Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

hypnophant posted:

If you’re on ios, paprika is a paid app that does a great job stripping out just the recipe and also organizing all your recipes

I use that on Android also and it works great there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

therattle posted:

Check out this shop:
https://chopvalue.com/collections/all

The guy had the idea of collecting used chopsticks and making stuff from them. Terrific idea and some nice designs.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/04/waste-not-wontons-innovator-recycled-32m-restaurant-chopsticks

I guess I'm not sure this is the perfect time for this.

"Hey, check out my wall hexagons! They were in 70 people's mouths!"

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

angerbeet posted:

I guess I'm not sure this is the perfect time for this.

"Hey, check out my wall hexagons! They were in 70 people's mouths!"

The steam treatment process should sterilize the material pretty thoroughly, but the wall hexagons are nothing next to the cutting boards, made from 3326 pairs!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
This person on Reddit made a very good post about their Chinese immigrant experience and knifes and such.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cooking/co...utm_name=iossmf

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Any recs for interesting beer brewing books? My BIL loves making beer and brewing so not like a "how to brew beer" book, but something a little more in depth and interesting? He's at the level of looking into which types of hops he's planting in spring if that helps.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

pile of brown posted:

Any recs for interesting beer brewing books? My BIL loves making beer and brewing so not like a "how to brew beer" book, but something a little more in depth and interesting? He's at the level of looking into which types of hops he's planting in spring if that helps.

This isn't a general purpose thing, but I got this from the library once and it was a lot of fun to read and try out some of the recipes: https://www.amazon.com/Home-Brewers-Guide-Vintage-Beer/dp/1631593641

It has a bunch of super early beer recipes from the 19th century. Almost all of them are British styles (and aggressively British, so no crazy hop flavours and a lot of malt forward / dark stuff), so if you're not into that probably not the right book. There's a table porter that I still make regularly from that book (comes out to like 2.5% so it's great to have around to crack open at lunch or something).

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

FYI if you ever need fake prop baby poop for your indy film, roasted pepita nut butter is :discourse:

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
You can also microwave a reese's

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I've been reflecting on all the goons with spoons posts and threads. I 100% want to improve. I think if I start using my Insant Pot instead of the typical oil+spice+stuff, that I'll see an upgrade in quality. I'm sure there is an instantpot thread in here somewhere to study.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Cheese Thief posted:

I've been reflecting on all the goons with spoons posts and threads. I 100% want to improve. I think if I start using my Insant Pot instead of the typical oil+spice+stuff, that I'll see an upgrade in quality. I'm sure there is an instantpot thread in here somewhere to study.

To be honest, the instant pot (or any pressure cooker) is just a different/quicker way of getting energy into the food you're cooking. It's great for some things (stews, rice, soup, the implementation of 'easy' recipes that can be found online) but is far from a magic bullet and has a lot of tradeoffs over other methods of getting energy into the food. It's generally not possible to get great char on protein, the steam has nowhere to escape so all the food ends up under/in liquid (not always bad not always good), timing can be complicated if you're trying to cook things together with very different cooking durations, etc.

There are some great instant pot recipes! I love my instant pot but I don't enjoy the meals from it more than what I make without it as a rule.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Yeah, I would say for the majority of dishes, the Instant pot is more of a convenience thing than something that will improve the quality of your dishes. I love mine and use it often, but I can't think of a single thing I make in it that I couldn't make better in a dutch oven if I had 8 hours to make it.

By all means get one, it's a great device, but don't expect magic.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I have one. Stopped using it for a long time because it wouldn't keep pressure. After getting a new ring, that fixed the issue.
I just don't know what to do. Might not just do the pressure cooker but start on page 1 of a cookbook and go through it to make anything reasonable.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The only thing we use our instapot for is making yogurt.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Cheese Thief posted:

I have one. Stopped using it for a long time because it wouldn't keep pressure. After getting a new ring, that fixed the issue.
I just don't know what to do. Might not just do the pressure cooker but start on page 1 of a cookbook and go through it to make anything reasonable.

