Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Like Basebf555 said everything about Star Wars in recent memory had been centered on reactionary defensiveness to the perceived flaws of whatever the most recent thing was, and as soon as Mandalorian became the tentpole hit for Disney+ it was doomed to fall into that same trap.

Luke showing up was 100% meant to placate the "Not My Luke" people even though you could've shoved literally any Force user in there and gotten to the same place plot wise. I don't actually mind it because I am on record as someone who thinks TLJ Luke was one of the best things about the sequels so I can see plenty of continuity between old, demoralized Luke and flashy Jedi hero Luke but given that they learned nothing from the failures of the sequels I can't imagine this sort of thing bodes well for the slate of content to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It's an evil clone of Luke which is why Blurghguh is so unsure of him. He immediately bonded with Ahsoka.

One thing I appreciated with the episode was that the Imperial shuttle was designated Lambda 364 or something. The crappy ships you had to scan in Tie-Fighter were always Lambda-something. :v:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Good old Luke "I literally learned nothing at all, not even for a brief moment, from my journey in the original movies" Skywalker saves the day through cool lightsaber violence action.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

lol Luke gets Grogu killed by Kylo.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Where does The Mandalorian take place on the timeline again?

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
A lot of fun haters itt.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Larryb posted:

Where does The Mandalorian take place on the timeline again?

5 years after Return of the Jedi.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Luke, taking after his mother, realizes that the system is broken and succeeds by doing something completely outside of it. But also like Padme, he's immediately placated by "oh well the nice people will be in charge now, the system does work!" and goes to recreate the same failures all over again. Like poetry.

e: Then they both decide to kill themselves to get out of the cycles, but Luke, now trapped in hell, is not allowed to be free.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mat Cauthon posted:

Luke showing up was 100% meant to placate the "Not My Luke" people even though you could've shoved literally any Force user in there and gotten to the same place plot wise.

Any other Jedi (except Ahsoka) would have had the audience and characters asking who the gently caress they were.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Any other Jedi (except Ahsoka) would have had the audience and characters asking who the gently caress they were.

If Darth Maul survived then there's no excuse for not bringing back my man Kit Fisto

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, exactly. No show has ever introduced brand new characters before.

lol

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Why make something new

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shiroc posted:

Good old Luke "I literally learned nothing at all, not even for a brief moment, from my journey in the original movies" Skywalker saves the day through cool lightsaber violence action.

Jedi use violence all the drat time lmao.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

teagone posted:

Yeah, exactly. No show has ever introduced brand new characters before.

lol
My point was that using Cal or Kyle or Erza or Noo Karakta would have been very different to using Luke, not that Luke was literally the only option.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

CelticPredator posted:

Jedi use violence all the drat time lmao.

yeah but Luke's great victory in Return of the Jedi was rejecting violence. I'm mostly disappointed to never get to have see what Lucas' version of 7-9 would have been because I just feel like Lucas' old Luke would have been something more interesting.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He didn’t reject violence. He rejected hate.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

PriorMarcus posted:

Whose the lady in the back?

Left to Right it's

Ahsoka Tano
Padme Amidala
Hera Syndulla
Rey
Leia Oragana
Sabine Wren
Ketsu Onyo
Jyn Erso

The series is Star Wars: Forces of Destiny

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Luke rejects violence, then immediately regrets his decision and has to beg his dad to use violence to save him from electric hands man

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Basebf555 posted:

It doesn't have to literally be Sheev himself, but I'm pretty confident that any new Star Wars films are gonna have some sort of contrived tie-in to Sheev's future plans and/or the birth of Anakin, regardless of now far in the past they're set.

There's a good chance that Gideon was working on one of Sheev's plots.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Shiroc posted:

https://twitter.com/Santosh_cool/status/1340031080842186752
https://twitter.com/ActionJaxxon84/status/1340009887988817920
lightsaber op pls nerf

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Again, I don’t think Luke showing up is the problem, I think like showing up to save the day is. Why not just give the show’s hero’s the win, then tie off Grogu’s plot line after?

Answer “haha lightsaber goes vrummmummmmm”

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Boxman posted:

Again, I don’t think Luke showing up is the problem, I think like showing up to save the day is. Why not just give the show’s hero’s the win, then tie off Grogu’s plot line after?

Answer “haha lightsaber goes vrummmummmmm”

Din had already basically saved the day at that point, though. He beat one Darktrooper, spaced the rest, and defeated Gideon. And the rest of the team had taken the bridge. They won. The show only brought all those Darktroopers back as a last minute hurdle just to have something for Luke to fight.

Like, if the Darktroopers hadn't shown back up, and Luke had just shown up then and taken Grogu, the scene wouldn't have been much different. We just wouldn't have had the scene of Luke slicing through the Darktroopers. Story wise, it's no different, it's just a gratuitous action scene. How you feel about that is a different discussion, I guess. But our heroes got the win of the episode.

My problem was that Luke looked like an empty husk of a man. He had no heart, no soul. And that's a big problem for a character defined by that. There was no way to connect with...whatever the hell that thing was that looked like Luke.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

thrawn527 posted:

My problem was that Luke looked like an empty husk of a man. He had no heart, no soul. And that's a big problem for a character defined by that. There was no way to connect with...whatever the hell that thing was that looked like Luke.

Ironically, that's exactly what people complained about in The Last Jedi.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

SolarFire2 posted:

Ironically, that's exactly what people complained about in The Last Jedi.

