Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Canelo is pretty gassed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jiro posted:

Canelo is pretty gassed.

His hands for sure aren't.

I think Smith's gonna try and go for broke and probably eat a KD in these last few rounds.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Jiro posted:

Canelo is pretty gassed.

What fight are you watching?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Yeah canelo looks like a machine

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

this steve dude really sucks at boxing commentary.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
RIP Callum

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Yeah canelo looks like a machine

Callum isn't even taking risks right now

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I feel like Smith had to take some dangerous punches in the tenth (and counter) ... And didn't do that... Gg.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

What fight are you watching?

I think it's mainly, for me, noticing that he's only walking forward almost plodding not being more bouncy on his feet. His punches are smacking like bricks.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

MoaM posted:

I feel like Smith had to take some dangerous punches in the tenth (and counter) ... And didn't do that... Gg.

I can respect trying to avoid getting a concussion.

Canelo just walked him to the ropes and said "hey I'm gonna hit you with a baseball bat, okay?"

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Canelo looked loving incredible.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Canelo just dominated a guy 8 inches taller than him, insane.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Dias posted:

I can respect trying to avoid getting a concussion.

Canelo just walked him to the ropes and said "hey I'm gonna hit you with a baseball bat, okay?"

Exactly

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Mr. F! posted:

Canelo just dominated a guy 8 inches taller than him, insane.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Canelo looked really good. Callum Smith looked terrible.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Canelo looked loving incredible.

He looked like he could have done another 12 rounds easy

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

P4P #1

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

canelo talking heavy poo poo on ggg. saying he moves up in weight class and doesn't stay comfortable fighting nobody.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

KidDynamite posted:

Canelo looked really good. Callum Smith looked terrible.

Yup.

I rated Smith but drat. A guy with a 7-8 inch height advantage, who could probably be fighting at cruiserweight, did not try to establish his jab at all, did not try to impose his size at all, just didn't seem to have a game plan whatsoever. Bizarre performance.

Tough guy, but this confirms what the Ryder fight initially exposed in Callum Smith. Sounds like he's moving up to 175, I doubt he'll see the same success there that he had at super middleweight. He's not at Bivol's or Beterbiev's level.

Will be interesting to see where Canelo goes from here. He says he wants to unify super middleweight. 168 is bereft of other superstars; the other champs are Caleb Plant and Billy Joe Saunders, who are slick boxers and may be able to give Canelo problems, but honestly it's hard for me to see guys with such a low profile be given the benefit of the doubt on the cards against someone like Canelo.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Realistically the only hopes for an entertaining Canelo fight in the near future are a drugged up GGG or fat David Benavidez just charging at Canelo all fight trying to catch him with something crazy.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Will be interesting to see where Canelo goes from here. He says he wants to unify super middleweight. 168 is bereft of other superstars; the other champs are Caleb Plant and Billy Joe Saunders, who are slick boxers and may be able to give Canelo problems, but honestly it's hard for me to see guys with such a low profile be given the benefit of the doubt on the cards against someone like Canelo.

Canelo is better than the average right now.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
On one hand I kinda want Canelo-GGG 3, on the other hand I don't wanna see GGG actually lose clean because of Father Time.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Dias posted:

On one hand I kinda want Canelo-GGG 3, on the other hand I don't wanna see GGG actually lose clean because of Father Time.

Canelo/GGG 3 at this point would probably be an ugly loss for Golovkin. He's almost 40 and the fight would have to occur at 168. I hope it doesn't happen.

