Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Croatoan posted:

It worked quite well. This was my first try at scotch eggs

Those look great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I've never had a scotch egg. i may need to take a run at making them because I've wanted to try one for probably 2 decades now

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I like cooking (:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I am sleep deprived. That's my excuse for skimming off not just the fat but a lot of the gelatin from my stock :negative:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Gelatin doesn’t separate out in stock normally. If you refrigerate the whole thing you should have a layer of fat on top of brown jello all the way down.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Venison roast went in the oven about 2 hours ago at 325, nice and slow. Probably needs another hour to finish up. Every butter spot is a whole clove shoved inside the meat and packed with butter. Gravy with the drippings should work out nicely.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
So it’s been a poo poo year and the charcuterie thread has been inactive for almost 2 but i have been buying whole pigs recently (and a whole cow) and have started doing lots of salamis and other cured goodies.

These were finished up this year and consumed.

Guanciale!

Pancetta!

Lomo!

Braseola!

Tons of bacon of all flavors

Hot dogs!

A country ham (this took 18 months)

Multiple head cheeses

And I am currently working on multiple batches of fermented salami shown below fermenting. They should be done in 30-90 days

A strohlgino from the culatello I have curing right now

Something I call Six Reaper, seasoned with six different pepper powders including Carolina reaper

And a thicker chipotle garlic seasoned salami

Anyone else been working on any cured meats this crazy year?

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 30, 2020

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So it’s been a poo poo year and the charcuterie thread has been inactive for almost 2 but i have been buying whole pigs recently (and a whole cow) and have started doing lots of salamis and other cured goodies.

Guanciale!

Pancetta!

Lomo!

Braseola!

Hot dogs!

Multiple head cheeses

And I am currently working on multiple batches of fermented salami shown below fermenting. They should be done in 30-90 days

Something I call Six Reaper, seasoned with six different pepper powders including Carolina reaper

Sigh. I'm so envious of all of this.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Guanciale!

Pancetta!

Lomo!

Braseola!

Hot dogs!

Multiple head cheeses

Nice, where are you drying all that, you got a root cellar or something?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Stringent posted:

Nice, where are you drying all that, you got a root cellar or something?

My house is 120 years old so the basement is field stone so it’s damp and cool down there so I have a wooden closet I built for finishing whole muscle salumi. For the first bit of drying and for the salami I have a big rear end chest freezer I converted to a curing chamber that stays at 55 degrees and 80% RH.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Very cool.

:dadjoke:

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I’ve gone mostly vegetarian the last few years but damned if that isn’t some impressive home charcuterie. Beautiful.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

if you need a 12th man to eat any of that, let me know. beautiful work!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I don't have the room for a charcuterie setup, but I have stepped up my fermenting game. I did a lot of pickles (the spicy watermelon rind turned out especially well), started making vinegar, and made my first batch of bitters.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Errant Gin Monks posted:

lots of salamis and other cured goodies

I’m looking forward to hearing how you intend to get these past UK Customs and into my mouth

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Errant Gin Monks posted:

My house is 120 years old so the basement is field stone so it’s damp and cool down there so I have a wooden closet I built for finishing whole muscle salumi. For the first bit of drying and for the salami I have a big rear end chest freezer I converted to a curing chamber that stays at 55 degrees and 80% RH.

Is there a particular book or resource you'd recommend for getting into this kind of stuff?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Heya thread, are there any good suggestions for low carb breakfast foods? My brother wants to get together once a month for breakfast (homemade for now cause, you know) and he’s been doing a low carb diet so I’m kinda struggling to think of much that isn’t just, like fruit salad or maybe quiche?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Last Celebration posted:

Heya thread, are there any good suggestions for low carb breakfast foods? My brother wants to get together once a month for breakfast (homemade for now cause, you know) and he’s been doing a low carb diet so I’m kinda struggling to think of much that isn’t just, like fruit salad or maybe quiche?

They aren’t super low carb but they are low GI: chickpea flour pancakes. My wife has them most mornings. My son has them done times. He’s diabetic and when he has GF bread his blood sugar spikes; it stays pretty flat when he has the pancake. Usually topped with tahini abs date syrup, which is an amazing combination. For one, mix 1/3 cup each flour and water, dash of salt. You can add cardamom, turmeric etc if desired. Cook on medium with a thin coat of oil (less is more). Very easy.

Otherwise eggs, breakfast meats or fish, etc eg smoked salmon and scrambled eggs.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

In addition to what therattle said, maybe a nice miso soup or something. Thinking back to hotel breakfasts in Tokyo it was always a nice thing to have in the morning.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Last Celebration posted:

I'd skip the quiche, as they need a crust and instead of trying to work your way around that by making some subpar low carb crust using non-wheat flours or whatever, I'd go whole hog with frittatas. You can make them with literally anything! One of my favorites is onion, asparagus, mushrooms, and cheese. Saute the veggies until soft, then dump a mess of beaten eggs and shredded cheese over them. Make sure the veggies are well-distributed in the pan, as you're going to want it to cook undisturbed over medium-low heat until the bottom layer of egg is mostly set and there's just a little jiggle of wet egg on the top side. Grate some more cheese on top (I particularly love pecorino for this) and toss under the broiler until nice and golden brown. It'll inflate a little during the broiling process, so let it sit and deflate for a minute or two when it comes out. Also make sure you use a fair amount of fat to cook the veggies, even with a nonstick pan, since you want it to slide right out of the pan onto a waiting cutting board. Slice and serve!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Midniter posted:

I'd skip the quiche, as they need a crust and instead of trying to work your way around that by making some subpar low carb crust using non-wheat flours or whatever, I'd go whole hog with frittatas. You can make them with literally anything! One of my favorites is onion, asparagus, mushrooms, and cheese. Saute the veggies until soft, then dump a mess of beaten eggs and shredded cheese over them. Make sure the veggies are well-distributed in the pan, as you're going to want it to cook undisturbed over medium-low heat until the bottom layer of egg is mostly set and there's just a little jiggle of wet egg on the top side. Grate some more cheese on top (I particularly love pecorino for this) and toss under the broiler until nice and golden brown. It'll inflate a little during the broiling process, so let it sit and deflate for a minute or two when it comes out. Also make sure you use a fair amount of fat to cook the veggies, even with a nonstick pan, since you want it to slide right out of the pan onto a waiting cutting board. Slice and serve!

