver maples have very shallow roots and drop a metric poo poo ton of sticks. I call it my stick tree. If you get from apples from apple trees, then what do you get every year from a stick tree?

Seriously, those roots are awful. Every time I try to plant something in the garden between that tree and my house, it becomes major excavation just to cut out all of its drat roots.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

kid sinister posted:

Can confirm. I got a 70 year old silver maple in my back yard, maybe 12 feet from my house. On top of the usual leaves clogging gutters, silver maples have very shallow roots and drop a metric poo poo ton of sticks. I call it my stick tree. If you get from apples from apple trees, then what do you get every year from a stick tree?

Also confirming. My neighbors have a huge one in their front yard and it litters my yard with sticks year round.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Silver Alders should be added to the list of garbage trees that exist just to poo poo leaves and branches then die prematurely and fall on your house.

I have a couple hundred, but they're all away from the house where they can nitrogenate the soil for some giant firs later down the line.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elviscat posted:

Silver Alders should be added to the list of garbage trees that exist just to poo poo leaves and branches then die prematurely and fall on your house.

Don't forget tulip poplars. The softest and most branch breaking-ist of the hardwood trees. They grow like 2 feet a year, drop branched everywhere, drop spikey poo poo from their flowers everywhere and look awesome for like....14 days a year tops.

Garbage. Tree.

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!

Motronic posted:

Don't forget tulip poplars. The softest and most branch breaking-ist of the hardwood trees. They grow like 2 feet a year, drop branched everywhere, drop spikey poo poo from their flowers everywhere and look awesome for like....14 days a year tops.

Garbage. Tree.

Welp, we just planted one of these. Our landscape designer is some sort of professional tree nerd and recommended it. Apparently, it also won a tree award from urban arborists. I will try to get someone to do training pruning as it grows to give it the best shot avoiding serious limb dropping.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Planting a tulip poplar is such a foreign concept to me. Here they just spontaneously generate everywhere: your lawn, your garden, your gutters, little shoots everywhere.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mcgreenvegtables posted:

Welp, we just planted one of these.

Lol sorry.

I mean...it's a tree. It grows real fast and it looks nice even without blossoms. So it's not the worst choice? But I've got a bunch of 80 foot ones. Several of which I've already cut down.

This is a "someone else later" problem that you have. So you'll be fine.

The one the pisses me off in particular is 60 or 70 feet tall and right next to one of the corners of my house. It drops poo poo on the roof all the drat time.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

My neighbors have a huge silver maple that is approx 6 inches from my driveway. It has pushed up my driveway, front yard, my sidewalks, neighbors sidewalks, everything--to the point where trucks can't go up my driveway and most cars scrape their mufflers at a minimum getting up it. It sucks and at some point I'm going to have to have a Come To Jesus talk with them about getting rid of it bc I need to replace half my driveway, the aprop, a bunch of sidewalk, and regrade the yard, and I suspect cutting out a bunch of its roots to do so will either kill the tree or cause it to grow new roots and just ruin all the new concrete in <10yrs. It's a really nice probably close to 100yo tree and I absolutely do not want to kill it just for a stupid driveway but I'm not sure what else to do.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Bury a vertical steel plate to block future root growth in damaging places?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

3D Megadoodoo posted:

a) trees falling on your house in high winds is not good

This happened to me in January 2019, only it was a wet, heavy snow.

I posted about it in this thread and everyone wanted me to move into a hotel instead of staying with my parents while it was being fixed. Well, we got a new roof as soon as the snow melted, but the hole in the bedroom wall where it buckled just has a piece of plywood screwed over it, and the drywall where the branches pierced through the laundry room ceiling still has holes.

My landlord, while a nice guy, is kind of a slumlord (on the plus side, he hasn't raised our rent in 9.5 years of living here). I can't wait to move.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
So what's the best "won't be a pain in my or the next guy's life" tree? My vote is the pin oak.

Or maybe a flowering dogwood, since they're pretty and don't get very tall.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 16, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kid sinister posted:

So what's the best "won't be a pain in my or the next guy's life" tree?

