Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Mega 64's still got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Just play that clip of "shinji sucks" forever on loop

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Excellent

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Holy poo poo, that was great. I hope they really do make an EoE one.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

blossommirage posted:

Holy poo poo, that was great. I hope they really do make an EoE one.
Looks like they shot the footage, it's just a matter of editing time.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I’m kinda sad they didn’t have time for the real mvp of the series, Jet Alone

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Brilliant

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Just showed my wife 2.22 for her first time

She was all "you crying" but naw there's like a gas leak or something you crazy

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
That video was sublime.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

this is loving incredible

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i ended up rewatchin eoe and the rebuilds cuz of the mega64 vid and god drat i forgot how pretty eoe, 2.22 and 3.33 are, esp. eoe. i also forgot how extremely uplifting the ending of eoe is, haha. it's kind of crazy how positive it is thematically given the contents of like, what's going on and the epilogue

but most importantly, i forgot that they managed to get kaworu twice with the old switcheroo lmfao

edit:
also coming directly off EoE it's really cool to see how much of 3.33's imagery is directly ripped from that and is like, 'oh, that poo poo from eoe went down'
and all the callbacks shot-wise in the ending to the end of 2.22 where shinji is repeating the same mistake, down to the same shot used for 'grim determination' shinji about to gently caress up the world, again vs. the awakening eyes

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 23, 2020

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012

Fereydun posted:

'oh, that poo poo from eoe went down'

Yeah man. I've been saying they didn't show what happened between 2 and 3 because we already know. Lilith off the cross. Giant Rei head. It just got interrupted this time.

Still don't know what the deal with all those red unit 01s is. Unless it's like Shinjimentality turns you into an Eva instead of tang? :thunk:

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

redsniper posted:

Yeah man. I've been saying they didn't show what happened between 2 and 3 because we already know. Lilith off the cross. Giant Rei head. It just got interrupted this time.

Still don't know what the deal with all those red unit 01s is. Unless it's like Shinjimentality turns you into an Eva instead of tang? :thunk:

i'm not sure why they are unit-01s instead of human-shaped figures, but you actually see this in EOE too! when the komm susser todd sequence is happening, you actually see that each of those the red particles that are flowing out of the sea of red are meant to be those human-shaped figures, like lil 2d/flat outlines of people. it's why you see them explicitly get funned into the giant rei into eva01/the big core it's holding as part of unification. you even see them forming a 'sea'/losing their walls to (i assume) visualize how they are losing those human barriers

during the ending when shinji realizes that being alive is it's own reward and that he treasures the existence of others as individuals and humans you even see the core explode with the same red particles falling back onto the earth.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 23, 2020

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

it's less that they look like evas and more that they look like adams. because it was an angel that initiated instrumentality this time, not a human, so the process turned everyone into mini adams for a bit.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

redsniper posted:

Unit-01 became a god at the end of 2.22 and when it initiated its version of Third Impact, it began remaking humanity in its image, like capital-G God is said to have made humans in his. This is why the closer you get to Nerv HQ and the epicenter of Near-Third Impact the "Failures of Infinity", as Kaworu calls them, start looking more and more like perfect copies of Unit-01 in shape and scale. The further away you get, the more hosed up and stunted and off-model they get because it seems Near-Third Impact radiated outwards from Unit-01's location and when Kaworu stopped it, it was kind of a hard shutdown.

Still no explanation for why Misato, Ritsuko, Gendo, et al. somehow managed to not be turned into Evas as well, but then again you wouldn't have a movie if Shinji fragged all of them like he did basically the rest of humanity.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

nine-gear crow posted:

Unit-01 became a god at the end of 2.22 and when it initiated its version of Third Impact, it began remaking humanity in its image, like capital-G God is said to have made humans in his. This is why the closer you get to Nerv HQ and the epicenter of Near-Third Impact the "Failures of Infinity", as Kaworu calls them, start looking more and more like perfect copies of Unit-01 in shape and scale. The further away you get, the more hosed up and stunted and off-model they get because it seems Near-Third Impact radiated outwards from Unit-01's location and when Kaworu stopped it, it was kind of a hard shutdown.

Still no explanation for why Misato, Ritsuko, Gendo, et al. somehow managed to not be turned into Evas as well, but then again you wouldn't have a movie if Shinji fragged all of them like he did basically the rest of humanity.

