Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

One thing we all have in common is that we think One Piece Kicks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Man, One Piece kicks rear end.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Wait I just remembered the real best OP OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ancwu_9KFTk

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i have no issue if people like text spoilers but posting them the day after the official release is a bit much lol. I'm not blaming posters who did that because its not their fault spoilers are out so early but just a bit wtf really

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yes.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Okay, so back during a past SBS, Oda acknowledged that Akainu's Magma fruit was basically an upgrade of Ace's Flare fruit, the same way Aokiji's Frost fruit was an upgrade of Monet's Cold fruit... so my question is: how are Giolla's Art fruit and Kanjuro's Paint fruit related? (Or is Kanjuro's simply a jutsu of some sort?)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Im not sure he meant upgrade so literally and probably just meant "it can do most everything the lesser fruit can and more/better". I don't think they're connected beyond that

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Kanjuro’s powers were described by Kinemon as being the same kind of Sorcery as his own power, which turned out to be a fruit. Otherwise I think Kinemon should’ve noticed something was up if it was a jutsu Kanjuro learned while they were on Wano.

Edit: vvv Yeah, what I got out of that is that the Magma power is hot enough to burn a Fire power user... And he got punched through the torso by a top marine.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 17, 2020

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oda said there was a hierarchy, not that theyre straight upgrades.
The magma fruit overwhelmed ace because magma 'outranks' fire and because Akainus a fuckin beast.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think they are though because it’s Machvise and and Miss Valentine have the exact same fruit but she can only go up to 10K KG and he can do 10K tonnes and then Oda brought up the others iirc

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

There are some straight upgrades like Machvise and Ms Valentine but the specific question was how did Akainu burn Ace and the answer was magma burns hotter than fire. Magma later being stated as a stronger fruit than fire in a hierarchical manner.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Well he got hole punched because he was protecting Luffy so he couldn't go goop mode to dodge it. I just put his initial owning by akainu down to being knackered from being imprisoned etc. before Oda weighed in in SBS

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Like, I know the point of Katakuri was to be superior to Luffy in every major combat category down to the devil fruit but even in One Piece I have trouble with the idea of Mochi > Rubber.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Desumaytah posted:

Like, I know the point of Katakuri was to be superior to Luffy in every major combat category down to the devil fruit but even in One Piece I have trouble with the idea of Mochi > Rubber.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

XkyRauh posted:

(Or is Kanjuro's simply a jutsu of some sort?)

We literally see the fruit Kanjuro eats.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Desumaytah posted:

Mochi tastes better

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Desumaytah posted:

Did it include the Devil Fruit? I just remember that Katakuri was basically stronger/faster than Luffy.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Awakening played a large part in the fruit differences too

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

EmmyOk posted:

I think they are though because it’s Machvise and and Miss Valentine have the exact same fruit but she can only go up to 10K KG and he can do 10K tonnes and then Oda brought up the others iirc

To be fair Miss Valentine can also use her fruit to lower her weight unlike Machvise. Machvise can minimum go 1 ton while she can go minimum 1 KG which is enough to float with some assistance.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Well his regular bodyweight also. And her floating was so she could land on people but ya.

Katakuri's fruit is the better version of Luffy's fruit imo but not like hierarchically. Rather it's a fruit that does its own thing that can emulate Luffy's rather than just a better version of gum gum

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
would enel beat katakuri though??

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

would enel beat katakuri though??

How's mochi at conducting electricity?

Also, this is a question I've always wondered, Armament haki seems to work at strengthening physical blunt force/taking physical blows, but does it give you any extra defense against things like fire/electricity/cold/etc.

LIke, if Ace had enough Armarment Haki, could he have just tanked Sakazuki's magma punch?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

How's mochi at conducting electricity?

Also, this is a question I've always wondered, Armament haki seems to work at strengthening physical blunt force/taking physical blows, but does it give you any extra defense against things like fire/electricity/cold/etc.

