Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Let's post about tools itt and not posters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Listen, I don't know why it's SO HARD to get a recommendation for DECENT yak shears that won't break when shaving a very thick yak pelt, for under $300. I drove six hours to the yak supply store, why can't you just tell me which yak shears to buy. I need to finish my fence TODAY.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

JEEVES420 posted:

You can't "Own" land, man, its mother earths. Tear down that wall!

TEAR DOWN THE WALL!!!
https://youtu.be/UCEJrG8ixDA?t=191

OP, I M Gei, serious talk, get a piece of 3/4 inch or half inch plywood cut pieces of appropriate dimensions and shove that poo poo in there. If you really want to make it last longer, get some wood preservative and treat the edges. This is the sort of stuff that you use on regular pressure treated wood that you've cut. The pressure treating stuff doesn't penetrate the entire board, so when you cut a 2x (whatever) you're supposed to paint the poo poo on the cut end if its going to be in contact with, or exposed to the elements.

Actually, cut the plywood, and then stain/paint/ or otherwise treat the whole thing with preservative of some sort. There are different kinds, and you'll have to check to see which would work best for your situation. This will last long enough that you won't really care if you have to replace it in 10 years or something.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

more falafel please posted:

Listen, I don't know why it's SO HARD to get a recommendation for DECENT yak shears that won't break when shaving a very thick yak pelt, for under $300. I drove six hours to the yak supply store, why can't you just tell me which yak shears to buy. I need to finish my fence TODAY.
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single poster in possession of an unshaved yak, must be in want of a shed to fill with machine tools to begin construction of a razor factory.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single poster in possession of an unshaved yak, must be in want of a shed to fill with machine tools to begin construction of a razor factory.

And a quarry to be able to sharpen the tools required.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Yak leather is excellent for boots. It's ridiculously durable

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Toolchat was able to get my hands on a 10" delta 15 amp saw the other day. Been keeping an eye out for it or the $600 dewalt. Cant' wait to cut some wood with it.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what are the normal power tool combo deals and what are the good ones? I'm mildly interested in picking up a driver because I am tired of constantly changing bits in my drill and I see home depot doing some kinda buy a drill-driver kit get 2 free tools/batteries deal and idk if that's good or business as usual. If it's good then I'm gonna hop on the makita drill/driver/battery/router deal and never worry about taking my bigger router outta the table again, but if its business as usual I'll just wait for the drill/driver/router/jigsaw combo to exist again because that sounds marginally better to me

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It’s a constant rotation of combo deals. It’s more like the deals are the regular price and they jack up the prices in between for whoever can’t wait for the next bundle.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bloody posted:

what are the normal power tool combo deals and what are the good ones? I'm mildly interested in picking up a driver because I am tired of constantly changing bits in my drill

Are you in a battery system right now that you want to stay in? Because that's usually step one to figuring out which way is worthwhile.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

All of my existing tools have cords, air hoses, or are hand operated

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bloody posted:

All of my existing tools have cords, air hoses, or are hand operated

Ahhh, okay. You were talking about a drill so I wanted to make sure.

Any of the major brands will do you just fine as a homeowner. Choose your color.

I've filled in my battery tools with refurb/bare tools on ebay. It's amazingly cheap once you've got your basics + battery and charger.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
For 18v/20v do whatever I guess but for 12v I don't see anyone really competing effectively with Milwaukee. They have so much variety.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Wrar posted:

For 18v/20v do whatever I guess but for 12v I don't see anyone really competing effectively with Milwaukee. They have so much variety.

And if you go with their 12V, there's a combo charger that'll do both 12 and 18V. I love my Makita 18V stuff, but if I were starting over, I'd seriously consider going red across the board. I've got a bunch of M12 tools and like them.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Wrar posted:

I bought into the 12v Milwaukee stuff last year and it's fantastic. Home Depot seems to have good deals frequently on it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sharkytm posted:

if I were starting over, I'd seriously consider going red across the board.

Same, except I'm coming from yellow. And have been for a really drat long time when yellow was the correct choice to make.

It's probably gonna keep on changing.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm on Milwaukee M18 and it's fantastic. I'm probably going to be getting my girlfriend on the M12 system soon because she's got a Ryobi drill right now and realized it's garbage.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Makita or Milwaukee have the largest variety of battery tools and are pretty comparable quality wise. Ryobi would be a good option as well if either one are out of your price range, but I’m a proponent of buy once cry once. Most weekenders won’t be killing ryobi tools with regular homeowner tasks. I would avoid store brands besides ryobi, since there’s no telling if they’ll be around for new batteries in five years.

Ridgid doesn’t have quite have the selection or quality, but they ostensibly have a lifetime battery warranty. I’ve had bad experiences with their lifetime warranty on an inspection camera, so ymmv. I don’t see much value in most warranties, I’d rather just buy a good tool. Honestly Ridgid’s battery tools feel like a zombie brand.

Dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee are what you’ll see most often in the trades. Dewalt is good, but their selection is more limited. Also 20v is 18v, they’re just measuring peak charging voltage so it’s just marketing wank.