This doesn't add up with what we see, though. Unit 01 wasn't doing anything at the end of 2.22. Everything that took place there was because Shinji wanted Rei back. The people closest to Third Impact were seemingly the safest, as if they're in the eye of a storm. And given that all the NERV personnel were locked up and arrested by the UN, it's unlikely that they were turned into giant headless Eva beings. You are correct that the Failures get more coherent the closer you get to Third Impact's ground zero - but that ground zero was not what we saw at the end of 2.22. The only real damage we saw inflicted at the end of 2.22 was that big cross-shaped tear in the earth opening up.

What we definitely know is this: At the end of 2.22, Near Third Impact kicked off at Shinji's unwitting behest. Between 2.22 and 3.33, Third Impact proper took place, and is the event that led to the world looking as it does throughout the third film. N3I is a distinct event from 3I, and was investigated by an important party seperate from NERV and SEELE (The UN and/or Japanese government) who arrested and interrogated NERV personnel. While N3I was instigated by Gendo and stopped by Kaworu, 3I appears to have been kicked off by an Angel and stopped by the automated Mark 6 - maybe. It may also have been kicked off by SEELE and stopped by WILLE and the JSSDF.

I read a very intricate theory on the timeline of Third Impact, but I'm recalling it from memory. So, the vague idea was that it was similar to EoE, but inverted. Either an Angel or SEELE kicks off Third Impact, which leads to Lilith waking up, coming down off her cross, and growing huge. The JSSDF was present and, presumably, attacking Lilith (alternatively, failing to defend her - either way, there are crashed VTOLs in Lilith's chamber.) At some point, Lilith is decapitated but this doesn't stop her, or Third Impact. Down in that big underground cavern, her body continues doing whatever it was doing.

At some point, Mark Six - now automated - gets involved. I think based on the visuals in 3.33, it's unclear what happened to it. The one thing that is clear is that it was being absorbed by Lilith. But whether it had impaled itself (and Lilith) on the spears to stop her - or whether it was trying to pull the spears out is unclear.

The theory posited that if the Spear of Cassius was removed from Unit 01 at some point, then it was likely that Unit 01 was involved in Third Impact. This is backed up by how people blame Shinji for Third Impact. To reiterate, not Near Third Impact. And we know N3I is a thing because 2.22's ending preview established that Unit 01 had been contained within the Near Third Impact Site. Additionally, Kaworu's comments about Unit 01 being the 'catalyst' for Third Impact imply that it was involved directly in some fashion. The theory also pointed out that the ravine of teeth has the same color teeth as Unit 01 - red.

So, the theory put forth that Unit 01's involvement was that it woke up and drove the spears through Lilith (and Mark Six), averting 3I at the final hour. Then, afterward, Unit 01 went back to sleep and everyone decided to throw throw it into space. Which seems like a fair thing to do with your biomechanical god-being if you're not sure you can control it and it played a part in the apocalypse. If I recall correctly, Unit 01's space coffin is also marked with the new NERV logo, which implies it is one of the later events in the 2.22-3.33 timeline, whereas the old NERV logo shows up as being battle damaged from Third Impact. This also makes sense with a sequence of events that is, basically: speared Unit 01 is 'confined' in a circle of those anti-Angel pillars, Unit 01 wakes up again, someone decides that 01 should be thrown into space. I think the Mark Four defending Unit 01 is marked with the UN Eva logo, too.

But overall, the exact timeline of 3I is difficult to piece together. A lot of it has to be deduced from little details, like the NERV logo on Unit 01's space sarcophagus, and cryptic lines here and there. The Failures are a particularly difficult detail to pin down but we know they didn't exist at the end of 2.22. When we see them in 3.33, it's like they were created after Lilith got decapitated because they're reaching for and climbing upon her severed head. Yet Lilith's massive cross is resting on a field of giant skulls, which implies that those skulls were present before she came down off the cross. They also had to bore down through the Failures of Infinity to get to Lilith and place the shield over her chamber, which, again, appears to be a post-3I measure. The fact that the Failures are all decapitated, just like Lilith, is also another data point that implies some kind of connection - did they all get decapitated when she was, or did they form decapitated as a consequence of her beheading? Were they trying to return Lilith's head to her? But still, what's with the skulls?

