Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Tezer posted:

Why was the fixture getting hot? Generally the only thing that can kick out real heat in a fixture is the wrong wattage incandescent bulb. I'm curious about that.

Without getting into niche brands, here are some options. You can also check the line card for your local lighting store, those places are typically good at avoiding the worst of the worst brands:

Expensive - Hubbardton Forge
Pricy - Rejuvenation, Schoolhouse, WAC
Affordable - Kichler, Generation (these brands have expensive options too, but they have a low-end that is largely missing from the above brands)

Kuzco is a reasonably affordable brand if you like 'modern' styling, but I think 100% of their catalog is integrated LED which I avoid because you need to replace the entire fixture if there is an issue (ie - no bulb).

No idea why it was getting hot. As far as I can tell, our current light fixtures in there are integrated LED themselves. They have tiny bulbs. I’ll look again and take a photo but I’m fairly sure they aren’t incandescent—though the heat makes me wonder if I’m wrong. The bulbs have never been changed in six years (the house was built in ‘14) and they all still work, plus I’ve never seen a household incandescent in that size and style but then I’ve never had to look. That’s why my guess is they were pre-installed in the fixture and integrated in the expectation they’d never need to be changed, leading me to think they are LED. But LED don’t give off that kind of heat, only toward the base of the bulb where the electronics are. But they are brighter than most run-of-the-mill household 60w replacement LEDs so who the gently caress knows.

I believe whatever generated the heat caused the (plastic) ring to come loose and the weight of the glass shades did the rest. It seems like a problem that could be chalked up to inevitable, or possibly a design flaw. It’s weird it happened to both in the same week, as if they reached some kind of breaking point. We are good about turning off lights in our house when we leave a room, and we don’t turn them on if we don’t need to. When it happened on my wife’s vanity fixture, she’d been in there maybe twenty minutes. Same for me—giving my son a bath for fifteen or twenty minutes. No others have fallen out.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I got a bookend from a fancy design shop. Unfortunately, it’s poorly designed.

It seems like as an afterthought, the designer added a piece of double sided silicone tape and superglued it to the bottom to resist sliding. I think the tape is ugly. It’s already gummed up with dust and won’t stay grippy forever. Also, it raises the book-side of the bookend up, which makes it prone to tipping over to the front or back, parallel to the pages of each book.

It’s made from eighth inch thick enameled steel pipe. It’s very heavy, but inherently unstable and also prone to tipping toward the books if one is taken out. It takes barely any force to tip over in any of three directions if it isn’t braced with a book, and if that happened it would probably fall straight through the glass shelf I have it on right now.

It was a gift and I’m committed to keeping it. It needs some counterweight in the bottom, and a more even and less ugly grip on the bottom.

My current plan is to cut some L shaped rubber strip and place it all around the bottom opening as a grip, so it evenly supports the bookend but is just barely visible, then force fit in a container of sand or pennies that’s just the right diameter?

How would you fix this?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'd put a poo poo-ton of lead weights in the bottom 1" and plug the end with a big round rubber foot composed of some softer, grippy rubber.

Glue the rubber disc in so only a millimeter or so protrudes, and drop sinkers, shot or other lead weights in through the top until it'll stand up to a cat rubbing on it. Then stuff something / pour epoxy in the topside to keep it secure

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 29, 2020

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

kreeningsons posted:

It seems like as an afterthought, the designer added a piece of double sided silicone tape and superglued it to the bottom to resist sliding. I think the tape is ugly. It’s already gummed up with dust and won’t stay grippy forever. Also, it raises the book-side of the bookend up, which makes it prone to tipping over to the front or back, parallel to the pages of each book.

It’s made from eighth inch thick enameled steel pipe. It’s very heavy, but inherently unstable and also prone to tipping toward the books if one is taken out. It takes barely any force to tip over in any of three directions if it isn’t braced with a book, and if that happened it would probably fall straight through the glass shelf I have it on right now.

It was a gift and I’m committed to keeping it. It needs some counterweight in the bottom, and a more even and less ugly grip on the bottom.

My current plan is to cut some L shaped rubber strip and place it all around the bottom opening as a grip, so it evenly supports the bookend but is just barely visible, then force fit in a container of sand or pennies that’s just the right diameter?

How would you fix this?

Lead weights are good, you can get wheel weights pretty cheap to peel and stick. Tungsten is pricier but also really heavy for its volume. You could plug up halfway through and epoxy the weights in, and then when it has cured, drill some circular indentations into the epoxy for rubber feet.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Good ideas, thank you. Yeah, I should carve/cast a single stopper for the end out of rubber/epoxy, instead of fussing with the rubber strip like my previous plan. Actually I think a hockey puck might be close to the perfect size.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Wheel weights would be good since they self adhere and can be placed along the inner diameter.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I have a pickle and need some advice.

