Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Wasabi the J posted:

How much has it improved then?

We’ve done a bunch of boring necessary stuff: insulated, replaced the knob and tube, updated the boiler and furnace. But it could still contribute significantly to this thread. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

GotLag posted:

It's not a deterrent if people don't see it.

A gated community near me pulled the one-two punch of installing fake security cameras that were no bigger than a computer mouse, so they were hard to spot, and mounting them directly to tree trunks, so if you did spot them you immediately realized they were fake.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

GotLag posted:

It's not a deterrent if people don't see it.

I was thinking more along the line of big highly visible camera == likely fake vs smaller tucked away camera == probably the real deal, but maybe I was overthinking it.

The camera watching our driveway does the Eye of Sauron thing with its IR emitters at night so you definitely notice it if you're paying any attention at all.

BTW, for anyone interested in rolling their own surveillance setup, Blue Iris is pretty drat impressive. Just make sure you get cameras that can stream H.264 so you can record direct to disk or you'll be using a ton of CPU with just a handful. I have 4 5MP cameras streaming at 15FPS and recording continuously and it uses 15% CPU on average on a 4-core Xeon.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 24, 2020

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I was thinking more along the line of big highly visible camera == likely fake vs smaller tucked away camera == probably the real deal, but maybe I was overthinking it.

The camera watching our driveway does the Eye of Sauron thing with its IR emitters at night so you definitely notice it if you're paying any attention at all.

BTW, for anyone interested in rolling their own surveillance setup, Blue Iris is pretty drat impressive. Just make sure you get cameras that can stream H.264 so you can record direct to disk or you'll be using a ton of CPU with just a handful. I have 4 5MP cameras streaming at 15FPS and recording continuously and it uses 15% CPU on average on a 4-core Xeon.

Have you considered recording only when there is motion? I did this one time with a webcam in an apartment. My neighbors left a nasty letter full of swear words bitching about me "playing loud rock music" when I was away at work, so I put up a camera for the next few weeks. Since I was only using a desktop webcam the quality was pretty crappy, but it didn't take up much space at all. I don't remember the name of the app I used, there are tons of them, you pick a still shot and then choose to record when x% of the screen changes. It's also great for watching birds.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Did you catch them?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Clayton Bigsby posted:

On the topic of security, how much of a deterrent do you guys think security cameras are? And should they be highly visible, or more discreet?

As someone whose job was to design large scale video surveillance systems and now teaches how to design them, I can assure you that they are not a deterrent. Their purpose is for providing evidence. Over the course of my career I've seen hundreds, if not thousands of videos with idiots looking up at the cameras and not stopping. gently caress, I've literally seen morons get on a step ladder and put their face into the camera to see if there is something in the housing. As a general rule of thumb, people tune them out. And honestly for home users, they tend to just be a way to piss away money. Residential burglaries have a closure rate of around 13%. Not a conviction rate, just a belief by the police they are pretty sure who did it. Video can help bump that up, but the single most effective tool for closing burglaries tends to be the pawn shop registries. Documenting serial numbers so they show up generally makes it easy enough for police to solve that they will give a gently caress. But with Craigslist that is becoming a bit less effective.

Dareon posted:

A gated community near me pulled the one-two punch of installing fake security cameras that were no bigger than a computer mouse, so they were hard to spot, and mounting them directly to tree trunks, so if you did spot them you immediately realized they were fake.

They also tend to have a single red led in the front. Honestly buying lottery tickets is a better use of money than fake cameras. My loathing of them knows no boundaries.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

My apartment complex had one by the trash compactor dumpster to deter people from dumping their poo poo there. No clue with the amount of times people just dumped their big poo poo by it they didn't just get a real one. Like the place had power and poo poo.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

tater_salad posted:

My apartment complex had one by the trash compactor dumpster to deter people from dumping their poo poo there. No clue with the amount of times people just dumped their big poo poo by it they didn't just get a real one. Like the place had power and poo poo.

People have a theory that other human beings will do what they think the smart thing is. If this year hasn't proven people will do the dumb poo poo thing more often than not, I don't know what to tell them. But the expectation is you see you're being watched so you'll do the right thing. It's just that most of the time people just kinda blank out them out. From a placement perspective most are mounted above our eye lines, they tend to be something people only notice in peripheral vision. Even when you have something like a ring of IR illuminators, most people will have no idea what the gently caress that they are. So they might look at it but it's not something people immediately go "Ah, a security camera!"

