Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Y’all remember that one year JJ Watt was hugely disruptive and also played Tight End and caught touchdowns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Gatts posted:

Y’all remember that one year JJ Watt was hugely disruptive and also played Tight End and caught touchdowns?

I remember 3 years like that since he's the only person other than LT with 3 DPOYs

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Chronic back injuries are a killer.

He had a shot at being in the greatest defensive player ever conversation.

He will still make the HoF though.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Paint Crop Pro posted:

Same. He is the only Vikings jersey I currently have.

Post Regular Season, lets go the Bills baby, love da bills.

Diggs was one of my favorite receivers in the league to watch even back when he was on the Vikings and his catch against New Orleans was probably the only non-Bills-related highlight I found myself going back to rewatch. Having him come to Buffalo and help transform Josh Allen into a franchise QB is like a football dream come true.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Gatts posted:

I just watched this Youtube video called "Biggest MVP snubs" and he was on there for that year. I think it was 2014.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
He’s first ballot HOF. DPOY three times is insane and doesn’t he have something like 5 all pro awards?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 21, 2020

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

He’s first ballot HOF. DPOY three times is insane and doesn’t he have something like 5 all pro awards?

Yeah, the threshold for automatic HoF selection seems to be 1) 4 or more 1st team all-pro or 2) multiple player of the year awards or 3) at least 2 ringz if you're a QB

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Did this get posted

https://twitter.com/SeifertESPN/status/1340881610233831424?s=20

As always don't read the comments

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

:( his life and career is probably forever changed

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1341078057671602176?s=19

Hell yes

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Statler & Waldorf have been apart of TFF GDT for years, get with the times ESPN

:stat: :wal:

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Athanatos posted:

Statler & Waldorf have been apart of TFF GDT for years, get with the times ESPN

Yeah but now someone might actually listen.

Ohohohohoh

:stat::wal:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

panthers are gonna go for trevor

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
That's not some joke post?

Please let me have Muppets on my MNF…

:pray:

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

And the DPOY in 2013? Luke Kuechly :smith:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Amy Pole Her posted:

Also a WP MotY award.

He's the biggest defensive lock for Hof currently playing.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

FizFashizzle posted:

panthers are gonna go for trevor

No way Jacksonville is giving up Trevor.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Panthers getting Wilson, Fields or Lance

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

wandler20 posted:

No way Jacksonville is giving up Trevor.

I had to go check the standings to make sure I didn't imagine that 4 in the win column.

Apparently they're going to go for Trevor by trade with several opportune assassinations since that's the only way I see them getting there. Unless Trey is short for Trevor and I didn't know that?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There should be a rule against speculating on a qb needy team trading the #1 when there's a prospect like Trevor or Joe

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Eifert Posting posted:

There should be a rule against speculating on a qb needy team trading the #1 when there's a prospect like Trevor or Joe

Tua would have gone before Joe if he hadn't gotten hurt

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

drat, guess I'm watching MNF now

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Eifert Posting posted:

I mean to compare last years crop vs this years crop.. that’s a bit dishonest. Joe had legit competition last year. Fields is about 50 leagues below Trevor

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

a neat cape posted:

Tua was a system QB at Bama

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

D-LINK posted:

Yeah, the threshold for automatic HoF selection seems to be 1) 4 or more 1st team all-pro or 2) multiple player of the year awards or 3) at least 2 ringz if you're a QB

2 Rings isn't QUITE automatic, but Jim Plunkett is the only exception so far. (I think Eli Manning probably gets in, although I'm not sure he would have gotten in on rings alone if one of his wins wasn't arguably the biggest upset in football history).

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

GyroNinja posted:

2 Rings isn't QUITE automatic, but Jim Plunkett is the only exception so far. (I think Eli Manning probably gets in, although I'm not sure he would have gotten in on rings alone if one of his wins wasn't arguably the biggest upset in football history).

Yes we've had the discussion, but there is no way in hell that both Mannings don't make the HoF. But yeah, 18-1 is the tipping point.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

he's a coach and not a player but how the gently caress is Tom Flores not in the HOF

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Tua was a system QB at Bama

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

a neat cape posted:

with bama still losing the games they lost? i doubt it, burrow had an insane run that year

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I mean, Mac Jones hasn't missed a beat

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I mean, Mac Jones hasn't missed a beat

sometimes teams have two good QB's back to back!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Amy Pole Her posted:

I mean to compare last years crop vs this years crop.. that’s a bit dishonest. Joe had legit competition last year. Fields is about 50 leagues below Trevor

Nah.

It was always gonna be Joe Tua Herb. People can be revisionist now that Herb's had a crazy rookie year, but as a prospect he wasn't exceptional. If Joe has the season he had Tua being healthy would have made it a conversation, but Joe still woulda gone #1.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I loved my rookie of the year QB from the start

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm actually kinda curious now, how often do Rookie O/DPotY fare in the rest of the career? How many stay fantastic, how many decline but still play solid, and how many bust out due to bad circumstances or habits?

I imagine it's a healthy mix of all of the above but figured I'd ask to hear some fun stories and stats.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mega64 posted:

I'm actually kinda curious now, how often do Rookie O/DPotY fare in the rest of the career? How many stay fantastic, how many decline but still play solid, and how many bust out due to bad circumstances or habits?

Without looking it up I'd imagine Rookie OPotY has a worse successful (or at least long) career rate due to RBs winning it a lot?

e: ok some of the players on this list are pretty funny. And some are like, literally Randy Moss, so you know. Mixed bag.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/awards/ap-offensive-rookie-of-the-year-award.htm

Here's the defensive guys: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/awards/ap-defensive-rookie-of-the-year-award.htm

Defensive guys have some duds here and there but just glancing at the list that seems more predicative of having a hell of a career.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 21, 2020

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
:rip: to a great player who was so ridiculously dumb you forgot he was really good at football.

https://twitter.com/theauburnwire/status/1341131129269710856

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Every time I read about Wentz, it's always about "Wentz is offended the team drafted hurts" or "Wentz is upset he's not starting anymore" or anything else, just shows he's got the most fragile ego of any QB and is bitchmade. I figured he had the yips and really needed to see a sport psychologist more than anyone, and I'm starting to think that's the case.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Mega64 posted:

I imagine it's a healthy mix of all of the above but figured I'd ask to hear some fun stories and stats.

Rapistberger won ROTY, but hasn't won an MVP or single all-pro, mostly due to playing concurrently with Favre, Brady, PFM, Brees, and Rodgers. He probably should have won in 2016 tho.

Other Steelers with superlatives since 2000: James Harrison won DPOY in 2008 and Troy Polamalu won it in 2010. You know what their careers were like. Pretty sure Kendrell Bell won ROTY too, but he washed out of the league within a few years due to constant injury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Grittybeard posted:

:rip: to a great player who was so ridiculously dumb you forgot he was really good at football.

https://twitter.com/theauburnwire/status/1341131129269710856

He was a good linebackers coach for a while too

RIP