I really love my makita tools and batteries, they just seem to last nomatter that abuse I throw their way. Recently used their battery chainsaw to buck a fairly large tree that had fallen against a friend’s house and it was fantastic.

If I could make a recommendation, look out for a drill, driver, circular saw, sawzall type combo deal. They’re a ridiculously great price and you get most of the basics. I didn’t think I’d like the cordless circular saw near as much as I do, but it’s fantastic. Even the portable angle grinder is absurdly useful. You can also find great amazon warehouse deals on these kinds of kits as well.

More info on brands and who owns what. .

E: If there’s an option and not a huge price difference, try to buy brushless tools as well. Generally a tiny bit more power, more battery life. Generally not a huge difference between tool iterations, just something else to compare.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 6, 2021

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I'll toss in my two cents. I picked up the ryobi brushless kit a few years ago and pounced on one of their buy two batteries get a free tool deals. Nothing I've bought has disappointed me, and the price is right. I gutted a bathroom and kitchen with the drill and driver, and do Serious Woodworking (tm) with the palm router. I have the sprayer for garden chemicals. I even have the 40v lawnmower, blower, and whacker.

(pic is a little outdated)

Only things I think I still want are the glue gun and Brad nailer.

I'll add that I did murder one brushless drill, but that because I attempted to mix a full bucket of mortar with a paddle attachment :v Home Depot replaced it with no questions.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
We bought one of those big rear end Ryobi sets to use first to renovate my brothers apartment but primarily to use for renovating the family house. I think they'll fall into the "cheap enough to write off after renovating, but expensive enough to actually last through the renovation". If I were to buy a powertool for myself now I might go for Milwaukee as they look good, seem to have good design and seem to be pretty loved by everyone. I previously bought Bosch Professional 12V impact driver and hammer drill and those little guys kick rear end and take a beating. Very happy with them.

When it comes to non power tools I'm not going to buy cheap rear end screw drivers etc anymore. I'm planning on getting a set of Wera electronics screw drivers because the $5-10 crap I previously bought either just strips the head, gets ruined or flat out breaks in half at the slightest hint of torque. I mainly want them for how drat good they are at not stripping screw heads and how useful they are when heads have been semi-stripped.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

Dewalt is good, but their selection is more limited. Also 20v is 18v, they’re just measuring peak charging voltage so it’s just marketing wank.

While the number is marketing wank it's an important difference in the ecosystem. 18v is nicad and requires a super lovely converter that eats batteries and likes to explode if you want to use modern 20v LIon batteries on them. It is 100% not worth it. I replaced perfectly good 18v tools just so I wouldn't have to deal with nicad batteries or that goddamn adapter any more.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Cords > Batteries

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

On the plus side, with every power tool brand banking on you overpaying for batteries to keep you locked in, it's not likely that any of them are going to suddenly change standards again like they all did ~10-15 years ago. I think I've even seen Milwaukee offer free upgrade kits for certain tools that don't fit (but would otherwise benefit from) their newer big M18 packs that use 21700 cells instead of 18650s.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Motronic posted:

While the number is marketing wank it's an important difference in the ecosystem. 18v is nicad and requires a super lovely converter that eats batteries and likes to explode if you want to use modern 20v LIon batteries on them. It is 100% not worth it. I replaced perfectly good 18v tools just so I wouldn't have to deal with nicad batteries or that goddamn adapter any more.

That's too bad. Ryobi transitioned seamlessly. I've still got a few blue ones that work fine with li-on. Milwaukee corded drills had a rep above the rest when there were no battery driven tech. I've still got a couple of them too.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Cords > Batteries

This is certainly an opinion. And while I agree I don't want a battery powered table saw I also really don't have a need for a corded drill these days.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

tater_salad posted:

This is certainly an opinion. And while I agree I don't want a battery powered table saw I also really don't have a need for a corded drill these days.

I love my corded drill. It drills whatever I need drilling with no complaints!

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I got a pretty extensive and quality DeWalt kit for Black Friday a few years ago but the Makita track saw is so, so tempting.

I have a feeling I'm going to be a two-battery-system man against my will.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Motronic posted:

I assume that's just DeWalt you're talking about and other 18v systems are LIon? Because gently caress NiCad. Time to move on from that technology.

I've been impressed with the 12v Milwaukee installer's drill/driver set I got a couple of years ago. Drives 5" x 1/4" lag screws completely into pt posts with no sweat and no pilot holes.

Missed the package deal Home Depot had for the Makita 16" chainsaw, batteries, and dual bay charger. Back to watching Makita and Milwaukee - whichever is first to bring out a good package with either a chainsaw, 1/2" impact wrench, or even a reciprocating saw inducts me into their 18v cult.

Just to rub salt in the wounds my 5 year old Husqvarna 365 chainsaw died, leaving me with a bunch of trees on the ground. I think I got a lemon; the saw has never been particularly impressive, was finicky, low powered, and unlikely to restart when warm. Completely unlike the old Husky 065 it replaced. Lesson learned, I should have taken it back for a warranty replacement instead of adapting to it. Also need to trust myself that that when a saw has a slight ringing sound when it's operating it's something significant, not just that my ear protectors aren't seated properly.