I'm trying to mount a headboard (which is just a 60"x30" piece of reclaimed wood). Originally it was mounted to a home-made frame, but I'd like to mount it to the wall of my condo.

The wall I'm looking to mount it to is about a 1/4" of drywall with concrete block directly behind it, with a small air gap between the drywall and concrete.

I was thinking of using a french cleat/z-hangar to mount the headboard. What fasteners would be best for the wall, concrete screws? I have an old dewalt 12v drill which cannot drill into the concrete, I'm guessing I'd need to rent a concrete drill for the pilot holes?

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

MA-Horus posted:

I have a pickle and need some advice.

I'm trying to mount a headboard (which is just a 60"x30" piece of reclaimed wood). Originally it was mounted to a home-made frame, but I'd like to mount it to the wall of my condo.

The wall I'm looking to mount it to is about a 1/4" of drywall with concrete block directly behind it, with a small air gap between the drywall and concrete.

I was thinking of using a french cleat/z-hangar to mount the headboard. What fasteners would be best for the wall, concrete screws? I have an old dewalt 12v drill which cannot drill into the concrete, I'm guessing I'd need to rent a concrete drill for the pilot holes?

Yeah tapcons, aim to get 1" into the concrete. You'll need at least a hammer drill, but renting a nice rotary one will make it that much easier. You can also buy cheap ones (<=$50 bucks) that can do the job, and any other minor tasks you might have. I know where I am renting a hammer drill for a day is half that anyways.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Buy, use twice, return. I’m not going to pretend I’m above that.

The Swinemaster
Dec 28, 2005

kreeningsons posted:

How would you fix this?

If it was me, I would attach a sacrificial book to the vertical pipe piece. That way it will always stand on its own and be more stable.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Does anyone have any experience with siamp toilets? I want to get in and adjust the float on this one but I can't get it to budge, so I don't know if it's clipped in or if I push it up like most in wall toilets. I hate in wall toilets.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Any recommendations for replacing simple basement hanging bulb lights in an unfinished basement? Right now I am thinking just recessed led can lights in denser placement. It's dark now and I want it much brighter.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

For unfinished spaces I’d recommend something like these, or the much more expensive but more reliable Feit or Cree products in the same vein.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerc...83141/206028970

Five of these light my entire 25x30 basement, for reference.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Seconding Corgski's recommendation, unfinished basement ceilings are usually pretty low, which makes can lights not light up the space worth a poo poo, plus they're kinda flimsy and subject to damage if left in an unfinished space.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

corgski posted:

For unfinished spaces I’d recommend something like these, or the much more expensive but more reliable Feit or Cree products in the same vein.

I can't speak for relative quality but I got these cheap LED lights on amazon and I've got zero complaints. Basement is much more pleasant than it was with a few old incandescents scattered about.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Cool, thanks, I was leaning towards those bigger strips anyway and I can get them pretty flush to a joist to stick out way less than the stupid light globes we have here now.

PENETRATION TESTS
Dec 26, 2011

built upon dope and vice
So my electrician is suggesting we remove this here stud on my upper floor to install a sub panel. Cool. Is this a hire-a-structural-engineer situation or can any random handyman slap some extra studs onto the left and right side and add a header on top and call it a day?

In a slightly more complicated question, my basement has a wholly unnecessary soffit. And all those boards running left to right across the underside of the ceiling were just there to tack the old ceiling tiles to... right? Is this he sort of thing I want a structural engineer for? Will they even be interested in these petty questions?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

1. Unsure, how far is the next closest stud?

2. Those are 'furring strips' and are 100% there to attach ceiling tile too no need to ask an engineer.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

corgski posted:

Elviscat posted:

Seconding Corgski's recommendation, unfinished basement ceilings are usually pretty low, which makes can lights not light up the space worth a poo poo, plus they're kinda flimsy and subject to damage if left in an unfinished space.

To piggy back on this:

Is there anything special about installing lights like this in a crawl space (versus a basement)? I'd love to do something better than the single bulb we have to light our entire crawl space. It seems like it'd be pretty simple to replace the existing light with a junction box and then install a switch + 5-7 of those lights.

Can I just run romex between all the fixtures?

Bonus question: is there anything that'd be smart to do for future-proofing? Like running conduit (flexible metallic if at all), or installing a junction box for each light? It's a crawl space so this is probably way overkill, but I'm always willing to spend a little extra time/money up front to save future me a headache.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 30, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

PENETRATION TESTS posted:

So my electrician is suggesting we remove this here stud on my upper floor to install a sub panel. Cool. Is this a hire-a-structural-engineer situation or can any random handyman slap some extra studs onto the left and right side and add a header on top and call it a day?

