Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Wouldn't breaking it into 3 reduce damage to the earth? Because more of the material would burn up on entry due to the increased surface area. I'd think 3x as much stuff hitting a single location would be more of a "and then sweetwater's impact plunged the earth into a nuclear winter" scenario, while the spread out damage ~merely~ wiped out half of everyone living on earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Stuff like "Londo Bell was trying to slow Axis down but that's the opposite of what they should be trying to do in that situation" can be written off as film convenience. Even in universe they'd probably portray it that way.

For earthnoids, anyway... though I imagine a lot of spacenoids were not necessarily aware of space physics beyond "Oh, the colony rotates, that's what makes gravity." Probably get a lot of snotnosed kids fresh from school getting to um-actually about it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Onmi posted:

Sentinel is one of those things that's got the makings of something interesting rather than something that is interesting. It's weird because they DID plan a Sentinel 2

So you think they would have left things to be built off

I mean, they had a few surviving characters, with the lead and a Neo Zeon agent both making it through the story. There's also one person left who knew about the Secret Program, and the parts to kickstart it again.

It's just there's nothing interesting to build with the remaining parts.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Arcsquad12 posted:

I thought that the destruction from the colony drop was more through the colony splitting up on reentry thanks to the fleet redirecting it from Jaburo? With three big chunks falling across the globe and an entire shoal zone's worth of debris striking in a massive meteor shower that seems like it would be the real killer, not just the force of the impact that killed Sydney.

Redirecting it implies that the effort was consciously pushing the impact site away from Jaburo and to some place else. Which is not something that Gundam has implied or stated before to my knowledge. I've seen people mention it as being a deliberate thing before, pushing the orbit away from Jaburo regardless of where it hits, but I've never seen someone say where that's from, if it is something that Tianem deliberately did in some variant of the story.

Onmi posted:

Yes and notably the Dublin drop, while still devastating, didn't cause nearly the destruction of British, because that colony was unscathed when it impacted.

Why would making the impactors smaller and lighter increase their destructive potential?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

tsob posted:

Redirecting it implies that the effort was consciously pushing the impact site away from Jaburo and to some place else. Which is not something that Gundam has implied or stated before to my knowledge. I've seen people mention it as being a deliberate thing before, pushing the orbit away from Jaburo regardless of where it hits, but I've never seen someone say where that's from, if it is something that Tianem deliberately did in some variant of the story.

Why would making the impactors smaller and lighter increase their destructive potential?

Because when the colony impacted on Sydney, it detonated like a bomb. When the Dublin drop happened, it devastated the surrounding area and did tremendous damage, but the colony didn't explode from it. Basically, while the colony was intact it hadn't been damaged from mega particle and missile fire, so it didn't go nuclear, Sydney's colony was smaller, but detonated.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
That does actually explain why Sydney was the only notable site during Isle Iffish, despite it falling on 3 separate places. I know the other two sites were devastated to some degree too, but Sydney much more so.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ninjewtsu posted:

Wouldn't breaking it into 3 reduce damage to the earth? Because more of the material would burn up on entry due to the increased surface area. I'd think 3x as much stuff hitting a single location would be more of a "and then sweetwater's impact plunged the earth into a nuclear winter" scenario, while the spread out damage ~merely~ wiped out half of everyone living on earth

Not everything that passes through the atmosphere burns up on reentry. The space shuttle reenters earth atmosphere. Imagine hundreds or thousands of chunks of metal sturdier than the space shuttle falling through the atmosphere, on fire, and striking cities or fields and causing massive wildfires.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Space movies didn't have to be as accurate before Kerbal Space Program

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The Origin OVA, and presumably the manga too, goes into a bit more detail than just "colony hits Sydney" by explaining the particular disasters the other two pieces cause, as well as the overall climate apocalypse and such. The middle segment lands in the Pacific and causes earthquakes and tsunamis in Asia. Canada takes the impact of the back end, along with a rain of debris that hits the rest of the continent. You basically have a series of simultaneous disasters in three regions that lead to death by starvation and other such causes.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not everything that passes through the atmosphere burns up on reentry. The space shuttle reenters earth atmosphere. Imagine hundreds or thousands of chunks of metal sturdier than the space shuttle falling through the atmosphere, on fire, and striking cities or fields and causing massive wildfires.

