Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Xae's 2021 HG journey, Part 1

Good kit. Zero caps. I've noticed from this build HGs have FAR less tolerance if you paint them, so I might need to start tacking up joints in future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm coming from a warhammer mini painting background so I'd recommend hand painting the joint plastics and tacking them off when you're spraying so they still look good without losing their snugness. Also the Messer and the Gustav Karl unfortunately do suffer from being looser kits in general. Theyre big boys for being HGs and their joints aren't always able to carry the extra plastic weight.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Got nice and screwed over by Hobbytech Co.

My kits all arrived fine, but, the Blue Destiny is not the one I wanted.

They advertised it on the website as the Blue Destiny Exam, it's even visible on the invoice. So very not happy about that. I've sent them an email because they aren't responding to phone calls. If they continue to refuse, I did my payment through Paypal and I'll get my money back that way.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Metro Hobbies has all the blue destiny HGs in stock.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Yup, I already placed an order with them.

Grabbed the GM Sniper II and the Turn-A Gundam to save on delivery.

Still gonna cost me like $12 sending the other one back to Hobbytech.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 6, 2021

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm coming from a warhammer mini painting background so I'd recommend hand painting the joint plastics and tacking them off when you're spraying so they still look good without losing their snugness. Also the Messer and the Gustav Karl unfortunately do suffer from being looser kits in general. Theyre big boys for being HGs and their joints aren't always able to carry the extra plastic weight.

Nah, Plugging and capping joints with Blu Tack and Airbrushing is a better way of doing things. Hand painting Gunpla always looks guffy and streaky unless you're doing something like a liquid gold effect, especially for things like Matt topcoats. I just didn't have any clean tack in atm, and the UK's in a big lockdown. I've been making & painting Gunpla for the better part of 20 years now, and I've been painting Wargame minis since I was 9.

This was just me shortcutting due to lack of materials, since I wanted to get a head-start on my Year of HG plan.

MoukoKHZ
Sep 23, 2010
PMOA 1/100 Rwf9a bk Arrow head bk from R-type Tactics

The first model I've completed in years. Only customisation is the blue parts are supposed to be red.

With Force.

Scale comparison (Squint and you just might see the pilot!)

Opinions?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

MoukoKHZ posted:

PMOA 1/100 Rwf9a bk Arrow head bk from R-type Tactics

The first model I've completed in years. Only customisation is the blue parts are supposed to be red.

With Force.

Scale comparison (Squint and you just might see the pilot!)

Opinions?

Excellent. Love the Arrowhead. :3:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

That's badass.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

The MG Gundam Mk-V went up on JP P-Bandai less than 2 hours ago and it promptly broke the site then sold out.

Edit: Apparently it didn't sell out yet? I guess my browser was being funky.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 7, 2021

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Making progress on MG barbatos, I still have the arms and head to paint but I really feel like it's starting to come together.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Mirthless posted:

Making progress on MG barbatos, I still have the arms and head to paint but I really feel like it's starting to come together.

This looks fuckin rad, good work!

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran
Anyone have an Amazon link to some good sanding sticks? I started building these things in November and I have gotten away with just Tamiya clippers to get things off runners, and GodHands with an Xacto to trim. But now that I'm working on the MG Deathscythe the dark blue pieces are kind of looking like poo poo even with the GodHand nippers, so I should probably sand down those things.

I don't really feel like assembling my own paper and popsicle sticks, so some preassembled things would be nice.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

CapMoron posted:

Anyone have an Amazon link to some good sanding sticks? I started building these things in November and I have gotten away with just Tamiya clippers to get things off runners, and GodHands with an Xacto to trim. But now that I'm working on the MG Deathscythe the dark blue pieces are kind of looking like poo poo even with the GodHand nippers, so I should probably sand down those things.

I don't really feel like assembling my own paper and popsicle sticks, so some preassembled things would be nice.

They're not quite the same thing, but I've been using these.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

CapMoron posted:

i use these and theyre really nice
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XQKQMFB

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

wdarkk posted:

I've also been using these after they were recommended here months back and they're much better than any sanding stick I've used.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

How well are those glass files for clear parts?

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran

wdarkk posted:

Thanks, I'll probably order both of these and see which of them click!

I did find the ad copy on the glass sticks funny:

quote:

Suitable for Women, Girls, Man, even the pregnant.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Are sanding sticks really better than heading down to Home Depot and picking up a few packs of 1000/1500/2000 sandpaper and folding them into a vaguely sticklike shape? Asking for the dumbest friend

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

Are sanding sticks really better than heading down to Home Depot and picking up a few packs of 1000/1500/2000 sandpaper and folding them into a vaguely sticklike shape? Asking for the dumbest friend

If you have access to popsicle sticks and superglue you can easily make your own that are almost as good and definitely less expensive.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Some sanding sticks are not fully rigid and are more of a hard sponge make up as well which stands more on a contour of a piece and doesn't flat spot the area that you are sanding.

Very similar to nail sponge files.

You can duplicate them with double sided sponge tape on a popsicle stick if your in a pinch.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Been working on another project that's had me using my airbrush a lot, got me back in the mood for it. I ended up pulling the Vic Viper I'd half-finished from a few years ago and now I've got it almost finished! Just need to put on the decals in a day or two once the paint has cured, then the final finishing.

I'm pretty happy with it, even if it's been a rush job. Got the kit the first time I was in Taiwan with family.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
https://twitter.com/30mmissions/status/1347366168932143104?s=19

The option set is loving amazing.

https://twitter.com/30mmissions/status/1347367430289383424?s=19

Puddin fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jan 8, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Some of the recent 30MM customization ideas have felt a little lackluster for me in recent releases (Just minor things like the Cielnova and Rabiot armor packs), it's great to see them going ham with more unique stuff like this :shepspends:.

Also "Sengoku Type" implies there are others... :f5:

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 8, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hello

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
The sword one is sort of fine by te standard of the line, the big arm one looks terrific, even if the arm is probably my least favorite part, but I think it shows the parts are also used for a booster pod? Definitely good for aquatic MSes, might try it on my Z'gok for size.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Hygogg needs booster extendo arms.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

hell yeah

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

hell yeah

It's not quite Gunpla, but I'm more excited about the Juggernauts from 86. Novels are supposed to be good, so we'll see if the anime lives up to the reputation or if this is an emperor has no clothes thing, but I always love seeing Bandai put out weirder mechs.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

chiasaur11 posted:

It's not quite Gunpla, but I'm more excited about the Juggernauts from 86. Novels are supposed to be good, so we'll see if the anime lives up to the reputation or if this is an emperor has no clothes thing, but I always love seeing Bandai put out weirder mechs.

Those look pretty cool, and great for painting.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
One thing I've wanted to try for a while is kitbashing a Gustav Karl with the old Bolt Gundam kit to see if I can make something more modern for the Bolt Gundam. They have a surprisingly number of similarities, but are there are other kits I might be able to sample from to help out in the bash?

The skirt, feet, and backpack - and especially the shoulders - I'm going to have to modify. The legs and arms should be fine and the head is actually a decent size.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

When did they announce the 86 kits.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=109&cat=gundam&target=Serieshin&searchkey=86+-Eighty+Six-

They all look pretty good. and not sure why the novels are getting these kits, but they look to be a pretty solid buy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wibbleman posted:

When did they announce the 86 kits.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=109&cat=gundam&target=Serieshin&searchkey=86+-Eighty+Six-

They all look pretty good. and not sure why the novels are getting these kits, but they look to be a pretty solid buy.

There's going to be an anime of the novels this year. Thus the merch.

If the scuttlebutt I hear is true, the novels have a good enough rep that people are thinking the anime's going to be a pretty decent hit with the mech nerd crowd, so Bandai's making sure to get some merch out to capitalize on things.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
If anyone is interested in throwing a ton of kits into your backlog, Banzai Hobby have their usual new year lucky bag, they differ each year but this year is a small mini combination, SD lucky bag and a HG Gundam and a Bandai non-gundam kit.

https://banzaihobby.com/lucky-bag/mini-lucky-bag-2021-gunpla-sdcs-set

quote:

We cannnot tell you what's in the package! But we will guarantee that there will be over JPY2695 (inc GST) retail price of products are included in this lucky bag!!

This Lucky Bag will include Gunpla SDCS Kit x 2, Nipper and Gunpla Marker.

PLUS

x2 FREE! Limited Edition Bonus Base
x1 Clear File

https://banzaihobby.com/lucky-bag/mini-lucky-bag-2021-gunpla-starter-set

quote:

We cannnot tell you what's in the package! But we will guarantee that there will be over JPY3135 (inc GST) retail price of products are included in this lucky bag!!

This Lucky Bag will include Gunpla Starter Set, Nipper and Gunpla Marker.

PLUS
x2 FREE! Limited Edition Bonus Base
x1 Clear File

https://banzaihobby.com/lucky-bag/lucky-bag-2021-bandai-plastic-model-kit

quote:

We cannnot tell you what's in the package! But we will guarantee that there will be over JPY32,450 (inc GST) retail price of products are included in this lucky bag!!

Please note No Gunplas are included in this Lucky Bag. Please see another listing for Gunpla.

Plastic Model Kits consist from Figure-Rise, HG Kit, SD-CS Kits and more!

This Lucky Bag will include

12 x Bandai Plastic Model Kit,

1 x Bandai Effect Part,

1 x Free Bandai Plastic Model Kit (not counted in the price)

https://banzaihobby.com/lucky-bag/lucky-bag-2021-bandai-gunpla-kit

quote:

We cannnot tell you what's in the package! But we will guarantee that there will be over JPY30,745 (inc GST) retail price of products are included in this lucky bag!!

This Lucky Bag will include Gunpla HGBD, HGUC, HGCE, SDCS, BB/SD Kits etc etc

Total:

19 x Bandai Kits

1 x Bandai Gunpla Decal

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Puddin posted:

If anyone is interested in throwing a ton of kits into your backlog, Banzai Hobby have their usual new year lucky bag, they differ each year but this year is a small mini combination, SD lucky bag and a HG Gundam and a Bandai non-gundam kit.

https://banzaihobby.com/lucky-bag/mini-lucky-bag-2021-gunpla-sdcs-set

https://banzaihobby.com/lucky-bag/mini-lucky-bag-2021-gunpla-starter-set

https://banzaihobby.com/lucky-bag/lucky-bag-2021-bandai-plastic-model-kit

https://banzaihobby.com/lucky-bag/lucky-bag-2021-bandai-gunpla-kit

Are these likely to contain good kits, or a bunch of early High Grades and other stock that won't ship?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
The last one I got was packed full of build divers, IBO kits including the barbatos with long range booster.

But of course your running the risk of a random collection of goods.

I found a pic of the goods I got in the last one.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 10, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Do the other HG IBO kits suffer from loose ab crunch at the waist like the Graze Custom? I know its an artistic thing for the show but it seems like a design weakness for the gunpla.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

Do the other HG IBO kits suffer from loose ab crunch at the waist like the Graze Custom? I know its an artistic thing for the show but it seems like a design weakness for the gunpla.

I've got all three Barbatos Gundams, as well as the Flauros, and they've been pretty solid for me.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've got all three Barbatos Gundams, as well as the Flauros, and they've been pretty solid for me.

Yeah, there's a bit of luck of the draw, and they loosen over time if you don't tighten them up again, but mostly it's not too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/shinohara_kenta/status/1348224063492087810?s=20