LIke, if Ace had enough Armarment Haki, could he have just tanked Sakazuki's magma punch?
Shanks' sword was able to block Sakazuki's attack, so probably. I very much doubt even Shanks could do it so easily without using haki.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i feel like ace coasted on his power's sheer strength and never had to master haki

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Nah Pekoms boxed the head off Caribou in Fishman Island making that same comment about Logia's and Ace being WB's second best boy indicates he had much more going on. BB also says when he cancelled Ace's ability he was impressed that he did so well without his abilities. Or perhaps Van Auger but either way

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

XkyRauh posted:

Okay, so back during a past SBS, Oda acknowledged that Akainu's Magma fruit was basically an upgrade of Ace's Flare fruit, the same way Aokiji's Frost fruit was an upgrade of Monet's Cold fruit... so my question is: how are Giolla's Art fruit and Kanjuro's Paint fruit related? (Or is Kanjuro's simply a jutsu of some sort?)

All of the talk of Jutsu in Wano is just because they're so sheltered off that they have no idea what Devil Fruits even are. It's what makes me like the fact almost all of the fruit users on Wano are Zoan types. You can imagine the country genuinely believing Kaido just so happens to be a dragon that can transform because he's some kind of youkai or whatnot. It feels like back in East Blue when everyone was so shocked to see Luffy had a fruit, and now there isn't a location in the Grand Line that doesn't have at least one Fruit user.

Speaking of Wano fruit users, I don't know if anyone else has outright said so, but Raizo I guess has a devil fruit? He referred to the move he used on Kaido as "Maki Maki Jutsu," so I guess he has a scroll devil fruit power.

Does that mean all his Ninja tricks were just because he has a fruit? It'll break my heart.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Does that mean all his Ninja tricks were just because he has a fruit? It'll break my heart.
I mean One Piece is no stranger to unusual abilities that have no real explanation and are explicitly NOT Devil Fruit powers. I'd be surprised if Oda didn't decide that Ninjutsu is just canon now.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Maki Maki implies it’s a fruit for sure but not confirmed. Though I think it’s just cover his scroll move not all of them

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Does anyone else think Apoo is gross to look at. I think the black keys in his teeth make them look rotten and it just makes me disgusted to look at

EmmyOk posted:

Nah Pekoms boxed the head off Caribou in Fishman Island making that same comment about Logia's and Ace being WB's second best boy indicates he had much more going on. BB also says when he cancelled Ace's ability he was impressed that he did so well without his abilities. Or perhaps Van Auger but either way

Ace also beat the crap out of luffy on the reg, even when luffy was powered

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 18, 2020

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I mean if he was a real life character, then yes, but he works in oda's cartoonish artstyle for me.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Julias posted:

I mean if he was a real life character, then yes, but he works in oda's cartoonish artstyle for me.

I can look at any gross monster people draw and think "Wow cool!" but this cartoony key tooth guy is what turns my stomach, lol.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The black keys register more like braces to me, even though that barely makes sense.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dr Subterfuge posted:

The black keys register more like braces to me, even though that barely makes sense.

:same:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Yeah that's how I see it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Meme Emulator posted:

Does anyone else think Apoo is gross to look at. I think the black keys in his teeth make them look rotten and it just makes me disgusted to look at

Ace also beat the crap out of luffy on the reg, even when luffy was powered

I think Apoo looks really cool and is a great character, and also his teeth are nice and good.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I think Apoo looks really cool and is a great character, and also his teeth are nice and good.

But does he post gifs of black women and make petty racists angry?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
apoo is a pirate, he probably actually has black/rotting teeth because if toothpaste is invented it's probably kept for the exclusive use of world nobles

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I hope every chapter has 3 panels of Apoo getting back up to fight and getting stomped into the dirt again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Mister Olympus posted:

apoo is a pirate, he probably actually has black/rotting teeth because if toothpaste is invented it's probably kept for the exclusive use of world nobles

Look at this fake One Piece fan.