Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

What do you mean by “throwing the same poo poo at the wall, over and over”. Please describe in detail.
:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I agree Luke showing up was a crappy way to end the mandalorian, but the way he acted there was consistent with The Last Jedi, where he described himself during the mandalorian time period as having bought into the hero Jedi who could do no wrong identity.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Do something new and different that's (somewhat) poorly received (i.e. TLJ)? Uh oh, better turn up the dial on that nostalgia and shoehorn a bunch of poo poo in here that we think people will like enough to hook them on some spinoffs.

Do something new and different that's well received (i.e Mandalorian)? Uh oh, better turn up the dial on that nostalgia and shoehorn a bunch of poo poo in here that we think people will like enough to hook them on some spinoffs.

YMMV and as I've said, I like the show. I think they probably could've done a less hamfisted job of making it the tentpole for the various other SW stuff in develop but overall it wasn't ruinous as far as making the show unwatchable. I just think it demonstrates a continuation of poor decision-making behind the scenes and that bodes ill.

Happy to be proven wrong though.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
There was nothing wrong with Luke showing up or doing what he did. The problem was him being a Deepfake abomination way worse than Tarkin ever was. It was super distracting in ways besides how he looked like someone holding a paper cut-out Luke mask over their face. His scene with the cast was shot in this weird way where it seemed like he wasn't even in the same room with them, and his lines were all muffled and spoken in a way like they were recorded without knowing what the final script would be.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The TlJ is fine. But it’s either over hyped by people as far as I can tell who don’t like most of Star Wars (usually film snobs with liberal arts degrees who are very anti violence solves anything, which of course historically is not accurate) or overall hated by cringe lords who did want Luke to beat Snoke in an epic duel and show Ray what was up and make her cooler.

The great Flawn all of this is that Luke could have been a bad rear end in the sequel trilogy and still came to the same conclusion as his character in the last Jedi, and I think overall that would’ve held up better.

In that sense, the end of Mando gave the fans what they wanted, while still allowing the last Jedi to be what it was.

Of course fan service is so often brought up when it comes to Star Wars but Marvel is almost always given a free pass for this, which has always struck me as odd. I think it might be the newness of the marvel films? We’re still at about Jedi in terms of how long marvel stuff has been out (film tv wise).

What’s really funny if you think about it, is that the sequel trilogy has the backbone of a decent story. But there’s no through line for each film. A little more set up from one film to the next would’ve made the whole story much stronger and would’ve taken away a lot of the hate.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Yeah, honestly it’s the voice direction that weirds me out with Luke more than the face (which I thought looked worse than Tarkin but better than Leia).

Crushing the last droid seemed like the wrong note to hit, but everything else about Luke in action seemed fine to me.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

I just think it demonstrates a continuation of poor decision-making behind the scenes and that bodes ill.

What poor decisions? The only one I can think of is that Gina Carano still has a job as far as we know. The show is a massive success that’s driving subscribers to Disney+ and all the other networks are desperately trying to copy it like all the Star Trek stuff. It was always going to expand into spin-offs and new shows because Disney needs you watching this stuff all year long instead of just subscribing in October and canceling December. If only half those shows are as good as Mando, it’ll be worth it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Zoran posted:

Crushing the last droid seemed like the wrong note to hit, but everything else about Luke in action seemed fine to me.

A little in isolation, but as an homage/reference to the Vader Rogue One scene it's great.

People tending to forget just how much of all Star Wars is homages to other things.

e: and if it was a pointless callback that would be bad, but the whole point of that sequence is to telegraph how powerful Luke is, so mirroring the same sequence that Vader had just adds a little something to something that could have been random.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 19, 2020

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Cartoon Man posted:

What poor decisions? The show is a massive success that’s driving subscribers to Disney+

People don't care about how much dollarsign dollarsign dollarsign Disney is making. They're talking about the narrative.

In this particular case, I'm talking about how the 'sequel trilogy' (despite being set 50 years later or whatever) returns everything to the status quo of Episodes 4 and 5 while treating Episode 6 as a fairly unimportant and skippable.

The question is what Mandalorian is saying as a sequel to Return Of The Jedi - or even if it is a sequel at all.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Alchenar posted:

A little in isolation, but as an homage/reference to the Vader Rogue One scene it's great.

