Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Zarikov posted:

Does anyone have a good hookup for spare polycap pieces? I would have thought these would be easy to find but I'm having little luck. Maybe I'm not using the right search terms?

I've been playing around making bandai gunpla compatible parts with my 3d printer, and using some spare polycaps for the joints. Unfortunately, I don't have near enough of them to build a whole model from scratch.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3598434

Print in TPU. :-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Onmi posted:

What?

Using a similarly priced, in-stock kit as a substitute (since it's on backlog on HLJ)

Shipping is minimum $20 on a single item. With tax as $1.84. Altogether it's $42.89 or basically the same price, but I'm also waiting forever for it to arrive. Unless I gravely misunderstand how HLJ's private warehouse works it's not gonna be any cheaper, I'll just be paying it later.

If the price was the concern I'd just use layaway. The issue is my dumb brain doesn't want to pay $10 extra on top of $32 and is instead more willing to pay $150 for kits because "But that saves money overall because I don't have to pay the shipping on orders $150 or more. So if I brought the GM Intercept, Zaku II Type C, and I dunno the Zabanya? I'm basically saving $40 which is basically just a free Zabanya!" Compounded by "But outside of the Exam I don't really care for any of these mecha"

I'm the dumbest human being in existence basically and having the "I brought a tonne of yogurt because it was on sale. I don't know why in retrospect I don't eat yogurt" brain thing happen.

They don't quite have the same amount of range as HLJ, bit have you tried Banzaihobby.com?

They've been my go to guys for a long time.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Bill Posters posted:

Eh.. It's possible shipping costs have gone up somewhat since Covid. A typical HG used to be closer to $10 shipping to Aus.

Still, my second paragraph still holds. Consider postage part of the cost. Finding a kit you want in stock locally will usually be the exception rather than the norm.

All the Japanese based sites had to drop SAL and small packet at the start of covid as the post literally stopped sending things overseas.

Banzai hobby have restarted using it but HLJ doesn't seem to have done so as well.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

HLJ have had small packet available to Australia again since early November.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So my incoming christmas order was scheduled for the 29th/30th which seemed reasonable to me, but I just got the notification it's due today. So... Christmas Eve miracle I guess!

I wanna save the RG Nu for last since it's the most precious kit. But I am wondering what order to tackle these in. First things first, gotta glue the forehead jewel of my Grandpa Origin. That thing goes loving flying if I so much as sneeze at it. Then I gotta tighten the joint for the shoulder cannon but I think I should get some paint for that.

EDIT: It's here! It's here! It's-

Why do I have two Char's Zaku's?

...Why did I ORDER two Char's Zaku's?

Well, the shop isn't that far, I called em up, let them know, asked if I could trade it in for a similarly priced kit, they said sure. The RG Wing Gundam EW is only a $1 more and if not that, the Zeta Revive might be nice.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 24, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Okay everybody, time to step up our game,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkHw_MBI-Yg

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Didn't see a single guy in a cardboard box with I'm a gundam written on it 0/10

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

How good are Action Base 4's for 1/144 kits? The 5's are sold out almost everywhere.

They're fine. They're basically exactly the same but 4 comes with more base pieces and has longer arms for the various options. The downside is that the pieces used to turn the normal rigid two-part mounting arm into two half-length mounting arms don't mount well into the stand. They fit but too much weight or too acute an angle means the weight of a HG can cause it to pop out of the hole. Just plan accordingly.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Didn't see a single guy in a cardboard box with I'm a gundam written on it 0/10

They just didn't want to make the guy in the White Glint costume feel bad at being outshined like that.

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gf lost a part from her mg heavyarms, one of the magazine's on the belt, Ive turned this room upside down and can't find it. What should we do, just cut the wire? Makes it even harder to pose :(

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Miss Broccoli posted:

Gf lost a part from her mg heavyarms, one of the magazine's on the belt, Ive turned this room upside down and can't find it. What should we do, just cut the wire? Makes it even harder to pose :(

It's possible to get replacement parts, with a 3D printer if nothing else. Meanwhile, if you cut the wire it's going to be hard to get it back in shape.

Also, the piece might just turn up. I once only found a piece when I was moving.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

chiasaur11 posted:

It's possible to get replacement parts, with a 3D printer if nothing else. Meanwhile, if you cut the wire it's going to be hard to get it back in shape.

Also, the piece might just turn up. I once only found a piece when I was moving.

Had that happen, spent 3 days searching the floor for the back of a hand with my Origin Grandpa, only to finally open up the box to look at different customizations and- Oh there's the back of the hand. I guess it didn't drop on the floor.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I lost a like, sub mm diameter plug thing on my Ambient for two weeks before it mysteriously turned up behind one of my monitors.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The new Kamen Ride Decade kit comes with an unacceptable number of stickers

But it also comes with KAMEN RIDE

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Why are all the Super Robot Wars plamo so goddamn expensive.

I just want a Cybuster. :smith:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Koto infrequently reprints the SRW stuff so it commands a premium on the secondary market.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MonsieurChoc posted:

http://www.gundammodelcenter.com/gundam-central-super-og-robot-cybaster

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Happy holidays, guys!

I am in quarantine, so this gave me time to finally finish my grunt suit built. Yay!

