Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It doesn't look wrong or out of place to me. If you wanted EXTREME SYMETRY you could build a door with false drawer fronts to match the drawers under the sink, but that's gonna confuse the heck out of anyone trying to use it.

I like how consistent the grain is in all the door panels.

I had a piece of 8/4 ripped in two so the doors are bookmatched panels. That was nerve racking to make sure I got it right.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Falco posted:

I just finished up making presents for my two little boys. They are 4 and 7, so I may regret making them slingshots, but I had a blast making them and for now they will only know the ammo to be felted wool balls (we'll see how long that lasts). And they shoot amazingly well for really knowing nothing about slingshots.

All finished up. I used Alfie Shine as a quick finish and I'm loving it.

I give it roughly three days before they discover that pennies are excellent ammo. They look fantastic though, very nicely done.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

How useful do people feel like it is to have a panel saw around? I've been offered one (I think it's a safety speed something or other) but I'd have to find somewhere to put it and I'm not sure I'd use it much as I don't cut a ton of large sheet goods. Do people who have access to one find themselves using it for much outside of that?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Wallet posted:

How useful do people feel like it is to have a panel saw around? I've been offered one (I think it's a safety speed something or other) but I'd have to find somewhere to put it and I'm not sure I'd use it much as I don't cut a ton of large sheet goods. Do people who have access to one find themselves using it for much outside of that?

I used one constantly for set construction back in college. In my opinion, nothing even comes close to the speed or safety of the panel saw for tearing down sheet goods. If you don’t need to do much of that though, then honestly it’ll probably just take up space.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Wallet posted:

Safety Speeds are great. You can cut all kinds of sheet goods with its interchangeable blades and cutters. However if you are not cutting up sheets on a regular basis then it is not worth it. It takes up a rather large footprint, even mobile you have to consider the space needed to load the sheets when you want to use it. Not ideal for the Garage shop.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

GEMorris posted:

A Domino isn't a dowel and many many pages of text have been spilled on the internet over this fight.

The proportion of non-end-grain contact (where neither the loose tenon nor the workpiece are "presenting" end gran to the other) is *astronomically* higher with a domino than with a dowel. A dowel is almost entirely end grain contact on at least one piece. A domino is a tenon. It might have curved edges, but it is a tenon and it works like a tenon and has been tested to have the strength of a tenon and loose tenons have been in use for hundreds of years.

Domino haters (and I was one for a short bit right when they came out) are domino haters for one of two reasons:

1. They think the suffering gives the work purpose, and the Domino makes things too easy.
Or
2. They can't afford one.

A *lot* of them present as #1 but are actually #2

Lol.

Wasabi the J posted:

I hate dominos because of #2 and the fact that epoxy exists for much cheaper is a good counter to #1.

But I can't afford anything so I bitch about the cost of all of it.

I think you're in the wrong area code talking about epoxy, friend.

GEMorris posted:

I have the DeWalt biscuit jointer and it gets occasional use, exclusively for large panels.

In the new year I'm gonna drop the $$$ on the big Domino, we will see if I regret that decision.

(Unnecessary) We will need a full report/review.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
First catapult basically done

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Speaking of biscuit jointers I picked up an old and extremely hosed up looking Craftsman biscuit joiner that a friend who likes to mess with power tools is slowly trying to rehab for me. I'll report back if it works out.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

His Divine Shadow posted:

First catapult basically done

Pretty cool. Is there some sort of a release mechanism that I can't see in the picture?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Baronash posted:

I used one constantly for set construction back in college. In my opinion, nothing even comes close to the speed or safety of the panel saw for tearing down sheet goods. If you don’t need to do much of that though, then honestly it’ll probably just take up space.

JEEVES420 posted:

Safety Speeds are great. You can cut all kinds of sheet goods with its interchangeable blades and cutters. However if you are not cutting up sheets on a regular basis then it is not worth it. It takes up a rather large footprint, even mobile you have to consider the space needed to load the sheets when you want to use it. Not ideal for the Garage shop.

That's kind of what I figured. I'd have to keep it in the shed (my actual shop is in the basement where I don't think it could even stand up) which would mean dragging the thing out any time I wanted to use it. I'd probably end up just using the track saw anyway to avoid the bother. Thanks!

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

I like my little biscuit joiner. It gets kept in the original box up on a hard to get to shelf, and it’s useful purposes could be replaced with extra clamps/cauls or being more careful, but I’m glad I have it.

It’s a great item to request as a gift as I did. Brand won’t bother you and it’s in a gifty price range, which is a rare combination in woodworking.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Made another little keepsake box. 5" x 8" x 4", ash with walnut splines. I've had an idea for a box like this floating around my brain for years now. Splines were easier than I was expecting and the turned out great except one small gap.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I've got my garage rewired and am ready to start buying some tools after downsizing a while back, was going to pull the trigger on a Laguna 18" bandsaw but they're backordered until March :negative:

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Meow Meow Meow posted:

I've got my garage rewired and am ready to start buying some tools after downsizing a while back, was going to pull the trigger on a Laguna 18" bandsaw but they're backordered until March :negative:

Right now is an awful time to be buying *anything* for hobbies to be honest. My lee valley shopping cart is a mishmash of "available" dates ranging from January to loving MAY. Tons of machines are backordered, and/or companies that used to do discounts have stopped (Hammer for example).