Looking back at what I wrote, lol, yeah, I see that. But you know what I mean.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

It took a while for the dark troopers to reboard the ship after getting vented.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Yikes this is bad.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Reminder that droids are people, so Luke is being sadistic as hell there. It's very strange.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Basebf555 posted:

Reminder that droids are people, so Luke is being sadistic as hell there. It's very strange.

Skywalker blood is prone to overdoing it.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
The more I think about it, the more that Mando finale (and this season) pisses me off.

I loved season one, and there were 2 episodes this season (the Frog Lady & Bill Burr one) that opened the galaxy to more adventurous possibilities again; but with every single one of those moments comes some nonsense like Boba Fett being around and throwing him around like some Gen X-er's action figure instead of anything meaningful to his own story/the larger picture at hand, Ahsoka showing up for her "I can't take him" moment because gently caress you this is an ad for my own TV show, continuing to make Empire forces/Stormtroopers dumb as tenselessness poo poo just because it's the status quo and they have to beat the horse's corpse to paste, and LUKE SKYWALKER COMING THE gently caress OUT OF NOWHERE just because they either A). Wrote themselves into a corner and took the easy way out or B). See that TLJ whining is still alive and well and felt compelled to make those said complaining dude-bros shut the gently caress up by inversely having them add fuel to the fire by screaming The Mandalorian fixes TLJ by FINALLY giving us a scene where Luke loving slaughters guys like a loving BADASS loving JEDI WARRIOR, DUDE. That's what being a Jedi is all about : loving CUTTING GUYS UP. Crushing a motherfucker with the force. Absolutely tearing through platoons of guys and then wading through a knee deep slurry of their viscera, as laid out in the Sacred Jedi Texts. I never got that Darth Vader was supposed to be a scary guy in the OT until Rogue One showed me that he could actually loving BLAST SEVERAL DUDES IN A HALLWAY, and now Disney has done the same for Luke. Star Wars is in safe hands. This is the same poo poo as Ghost Luke catching the saber in TROS being like "A Jedi's weapon should be treated with respect れ゚ぃ." It's transparent what they're doing (or being lazy fucks in trying not to do) and I can see right through that poo poo. And in turn, it completely cheapens the relationship between the two main characters of the goddamn show because what is supposed to be their emotional separation is dampened by Space Jesus. I LOVE Luke, Luke is that king poo poo, but I'm not gonna pretend to cum my pants over an asspull of legendary proportions.

I hope Season 3 and that Ahsoka and New Republic show prove me wrong (gently caress that Book of Boba Fett Yogurt "moichendising"-rear end poo poo), but as of Friday they're falling into the same trap of succumbing to JJ-isms & memberberries again.

*snort*

Cocaine is bad, kids.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

It’s really OK to murder stormtrooper droids.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I saw Rise of Skywalker last night for the first time. Somehow hadn’t been spoiled. Movie was dogshit. Review over.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I still haven't watched Mandalorian, because lol, but it's starting to sound like 50% poo poo and 50% a way more interesting version of Disney's 'pretend Episode 6 never happened' sequels.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

It’s 100% awesome and fun and 100% Star Wars so maybe it’s not for you.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Boba fetts alive and luke skywalker is still doing that evil guard choking stuff.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Those were Fascist Droids so it was a-ok to slice and dice em'.

In fact this season really went out of it's way to go against the whole "Just doing my job" and "We made the trains run on time" portrayal of the Empire that gets so popular in the EU both old and new. Every Imperial who gets speaking lines is completely irredeemable and makes it clear that the institution has no worth. Even Bill Burr's character who is a "bad guy" deserted because he couldn't support all the genocides and stuff, and murdered his superior officer to boot.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Since it's third generation Dark Troopers I'd guess they're pretty much just a brain in a can but there's no humanity left like with Robocop. They're less human than even the crappy droids from the prequels. I say it's ok for Luke to snuff them out and put them out of their misery. He's actually mercy killing and that's not against the Jedi code.

E: Frankly the only thing that irritates me so far is Baby Yoda getting such a stupid and unmemorable name. It's something like like Gnirrgnurr? Yaddle is a better name.

Lodin fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 19, 2020

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Basebf555 posted:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Shiroc posted:

yeah but Luke's great victory in Return of the Jedi was rejecting violence. I'm mostly disappointed to never get to have see what Lucas' version of 7-9 would have been because I just feel like Lucas' old Luke would have been something more interesting.

It was rejecting revenge and anger. It was not violence itself that was the problem. If He killed his dad or the palp in that moment would have not been good , but he wasn’t turning himself into a freaking pacifist when it was done. End of Jedi he still had his lightsaber. It was a philosophical battle against palp that he won, and he was gambling that Vader would save him through the power of love and gravity.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 19, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

galagazombie posted:

Those were Fascist Droids so it was a-ok to slice and dice em'.

I wasn't reacting to the slicing and dicing as much as the slow crushing that he does to the one at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

It’s 100% awesome and fun and 100% Star Wars so maybe it’s not for you.

The first season is good, if not the greatest quality. The second season does everything a little bit bigger and better as befitting a breakout hit but also is straining under the burden of now being the spinoff/nostalgia vehicle that the sequels were meant to be but botched. Probably safe to assume that they will gently caress this up too if that trend continues.

The criticisms are less about the show itself, which can be dreadfully uneven but is otherwise very entertaining and trying to tell a story that isn't just more Skywalker/Sith stuff (or at least it wasn't before), and more about the nature of the people behind Star Wars refusing to learn anything and just throwing the same poo poo at the wall over and over. It's worth checking out though.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 19, 2020