What is it about your cooking that you're not happy with? Getting better at cooking is a pretty big topic. Cooking lots is definitely a good thing to do, although I wouldn't go strictly from page 1 to the end of a cookbook - you should be interested in what you're cooking, and forcing yourself on certain dishes isn't going to make it very engaging.

I would try to focus on perfecting particular cooking methods, and keeping your recipes fairly basic so you can focus on technique. Try to make a aglio e olio pasta, or a really simple and basic braise of beef. Work on improving your technique with standards before you try to get fancy with recipes.

Soup is another good thing to start with - you can figure out the overall template of making a mirepoix, adding stock, and the main component of your soup and apply that to all sorts of different flavours, and it's pretty easy to improvise and experiment with new flavours. Plus it's usually pretty economical, and stores well so it's never really wasted.

Also, serious eats and old episodes of Good Eats are great resources for not just teaching you recipes, but explaining the reasons behind why the recipes work the way they do. (On food and cooking, which Good Eats is heavily inspired by, is a good resource too but maybe a touch less approachable than either of the above options).

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Casu Marzu posted:

Dal and other legume dishes, but most often dal. The instant pot is like a dal-o-matic machine.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What should I substitute for cognac in stuff like pate? I'm unlikely to ever have cognac.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Do you have brandy? A fortified wine like sherry or port or something is nice too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Casu Marzu posted:

Do you have brandy? A fortified wine like sherry or port or something is nice too.

Not much of an alcohol house. I might get a bottle of brandy around though since I might have a few more uses for it in crepes and mince pies. I tried white wine this time in a duck liver pate because it was what I had at hand.

Going to make beef liver pate soonish.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
That white wine duck liver pate should be nice. White wine can definitely work in more delicately-flavored terrines like duck or pork, but for the beef one I think you'll want to pick up a bottle of brandy. Courvoisier or Hennessy will be more than satisfactory for that, and of course it'll be just fine sitting open at room temp if you're just cooking with it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

prayer group posted:

That white wine duck liver pate should be nice. White wine can definitely work in more delicately-flavored terrines like duck or pork, but for the beef one I think you'll want to pick up a bottle of brandy. Courvoisier or Hennessy will be more than satisfactory for that, and of course it'll be just fine sitting open at room temp if you're just cooking with it.

The duck liver pate with white wine was nice! Might go smear some on some saltines now, actually. That's my first pate, btw. Beef is next because I have an assload of beef liver that I got for free.

My SO gagged when I called it a meat milkshake and now I get it all to myself :smugdog:

In other trip report news it turns out that Canada goose breast is extremely tough and cannot be cooked alongside duck breasts. (I broke down some ducks today and that's where I got the liver)

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Do liquor stores by you not sell those single shot bottles? You could snag a small amount of whatever for a recipe.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

dino. posted:

Do liquor stores by you not sell those single shot bottles? You could snag a small amount of whatever for a recipe.

I... that's a good idea too. I don't drink, at all, so the landscape of the liquor store is not in my brain. And my SO has a glass of wine or can of cider every two weeks or so, mostly supplied by gifts. I've been using the same bottle of spiced rum in desserts for years.

Of course that would require me to have a bit of planning beyond "ooohh hey they shoved two livers into each of these ducks I should make some pate...."

I'll message my buddy who works at the liquor store to see if they carry little bottles of brandy and/or cognac. I actually need to get in touch with him anyway.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Casu Marzu posted:

The Instant Pot in our house gets regular rotation for the purpose of making broth/stock from bones and/or vegetable scraps - which I then use to make soups, stews, and other dishes in things that are not the Instant Pot.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

pile of brown posted:

You can also microwave a reese's

cant ignore this post/name combo

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Eat This Glob posted:

cant ignore this post/name combo

Same

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Bad proctologist was a great costume and I made a girl puke

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Lmfao nice

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

pile of brown posted:

Bad proctologist was a great costume and I made a girl puke

That’s funny. I cannot never read or hear proctologist without thinking of this and laughing:

Sheeit, it’s from TV Go Home and it’s gone. It was a series called Britain’s Burliest Proctologists. “We follow these sausage-fingered doctors...”