The situation is just... Not great

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

GEMorris posted:

Right now is an awful time to be buying *anything* for hobbies to be honest. My lee valley shopping cart is a mishmash of "available" dates ranging from January to loving MAY. Tons of machines are backordered, and/or companies that used to do discounts have stopped (Hammer for example).

Doesn’t help that there’s a pretty big crossover between high end hobby stuff and small shop commercial stuff (that are also pretty busy now) and an 18” Laguna is pretty squarely in that niche. Just upgrade to a 20” or 24” Italian made one :shepspends: I got my Laguna secondhand for 30% of new and it’s great, but I haven’t been keeping my eye on the used market as much lately-I’m sure it’s nuts too.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

GEMorris posted:

Pretty much anything related to building, tools, lumber, fabrication, etc. Is nuts.

Aspenite is currently 3x what it should be, the pressure treated wood market is running near empty, and even fasteners are starting to jump in price. I'm building a house this spring and the two issues I am going to be running into are, 1. "This product is unavailable" or 2. "This product is currently priced 300% above typical market value".

I just got a quote for Trusses, engineered joists and beams that came to $35k and windows that are hovering around $22k. Sheeting for floors, walls, and the roof is going to be so insane that I have been putting off my calculations. It sucks that chisel sets are on hold and planes are an extra $15, but thank your lucky stars that you're not building during the year(s) of Covid.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
On the flip side tons of small shops and businesses are starting to go out of business or losing their shop space and you can get some good deals on high end equipment if you have the space and timing for it.... Which is less than ideal.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The junk collector posted:

On the flip side tons of small shops and businesses are starting to go out of business or losing their shop space and you can get some good deals on high end equipment if you have the space and timing for it.... Which is less than ideal.

How I got my router table

Me: So what do you guys make here?
Him: Nothing anymore
Me: :smith: so $300, right?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Just spent three hours rearranging my shop to confirm there is no way for me to keep my lathe ina usable position without compromising the function of at least one other tool.

At least I cleared out a bit of junk.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

The Locator posted:

Pretty cool. Is there some sort of a release mechanism that I can't see in the picture?

Yeah the lever is connected to a spring loaded sear, pull the lever down and you release the tension and it throws something.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

GEMorris posted:

I did this last weekend. My shop was a mess, but now it's nice and actually usable. Disassembling my radial arm saw really freed up a ton of space.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GEMorris posted:

Just spent three hours rearranging my shop to confirm there is no way for me to keep my lathe ina usable position without compromising the function of at least one other tool.

Clearly for your next project you need to build a shed

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think the wood is black limba, but it could be ziricote sapwod or something? Nice slingshots in any case-definitely don't teach them about using ball bearings as ammo :twisted:

Thanks for the ideas on what the wood may be, it was a mystery when I picked it up. And for sure! I wouldn't doubt if rocks end up in them before long

Olothreutes posted:

I give it roughly three days before they discover that pennies are excellent ammo. They look fantastic though, very nicely done.

I'm expecting the same. I kind of want to try with heavier objects, but have no intention of showing them :) Thank you very much, they were a lot of fun to make and it turns out there's a whole wild rabbit hole on the internet about homemade slingshots.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Super Waffle posted:

Made another little keepsake box. 5" x 8" x 4", ash with walnut splines. I've had an idea for a box like this floating around my brain for years now. Splines were easier than I was expecting and the turned out great except one small gap.

This is a beautiful little box

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

cakesmith handyman posted:

This is a beautiful little box

Thank you! :buddy:

I think I'll make a matching box next out of walnut with ash splines, give them to my two best friends.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

So have I been living a lie my whole life? The 2x4s and 2x6s I bought are only actually 1.5 inches thick, and only 3 and 4.5 inches wide, respectively. Is this some dumb American thing? Or am I dumb a American?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

So have I been living a lie my whole life? The 2x4s and 2x6s I bought are only actually 1.5 inches thick, and only 3 and 4.5 inches wide, respectively. Is this some dumb American thing? Or am I dumb a American?

Oh my sweet summer child.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

It's just antiquated. Back in the day they would rough cut the lumber to a 2x4, then it would shrink as it dried and was planed, that just stuck. A 2x4 is now 1.5x3.5" iirc. A 2x6 should be 5.5" not 4.5" you got a 2x5 somehow.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That is their nominal thickness when they are rough sawed and before they are dried. They shrink a bit when they are dried and then shrink further when they are planed to make them smooth. Nominal 2x stuff is actually 1.5" thick and 1x material is .75" thick. They are between .5-.75" narrower than the nominal dimension. x4s are 3.5" w x6's are 5.5"w, x8's are 7.25"w, x10's are 9.25"w and x12's are 11.25"w. It's been that way for like 50 years. There was some dumb lawsuit where people sued the big box stores because their 2x4's weren't 2"x4."

