Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol apropos of the signage - the Pratchett live-action show of 'The Watch' starts airing tomorrow as per my Radarr dashboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

has there been a good pratchett TV adaptation yet? i really liked the bbc radio small gods but all the tvs ive seen have been complete garbage

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Hogfather was good.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i remember paul bettany being real good and it being bad apart from that but it’s been a long time since i watched it

e: marc warren not paul bettany

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/wlwdax/status/1345580315927064577

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/shutupmikeginn/status/1345525164792954880

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's kinda gross when they're actually producing milk fyi

also if you spill it in the fridge

(it has waaaaay more fats and sugars than any other animal milk, it's oily and sticky and more difficult to clean)

dsyp

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
i dont like milk. it's oily and sticky and more difficult to clean. and it gets everywhere.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

jesus WEP posted:

has there been a good pratchett TV adaptation yet? i really liked the bbc radio small gods but all the tvs ive seen have been complete garbage

imo they've all been moderately okay in the very modern british television style.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

jesus WEP posted:

good omens was alright imo, if that counts

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I enjoyed hogfather and going postal, but the latter mostly because it had the guy from coupling

I mean it was enjoyable otherwise

also lord vetinari's actor went on to a game of thrones or whatever

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i too enjoyed going postal, but i just like that story and the character in general. it's probably the strongest of the adaptations i've seen, but none of them are really bad. none of them are really great either.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i thought the colour of magic was completely terrible and david jason was a stupid choice to play rincewind, like they literally only put him in because he's A Big Name

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

colour of magic is easily the worst discworld book as well, so it is just a poor choice. all the components of the style is there, but it hasn't found its form yet.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

well the last time we let a super old director resurrect a classic action franchise with a focus on "juice" we got a pretty good movie out of it
yeah but Miller was only 70 by the time it came out

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

colour of magic is easily the worst discworld book as well, so it is just a poor choice. all the components of the style is there, but it hasn't found its form yet.

imma stop you right there and say that raising steam is the worst non-ya discworld book

everything after monstrous regiment is downhill tbh

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

pseudorandom name posted:

Hogfather was good.

yeah i seem to remember liking that

going postal was pretty good too

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Good Omens was good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PCjr sidecar posted:

imma stop you right there and say that raising steam is the worst non-ya discworld book

everything after monstrous regiment is downhill tbh

i read all the discworld books in chronological order a couple years ago, and man, the 2000s hit pratchett like a ton of bricks.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
finally got a chance to watch Le Doulos last night, man what a good flick

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

jesus WEP posted:

i thought the colour of magic was completely terrible and david jason was a stupid choice to play rincewind, like they literally only put him in because he's A Big Name

i don't know if it was the adaptation or the source material (i've not read it), but i thought colour of magic relied way too much on expecting you to find the whimsicalness of it all charming.

just watched going postal today though and thought it was great

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 3, 2021

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Sweevo posted:

i don't know if it was the adaptation or the source material (i've not read it), but i though colour of magic relied way too much on expecting you to find the whimsicalness of it all charming.

that’s pretty true of the book, too, yeah. to be fair to pratchett a light-hearted fantasy setting was still relatively novel at the time. but mostly he got much better (very quickly) at writing characters and stories that stood up on their own rather than just as tours of the whimsical world

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/davescheidt/status/1345492875677675521

lol :eyepop:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

finally got a chance to watch Le Doulos last night, man what a good flick

hell yeah

last night i watched kiss kiss bang bang (first time) and finished the chinese connection/fist of fury (first time in a couple decades). neither were very good. i think i would've liked kkbb when it came out, but it didn't age super well. fist of fury was just kind of lame. it's like a bridge between full-on kung fu movies like five deadly venoms and hong kong action. you don't get the sweet kung fu of the former, but the character development and stuff is only kind of halfway there. it was cool seeing the hk melodrama in prototypical form, but i wish i would've picked shaw brothers i haven't seen to watch

the nunchaku scenes were rad, though. can't take that away from it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

yeah i seem to remember liking that

going postal was pretty good too

im p sure i watched hogfather but cant remember it really

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Achmed Jones posted:

hell yeah

last night i watched kiss kiss bang bang (first time) and finished the chinese connection/fist of fury (first time in a couple decades). neither were very good. i think i would've liked kkbb when it came out, but it didn't age super well. fist of fury was just kind of lame. it's like a bridge between full-on kung fu movies like five deadly venoms and hong kong action. you don't get the sweet kung fu of the former, but the character development and stuff is only kind of halfway there. it was cool seeing the hk melodrama in prototypical form, but i wish i would've picked shaw brothers i haven't seen to watch

the nunchaku scenes were rad, though. can't take that away from it
achmed jones i have another recommendation for you as far as classic noir heist movies: the killing by stanley kubrick (1956)

its not a euro noir but it has the swiss watch pacing and timing that raffifi and the melville films have

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

thank you for the recommendation! I've seen (and thoroughly enjoyed!) that one though :)

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/i/status/1346124235148722176

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/sexyfacts4u/status/1346172576612102146

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
this is the good poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GULC_-0654

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
https://twitter.com/HumanoidHistory/status/1346382892973264897?s=20

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

[joke about it being better than Jackson's version]

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
same but it's not a joke

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

i read all the discworld books in chronological order a couple years ago, and man, the 2000s hit pratchett like a ton of bricks.

i’ve never read one which one should I start with? i’m
not too fazed about correct order unless it really matters

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Guards! Guards! is a fine starting place imo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

start with eric