The Stihl 461 replacement is bigger than the 365 but in spite of the extra weight it's easier to use as I don't need to keep repositioning it to get through the large trees I'm cutting now. It's powerful enough I should be able to put on a ripping chain and cut a few slabs if I'm feeling masochistic. Never wanted to do that with the 365.

The 461 is big enough I really want a little 16" bucking saw now. Not that I needed an excuse, but it does reduce the guilty feeling. I need to work on getting rid of that.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I have the 60v Flexvolt Dewalt chainsaw and it's fantastic. I use the poo poo out of it and never have any issues or problems cutting.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hexigrammus posted:

I assume that's just DeWalt you're talking about and other 18v systems are LIon? Because gently caress NiCad. Time to move on from that technology.

Yes yes, 100% that statement is about DeWalt nomenclature ONLY and has nothing to do with any other color/system.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I used to have a huge Ryobi tool collection that got pretty constant use before I lost it all in a fire. I replaced it with Milwaukee stuff last year because insurance was paying anyway and didn't really make a distinction in cost between brands. I thought the Ryobi stuff was good. The Milwaukee tools are better in some ways and feel higher quality, but I used my Ryobi tools for years and never had any problems despite pretty constant abuse.

I usually recommend M12 stuff when friends ask, though. The non-FUEL tools are pretty comparable to Ryobi and they're good for like 99% of what most people need to do around their homes. I have a big collection of M12 and M18 tools at this point and the M12 versions are mostly what I use for my endless battle against the poo poo job the contractors did rebuilding my house.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I'm a red boi myself but I recently bought a battery powered Surebonder glue gun (natively takes Ryobi bats) that came with a Ryobi to Milwaukee adapter. Anyone use these adapters to run actual tools? I'd love to pick up one of the cheap green brad nailers if I don't have to invest in green batteries.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm a blue/teal boy, and I almost kind of regret it, but only for one reason.

Lowe's does not carry Makita, so if I want to take advantage of those "buy X tool(s), get Y free tools/battery" promos I have to use Home Depot, which I would prefer not to do for political reasons...though, as Sonic tells us, there is no ethical consumption under capitalism, so unless I go live as a hermit in the woods, there is virtually no way to live "in society" and NOT be subject to poo poo like that.

I mean, if I researched every company I bought stuff from, I'm sure I'd find out they all donate to chud causes in some capacity cause they all just want lower taxes and regulations.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Paradoxish posted:

I used to have a huge Ryobi tool collection that got pretty constant use before I lost it all in a fire. I replaced it with Milwaukee stuff last year because insurance was paying anyway and didn't really make a distinction in cost between brands. I thought the Ryobi stuff was good. The Milwaukee tools are better in some ways and feel higher quality, but I used my Ryobi tools for years and never had any problems despite pretty constant abuse.

I usually recommend M12 stuff when friends ask, though. The non-FUEL tools are pretty comparable to Ryobi and they're good for like 99% of what most people need to do around their homes. I have a big collection of M12 and M18 tools at this point and the M12 versions are mostly what I use for my endless battle against the poo poo job the contractors did rebuilding my house.

drat. What a guy has to go through to change color camp.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what should I be doing for rust prevention on my tools? I store them in my shed, which has no climate control of any kind (it is a shed). I've noticed a bit of surface rust on parts of my drill and I'm starting to accrue some planes and I don't really know how to maintain any of this stuff properly. Paste wax on everything? WD-40?

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I was just wondering about this yesterday since my workshop is an insinuated metal building. People seem to use all kinds of different oils. Lie-Neilson suggests jojoba oil. From reading others' impressions it seems like WD-40 is a great product for the job, some people just don't like lots of hand contact with it. I'm interested to hear what some of y'all use.

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm a blue/teal boy, and I almost kind of regret it, but only for one reason.

Lowe's does not carry Makita, so if I want to take advantage of those "buy X tool(s), get Y free tools/battery" promos I have to use Home Depot, which I would prefer not to do for political reasons...though, as Sonic tells us, there is no ethical consumption under capitalism, so unless I go live as a hermit in the woods, there is virtually no way to live "in society" and NOT be subject to poo poo like that.

I mean, if I researched every company I bought stuff from, I'm sure I'd find out they all donate to chud causes in some capacity cause they all just want lower taxes and regulations.

I normally buy my teal foods at Acme Tools during sales, but I’m also an Amazon shopper so I’m not sure I can talk about ethical consumption.

That said, the new spotlight Makita put out last year had a wild deal of the day sale and I got it for something like 10 dollars after using reward points. Thing’s a beast, I feel like Alan Wake with that thing.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Bloody posted:

what should I be doing for rust prevention on my tools? I store them in my shed, which has no climate control of any kind (it is a shed). I've noticed a bit of surface rust on parts of my drill and I'm starting to accrue some planes and I don't really know how to maintain any of this stuff properly. Paste wax on everything? WD-40?

If it touches wood, paste wax, oils will get into the wood. I use Renaissance Wax on my machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Bloody posted:

I use paste wax on just about everything. It’s fun to rub and smells good. 3-in-1 oil would probably work just as well but it’s not as fun to apply.