Reframing a single stud on an interior wall is almost certainly within the engineering capabilities of a decent carpenter.

DaveSauce posted:

To piggy back on this:

Is there anything special about installing lights like this in a crawl space (versus a basement)? I'd love to do something better than the single bulb we have to light our entire crawl space. It seems like it'd be pretty simple to replace the existing light with a junction box and then install a switch + 5-7 of those lights.

Can I just run romex between all the fixtures?

Bonus question: is there anything that'd be smart to do for future-proofing? Like running conduit (flexible metallic if at all), or installing a junction box for each light? It's a crawl space so this is probably way overkill, but I'm always willing to spend a little extra time/money up front to save future me a headache.

You can do that, just be careful with clearances and whatnot.

In open framing with no drywall running conduit doesn't buy you anything, it's always going to be easier to drill holes and run romex, especially compared to fishing wires through flex.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

PENETRATION TESTS posted:

If it's non-load bearing you only need a 2x header installed flat as long as it's within 24 inches of the surface above. If it's bearing, refer to table R602.7(1) of the 2015 IRC which is the code that most US jurisdictions currently use. So ya, your handyman can do it, but ask them "why did you choose that size header?" and if they don't know, then you've got a problem.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Tezer posted:

If it's non-load bearing you only need a 2x header installed flat as long as it's within 24 inches of the surface above. If it's bearing, refer to table R602.7(1) of the 2015 IRC which is the code that most US jurisdictions currently use. So ya, your handyman can do it, but ask them "why did you choose that size header?" and if they don't know, then you've got a problem.

If the stud is replaced with two studs on either side of the new sub panel (assuming the panel is 14.5"), why would he need a header? If anything it would add to the support of the top plate compared to the current setup.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

ROJO posted:

If the stud is replaced with two studs on either side of the new sub panel (assuming the panel is 14.5"), why would he need a header? If anything it would add to the support of the top plate compared to the current setup.

The entire wall isn't open top to bottom, so two new studs can't be installed, but a header can. There's a lot of ways to reframe the wall for this purpose, but given the existing extent of the demolition the installation of a header is probably the easiest.

My comment mostly advocates that the op ensure that the handyman is making a deliberate decision (whatever that decision is), as opposed to just sticking some wood in there and calling it a day.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I need a new pressure switch and other random well equipment as well as some big blue filter housings (or off-brand equivalent) that doesn’t cost a million dollars each. Any goons on well water have a preferred online store?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The little fuzzy purple strips that keep the "motorhead" on my Dyson from scraping up my floors have worn off. Now, it just scrapes up my floors. What would be a good something to replace them with?

caution: gross vacuum cleaner pic

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Is this an "E17" lightbulb?

I have tried to do the research but I have no idea about lightbulbs but the previous owner of this house decided that none of the fixtures should use the normal loving base that all lightbulbs in my life up until this point used. I would really appreciate a link to a lightbulb disambiguation site with measurements if y'all know of any, because this is one of literally six fixtures in this house with nonsense bulbs (and of course none of them match this one).

Here's a shot of the base, but I'm not sure if it useful. Googling the words on it just indicated that "this is probably a light bulb base" and not anything about size.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

ROJO posted:

With the age of that house there's a good chance that's balloon framed, or at least not framed to modern conventions, which is why it really needs someone to look at it.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

The little fuzzy purple strips that keep the "motorhead" on my Dyson from scraping up my floors have worn off. Now, it just scrapes up my floors. What would be a good something to replace them with?

The Dyson website has a lot of replacement brush bars, but if that or their customer service can’t help, or you don’t wanna get a whole new officially licensed sole plate or whatever, you could try ... stick on brush weatherstripping? Not sure on the height of the pile on the dyson, but I think you can get weatherstripping that’s a quarter inch tall and above. Also, not really sure how that part fits into the sole plate, but maybe stick on furniture sliders if you can find the right shape?

The official dyson part will probably perform the best, cause weatherstripping might not be able to seal the plate against the floor for max suction? But it would probably work to an extent.

edit: you’re talking about the stationary purple strip A right? Not the rotating brush B? Sorry for unintentionally drawing a dumb face on this pic. If it’s the rotating part, I would not gently caress with a high RPM moving part like that and would just get an official replacement.

kreeningsons fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 31, 2020

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Order a beater bar. On most vacuums, they're a wear part. Order a couple belts while you're at it.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Building supply place is telling me that triple pane windows are now a code requirement in Ontario as of Jan 1st, which I can't imagine is true. I'm sure that there is a minimum insulation factor that has to be met, and triple pane is an easy way to get it.

Now if there is a certain number that can be met with double pane low E windows I can have nearly as much insulation while saving thousands.

Anyone in the know? I'm phone posting so an exhaustive search for the answer is exhausting.

