Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
there should be a law that lets you use ip that isn't yours as long as you do it totally :krad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

what does electric light orchestra have to do with this

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

what does electric light orchestra have to do with this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-840keiiFDE

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daicon_III_and_IV_Opening_Animations

quote:

The Daicon III and IV Opening Animations are two short, anime, 8 mm films that were produced for the 1981 Daicon III and 1983 Daicon IV Nihon SF Taikai conventions. They were produced by a group of amateur animators known as Daicon Film, who would later go on to form the animation studio Gainax. The films are known for their unusually high production values for amateur works and for including numerous references to otaku culture, as well as its unauthorized appropriations of both the Playboy Bunny costume and the 1981 song "Twilight" by the English rock band ELO.

BTW, that song Twilight totally got me into ELO and I devoured their whole discography after I heard it.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 29, 2020

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

I get your point but it's worth noting that Daicon IV was not a commercial endeavor.

quote:

Despite the questionable legal status of the works, the production of Daicon III resulted in debts that were repaid by selling video tapes and 8mm reels of the production, the profits of which went to the production of Daicon IV

It had a positive gross.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Stairmaster posted:

It had a positive gross.

ok

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean making money does in fact make it a commercial product

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Fair enough.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

when I made that dumb joke I did not expect that ELO was actually involved

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

when I made that dumb joke I did not expect that ELO was actually involved

Welcome to the 21st century, where even the most ridiculous drive-by joke turns out to be a thing that has happened in recent memory.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

you are cucked by the commodity form and you dont evne know it

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Stairmaster posted:

you are cucked by the commodity form and you dont evne know it

=]

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Spent the break rewatching the show, Death/EoE, and the Rebuilds. In the case of 3.0 it was my first time going back since seeing it for the first time.

While I have defended Dance Like You Want to Win to the hilt in previous years, it combined with Magma Diver is the definite nadir of the show. The end sequence owns and there are a scattering of good Asuka character bits but it's weirdly paced and structured in a way that feels like an almost different show. The animation quality also seems to suddenly go to hell and just about every is off model.

Death is really cool and feels like an almost wholly new experience because of how it is edited, I can't think of any other attempt at a recap that employs so many non-linear transitions that still are able to stay narratively cohesive.

End of Evangelion is so god damned great. Twenty minutes or so from the ending to and of course including the final scene is just incredible. If it's not the best anime film of the 90s it would have to at least be in the conversation.

The Rebuilds are a lot more awkward than I remembered when juxtaposed immediately with the series and EoE, losing so many slower, quieter, introspective sequences that would have started happening after Asuka's introduction (2.0 is almost entirely re-done fights and the cook off subplot) makes it flow just kind of weirdly. 1.0 is pretty much exactly what it says on the tin, but one thing I definitely felt rewatching the show is that the first six episodes are also some of the best animated ones which just further enforces my belief that it's silly to consider 1.0 a replacement introduction because really what are you getting in return? I enjoyed 2.0 greatly when I first saw it but I think seeing it by itself far removed from the show makes the things about that are extremely cool (basically all of the new scenes or twists on existing ones like catching the slap) more obvious whereas watching it immediately after the show is just kind of an odd experience.

And finally 3.0 was far more palatable when I knew what to expect, though I do still think it gets tied up in action set pieces that go a bit too long, time that could have been spent on maybe developing some of the new characters (Toji's sister is there just for the timeskip twist and feels superfluous overall). The middle Kaworu stretch is probably the best stuff in all of the Rebuilds since it is willing to take its time for a change. Finally I get what they were going for in the first third of the movie but it's still just so awkward, and not in a way that I feel is wholly intentional with a "it's just like if you were in Shinji's shows" perspective. But whatever, at this point obviously that is water under the bridge and it's part of the setting, and not being caught completely by surprise by it helps it flow a bit better. Looking forward to 3.0+1.0 a lot.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Interesting print available here. I backed the artist's kickstarter years ago and have a couple dozen of his prints on my walls. He does a lot of science fiction and video game themed art in the ukiyo-e style.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I just got my boyfriend started on Evangelion and man do I feel like a shithead every time he has a question and I just stammer “uh, wait and see I guess?” or “yeah, they ain’t gonna bother to explain that part”.

he is absolutely hooked though! massive relief since I always worry that he’d hate it.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I got my friend into the show and he's loving it so far. His favorite poo poo in the world is stuff like Twin Peaks (especially season 3), and so he's really enjoying the playful pastiches mixed with sinister and beautiful content. We've entered the Asuka block of episodes, and he said this:
"This show is constantly trying to convince that it sucks, but it's way too well-made for that."