As for why they went fake vs real, that's easy. The costs of a fake camera all in tend to be $30. If that area is like most apartment dumpsters, it's offset a little bit. So there is likely a pole with power but no easy conduit for cabling back. So you'd probably go wireless to the nearest building. Without knowing exactly where you are, or seeing the physical layout of stuff, that camera would be $600 to $1000 dollars all in. Now assuming nothing blocks line of sight, I could probably move the camera to a building where I can eliminate the wireless portion and adjust the lens for a smaller field of view. That would fulfill the evidence need and cut costs. But sometimes people like their clever ideas that are stupid.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
The PO off my current going installed cameras, with dedicated recording. I keep them running, but I also spent $30 for a few signs that I posted in conspicuous locations announcing that everything is being recorded. I have noticed far fewer incidents of cars being broken into on the stretch of public street, but that is mostly based on the frequency that the cops ask me for recordings.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

tater_salad posted:

My last apartment has an actual camera recording the trash area but literally nobody from the company is paid enough to care, despite having video evidence and a dumping fee in the lease. They literally have an area they drag all the dumped furniture to and when it fills up they drag it outside and pay for a pick-up.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Our PO left behind a couple cameras and everything but the hub for some proprietary security system and we’re just taking it all out because like, we live in a suburb and have homeowners insurance in the extremely unlikely circumstance anyone did take anything.

Having a camera on the doorstep wasn’t even a useful deterrent when I lived in a city with lots of package thefts, in a suburb it’s just entertaining paranoia as far as I’m concerned.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It's nice to know if the mailman came yet.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The "safe" was a locked cabinet containing some communion wine, which isn't even particularly good.
Isn't communion wine typically non-alcoholic too?

Although I guess the thieves were probably hoping for something more than wine in the cabinet.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Matthias Wandel has a program which I think might suit some peoples needs here
https://woodgears.ca/imgcomp/index.html

Been consdering getting this myself and setting up some surveilance in the shop.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Collateral Damage posted:

Only in certain protestant denominations, though looking it up, non‐alcoholic communion juice is more common than I thought.

quote:

These denominations include Pentecostals, Baptists, Methodists, some Churches of Christ, and other Evangelical groups.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Only in certain protestant denominations, though looking it up, non‐alcoholic communion juice is more common than I thought.

Welch's Grape Juice was invented by a methodist minister who wanted to peddle non-alcoholic wine that wouldnt ferment (since the grape juice was pasteurized)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Mormons just use white bread and water :/

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

MisterOblivious posted:

My last apartment has an actual camera recording the trash area but literally nobody from the company is paid enough to care, despite having video evidence and a dumping fee in the lease. They literally have an area they drag all the dumped furniture to and when it fills up they drag it outside and pay for a pick-up.

I assumed they were trying to catch outsiders from leaving trash at a apartment dumpster. They're trying to catch residents? I haven't lived in an apartment or condo where you couldn't just take your trash out. One place needed a special pickup schedule for appliances, but that was clear since it was a tiny room with a couple wheel bins.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
The other thing with cameras is that, sure you got video of a thing, but so what? Unless you can identify the person involved, it’s kind of whatever.

In a corporate setting with access card records to match it works, but for low level property crimes, unless you bust a tenant it just doesn’t matter. Police only care if it helps them with something else.

Obviously I shouldn’t talk in absolutes, but generally speaking it holds true.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I live in a lily-white suburb with an extremely low crime rate, I’m well aware that cameras will be useless for anything crime related when I install them.

For me, it’s the technical aspect of planning, configuring, and installing that I enjoy. I probably won’t even install cameras for several years but I’ve already run fiber from the main rack in the basement to a second floor IDF where the camera drops will terminate.

When my kids are teenagers though that’s an entirely different matter on the usefulness of said cameras. Trust, but verify.

To bring it back around to crappy construction, this is the *only* path that I could do the runs up to the second floor, out into the garage and then up:

I’ll eventually install a nice cable track mold system but for now this is it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

No.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

`Nemesis posted:

The other thing with cameras is that, sure you got video of a thing, but so what?

