Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
yanagi is a great villain because motobe and shibukawa both have big personal reasons to get involved then yujiro rocks up and slaps him into a climbing frame and he dies

only sort of related but i wish the first Tough series would get finished translating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The exchange in the hotel with Yujiro and Sikorsky is one of my favorite parts of the convicts arc.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Yujiro’s defeat at the hands of Mohammed Ali Jr was awesome, but I still often wonder about how he got away. He would have had to teleport down a few floors and a city block away once he left the room. Yujiro is not only superhumanly fast, but you know he’s gotta have mastered some technique for quickly getting up from a reclining position, based on some pseudoscientific urban legend that would have taken at least a page to explain, and it would have left onlookers gasping in awe and recounting it later.

Anyway, looks like there has been a couple more of these since the link was last posted:
https://mangadex.org/chapter/1086869/1

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 4, 2020

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Katsumi really has become Liquid Retsu

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Lol it finally happened

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I loving love Baki

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So this is a weird question but I'm curious if Olivia is a racist character or not because I can't think of many major black anime/manga characters

I'm rewatching the Baki anime rn

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
The only racist thing with Oliva I can think of is the old black guy into fat white women stereotype

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Eustace posted:

The only racist thing with Oliva I can think of is the old black guy into fat white women stereotype

And because he’s a massive man, of course the fat white woman he loves is the size of an Alaskan King bed.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Jose posted:

So this is a weird question but I'm curious if Olivia is a racist character or not because I can't think of many major black anime/manga characters

I'm rewatching the Baki anime rn

He's based on a real person who's build is almost as ridiculous as Oliva's. Sergio Oliva, a cuban american body builder

Oliva even has the same mustache

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Since I've got a lot of spare time right now, I picked this up and starting with Grappler Baki. Already read the first 100 chapters or so and it kicks an unbelievable amount of rear end. I can only wonder what kind of crazy poo poo is coming once I get to the rest of the series.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

If you remove yujiro and Baki how do you rank the other fighters? Maybe jack too?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Musashi > Pickle > Sukune > Olivia > Others

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Sukune is a real wildcard and hard to gauge just how strong he is. The way he destroyed Oliva would suggest he's top 3 strongest in the Baki setting since Oliva himself was up there before

Musashi is also a weird one because they certainly make it seem like he's capable of just outright killing anyone, perhaps even Yujiro, but then he gets defeated by that weapons master guy that I can't remember the name of

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Where does Gaia stack up? Cuz I always got the vibe that he was at least top 5.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Where does Gaia stack up? Cuz I always got the vibe that he was at least top 5.

I always ranked him with Motobe. Strong fighter, but reliant on surprise, asymmetrical conflict, and getting his opponent off balance in order to really take off. I don't think he could really match up with someone like Retsu or Orochi in a straight up fight because they 1) know his tricks and what to expect and 2) won't be egged on and rage the way he needs easily. He's C tier with an asterisk. (At least as of Baki Dou 2). Earlier on he was better but everyone else was on a more even power level then too, other than Yujiro.

The asterisk being: It's not like he couldn't do something against the the top tiers, but it'd have to be very well set up and super limited in time and scope. Sorta like Motobe's "saving" of Yujiro. Do the thing, delay the target, then GET THE gently caress OUT.

Plutonis posted:

Musashi > Pickle > Sukune > Olivia > Others

I count Pickle as a complete plot device and not a fighter, since he has just straight up hosed off from fights in the past for random reasons. His power level is also somewhat inconsistent.

I'd say: Musashi>Muhammad Ali Jr.>Olivia>Orochi/Retsu>Others.

Crain fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 21, 2020

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Crain posted:

I'd say: Musashi>Muhammad Ali Jr.>Olivia>Orochi/Retsu>Others.

