Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do love how the last line will make sure your brain is completely broken if it hasn't been already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

YggiDee posted:

Hearing the orchestra describe how they have to deliberately play everything off-tempo because Tom Hooper wanted the actors to ~follow their hearts~ instead of following basic loving meter: :stonklol:

Amazing. Simply amazing.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I spent the run-up to the release of Cats telling anyone who would listen that Tom Hooper was a hack who had coasted on the strength of the Les Mis musical and, given much weaker source material, was a dead cert to gently caress it up. I could not have been more wrong.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I don’t dislike Taylor Swift but I gotta vote against Macavity being one of the better songs because she just cannot do sultry. I actually like the cast’s version of Mr. Mistoffelees a lot though, that’s probably second behind MY BOY SKIMBLESHANKS

josh04 posted:

I spent the run-up to the release of Cats telling anyone who would listen that Tom Hooper was a hack who had coasted on the strength of the Les Mis musical and, given much weaker source material, was a dead cert to gently caress it up. I could not have been more wrong.

I have hated Hooper ever since The King’s Speech won Best Picture over The Social Network and I view this film as the universe righting itself, just a little.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pirate Jet posted:

I don’t dislike Taylor Swift but I gotta vote against Macavity being one of the better songs because she just cannot do sultry. I actually like the cast’s version of Mr. Mistoffelees a lot though, that’s probably second behind MY BOY SKIMBLESHANKS

I have hated Hooper ever since The King’s Speech won Best Picture over The Social Network and I view this film as the universe righting itself, just a little.

People gotta realise that the academy awards are based on what makes rich white hollywood people feel jacked off the most.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Pirate Jet posted:

I to this day think The Kings Speech is an excellent film and if nothing else Geoffrey Rush not getting an oscar for it was a huge fuckup. However its a film where its direction is far and away the least important part of it and Hooper has spent the rest of his career proving that he just got lucky by landing David Seidler's screenplay and outstanding actors.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Lid posted:

I to this day think The Kings Speech is an excellent film and if nothing else Geoffrey Rush not getting an oscar for it was a huge fuckup. However its a film where its direction is far and away the least important part of it and Hooper has spent the rest of his career proving that he just got lucky by landing David Seidler's screenplay and outstanding actors.

Yeah, I like The King's Speech but it works because of the script and actors, the directing is whatever.

That Sideways video is very good in terms of explaining why Cats the musical actually does work on a basic level and why Cats the movie absolutely doesn't. Like, Cats the musical is shallow and dumb and just spectacle, but when Grizabella sings 'Touch me' it should make you feel something other than puzzlement.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Okay, I take it back, it's amazing that the visual effects and direction had enough problems that people didn't even realise how bad the music was, and that what are basically rehearsal-level performances were used as final takes.

Like, I don't know much about music, but the takeaway I get is that I somehow know more than Tom Hooper.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/BillCorbett/status/1345075690287185921

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

HopperUK posted:

Like, Cats the musical is shallow and dumb and just spectacle, but when Grizabella sings 'Touch me' it should make you feel something other than puzzlement.

I mean, this was still my experience with the movie.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

yeah when i wasn't distracted by The Nose i remember getting vaguely misty-eyed at Memory

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The one problem with the film’s version of Memory is that there are these random poorly timed cutaways that seem to be there only to break up the single take. Hudson’s performance is great, picking her for the part was a no brainer.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Those long tales were crazy from a matchmove perspective, have to track a character for like 1500 frames at a time. Thank god it wasn’t full body shots

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

That sideways video is veyy good and also reaffirms skimbleshanks as one of the best songs in the movie

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I feel like the completely unnecessary loving with the source material to the detriment of it and the movie, and focusing on giving the big celebrity faces they paid so much money for top billing at all costs may be laying the cards on the table- we know what we're looking at here, and we've seen it so many times before, but never quite in this shape. (Though maybe some hints)

What we have here is a big-name high profile Hollywood adaptation that is obviously contemptuous of and embarrassed by the source material, while at the same time drastically overestimating how they can 'improve' it with their own changes, and shutting out the IP owners entirely. We've seen it over and over again with comic books, with video games, with anime and cartoons, but now with a musical. It's the kind of process that we've seen produce fascinating trainwrecks before, like the Super Mario Bros movie, where the producers clearly don't care and the directors are allowed to run wild with whatever dumbass ideas they come up with because it's just a dumb adaptation of some silly poo poo kids like, right?