A concrete slab.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

gravel

e:f;b

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

sleepy gary posted:

gravel

e:f;b

This is what you get if you beat concrete.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Seriously, what's the tree choice for your own property other than getting an apartment?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kid sinister posted:

Seriously, what's the tree choice for your own property other than getting an apartment?

All trees are a problem. The closer to your house the worse.

But we choose to have trees anyway because trees are awesome. And a money pit, just like the house you plant them around.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Firs and cedars are really nice, they grow straight and don't have tons of overhang.

You can also get a variety of dwarf and semi dwarf trees that won't grow to tower over the house, that will still be pretty.

I really like plums and cherries, very attractive trees, grow to a reasonable size, produce fruit.

It's up to you and your local climate too, in SoCal gravel is probably your best option on any front, maybe with some cactus and brush, the NE is a totally different place. Find a local group of green thumbs for advice.

I, for one think that a concrete slab and manicured lawn are depressing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

plant a black walnut, which will drip poison to kill any other trees that might intrude on your yard AND by the time it gets big enough to be a problem, it will be automatically removed from your property

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tunicate posted:

plant a black walnut,

Check, got some of those loving things too.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Ultra-dwarf fruit trees would be my pick for not being problematic. My parents have a few in a brick planter. They look nice, grow a manageable amount of fruit each year, and don't cause a fuss.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I've got a gingko in my backyard which is awesome, because for years I planned to plant a gingko whenever I finally had my own yard. In the fall they turn yellow all at once and after a frost, drop all of their leaves in a day or two. Their shape and the leaves are really beautiful all year round.

But then it turns out it might be a hermaphrodite tree. Previous owner left me something that says it's a male, but last fall it dropped fruit. Gingko fruit is mildly poisonous AND touching it with bare hands can give you blisters similar to poison ivy. And when it starts to rot, it smells like vomit! This fall, no fruit. I've read they can spontaneously change their gender, so I have no clue what to expect next.

Previous owner made a lot of bizarre landscaping decisions and planted half a dozen weird rear end trees on this .2 acre lot, 2 of which I've already had to remove, 2 which are ok for now, and 2 of which grow inedible-because-they're-poisonous fruit.

Pics of the dumb trees I've had to remove:

Yeah let's just let this sapling grow directly on the property line and inside the fence and directly next to the garage for 20+ years instead of pulling out when it's tiny, makes sense

Chopped off the main branches of this tree and then left the massive dead trunk in the yard for a decade+

Edit: added some pics

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 16, 2020

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Motronic totes avoided answering that question seriously. My vote for trees that will give you the least problems is a pin oak and flowering dogwood.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Tunicate posted:

plant a black walnut, which will drip poison to kill any other trees that might intrude on your yard AND by the time it gets big enough to be a problem, it will be automatically removed from your property

Put it right next to the nice new concrete slab so that your driveway is forever stained a sickly green.

There was a tree about 20' west of my house, dunno what it was, it was removed after I bought the house but before I moved in, as it was a hazard, but I think it was a walnut. Anyways, fucker grew roots under literally my entire house, so like 70+' long roots.

At least I'm able to date my water line by the 90' Doug Fir that it's running through the exact center of the root bundle of.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

kid sinister posted:

Apple, plum, cherry.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Fruit‐bearing trees are cool & good. Many types don’t get overwhelmingly large, and whether or not that’s their natural inclination, they should be under a pruning regimen that keeps their fruit in reach.

Shade trees are a more challenging recommendation because they have to get large to do their jobs.

I do like ginkgoes. They are considered by many to be the best street trees. Beware they grow pretty slowly, though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't even know what the big-rear end trees on the front yard are, but then I rent so :shrug: (This is in the city so forest fires aren't a problem, and they seem to pretty regularly remove trees that are deemed to be dangerous, as the house is protected.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

kid sinister posted:

So what's the best "won't be a pain in my or the next guy's life" tree? My vote is the pin oak.

Or maybe a flowering dogwood, since they're pretty and don't get very tall.
Giant bamboo, particularly if you would like to be remembered for something in your county or township.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

BonerGhost posted:

I'm a denizen of the Great Plains so when I hear "trees" I think "invasive bullshit".