I know Ali Jr was injured during the revenge matches but he was completely crushed by Jack at his top form

e: Unless you aren't counting Jack but I think he's below Musashi

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Plutonis posted:

I know Ali Jr was injured during the revenge matches but he was completely crushed by Jack at his top form

e: Unless you aren't counting Jack but I think he's below Musashi

Oh drat. That's right I forgot.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
Jack is the gatekeeper for the top 3 imo

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Ali Jr was just a big wet fart tbh and yeah, he got completely destroyed by Jack, who himself has been completely destroyed by multiple fighters at this point

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Collapsing Farts posted:

Ali Jr was just a big wet fart tbh and yeah, he got completely destroyed by Jack, who himself has been completely destroyed by multiple fighters at this point

Just Baki, Pickle and Motobe right?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Getting wrecked by Pickle isn't a negative I think. Pickle is way up there on the Baki power scales.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Eustace posted:

Just Baki, Pickle and Motobe right?

Yes, but he was so utterly defeated by Motobe and Pickle while others were more competitive that it's hard to even put him in the top 5 anymore

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
Thats the thing with Jack, sometimes hes the hammer ands sometimes hes the nail

Thats the nature of Baki, everybody gets their L eventually

Eustace fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 22, 2020

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Jack's combat style is a bad match up for him versus Pickle or Motobe.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Eustace posted:

Thats the thing with Jack, sometimes hes the hammer ands sometimes hes the nail

Thats the nature of Baki, everybody gets their L eventually

Not Yujiro

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Plutonis posted:

Not Yujiro

Hey now, he "lost" to the ancient chinese martial artist guy in the Maximum arc.

And he failed to utterly destroy Motobe when he "saved" him from Musashi.

That's probably as close as we're getting.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
He got punked by Ali jr and lost (I still dont understand what happened there please somebody explain it to me) the father and son battle against Baki

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Eustace posted:

He got punked by Ali jr and lost (I still dont understand what happened there please somebody explain it to me) the father and son battle against Baki

The lying on my back technique that Yujiro pulled out is basically a taunt that Ali Jr. didn't fall for. Ali Jr then made fun of him and walked out the room.

What's funny is that one of the dudes testing Ali Jr. to get into the Raitai Tournament did the same poo poo and Ali Jr. just beat the poo poo out him.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The thing Yujiro tried on Mohammed Ali Jr. was based on a real event:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-japanese-muhammad-ali-20160606-snap-htmlstory.html

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

The lying on my back technique that Yujiro pulled out is basically a taunt that Ali Jr. didn't fall for. Ali Jr then made fun of him and walked out the room.

What's funny is that one of the dudes testing Ali Jr. to get into the Raitai Tournament did the same poo poo and Ali Jr. just beat the poo poo out him.

No I mean the fight with baki. It gets treated like baki won that fight

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Eustace posted:

So I think it's supposed to be that Baki lost but because of how he fought and the way he managed to out-visualize Yujiro, he basically conceded "yeah you're pretty good kid" which is why that was a "victory". Yujiro declared Baki as being worthy of respect. At least that's how I interpreted it.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Glagha posted:

So I think it's supposed to be that Baki lost but because of how he fought and the way he managed to out-visualize Yujiro, he basically conceded "yeah you're pretty good kid" which is why that was a "victory". Yujiro declared Baki as being worthy of respect. At least that's how I interpreted it.

Not just worthy of respect. Baki surpassed Yujiro in visualization, he beat his dad in something.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Would legit love to see a Baki fighter who's on the spectrum and completely no-sells battle auras, visualization, 'killing intent' and all the other woo everyone else takes for granted.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Since it's come to this episode in my rewatch I still can't believe the insane side chapter sex scene made it basically unaltered into the anime. I didn't even know it existed until after watching the anime

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

It was actually an entire volume not just a chapter

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
Itagaki was overcompensating for decades of homoerotic content

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

When was the last time Kozue appeared in the manga because I'm not 100% sure she's still alive.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Eustace posted:

Yujiro made the soup too salty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The author just can't allow Yujiro to lose so even though Baki fought Yujiro harder than anyone ever before they had to settle the figth with imaginary soup conjuring instead of actual fighting