The colony drop in Destiny and Stargazer had some images of a destroyed colony still causing a lot of destruction.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

so i have a confession to make ive seen cca like six times in the past year and im still unclear: is the titular counter-attack against like society or something like that

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It's against amuro for being better than him when they were late teenagers/young adults

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

so i have a confession to make ive seen cca like six times in the past year and im still unclear: is the titular counter-attack against like society or something like that

It's the Second Neo Zeon War, after the Federation won the first one on a technicality. It's also Char's personal revenge for the betrayal and collapse of the AEUG and Karaba. So it's both Char's counterattack and a Neo Zeon counterattack that Char is leading.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

It's also Char's personal revenge for the betrayal and collapse of the AEUG and Karaba.

The what now? What betrayal? What collapse? They literally achieved their main goal (stop the Titans), and the remainder folded back in to Federation by choice. Also, I'm not sure how "one side of the conflict destroyed itself in a civil war" is a technicality. If it was, then Neo Zeon only won the Gryps War because of a technicality anyway. Never mind that Char didn't support that faction, and was explicitly disgusted by the actions and motivations of the leader of that faction so he'd have no reason to want them to win. Nor was he even pretending otherwise to his troops, because he calls her out as someone abusing his father's name during a speech to rally his troops.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

tsob posted:

The what now? What betrayal? What collapse? They literally achieved their main goal (stop the Titans), and the remainder folded back in to Federation by choice. Also, I'm not sure how "one side of the conflict destroyed itself in a civil war" is a technicality. If it was, then Neo Zeon only won the Gryps War because of a technicality anyway. Never mind that Char didn't support that faction, and was explicitly disgusted by the actions and motivations of the leader of that faction so he'd have no reason to want them to win. Nor was he even pretending otherwise to his troops, because he calls her out as someone abusing his father's name during a speech to rally his troops.

People keep forgetting that the AEUG is less of a rebel group and more of a political party in the Federation. The fact that its leader, Blex Forer, was invited to speak at the Federation assembly is a pretty clear indication that even being a separate group, they were still part of the Federation.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
He wasn't invited; he was a full on member. He attends at least two meetings of the Federation assembly during Zeta, with Char in tow as his assistant, sits in the assembly seating while there, rather than waiting off to the side or anything, speaks to Char about advancing legislation to move everyone remaining on Earth to space before one of those meetings (even though he thinks it'll fail; he still thinks it's worth doing) etc. Jamitov even acknowledges that Blex is known to be the AEUG leader, despite being a Federation assemblyman. AEUG are an extremist wing of the Federation politically, with a militant arm, but they're still definitely part of the Federation and they use Federation uniforms, Federation ships etc. because many of their founding members were former Federation soldiers and officers who defected due to disgust at the Titans. AEUG had secondary motives to push for Contolism, which Char supported as well as Blex (which was one of the reasons why Blex considered him the true leader of the AEUG; since he had a better connection to that secondary motive), but their main motivation was always to get rid of the Titans. poo poo, Char joins the AEUG by disguising himself as a defecting Federation soldier according to fluff.

They're basically like the IRA. Or at least, like the IRA was in Ireland until not too long ago (and maybe still are, depending on who you ask, I suppose). Everyone knew they were the political arm of a group of violent militants, and that their leader was connected to said militants but it didn't matter because they had enough public support, and maintained enough plausible deniability that they could function publicly and politically with relatively free reign regardless. It wasn't really worth the governments trouble to come down on them publicly either, due to that public support. Which is probably why Blex was assassinated in his hotel room, where no-one could see.

tsob fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 16, 2020

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Up the Yoog, Kathleen!