You'd think Hollywood would begin to learn their lesson by now, but well, we saw them turn Monster Hunter into an ooh-rah are troops movie that then crashed in China because no one screened for racist jokes. These people are dumb as poo poo.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Les Mis has the same problem, in that the style was a self-conscious attempt to distance itself from what are seen as the embarassing elements of a stage musical, which also leads to the question of why musicals are seen as embarassing. A lot of it is homophobia, honestly.

Musicals are also just a pain in the rear end to transfer to film, which is why there are so few of them that are accurate adaptations. I think my favorite example is that Gene Kelly only agreed to be in On The Town because he wanted to sing the Bernstein score, and it was almost entirely discarded during production (keeping three songs and two instrumentals, from a total of roughly seventeen altogether in the original show).

Hooper's Cats is the Hollywood equivalent of a gambler having diarrhea right before hitting big, then going back and purposefully making GBS threads himself at the roulette table before losing his entire life savings.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I still love Sweeney Todd and Chicago but both have are more countercultural musicals anyway

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tim Burton for all you can say about him seems a natural fit for Sweeney Todd.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Chicago is literally the longest-running American musical. At some point you have to accept that's just the culture

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's more, you don't expect Hollywood to gently caress up musicals to this extent, because musicals aren't weird new poo poo like video games or anime that you can't expect a bunch of coked up boomer suits to be completely unfamiliar with and think is incomprehensible kiddie poo poo. This is establishment cocaine-fuelled crap. Imagine if they'd screwed up Hamilton to this degree.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Hamilton in full 3D by Tom Hooper, coming to theatres Christmas 2023

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Happy Thread posted:

Hamilton in full 3D by Tom Hooper, coming to theatres Christmas 2023

Musical arrangements by Richard Cheese.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's more, you don't expect Hollywood to gently caress up musicals to this extent, because musicals aren't weird new poo poo like video games or anime that you can't expect a bunch of coked up boomer suits to be completely unfamiliar with and think is incomprehensible kiddie poo poo. This is establishment cocaine-fuelled crap. Imagine if they'd screwed up Hamilton to this degree.

The problem wasn't entirely the musical aspect, though Tom Hooper is bad at that in new and innovative ways. Or even that Cats doesn't have much of a story.

The big thing I still feel was that they just never pull off the illusion that these are cats singing and dancing and having weird magic adventures. That was always going to be the main problem, just how to realize the costumes, the makeup, the sets, in such a way that it works for an audience. Hooper really wasn't up to the challenge and everything from the effects to the acting reflects indecision. He never knew what he wanted.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Cats would've been better if it was an animated movie with art from like Castlevania or Blood of Zeus.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Lid posted:

Cats would've been better if it was an animated movie with art from like Castlevania or Blood of Zeus.

Cats would work quite well as a decent 16-bit 2D platformer now that I come to think of it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
press x to TOUCH MEEEE

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The boat sequence is basically a sewer level.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Necrothatcher posted:

Cats would work quite well as a decent 16-bit 2D platformer now that I come to think of it.

And now I want to hear MIDI versions of the soundtrack.

josh04 posted:

The boat sequence is basically a sewer level.

It seems to be the Thames, so.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Today's NYT Magazine Acrostic had "Poet who created Skimbleshanks"* as one of its clues.

*The Railway Cat, the Cat of the Railway Train

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It seems to be the Thames, so.

Adds some real peril to the idea that they might be thrown in!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Honestly I just want a CATS versus fighter.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That is absolutely the only genre that would fit.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And now I want to hear MIDI versions of the soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiRitOeaDIQ&t=3281s

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 4, 2021

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Life to the Everlasting Cat.
Round 1! Vivat!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

Honestly I just want a CATS versus fighter.

https://www.esquire.com/lifestyle/a30756187/cats-musical-video-game/

lmao

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I want to fight as the hanging, disconnected yellow eyes

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Gus would fight like anybody in the Capcom Jojo's Bizarre Adventure game except his stand would be Firefrorefiddle.

Jennyanydots switches between two modes and summons creatures to fight for her.

Macavity is on the roster but he's not actually in the game at all.

Skimbleshanks taps menacingly.

Rum Tum Tugger is just Voldo from Soul Calibur.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Just LOL if you don’t main Skimbleshanks you idiot. You moron.

Alternatively: Victoria only, Jellicle Ball, no items.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
The railway cat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The Rum Tum Tugger is theoretically top tier but he's very hard to pilot.