Forests seem nice and all but why would you want to live near one

Oh forests are great, just want to keep them at least 20 meters from the house or further. They are full of free food that you can pick every year and freeze so it lasts until next season. They are nice to go hiking in and they produce more material for building or maintaining your house or heating it, assuming you own the land anyway.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The sentiment was completely alien to me until I got to the key detail I'd missed, which I have now bolded. That took the cold and gloomy parts from "what" to "different strokes."

I live in the DC metro area. It's too built up for catastrophic forest fires, so the choice is between lots that abut woods on one or more sides, and suburban wasteland sprawling in all directions. And "not enough sun" isn't a problem it's possible to have during the summer. I vastly prefer forests to wide open spaces in any case, and I like the critters that live in trees, but that's just preference. And also perhaps a function of what trees are native to your area, idk.

The trees here where mostly boring young pines and firs, not very pretty trees. I kept as many birch trees as possible though, I love birch. In spring you can tap their sap as well like a maple.

I am gonna fell some more of the pine trees this year, because I am building another building and I will use the logs to hold up the roof.Gonna need two or three 16½ feet (5m) long logs to around 6 inches or more for the roof.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Figs are an A+ tree: attractive, not too tall if the right type and produce an abundance of tasty fruit. May also attract wasps but it's nbd.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Sycamore. Had one in my yard as a kid. It was pretty dope.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

gently caress no not sycamores, you're not allowed to plant them anywhere near buildings here the roots are so destructive. There's 5 alongside our house (built after the trees grew) and I spend an ungodly amount of time pulling seedlings out of everywhere every year.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Why not oaks? Or any trees that give fruit.

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!

Sirotan posted:

My neighbors have a huge silver maple that is approx 6 inches from my driveway. It has pushed up my driveway, front yard, my sidewalks, neighbors sidewalks, everything--to the point where trucks can't go up my driveway and most cars scrape their mufflers at a minimum getting up it. It sucks and at some point I'm going to have to have a Come To Jesus talk with them about getting rid of it bc I need to replace half my driveway, the aprop, a bunch of sidewalk, and regrade the yard, and I suspect cutting out a bunch of its roots to do so will either kill the tree or cause it to grow new roots and just ruin all the new concrete in <10yrs. It's a really nice probably close to 100yo tree and I absolutely do not want to kill it just for a stupid driveway but I'm not sure what else to do.

One of these grew itself to death and was removed from my property shortly before I bought it. I had the stump ground when I moved in and it generated yards and yards of chips. Then this fall we regraded the lot and the crew used their excavator to pull out the remaining probably 4-5 foot radius and 18 inches thick stump that was completely below grade. Just giving you an idea of what you are in for.

Also after this experience, I no longer understand the point of stump grinding. Just bring in the right size excavator and a dump truck and you will have the stump gone in 90 minutes with no mess other than a giant pit in the ground.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Motronic posted:

A concrete slab.

Tons of people in the UK chose this option for their front yards and now we have massive flooding that's getting worse year on year because our shitearse government continues to be asleep at the wheel and ignore structural issues such as: the need for storm drainage, the need to stop approving new house builds in known flood zones :lol:

If you don't want a tree at least plant some bushes or something to help slow down water runoff, hell even like an acer or a tiny apple tree or something, you don't have to let them get house-crushingly huge!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
An excavator of the 'right size' to yank out a stump can be cost prohibitive depending upon the size of the stump.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Motronic posted:

A concrete slab.

Yeah all the new street trees in Vancouver now go in with cylindrical root barriers around them so they don't gently caress up the road/sidewalk. I'm not actually sure what they're made of, though.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Empty Sandwich posted:

neighbor chat:

my parents live in a former manse. the church is uphill.

they decided to build a fellowship hall (the building where fellowship is stored (also there is a gym and kitchen)), and paved an area that has been gravel.

the next medium rain, my parents' basement flooded, which had been a problem. Dad installed a sump, but it was on the same circuit that's only ever used for the Christmas lights, so you can imagine why it was accidentally shut off.

they went and said, "hey, we've got some additional flooding. can you do something about that?"

the church immediately hired someone to ameliorate the flooding (they're pretty nice over there), and that solved the problem

Where fellowship is stored?
Fellowship being a specific object, rather than the act of being a fellow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS