Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

G-III posted:

He even grovels before her in front of the fire place... like a slave. Just as he does before palpatine after helping cause mace windu's death in the next movie. These little details are why I like going back to the prequels from time to time.

Always liked the reprise of "I will do anything/whatever you ask" there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The imagery of Padme drawing Anakin towards the fire-place ought to be pretty obvious, but Lucas also designed the dress’ tight collar to foreshadow her death.

This isn’t just a poetic device, but characterization: in (however playfully) accepting this dominatrix role, Padme has unconsciously set the stage for her own destruction. And, with her gone, there’s nothing between Anakin and the flames.

This imagery has been pretty consistently dismissed by fans, like Lucas just got too horny and accidentally made innocent Padme into a closet sadist.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Anakin absolutely called Padme "master" in the bedroom

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Is E.T. a Jedi?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

FunkyAl posted:

Is E.T. a Jedi?

he's the rich failson of the senator(s) that we see in episode 1

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The imagery of Padme drawing Anakin towards the fire-place ought to be pretty obvious, but Lucas also designed the dress’ tight collar to foreshadow her death.

This isn’t just a poetic device, but characterization: in (however playfully) accepting this dominatrix role, Padme has unconsciously set the stage for her own destruction. And, with her gone, there’s nothing between Anakin and the flames.

This imagery has been pretty consistently dismissed by fans, like Lucas just got too horny and accidentally made innocent Padme into a closet sadist.

Forget fans, this was called out in exactly the way you describe by RLM.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

ungulateman posted:

he's the rich failson of the senator(s) that we see in episode 1

Ah, so he can use the force because of his private Jedi tutor.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Ingmar terdman posted:

Always liked the reprise of "I will do anything/whatever you ask" there

Yeah this is kinda key to Anakin's character- he's basically got a follower personality. He starts out as a slave, is separated from his mother at a tender age, spends the ten years in between in service to the Jedi, there's never a time where he's been allowed to be his own person. And Obi-Wan can't recognize this since he's been in service to the Jedi forever- and Padme, arguably, has always been groomed for politics (some of this was cut from Ep. II but they left in her first kiss being a guy from the Model UN club) so she probably doesn't have the best concept of a normal personal life either.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Grendels Dad posted:

Forget fans, this was called out in exactly the way you describe by RLM.

That’s the really sad thing; a lot of their observations about the narrative are factual, but the conclusion is invariably a blanket rejection of reality itself:

Padme literally flirts with fascism, and she should not do that. Anakin is a ‘creepy’ masochist, and he should not be that.

But because she does, and he is, unavoidably, the only solution is to try desperately to force that toothpaste back in the tube. Declare Lucas mentally deficient! Decanonize the prequels! Check out my sexless fan-edit! Etc.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-rogue-squadron-pilots-we-want-in-patty-jenkins-star-1846003856

(a) I completely forgot that Patty Jenkins is doing Rogue Squadron. Previously I thought "hey she's pretty competent" and was excited, but unfortunately I've now seen WW1984.

(b) I'm almost certain that none of these weirdos will show up. Wedge might be referenced or something. Somehow they'll find a way to stick CGI Luke in there, though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You don't get elected queen without at least a little sadism.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If only any of this had been reflected in Portman's performance!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah but lightsabers go brrrrrrr

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You don't get elected queen without at least a little sadism.
You don't get to 20,000 midichlorians without making a few enemies

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Now I'm picturing Padme making Anakin wear the suit.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Does Vader's armor count as a gimp suit?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Anakin def jizzes his pants at 'Instead of a Dark Lord, you would have a queen! Beautiful and terrible as the dawn! All shall love me and despair!'

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Now I'm picturing Padme making Anakin wear the suit.

The dynamic is specifically Anakin asking her to make him wear the suit, and Padme going along with it even though she thinks it's silly.

multijoe posted:

If only any of this had been reflected in Portman's performance!

It is; Padme being a very stern character much of the time is why Portman's performance is often dismissed as "wooden".

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
whose video is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLw30uC92Qo

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Whoever this is, they have a good channel.

https://youtu.be/rD2G0D-nyLA

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, I watched all their videos after that one and they make good stuff.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

This video made me realize that the actual Gungans who aren't Jar Jar, look pretty loving cool. Like pause that video at 5:07. Those loving dope rear end fearless Gungan warriors look like loving bad-asses.

I hope we see more Gugans in future Star Wars things. They're a cool unexplored alien race that the galaxy needs more of.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Good video, immediately watched the others on his channel.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Lol'ed pretty hard at showing footage of George Lucas bein a goof while he says "...treating any person as if they have no value simply because they don't behave the way we expect them to, and they put their quirks on display for all of us to see, is to risk the doom of our entire civilization"

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

AndyElusive posted:

This video made me realize that the actual Gungans who aren't Jar Jar, look pretty loving cool. Like pause that video at 5:07. Those loving dope rear end fearless Gungan warriors look like loving bad-asses.

I hope we see more Gugans in future Star Wars things. They're a cool unexplored alien race that the galaxy needs more of.

I remember one random EU comic book had them get genocided by disease bombs lol

Probably wishful canon for more than a few ppl

Martman posted:

Lol'ed pretty hard at showing footage of George Lucas bein a goof while he says "...treating any person as if they have no value simply because they don't behave the way we expect them to, and they put their quirks on display for all of us to see, is to risk the doom of our entire civilization"

Amazing. No wonder he's always dissing the fans

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Its kind of ridiculous at this point how Lucas ended up making one of, if not the, most prescient and vital pieces of mass market pop culture for the world we are immediately living in and people are still going "NO gently caress YOU LUCAS NOBODY WOULD ACT LIKE THAT"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Blood Boils posted:

I remember one random EU comic book had them get genocided by disease bombs lol

Probably wishful canon for more than a few ppl

It was an arc I actually read that also features Durge, who's like boba Fett but way bigger and also a squidgy worm monster under the armour, killing four jedi comically easily, mostly with lava.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I was watching the AotC deleted scenes and wow they basically cut Padme's entire plotline. And it's got some juicy stuff too. She gives this whole speech in the Senate where she points out that authorizing an army and attacking the Separatists with it (looking at you here Yoda) will force the Separatists to retaliate in self-defense. Then she talks about how a war will just give the Republic an excuse to become a police state and take away everyones rights.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

galagazombie posted:

I was watching the AotC deleted scenes and wow they basically cut Padme's entire plotline. And it's got some juicy stuff too. She gives this whole speech in the Senate where she points out that authorizing an army and attacking the Separatists with it (looking at you here Yoda) will force the Separatists to retaliate in self-defense. Then she talks about how a war will just give the Republic an excuse to become a police state and take away everyones rights.

That's a bit too on the nose. I prefer the story where everyone is a little uneasy about what's going on but they don't see the danger until it's too late.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Alchenar posted:

That's a bit too on the nose. I prefer the story where everyone is a little uneasy about what's going on but they don't see the danger until it's too late.

As it is, people think Lucas left that entire plotline and reading in there by accident. I don't think you can be too subtle.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Shiroc posted:

Its kind of ridiculous at this point how Lucas ended up making one of, if not the, most prescient and vital pieces of mass market pop culture for the world we are immediately living in and people are still going "NO gently caress YOU LUCAS NOBODY WOULD ACT LIKE THAT"

https://twitter.com/FriendsOfForce/status/1347953244463620098

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Alchenar posted:

I'd disagree because I'd say the whole point is that everyone knows exactly what's happening but are so ossified in the status-quo that they can't bring themselves to do anything about it or imagine a different solution.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Blessed

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Snowman_McK posted:

It was an arc I actually read that also features Durge, who's like boba Fett but way bigger and also a squidgy worm monster under the armour, killing four jedi comically easily, mostly with lava.

Oh yeah that guy. He was pretty much unkillable until Anakin fired him into a sun lol

Unlimited powah

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Seems to be george directing the unveiling of the empire but sheev's robe isnt the same

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Snowman_McK posted:

As it is, people think Lucas left that entire plotline and reading in there by accident. I don't think you can be too subtle.

It's actually that you can't be too obvious. By the end of the film, you've literally got Padme doing banter while blasting brown-skinned people with a laser rifle in the space-mideast. Like, literally joking that killing people is way better than boring diplomacy.

If that's not clear enough, that's not on the film.

Again, people got confused by Revenge Of The Sith when Anakin's shouting "I think that the Jedi do more harm than good!" and Obiwan's like "but I'm apolitical! I don't believe in anything!"

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Ingmar terdman posted:

Seems to be george directing the unveiling of the empire but sheev's robe isnt the same

I think it’s the moment he throws one of the Senate pods at Yoda.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Vinylshadow posted:

In Solo, Lando's droid became part of the Falcon, and in Empire, Artoo jacks into the Falcon, so that's two people who have screwed the Falcon

Lando and R2: Eskimo Brothers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

thrawn527 posted:

Lando and R2: Eskimo Brothers.

Honestly I'd watch a movie of just these two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

i can't get over how good the revenge of the sith novelization is as a story that technically tells the same narrative but manages to pull out wildly different implications and suggest very different things. it's a remarkable example of how important creative difference is when doing adaptations