It's a MG GM Sniper II. Quite happy with how it turned out. I will post some more pictures with shield and rifle tomorrow. :)

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Looking killer. I've got an MG sniper II of my own sitting around that I keep telling myself I'll get to and paint... "Someday"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
drat, that looks good as heck

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I’m putting together an MG barbatos and I’m getting the gun together and it’s a little frustrating because the outer barrel won’t move into the white connector any further. The outer barrel is made of two halves put together and the white connector uses one of those slots where one side is flat. I thought I put it in correctly but it’s almost all the way in but not quite. The other half of the barrel I was able to push in because it had something for my fingers to grip onto while pushing it in but the other piece is long and smooth. I’ve looked at some speed builds and it seems to just slide in in those. Maybe the two halves of the barrel are pushing each other apart? Both halves are completely stuck together though.

The rest of the build had gone very well and hasn’t had a “sazabi chest moment” until now. It’s neat building an mg of an hg you built before. I’m very impressed with the pistons.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Day 3 of the PGU build

Arms. Not too much to say here except the chrome plated innards for the hands are neat.

The head has some lovely looking light piping. Also metal vulkans

Inner frame finished.

And the silver and chrome 'truss' stage of the build, also all the photoetch stickers.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I’m putting together an MG barbatos and I’m getting the gun together and it’s a little frustrating because the outer barrel won’t move into the white connector any further. The outer barrel is made of two halves put together and the white connector uses one of those slots where one side is flat. I thought I put it in correctly but it’s almost all the way in but not quite. The other half of the barrel I was able to push in because it had something for my fingers to grip onto while pushing it in but the other piece is long and smooth. I’ve looked at some speed builds and it seems to just slide in in those. Maybe the two halves of the barrel are pushing each other apart? Both halves are completely stuck together though.

The rest of the build had gone very well and hasn’t had a “sazabi chest moment” until now. It’s neat building an mg of an hg you built before. I’m very impressed with the pistons.

I had the same problem with mine. I ended up filing down the tab on the barrel and then shoving pretty hard on both ends. It's not you, but there's not really a great solution that doesn't involve force.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Question: which of the godhand nippers are the most recommended?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Burns posted:

The GH-SPN-120 is the really nice single blade one.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Burns posted:

Midjack posted:

The GH-SPN-120 is the really nice single blade one.

Yeah, when people say GodHand nippers, they actually mean these. They have a fairly wide product range with nippers at a few different price points but these are the special ones that people (me included) go nuts over.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I've found Godhand's nippers superb even in lower price ranges. I have the CPN-120 as well as the SPN-120. It's a standard double-bladed nipper but it's by far the sharpest one of my non-single edge nippers while being durable enough to be my workhorse rather than only occasionally used like the SPN-120.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
If you don't wanna spend $75, I can suggest these two:

This is $20: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0894TVBYN/ stedi 4.7-inch Model Nipper

And this is $8: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RW8VTSX/ IGAN igan-330 nippers. I have recently put in a warrenty claim with them... and they're sending me a new set. (the spring broke.)

They're double edge clippers, so aren't quite as slick as the single edge ones. The Stedi ones are.. only slightly, better than the IGAN ones.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The Tertium Arms were a good pick, giving me a good G-Defenser substitute I can smack onto any kits. Of course, this means the Rx-78-2 loses some dakka in the form of the shoulder cannon (which is super loose, I'm going to have to tighten that joint) and has nowhere to store the beam saber. And yeah I just slapped the unmodded parts into the 78-2's backpack.

Also that gun is impossible to really pose with, with the vanilla hands. I hope I don't have to buy a Tertium to get some good holding hands for it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Maybe the Build Custom Build Hands if you can find that?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Oh my god thank you!!!!1!!

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

I'm going to need more shelves :shepspends:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MonsieurChoc posted:

Oh my god thank you!!!!1!!

Happy to help.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There's a new company called Suyata that has started a line of cyberpunk kits with themesong suggestions

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Gripweed posted:

There's a new company called Suyata that has started a line of cyberpunk kits with themesong suggestions

The renders look kinda cool but I can't find any reviews or anything, probably because it's super new/not actually out yet. HLJ only wants like 20 bucks for it though, so I might take a chance on it.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Gripweed posted:

https://youtu.be/5tBuPwXBCvs I see you

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

They have some interesting products here:
https://www.hlj.com/armored-almond-nutsmobile-001-sytba-001
https://www.hlj.com/armored-peanut-nutsmobile-002-sytba-002
https://www.hlj.com/armored-walnut-nutsmobile003-sytba-003
https://www.hlj.com/armored-chestnut-nutsmobile004-sytba-004
https://www.hlj.com/mechanical-dynastes-marvelous-museum-sytmm-001
https://www.hlj.com/modeler-s-penknife-ct002-sytct-002

The Mobile Armored Nut Group also comes in a 4-pack.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ok the katana pen knife is pretty good

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

One thing to note is that it looks like they're a Chinese company pretending to be Japanese, which feels a bit shady to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So, the model store the one we were going to exchange it's in broadmeadows. I'm like "ah that's close I'll head down." Because I was thinking broadmeadows Victoria, when it was broadmeadows NSW. So uh hopefully they'll let me refund via mail or... uh... some one wanna buy a Origin Char's Zaku 2?