People tending to forget just how much of all Star Wars is homages to other things.

e: and if it was a pointless callback that would be bad, but the whole point of that sequence is to telegraph how powerful Luke is, so mirroring the same sequence that Vader had just adds a little something to something that could have been random.

I think it would have worked better to conclude the action with a counterpoint to Vader's extreme violence. Vader's hallway scene was about his sheer menace and his will to crush anything before him; Luke as a full Jedi ought to be equally scary for his skill and power, but I think he shouldn’t be doing anything gratuitous.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

Basebf555 posted:

I wasn't reacting to the slicing and dicing as much as the slow crushing that he does to the one at the end.

That seemed like a practical effects gaffe to me. Like the vacuum that crushes the droid carapace didn’t react as fast as expected so they kinda had to linger on that shot for a beat or two longer than it was supposed to go so that their expensive droid model destruction shot wasn’t completely ruined.

Maybe it was supposed to be a quick demonstration of his Force powers but it wound up looking like a bit of reveling in in the pain of others.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Zoran posted:

I think it would have worked better to conclude the action with a counterpoint to Vader's extreme violence. Vader's hallway scene was about his sheer menace and his will to crush anything before him; Luke as a full Jedi ought to be equally scary for his skill and power, but I think he shouldn’t be doing anything gratuitous.

It's very convenient that he's slicing through evil terminators and not people screaming for help

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Alchenar posted:

It's very convenient that he's slicing through evil terminators and not people screaming for help

I'm not trying to restart the Droid personhood argument but not all droids are programmed the same. They made it pretty clear that the removal of anything that could be considered "human" was removed from the Darktroopers, and they're expressly act/are animated differently than other droids whether they be CG, costume, or Roomba . Even Threepio at his most jerky never moves as robotic and "pre-scripted" as the Dark Troopers.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

galagazombie posted:

I'm not trying to restart the Droid personhood argument but not all droids are programmed the same. They made it pretty clear that the removal of anything that could be considered "human" was removed from the Darktroopers, and they're expressly act/are animated differently than other droids whether they be CG, costume, or Roomba .
It sounds like you're saying Darktroopers should only count as 3/5 a human Stormtrooper.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I change my mind having seen the footage, Disney having both Luke and Vader have functionally the exact same moment of "Lightsaber wielding defender of the New Order marauds through hold outs to the old system" except Luke's is good because he's a liberal is a perfect summation of the ideologically trash Disney Star Wars.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Alchenar posted:

Right, Star Wars used to be homages to all kinds if things. Now Star Wars is mostly homages to Star Wars.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

galagazombie posted:

I'm not trying to restart the Droid personhood argument but not all droids are programmed the same. They made it pretty clear that the removal of anything that could be considered "human" was removed from the Darktroopers, and they're expressly act/are animated differently than other droids whether they be CG, costume, or Roomba . Even Threepio at his most jerky never moves as robotic and "pre-scripted" as the Dark Troopers.

none of the droids are programmed at all. none of it is real. they are the way the narrative requires them to be, which in this case is working backwards from 'definitely not creating the impression that Luke killed something with a personality'.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
darktroopers should be droids that have the exact same color scheme and face as stormtroopers, instead of whatever it is that they look like

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.wsj.com/articles/star-wars-novelists-seek-years-of-missing-royalty-payments-from-disney-11608393600

Here’s a thing.

I wish them luck, Disney lawyers are Legion...

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I dont watch the show but luke in his ROTJ outfit just seems so lazy and cynical. Reminds me of all the book covers and video games in the 90s

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Basebf555 posted:

Reminder that droids are people, so Luke is being sadistic as hell there. It's very strange.
Stormtroopers are not people, therefore neither are stormtrooper droids

Ingmar terdman posted:

I dont watch the show but luke in his ROTJ outfit just seems so lazy and cynical. Reminds me of all the book covers and video games in the 90s
Reminds me of Splinter of the Mind's Eye
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNss5RWD6mY

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 20, 2020

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Shiroc posted:

I change my mind having seen the footage, Disney having both Luke and Vader have functionally the exact same moment of "Lightsaber wielding defender of the New Order marauds through hold outs to the old system" except Luke's is good because he's a liberal is a perfect summation of the ideologically trash Disney Star Wars.

Killing Nazis is just as bad as killing Antifa!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

The main preoccupation of all star wars chat is determining precisely which humanlike beings don't rise to a sufficient level of humanity and can safely be enslaved and/or vaporized

Truly I've already made a star wars post for every occasion

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Are the Whills people?