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

If it's just for cooking, I'd just get a bottle of whatever supermarket brandy you can get that gets fairly decent reviews. I'll keep basically forever and work out a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a single little bottle whenever you need a dollop of brandy

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Buy cognac, use some to make pâté and the rest to make sazeracs.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Instant Pot sure, not a magic bullet. But I basically make small variations of the same thing every time I make anything. I think instantpot will at least provide a conduit for some variety. Guess I'll be lurking the pressure cooker thread to see what i can come up with.

BTW I've always wanted to make eggplant parm, but that's a lot harder than it sounds.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

If you want a good easy Instant Pot recipe, I made this last night and it's both super good and the epitome of "throw poo poo in the pot, set it to 20 minutes". It has a few not super standard spices (star anise mostly) but everything should be readily available at most grocery stores.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/30-minute-pressure-cooker-pho-ga-recipe.html

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Pookah posted:

If it's just for cooking, I'd just get a bottle of whatever supermarket brandy you can get that gets fairly decent reviews. I'll keep basically forever and work out a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a single little bottle whenever you need a dollop of brandy

Yeah, a bottle of St-Rémy VSOP is like $14, and unless you like brandy manhattans as much as I do it'll keep for years. Or E&J XO if you prefer the American style vanilla-forward flavor to the more fruit leaning French style.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, a bottle of St-Rémy VSOP is like $14, and unless you like brandy manhattans as much as I do it'll keep for years. Or E&J XO if you prefer the American style vanilla-forward flavor to the more fruit leaning French style.

St Remy VSOP is exactly what I bought, and for something in that price range.

Defrosting some beef liver now

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

therattle posted:

That’s funny. I cannot never read or hear proctologist without thinking of this and laughing:

Sheeit, it’s from TV Go Home and it’s gone. It was a series called Britain’s Burliest Proctologists. “We follow these sausage-fingered doctors...”

I think of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y055Z8E7UAo

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
My grandmother left cheese out, it went stale and hard. We can't convince her to throw it out. She just keeps microwaving it every day. It's this sad puddle of cheese that I'm grossed out by.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

enki42 posted:

If you want a good easy Instant Pot recipe, I made this last night and it's both super good and the epitome of "throw poo poo in the pot, set it to 20 minutes". It has a few not super standard spices (star anise mostly) but everything should be readily available at most grocery stores.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/30-minute-pressure-cooker-pho-ga-recipe.html

Oh nice. I could do that minus the chai spices. I'm in a small town in the south right now, so if it's not available at Wal Mart I really can't get it. Also don't really feel like Amazon-ing it up for spices at the moment. But I'm sure spices are just for taste and I have plenty of the regular ones to enjoy to bulk of the meal with.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Hmm, normally I'd say yeah but the spices are pretty key in pho. You'll probably have a tasty chicken soup either way, but it will be noticeably different.

At a bare minimum (not that it's a spice, but still a key ingredient) I would say fish sauce is an absolute must or else it's just a fundamentally different thing you're making. Star anise is definitely the hardest to find, and I think you'd be able to make something passable by putting in a bit more fennel seed, if you can find that.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
The first salami from my pig Rufus has finished. It’s a Strolghino style salami that is soft, porky and delicious. I will say there is a bit of a binding issue. It doesn’t change the texture but it isn’t quite as firm as I wanted it to be and doesn’t quite hold together perfectly. The taste is pretty fantastic though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

enki42 posted:

Hmm, normally I'd say yeah but the spices are pretty key in pho. You'll probably have a tasty chicken soup either way, but it will be noticeably different.

At a bare minimum (not that it's a spice, but still a key ingredient) I would say fish sauce is an absolute must or else it's just a fundamentally different thing you're making. Star anise is definitely the hardest to find, and I think you'd be able to make something passable by putting in a bit more fennel seed, if you can find that.

I have some Healthy Boy thai fish sauce. A lot of those spices I have out in the garage, where they've been sitting for years. I know I have fennel out there. Green Cardimom too. I'd just use the fish sauce, garlic, ginger, tumeric, ceyenne, and call it a day. If you would see how I am eating now, you'd probably understand.
Also I am only cooking for myself, not others. And I don't particularly even care how food tastes as long as it fills me up and has good nutrients.