So you can prove to the insurance company that poo poo actually got nicked.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

`Nemesis posted:

In a corporate setting with access card records to match it works,

This assumes that they properly administer and secure the card system, with names associated to single cards, instead of just handing them out like candy.

Also that they don't run up against anyone technically advanced that just clones several random ones off employees.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

MRC48B posted:

This assumes that they properly administer and secure the card system, with names associated to single cards, instead of just handing them out like candy.

Also that they don't run up against anyone technically advanced that just clones several random ones off employees.

Sure, all true. Didn’t think I needed to write a white paper about it though.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

So you can prove to the insurance company that poo poo actually got nicked.

Never dealt with one that cared beyond a police report number, but that is of course just my experience.

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 25, 2020

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Not Wolverine posted:

Have you considered recording only when there is motion? I did this one time with a webcam in an apartment. My neighbors left a nasty letter full of swear words bitching about me "playing loud rock music" when I was away at work, so I put up a camera for the next few weeks. Since I was only using a desktop webcam the quality was pretty crappy, but it didn't take up much space at all. I don't remember the name of the app I used, there are tons of them, you pick a still shot and then choose to record when x% of the screen changes. It's also great for watching birds.

Disk is silly cheap and the 2TB I have allocated keeps several days of recording without a problem. I use motion detect to tag events but this way I can still review any moment I want even if something should've been missed by the motion detection.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
How's the quality of the video vs photos? On the raspberry pi setup photos where a lot better than video.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Clayton Bigsby posted:

On the topic of security, how much of a deterrent do you guys think security cameras are? And should they be highly visible, or more discreet?

Cameras and visible alarms are a deterrent most of the time. Most criminals are lazy and want an easy life. They'll just pick another house on the road that doesn't have them.

Obviously there will be exceptions, but overwhelmingly its true.

Some crappy UK construction,

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Baconroll posted:

Some crappy UK construction,

At last! We've thrown off the red tape shackles of the EU and now we can get back to proper British engineering

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

poo poo, time to uninstall the graphics driver and revert back to an earlier version.

I'm no expert on showers nor on electricity but I'm certain they shouldn't go together like that.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Did they install an attic bathroom?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

By popular demand posted:

poo poo, time to uninstall the graphics driver and revert back to an earlier version.

I'm no expert on showers nor on electricity but I'm certain they shouldn't go together like that.

perfectly safe as long as its on pulse. Full stream will close the circuit and kill you

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Did they install an attic bathroom?

I think so - I'd guess they didn't bother with an architect for plans, a structural engineer, planning permission or building control (inspections). A lot of dodgy stuff gets done if its not visible from the street.

How about a 13A fuse replaced with whats probably 100A of wire (we don't use old style fuse wire in plugs !),

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Well how are you supposed to kill the famil with a pitiful amperage like this?!
Darn government regulations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I watched someone review something on YouTube the other day where the fuse in the plug not only wasn't connected in the circuit, but wasn't even a real fuse (technically it would have fused at some amperage but probably not any where near what was on the label).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cakesmith handyman posted:

I watched someone review something on YouTube the other day where the fuse in the plug not only wasn't connected in the circuit, but wasn't even a real fuse (technically it would have fused at some amperage but probably not any where near what was on the label).

Was it a serial-killer-looking guy?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Although I guess the thieves were probably hoping for something more than wine in the cabinet.

According to Hollywood masterpiece, Drop Dead Gorgeous, “We Lutherans use grape Kool-Aid for the blood a Christ!”

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

cakesmith handyman posted:

bigclive maybe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtFqdPbqItY

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

According to Hollywood masterpiece, Drop Dead Gorgeous, “We Lutherans use grape Kool-Aid for the blood a Christ!”

the minister at my friends' parents Presbyterian church changed the brand of grape juice and the old folks were terrified it was wine.

later, they had a schism over ordaining gay people (I think those old old people were all dead by then, so these were newly old old people)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yeah if I've watched anyone taking apart dodgy cheap electronics it's generally BigClive, should have guessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Man, giant honking UK mains plugs look so odd with something delicate like Christmas lights.