Frittatas is a terrific suggestion. All I’d add is get the pan hot when the eggs go in then set to low heat to cook through.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is there a particular book or resource you'd recommend for getting into this kind of stuff?

Charcuterie and Salumi by Ruhlman are two good places to start. I’m not a huge fan of the recipes and amount of salt he uses but I always just replace it with the 2.5/0.25 ratio of salt/cure. For a deep dive into salami The art of making fermented sausages has tons of info in it but it’s pretty dense.

Some other ones that have interesting recipes like River Cottage curing and smoking handbook and American Charcuterie.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

Pound of bacon on a plate

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Casu Marzu posted:

Pound of bacon on a plate

Maybe some sprigs of parsley for garnish.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

therattle posted:

chickpea flour pancakes with tahini abs date syrup.
Sweet chili sauce is also good.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happiness Commando posted:

Sweet chili sauce is also good.

With tahini? We have sweet chilli jam with peanut butter sometimes.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Chickpea flour pancakes with sweet chili sauce. No tahini though, because tahini is mostly kind of gross. I grudgingly accept it on falafel for moisture and lubrication, but that's pretty much it

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 30, 2020

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happiness Commando posted:

Chickpea flour pancakes with sweet chili sauce. No tahini though, because tahini is mostly kind of gross. I grudgingly accept it on falafel for moisture and lubrication, but that's pretty much it

It is taking all of my restraint to limit myself to saying that I feel differently. (Inside I’m a roiling pit of furious lava).

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

therattle posted:

Frittatas is a terrific suggestion. All I’d add is get the pan hot when the eggs go in then set to low heat to cook through.

Bit fiddlier but soufflés are nice as well, although they do contain some flour.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions, all, never considered frittatas in particular since I honestly despise eggs myself, and I’ll definitely try the pancakes. No go on the plate of bacon though, my brother’s picky about meat in general. :(

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Everything is hanging up now, got some good mold growth on the ones that went in last week. I’m looking forward to getting into these in a few months.

The culatello will be curing until mid feb then it will hang up. I have to start the curing process on the country ham and then start breaking down the next pork leg I have in the freezer. So much to do!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

What's a good rig for hanging meat in the fridge? I want to make some sichuan larou, and hanging it outside is traditional but we have many neighbor cats and I don't think meat will last long outdoors. I'm not sure how to make something that won't collapse in the fridge, though. I have wire hangers, duct tape, and butcher twine available. I'm thinking two triangles, attached at the two base parts and a twine at the upper corner, with the meat hanging from that? But I don't know that it would be strong enough. Feels like it would need some sort of outward tension or the weight of the meat will collapse it.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 31, 2020

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Grand Fromage posted:

What's a good rig for hanging meat in the fridge? I want to make some sichuan larou, and hanging it outside is traditional but we have many neighbor cats and I don't think meat will last long outdoors. I'm not sure how to make something that won't collapse in the fridge, though. I have wire hangers, duct tape, and butcher twine available. I'm thinking two triangles, attached at the two base parts and a twine at the upper corner, with the meat hanging from that? But I don't know that it would be strong enough. Feels like it would need some sort of outward tension or the weight of the meat will collapse it.

Really you can just put it on a cooling rack and rotate it every day.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
My cheese grater is this atrocious plastic piece of poo poo and i'm looking to upgrade because I try to live by the Sam Vimes Theory of Economics. Is there an equipment thread I am drunkenly missing and/or can any of you food nerds recommend a good quality cheese grater? Thanks!

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Desert Bus posted:

My cheese grater is this atrocious plastic piece of poo poo and i'm looking to upgrade because I try to live by the Sam Vimes Theory of Economics. Is there an equipment thread I am drunkenly missing and/or can any of you food nerds recommend a good quality cheese grater? Thanks!

There's an equipment thread, but I'm pretty sure the answers are going to be "Microplane", "Microplane", and "Why don't you have a Microplane yet?"

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Microplanes are trash for softer cheeses like mozzarella.

I have a oxo box grater and it does the job just fine for carrots and mozzarella

Edit: for large amounts I use the shredding tool on my food processor

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 31, 2020

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Yond Cassius posted:

There's an equipment thread, but I'm pretty sure the answers are going to be "Microplane", "Microplane", and "Why don't you have a Microplane yet?"

The answer is going to be "I DO have a microplane, thanks!"

This is true though:

Casu Marzu posted:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

I have a oxo box grater and it does the job just fine for carrots and mozzarella

I use a Microplane for hard cheeses, chocolate, garlic, ginger etc. For softer items yeah, a box grater is good, and the grating attachment on the Magimix works wonders for larger quantities.

The plastic surround on the bottom of my box grater has fallen off after 13 years, making it hard to use. It's shame because the grater itself is still good. It has a filler container that is can grate directly into, but only if the surround is attached.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Casu Marzu posted:

get one of the microplanes for soft cheese instead of sticking with the default ones.https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Micropla...09457212&sr=8-6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Standard box graters fit nicely into a 6 pan