Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

angerbeet posted:

Well the first episode leaked and I am finding it difficult to describe how bad this is.

Try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

withak posted:

Is it bad discworld or bad tv?

Both; It is removed of all subtlety and nuance. It's 25 minutes in and Carrot has weepily revealed his story, Angua is demonstrating being a werewolf, Vimes has attempted to piss on Gaspode, a security camera imp has been murdered I guess?? although they apparently painting moving images which are displayed on a tablet????

Both Cheery and Carrot are dwarves in this. Cheery says the first thing they did when moving to the city was to shave and that "dwarves come in all sizes down there."

e: Cheery is also doing the worst Noel Fielding impression.

e2: Oh yes and they manage to ruin Death in like the first minute.

angerbot fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 1, 2021

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Oh my god this is the worst possible treatment of Dibbler. "My bitches will make it quick - make it quick, bitches!"

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

is it hate-watch bad or so-bad-you-can't-hate-watch-it bad

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Sybil: "Vimes, should we call... uh, backup, is that the term you use here?"

Vimes: "Yes, but there's no clacks here."

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

T-man posted:

is it hate-watch bad or so-bad-you-can't-hate-watch-it bad

angerbeet posted:

"My bitches will make it quick - make it quick, bitches!"

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Well that was poo poo, just pure utter dreck, and for some reason with a heavy reliance on "Walk Like an Egyptian" by the Bangles as a musical theme?

Take all of the drunk cop story from Disco Elysium, remove all of the good aspects of that game, sort of glance at a Pratchett novel, set the room on fire and you've got more or less this show.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

It's the most

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kguIY09YjUc

energy imaginable.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

angerbeet posted:

Oh my god this is the worst possible treatment of Dibbler. "My bitches will make it quick - make it quick, bitches!"

I think this one line by itself is enough to make me glad I rejected all further knowledge of this when the trailers dropped. Good god, how do you miss the mark so badly?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Staggy posted:

I think this one line by itself is enough to make me glad I rejected all further knowledge of this when the trailers dropped. Good god, how do you miss the mark so badly?

Simple: be the sort of person who thinks that line is both funny and clever.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Staggy posted:

Sybil then immediately murders the two men

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Staggy posted:

Sounds like a perfectly cromulent adaptation of Quick-Me-Own-Bitches Dibbler to me.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Sybil has a pocket dragon and the dragon winks at the camera.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

is that a dragon in your po-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

im still not sure if this is hatewatch worthy, please help angerbeet-sama

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

T-man posted:

is that a dragon in your po-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

im still not sure if this is hatewatch worthy, please help angerbeet-sama

It immediately falls at the tail end of all Pratchett related media.

It''s not so bad it's good, it's just bad.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

angerbeet posted:

It immediately falls at the tail end of all Pratchett related media.

It''s not so bad it's good, it's just bad.

And it comes out a week after the free livestreaming of a short fan film that was made with the full and enthusiastic consent of Pterry and Rhianna, and that absolutely nailed it.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Something that bugs me is that Ventiari would never have told Night Watch era Vimes to investigate the dragon appearance, he would have told him specifically not to and to leave it to the Day Watch knowing that Vimes would do it anyways. I know it's not a big complaint or anything but it just seems a weird characterization.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
Okay. Okay.

I made it three minutes and twenty eight seconds before I had to turn it off for being that awful.

It was not loving easy.

This consisted of, near as I can remember through the urge to repress, Sam making silly faces at Death. A flashback of Sam helping Carcer murder Buggy Swires who is apparently a grown rear end human man. Sam making more silly faces at Death. Carcer revealing that Sam is a member of his gang who owes Carcer his life (and they might be revolutionaries or something?). Keel making an unprompted speech about how the Watch represents hope and how Sam will change the city some day. A blackout drunk Sam attempting and failing to arrest Gaspode. Gaspode pissing on Sam. Sam attempting and failing to piss on Gaspode.

And honestly it’s even worse than that sounds.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 2, 2021

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

I think I've muttered "I'm so mad" about once a minute, it's a total disgrace. Is it a good hate watch? I guess, if you're someone who likes to watch a thing you care about get absolutely poo poo all over.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Staggy posted:

It's deliberate, they want to tarnish Pratchett so badly no one reads the books.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Relevant Tangent posted:

It's deliberate, they want to tarnish Pratchett so badly no one reads the books.