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Blistex posted:

Oh my sweet summer child.
This is what I expected lol

AFewBricksShy posted:

It's just antiquated. Back in the day they would rough cut the lumber to a 2x4, then it would shrink as it dried and was planed, that just stuck. A 2x4 is now 1.5x3.5" iirc. A 2x6 should be 5.5" not 4.5" you got a 2x5 somehow.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That is their nominal thickness when they are rough sawed and before they are dried. They shrink a bit when they are dried and then shrink further when they are planed to make them smooth. Nominal 2x stuff is actually 1.5" thick and 1x material is .75" thick. They are between .5-.75" narrower than the nominal dimension. x4s are 3.5" w x6's are 5.5"w, x8's are 7.25"w, x10's are 9.25"w and x12's are 11.25"w. It's been that way for like 50 years. There was some dumb lawsuit where people sued the big box stores because their 2x4's weren't 2"x4."
Thank you both for the details/background. That does make sense. I am probably mis-remembering the width because I was surprised/confused. I was able to adjust my measurements for the project I'm working on no sweat but I felt so dumb because I didnt know. I'm new to woodworking (was posting a few a dozen+ pages about the tools to buy and that kind of stuff so.... yeah, I'm learning :downs:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

This is what I expected lol

Thank you both for the details/background. That does make sense. I am probably mis-remembering the width because I was surprised/confused. I was able to adjust my measurements for the project I'm working on no sweat but I felt so dumb because I didnt know. I'm new to woodworking (was posting a few a dozen+ pages about the tools to buy and that kind of stuff so.... yeah, I'm learning :downs:

Pro-tip, grab a tape measure off the wall before heading to the lumber section of Lowe's Depot. Measure everything yourself, never trust the listed dimensions.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I was recently confused about nominal vs actual size.

I bought 1x6 cedar from Home Depot https://www.homedepot.ca/product/porcupine-1x6x8-stk-cedar-s4s-fence/1000102564

The following sites all say 1x6 is actually 3/4" x 5-1/2"

https://howelumber.com/dimensional-lumber
http://mistupid.com/homeimpr/lumber.htm
https://www.archtoolbox.com/materials-systems/wood-plastic-composites/dimensional-lumber-sizes-nominal-vs-actual.html
http://www.magers.org/handy/nom_vs_act_board.html
https://www.prowoodlumber.com/en/Projects-and-Resources/Common-Lumber-Dimensions

It wasn't until I started assembling and everything was off by a bit that I realized my 1x6 was actually 5/8" thick, not 3/4"

I went back to the Home Depot page and, indeed, they list "Assembled Depth (in inches)" as 0.63, which is 5/8. So technically their product page is correct. But are all those other pages wrong?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

JEEVES420 posted:

Pro-tip, grab a tape measure off the wall before heading to the lumber section of Lowe's Depot. Measure everything yourself, never trust the listed dimensions.
Yeaahhh if only I had known this before my last trip :v:
Never going without one again.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

please don't measure your subway "footlong" sandwich, for your own sake

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Even if you forget one, just grab one from their selection. They are usable in the packaging.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

You don't need to bring one, just find one that someone else left laying in the aisle.

epalm posted:

I bought 1x6 cedar from Home Depot

It wasn't until I started assembling and everything was off by a bit that I realized my 1x6 was actually 5/8" thick, not 3/4"

I went back to the Home Depot page and, indeed, they list "Assembled Depth (in inches)" as 0.63, which is 5/8. So technically their product page is correct. But are all those other pages wrong?

Those dimensions are generally correct for framing lumber.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
The average exterior wall stud is 5.5? I thought it was 6. This is very unsettling.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

epalm posted:

I bought 1x6 cedar from Home Depot https://www.homedepot.ca/product/porcupine-1x6x8-stk-cedar-s4s-fence/1000102564

https://howelumber.com/dimensional-lumber
http://mistupid.com/homeimpr/lumber.htm
https://www.archtoolbox.com/materials-systems/wood-plastic-composites/dimensional-lumber-sizes-nominal-vs-actual.html
http://www.magers.org/handy/nom_vs_act_board.html
https://www.prowoodlumber.com/en/Projects-and-Resources/Common-Lumber-Dimensions

When you get into the appearance boards, fence boards, and deck boards you can no longer count on framing sizes at the big box stores. They've also started selling 3/4 x 6 which are 5/8th x 5-1/2
When you shop online they don't really properly differentiate which ones you are looking at and at some of the stores they've gotten bad about mixing them.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

It doesn't do any good to measure at the store. By the time you get them home, they'll have dried more, or swelled due to the relative humidity in your garage. Even if they were straight once, your blade will heat(and expand) as you cut, changing the kerf of the blade along the length of the cut. A measurement has no meaning without an accompanying point in space-time, but big lumber won't ever let atomic clock gps tape measures hit the shelves. But you're too busy squabbling over imperial vs metric, aren't you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

bobua posted:

but big lumber won't ever let atomic clock gps tape measures hit the shelves

you fool its impossible to know the dimensions of a piece of wood and its location at the same time. maybe you heard of quantum mechanics?