P.s. is strapping between foam insulation and vinyl siding now code as well?

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Blistex posted:

Building supply place is telling me that triple pane windows are now a code requirement in Ontario as of Jan 1st, which I can't imagine is true. I'm sure that there is a minimum insulation factor that has to be met, and triple pane is an easy way to get it.

Looks like Ontario specifies window thermal performance as a u-factor (pretty typical), but specifically the SI u-factor not the imperial u-factor. So you've got to look at the units - any data in Btu/ft2 is not right, you are looking for w/m2 (there's more to the unit for u-factor, but that difference alone will let you know whether you're looking at SI or imperial data).

I'm not familiar with Ontario's building code so I don't want to point you at a specific document, since I may be looking at the wrong one, but the code I pulled up has a u-factor of either 2.0 or 1.7 depending on what design temperature you're specifying for. There is reference to another supplemental document that overrides though, so don't assume I'm giving you the right u factor here, you need to look it up yourself/ask your vendor to help.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Tezer posted:

Looks like Ontario specifies window thermal performance as a u-factor (pretty typical), but specifically the SI u-factor not the imperial u-factor. So you've got to look at the units - any data in Btu/ft2 is not right, you are looking for w/m2 (there's more to the unit for u-factor, but that difference alone will let you know whether you're looking at SI or imperial data).

I'm not familiar with Ontario's building code so I don't want to point you at a specific document, since I may be looking at the wrong one, but the code I pulled up has a u-factor of either 2.0 or 1.7 depending on what design temperature you're specifying for. There is reference to another supplemental document that overrides though, so don't assume I'm giving you the right u factor here, you need to look it up yourself/ask your vendor to help.

Like a balloon, and... something bad happens!

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
I hooked up my washer and water just instantly pours into the drum nonstop. This is top-loading Whirlpool that I got from a salvage place. Is it just shot or can it be fixed?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Christ that could be anything.

Especially without more details, such as year model and serial number

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Christoph posted:

I hooked up my washer and water just instantly pours into the drum nonstop. This is top-loading Whirlpool that I got from a salvage place. Is it just shot or can it be fixed?

It's probably the fill valve and without more information who knows. If you can return it do that.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Thanks! Turns out it has like 3 other annoying problems so it's out.

Also, while installing it, one of the wall spigots (the hot water) is now leaking. It's one of the old fashioned ones. If anyone could point me to a simple guide on how to fix it I'd be very appreciative. Though I suppose step one is finding the shut off valve (just bought the house so I'm not yet familiar with it)

(I put the hose down the drain to make sure it didn't end up dripping over the side)

Right after this picture was taken I accidentally locked myself out and had to kick in the door. It's been a fun year so far.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Christoph posted:

Also, while installing it, one of the wall spigots (the hot water) is now leaking. It's one of the old fashioned ones. If anyone could point me to a simple guide on how to fix it I'd be very appreciative. Though I suppose step one is finding the shut off valve (just bought the house so I'm not yet familiar with it)

(I put the hose down the drain to make sure it didn't end up dripping over the side)

Right after this picture was taken I accidentally locked myself out and had to kick in the door. It's been a fun year so far.

I don't know the fix/guide for a permanent fix, this is the cheap part I bought to stop the leak at the source (the spigot/valve) when I was in between washing machines (both worked no problem with the leaky spigot): https://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-3-4-in-Threaded-Hose-Caps-2-Pack-27902/100659301

The correct fix is probably replacing the spigot with a new one but with the old rear end looking age right there you might not be able to unscrew it and that's when the fun and multiple pipes being replaced starts.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Christoph posted:

Minute three in this video.

Be aware you might break your valve and have to replace it doing this.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
We had a power outage at our place, and when the utility provider said they fixed it, our lights were very dim, and the major appliances weren't functioning. After cycling every breaker on or panel (at the recommendation of my dad) nothing changed, so I called the provider, and 8 hours later I have power. Yay.

Problem is, the lights are all now brighter in every fixture, except the ones that have LED bulbs, than they have been the last few years.

The utility people on the phone said something about one leg probably having been out (before they actually showed up), and I conceptually understand how two phase wiring is a thing, but I'm not sure how this would mean that all the lights are now brighter. I don't have a multimeter, nor do I have readings from one before the outage, but I'd like some opinions from more knowledgeable people that my house isn't about to burn down with my wife and I in it. I will be calling an electrician in the morning, unless otherwise

Would the utility company fixing a loose connection (or whatever they did) cause my lights to be brighter than they have been in a few years, or will I be waking up to my smoke alarms going off?

Imasalmon fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Asking for a friend: is it against code for a bathroom door to open into the adjoining bedroom and not into the bathroom? In Canada if that matters. The door currently hits the door to the shower or something undesirable like that. Thanks.