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I wasn't bothered by the Dark Troopers slaughter as much as I was by how much all the storm troopers on that ship just wanted to die.

"Armed people invading our ship? Not going to shoot at them from behind cover, I'm going to run at them like my gun is a melee weapon. The dude in front of me got shot? Not diving behind cover, full speed ahea-"BLAST.

The fight choreography was bad is what I'm saying.

And I so thought we were never going to see Luke's face, because if the feature films can't get the deep fakes right, a tv show sure can't. He'll just keep the hood up and use Mark Hamill's voice, oh no wait, he's showing his face, this is a disaster. lol.

Mandalorian is such a weird show sometimes. In the bill burr Sorcerer homage episode I thought it was so strange we never came back to those pirates mando killed. They weren't stealing the fuel, just blowing it up. They seemed pretty anti-imperial, and sure our heroes had to blend in, but no regret later at murderising those dudes under imperial rule.

But I am heartened by the thought that baby yoda is going to get murdered by kylo ren at some point in the future.

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS
maybe Grogu actually becomes a Knight of Ren, you don't know

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

CelticPredator posted:

It’s really OK to murder stormtrooper droids. slave soldiers

It may be necessary under certain circumstances but it's definitely not entirely ok

If Luke had done something during his life about droid slavery then it'd be closer to neutral

But alas

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

garycoleisgod posted:

The fight choreography was bad is what I'm saying.

This has been one of my biggest issues with the series. The effects are generally pretty good and the look and feel of everything is great, but the majority of the actual fights (Which obviously make up a big part of the series) are pretty bleh.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

garycoleisgod posted:

But I am heartened by the thought that baby yoda is going to get murdered by kylo ren at some point in the future.

Yodito is too lucrative for them to kill off, both in term of merchandise and connective tissue should they ever decide to pick up the sequel narrative again.

It's way too easy to foresee Disney contriving some way for him to survive (actually he was off-planet with his adoptive dad when the massacre went down and Luke just didn't send a note!) and then in 5-7 years they offer Daisy Ridley enough money for her to come back and do a limited series where Yodito shows up to train her, there's some sort of adventure to close the loop, blah blah blah.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Acebuckeye13 posted:

This has been one of my biggest issues with the series. The effects are generally pretty good and the look and feel of everything is great, but the majority of the actual fights (Which obviously make up a big part of the series) are pretty bleh.

The difference between this episode's shootouts and the episode directed by Robert Rodriguez is pretty staggering.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The Dark Troopers are not people. They're fascists. It's unethical to spare their lives.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Luke should have fought the Dark Troopers like this

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Those first two are fist of the northstar silly but that move where he pulls out all the bolts in the third gif is slick as hell.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ruddiger posted:

Those first two are fist of the northstar silly but that move where he pulls out all the bolts in the third gif is slick as hell.

The entire scene is great

https://youtu.be/cF3ocZu4cZo

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I liked the samurai jack version better

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I like the interpretation that the whole scene is in the imagination of the kid at the start and end of the short.

The Dark Troopers struck me as meant to be terrifying even by droid standards. Actually, one thing I like that Mando plays up is that there's very different kinds of droids- they move, act and speak differently, with very different animation and choreography. The IGs are different from the HKs are different from the Dark Troopers, even though they're all made for the same purpose.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Ingmar terdman posted:

I dont watch the show but luke in his ROTJ outfit just seems so lazy and cynical.
I agree.

Luke's ROTJ outfit was to show him leaning into the Dark Side. Six years after rejecting that, I would think he'd moved past that.

I can't help but to think if Lucas directed this, there's be no mention or sight of ship that landed and we would see the footage showing a Jedi wearing a brown cloak and brown and tan outfit looking more like someone in the prequels. It would be a great misdirection to suggest that... Did Qui Gon come back to life? Before the reveal.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

This episode had fantastic fight choreography. The storm troopers acted like idiots but Luke and the dark saber battle were very well done.

The dude complaining above clearly doesn’t like Star Wars very much.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

LionArcher posted:

The dude complaining above clearly doesn’t like Star Wars very much.

Can people stop loving saying poo poo like this. Stop saying people aren't fans of this if you dislike something. We don't have to accept every goddamn thing to be a fan.

gently caress off already. Joke or not. It's annoying as poo poo and just makes people feel like they arent welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There are heroes on both sides.