Sucks, because GGG clearly won their first fight, and deserved no less than a draw in their second fight.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

yeah unless GGG is juiced to the gills i don't want to see him fight Canelo. even then he probably takes an l.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jump King posted:

Anyway, here's my list at the moment:
  • Canelo
  • Inoue
  • Crawford
  • Usyk
  • Spence
  • Lopez
  • Lomachenko
  • Golovkin
  • Estrada
  • Beterbiev

Here's where my list was before, I said it was necessary to wait until the end of the year to really see where we're at and we're here now. My list is mostly the same with two changes. I moved Golovkin up a bit because he looked great in his can crush, good for him. Everybody else looked about as good as I thought they would be. I took Beterbiev out of his spot because he's not going to be in any relevant fights for a while. I was pretty much preparing myself to replace him with Berchelt if Berchelt did well in the Valdez fight, but that fight was canceled. I thought about Josh Taylor, but that's mostly because I'm anticipating him beating Ramirez, so I'll wait until that actually happens. In the mean time, I remembered that Charlo has been overlooked a lot on the P4P lists for an undefeated two weight champion coming off his career best win, so here's my list as it stands now:

• Canelo
  • Inoue
  • Crawford
  • Usyk
  • Spence
  • Lopez
  • Golovkin
  • Lomachenko
  • Estrada
  • Charlo, Jermall

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Apparently Smith tore his bicep pretty early in the fight

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1340539269039972352

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/DAZNBoxing/status/1340470955458637826?s=20

ah hell yeah

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

So apparently this fight ends with the ref and opposing fighter get barfed on. Anyone ever seen anything like this before?

https://youtu.be/Wo9b-OsqyPk

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I had a Mexican friend over and while watching the Canelo fight, and he talked about how much he HATED Oscar De Le Hoya.

The main reasons being that he beat Julio Cesar Chavez badly and that De Le Hoya isn't "for the Mexican people".

Apparently these are common viewpoints?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I had a Mexican friend over and while watching the Canelo fight, and he talked about how much he HATED Oscar De Le Hoya.

The main reasons being that he beat Julio Cesar Chavez badly and that De Le Hoya isn't "for the Mexican people".

yeah, i don’t want to speak on it too much because i’m not mexican but there’s a perception that i’ve seen that oscar de la hoya is a boxer from mexico rather than a Mexican Boxer; some of it is dumb ideas about machismo but other stuff (boxing for the us in the olympics, beating the poo poo out of jcc, rape allegation in mexico, donating to l.a. charter schools instead of giving back to mexico, etc.)

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

To expand further, De La Hoya's fair skin also netted him detractors, he lived the good life in America, which drew grumbles of abandonment. I think there was a SI or Deadspin article about it, De La Joya always trying to get the love of Mexico through his bouts but it never really being returned, and also touching on JCC and his own image.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

My friend was especially mad about JCC. I don't understand why it was such a big deal that De La Hoya best someone in a fight. It's a competition.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I'm pretty sure this is the article

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2640463-civil-war-chavez-de-la-hoya-and-the-latino-worlds-great-divide-20-years-later

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

My friend was especially mad about JCC. I don't understand why it was such a big deal that De La Hoya best someone in a fight. It's a competition.

when it comes to capital L Legends people get very touchy; larry holmes is still basically a pariah for wrecking ali

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Jiro posted:

To expand further, De La Hoya's fair skin also netted him detractors

Canelo is like the whitest dude I've seen.

Interesting article.

Declan MacManus posted:

when it comes to capital L Legends people get very touchy; larry holmes is still basically a pariah for wrecking ali

Wasn't that the fight where Ali got beat up due to being way passed his prime?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Canelo is like the whitest dude I've seen.

Interesting article.

Wasn't that the fight where Ali got beat up due to being way passed his prime?

yeah; there was some other stuff at play (bunch of medication being used incorrectly and a weird training camp meant that ali wasn't even close to fighting shape) but that's also what essentially happened to chavez (old and lots of nagging injuries along with scheduling about 5 bouts a year even in his late 30s)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
wait wait i was out of the loop

Lomachenko LOST?! The gently caress happened?!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Lid posted:

wait wait i was out of the loop

Lomachenko LOST?! The gently caress happened?!

lulled his opponent into complacency by throwing the first 12 rounds

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Top 5 fights possible for 2021:

1. Tyson Fury vs Anthony Joshua
2. Terence Crawford vs Errol Spence
3. Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin 3 (unfortunately)
4. Josh Taylor vs Jose Carlos Ramirez
5. Dmitry Bivol vs Artur Beterbiev

Honourable Mention: Jermall Charlo vs Demetrius Andrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

What about Fury vs Wilder 3?