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Beefstew posted:

I got my friend into the show and he's loving it so far. His favorite poo poo in the world is stuff like Twin Peaks (especially season 3), and so he's really enjoying the playful pastiches mixed with sinister and beautiful content. We've entered the Asuka block of episodes, and he said this:
"This show is constantly trying to convince that it sucks, but it's way too well-made for that."
That's something that I've never thought about but I'm guessing the crossover between fans of NGE and Twin Peaks is HUGE.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

That's something that I've never thought about but I'm guessing the crossover between fans of NGE and Twin Peaks is HUGE.

In my experience, yes. The Venn diagram of NGE, Twin Peaks, and Dune fans is like a circle.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't think I've ever met a single person that likes Dune lol while I know tons of people that like both NGE and Twin Peaks.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
So when the 4th movie comes out I'm gonn have to wait like 6 months until I get a reasonable version of it with english subtitles, right? Maybe less than that? I can't remember how long it was after 3.33 came out that I saw it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SHISHKABOB posted:

So when the 4th movie comes out I'm gonn have to wait like 6 months until I get a reasonable version of it with english subtitles, right? Maybe less than that? I can't remember how long it was after 3.33 came out that I saw it.
Probably. Seems it took about 6 months for the Japanese blu-ray of 3.33 to come out.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Raxivace posted:

I don't think I've ever met a single person that likes Dune lol while I know tons of people that like both NGE and Twin Peaks.

i like dune and twin peaks and nge. though it is also true that i am only an entity on the internet and not actually a physicall thing that you could "meet", sooo...

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Raxivace posted:

I kinda liked the Frank Herbert-penned novels when I was in high school. I don't think I've read one of them after... like 2005 or something.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sally posted:

i like dune and twin peaks and nge. though it is also true that i am only an entity on the internet and not actually a physicall thing that you could "meet", sooo...

Wark Say posted:

I kinda liked the Frank Herbert-penned novels when I was in high school. I don't think I've read one of them after... like 2005 or something.

Are both of you over the age of 35? I wonder if its a generational thing.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
no i aint that old yet :shrug:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm 29 and I think Dune was a cool book and I also kinda like evangelion! I've only seen the first few episodes of twin peaks but it was good too.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
my dad had a copy of Dune which is what exposed me to it. caught the movie on a scifi channel late night.. the Lynch one.

Twin Peaks i'd heard about a lot hanging out with fellow hipsters. when i found it was more Davud Lynch and Kyle Mclaughclin i tracked it down

i only around to NGE a couple of years ago

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
I love all 3 and I'm below 25. Never read the dune sequels tho

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Raxivace posted:

Are both of you over the age of 35? I wonder if its a generational thing.
Born in 1985, so technically not yet! :mmmhmm:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Raxivace posted:

I'm referring to the book, not the movie. Although the movie can be appreciated as a work of camp.

neosloth posted:

I love all 3 and I'm below 25. Never read the dune sequels tho

I think the first 4 Dune books are incredible. You can stop after that.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Beefstew posted:

I think the first 4 Dune books are incredible. You can stop after that.

Book 1 is sublime. I wasn't a fan of 2 or 3 but appreciate what the author was going for... okus they were necessary to set up 4 as this really weird coda to the first three.

i have no idea what the gently caress happened with 5 and only made it through a third of 6 before tossing it

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Dune 4 rules, it's as good as 1 and one of the strangest things I've ever read.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I'm 30, I've adored NGE since I was 14, I finally got around to reading the original Dune when I was 25 (it was good and I enjoyed it and I'll check out the sequels eventually), and I've never seen Twin Peaks

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Beefstew posted:

I got some friends into the show and just kept some notes on questions they had for each episode that I promised I would answer after they finished watching the whole thing. Helped a bunch to answer many questions lol

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Based on how masterfully all the hidden agenda intrigues were woven together I'm pretty sure Herbert had seen some poo poo during his time with the newspaper.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I love Evangelion and Twin Peaks has been on my list of things to watch for ages now. I should really get around to that.

I tried reading Dune a while back and couldn't get into it. It was a bit too dry for my tastes.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vandar posted:

I tried reading Dune a while back and couldn't get into it. It was a bit too dry for my tastes.

Wear a stillsuit next time, it’s a desert planet.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Paul, get on the worm!

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

:captainpop:

The Dead Sea Scrolls were planted by the Bene Gesserit.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

hahaha drat