I'm not sure where to point out in this that Lilith is also decapitated in EoE at around the time Shinji stops Third Impact.

tl;dr - EoE went down but it seems like it was somewhat inverted.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 23, 2020

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I can't wait for eva 3+1 to come out because I NEED peaceful times in an SRW.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've never played a SRW but this always makes me laugh

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Nate RFB posted:

Blessed image

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

The fact we never got a final gainax special is an absolute crime. You finally had gunbuster, diebuster, gurren lagann and evangelion in the same game and you don't make a combo attack?!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Pre-screenings of 3.0+1.0 to non-staff audiences has begun, so beware of (or go hunting for) spoilers in the coming days/weeks

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

asuka kills Dumbledore

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Fuyutsuki's Shinji's father

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Shinji is the One.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
It was me, Dio!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

All the Evangelions fuse into Super Evangelion God Super Evangelion.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Shinji remakes the world into one where we are All Happy and rejected it as false and puts an end to the Curse of Evangelion with the last image if the film being a 10 minute long live-shot of the audience using in-threatre cams set to a new Utada Hikaru song.

After the Credits roll you hear:

Rei: What will we name him?

Shinji: I want him to have a bright future... Hideaki. Say hello to the world, son.

Cue Unit 1 howl.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Xehanort kills Shinji

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

FilthyImp posted:

Shinji remakes the world into one where we are All Happy and rejected it as false and puts an end to the Curse of Evangelion with the last image if the film being a 10 minute long live-shot of the audience using in-threatre cams set to a new Utada Hikaru song.

After the Credits roll you hear:

Rei: What will we name him?

Shinji: I want him to have a bright future... Hideaki. Say hello to the world, son.

Cue Unit 1 howl.
the real ending won’t be as good as this

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Raxivace posted:

All the Evangelions fuse into Super Evangelion God Super Evangelion.

No, no, that's from the fifth movie, after Yui gets the Infinity Gauntlet

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Shinjobi posted:

Xehanort kills Shinji

I can't believe Rei gets norted.

Siegkrow posted:

I can't wait for eva 3+1 to come out because I NEED peaceful times in an SRW.

I wonder how fast they'll fit the new poo poo into a new SRW.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

At the very end, we’ll finally get an explanation for the symbolism of the ghostly Rei that appears at the beginning and end of the original series and EoE.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Regalingualius posted:

At the very end, we’ll finally get an explanation for the symbolism of the ghostly Rei that appears at the beginning and end of the original series and EoE.

Wasn't that just Lilith?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I can't loving believe Gendo says "Get in the robot, Shinji."

What a twist.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

TenementFunster posted:

the real ending won’t be as good as this

Get PMs scrub, trying to send you something

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The ending is just going to be the ending to Gall Force Eternal Story

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

shinji transitions and she is much happier now, she makes yarn penises for the last half of the movie

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Can't believe that Shinji was a time-travelling bucket all along!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Albert Wesker reveals he's still alive and uses his newfound superpowers to attack Shinji.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Fereydun posted:

also coming directly off EoE it's really cool to see how much of 3.33's imagery is directly ripped from that and is like, 'oh, that poo poo from eoe went down'

Yeah. I know people have some very valid reasons for disliking 3.33 but this is one of the reasons that I enjoy it so much, is that despite the time skip which threw me, it's very reminiscent of how crazy EoE was and has some phenomenal visuals of the world that's left. I think I mentioned before but I remember someone taking screen captures and stitching all the images together to give a proper view of some landscapes and it was stunning. Noticing the huge crevice with teeth as well was some powerful imagery.

When they showed the teaser trailer for what was supposed to be 4.0 at the end with the Evas fighting on the surface which had a huge AT field I thought they were going to go with something batshit insane for the final movie, but having now seen what we have of 3.0 + 1.0 I'm fairly sure that footage was scrapped and they've gone in a different direction. That footage they shared of WILLE in Paris was fantastic.

This is an awesome post, thanks for sharing. I'd never even thought of it like that but reading various theories and ideas for this is part of the fun and a big reason why I think the show is so revered. There's a lot to sink your teeth into and since I doubt the final Rebuild movie will neatly tie up everything and provide all the answers (at least I hope it doesn't) I like that we can take away general and more obvious messages from it but also have plenty to speculate over at the same time.