This isn't a joke, it's like the show is aggressively trying to be to opposite of anything Pratchett wrote

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bingo Bango posted:

I think I've muttered "I'm so mad" about once a minute, it's a total disgrace. Is it a good hate watch? I guess, if you're someone who likes to watch a thing you care about get absolutely poo poo all over.

I just hate to watch things that suck. Like everything the coked-up hobgoblin they got to play Vimes does.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I just hate to watch things that suck. Like everything the coked-up hobgoblin they got to play Vimes does.

Richard Dormer isn't even a bad actor, he's just inexplicably doing the most inexplicably off things at every single moment in this role. It was so bizarre and crummy.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

How Wonderful! posted:

Richard Dormer isn't even a bad actor, he's just inexplicably doing the most inexplicably off things at every single moment in this role. It was so bizarre and crummy.

He looks like they shoved an ounce of coke up his rear end and then only filmed him with a slight fisheye lens for some reason.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Stroth posted:

He looks like they shoved an ounce of coke up his rear end and then only filmed him with a slight fisheye lens for some reason.

He kept reminding me of Vincent d'Onofrio's character in Men in Black, it was so weird. It was like he was desperately trying to separate from his own lower jaw.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

How Wonderful! posted:

He kept reminding me of Vincent d'Onofrio's character in Men in Black, it was so weird. It was like he was desperately trying to separate from his own lower jaw.

Maybe he likes the books and is trying to get the show cancelled.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

watching it now, it's as bad as they said

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

ugh god it's even worse than i thought

not even hatewatchable

at least they kept sybils wig

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Please guys don't do this to yourselves please :negative:

Blueshirt
Sep 27, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As an experiment, I showed it to my darling mother. She's never read any Pratchett, but she is a fiend for any kind of sci-fi or fantasy TV, no matter how dire. Grimm, Sleepy Hollow, Sanctuary, ST: Discovery, she's okay with them all.

Made it six minutes into this before saying "Ugh this is trying way too hard" and wandering off to do a jigsaw.

Who the gently caress is this show for?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So I gather from these reactions that it's not even hatewatchable unless you have a massive masochist streak?
And that it seems to be made solely that they can say that they made a Discworld show and no one watched it so it's obvious that no one likes Discworld and it shouldn't be adapted ever again?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I have to admit I kind of wondered if the Tories literally killed this series out of a desire to erase a great progressive satirist.

The show is sort of the semiotic opposite of "GNU Terry Pratchett".

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Kesper North posted:

I have to admit I kind of wondered if the Tories literally killed this series out of a desire to erase a great progressive satirist.

The show is sort of the semiotic opposite of "GNU Terry Pratchett".

There are many things you can blame on the Tories, a bad tv show is probably not one of them

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

i will blame the tories just watch me.

(it's bbc America's long term plot to make sending the british into the sea seem more appealing)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

T-man posted:

(it's bbc America's long term plot to make sending the british into the sea seem more appealing)

More??

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
are you sure the bitches make it quick line wasn't copypasted from literally any of the Borderlands games, I have no recollection of it but it would be tone-perfect

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Stroth posted:

Oohh, fisheye lens! Sounds zany, and whacky.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

T-man posted:

impossible, the desire to watch the last englishperson slip beneath the waves is already at global maximum

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Drakyn posted:

Quick-Me-Own-Bitches Dibbler

This made me laugh harder than anything in that awful show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

It's just... bizarre. It's like they took a script, chopped it into pieces, threw all the pieces up in the air, and decreed that whatever order they landed in, that's the order they'd be in the show. Punchlines arrive before setups, the first three minutes feature two nested flashbacks to characters who haven't been named yet, and important plot elements are only explained after they stop being relevant.

It has things that are taken from the books, but completely disconnected from their purpose in the books, so that nothing about them makes any sense. At one point Vimes reaches into a traffic camera, which contains an imp that is painting pictures with paint and canvas, but when he takes the imp's canvas it turns into a tiny ipad with full motion video. I can't fathom why anyone thought that made sense. At another point Lord Vetinari, who is played by a woman, is depicted in campaign posters as a man, and retains the "One Man, One Vote" motto from the books: is that a joke? How do you tell?

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 3, 2021