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
It's also worth pointing out that in Japanese "counterattack" and "strikes back" are the same word and that "Char Strikes Back" is literally just a Star Wars reference.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Goddamnit, second half ZZ, why'd you turn my goofy himbo boy Mashymre into a war criminal!?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

Goddamnit, second half ZZ, why'd you turn my goofy himbo boy Mashymre into a war criminal!?

Isn't everyone in Gundam a war criminal?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Technowolf posted:

Some considerably more than others.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I'm sorry but my 90s subs titled him as Mashyrmallow and I will not accept other readings of his name.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Darth Walrus posted:

Some considerably more than others.

I feel like there's room to argue whether Amuro killing that dude in a hospital is a war crime or not, since the dude did come after him. (I think it's been goddamn forever since I saw that.)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I dunno, is fraw bou a war criminal? I dont remember her doing poo poo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ninjewtsu posted:

I dunno, is fraw bou a war criminal? I dont remember her doing poo poo

Is it a war crime to knowingly bring children into an active combat zone or just reckless endangerment? Because then the whole white base crew would be culpable.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The children wanted to go with them though. The White Base cew could have left them at Jaburo, but they'd be bored and unhappy there, even if they were safe. Surely a 4 year old is capable of making such decisions?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

You could argue that Katz might be alive if he got off of White Base with the other civilians.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

tsob posted:

The children wanted to go with them though. The White Base cew could have left them at Jaburo, but they'd be bored and unhappy there, even if they were safe. Surely a 4 year old is capable of making such decisions?

Adults are the enemy. Once you're past five years old its all downhill.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

they need to build a giant haro to rule over the solar system

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Technowolf posted:

Carta Issue isn't!

She obsessively obeys the laws and customs of war in the Post Disaster era.

That's why she died.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Because there's no going back.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Let us ring a bell next to an empty grave for the most undersexed and confused Zeon soldier.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 17, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Just read through Kazuhisa Kondo's 1988 manga The Revival of Zeon which at the time of it's release was meant to cover part of the gap between ZZ and CCA and while it doesn't have a deep plot it definitely has some good action and of course Kondo's unique and excellent art and mecha designs

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Carta Issue isn't!

She obsessively obeys the laws and customs of war in the Post Disaster era.

That's why she died.

To be fair I’m honestly rather skeptical in retrospect that Carta fighting like a not-crazy incompetent person would have worked any better for her against Mika specifically, so I’m glad she stuck to her guns.

overlordbunny
Feb 16, 2011

I think her attacking Makanai's island was at least legally iffy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I can't recall; Was Carta's jurisdiction all of Earth, or just Earth Orbit with the fleet and she just went all "In hot pursuit :siren:" on Tekkadan?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I can't recall; Was Carta's jurisdiction all of Earth, or just Earth Orbit with the fleet and she just went all "In hot pursuit :siren:" on Tekkadan?

All Earth, if memory serves.

It's just that normally nobody gets that far because Rustal ganks them in lunar orbit, making Carta's fleet a joke. It's kind of like Bael, where there's a rule on the books, but it's been so long since it was relevant that pretty much nobody cares about it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, it was a legitimate use of her powers for the same reason that McGillis got dragged into that border war in S2. While there are local Gjallarhorn garrisons on Earth, the OERJF gets called in for particularly big messes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, it was a legitimate use of her powers for the same reason that McGillis got dragged into that border war in S2. While there are local Gjallarhorn garrisons on Earth, the OERJF gets called in for particularly big messes.

Also, judging from the dialogue in season 1, the local garrisons are supposed to stay out of Earth politics.

...Which is another part of Izanio being the worst person in Gjallarhorn. It's almost impressive, in a way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So apparently an 80's era ZZ book confirms a couple interesting things;

1) Glemy is in fact Gihren's kid, albeit a test tube baby

2) Elpeo Ple and her clone sisters are also Gihren's kids in the same manner, different donor mom though

Which I guess explains why one of the surviving Puru clones has taken up the Zabi name over on Mars in the most recent Advance of Zeta entry