Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

davebo posted:

Help me out here, I'm a huge comic nerd but with more of an X-Men focus than Spider-Man. Isn't it "The Daily Bugle"? What's the C stand for?
Seems that in some series (including LEGO Marvel), it's called Daily Bugle Communications formally, or the Daily Bugle for short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

tomapot posted:

In November I was able to go to the lego store at my mall (masked up early on a weekday) and pick up the UCS Falcon from their stock.

This is probably people's best bet at getting hard to find sets if it's an option for them. I have consistently been able to find stuff that is sold out online in person. probably varies from store to store though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Does anyone like the new, black instructions? I'm guessing no because they are much harder to make out than before. Hopefully, they change soon.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

I'd recommend grabbing Assembly Square if you can afford it since there's good rumors that it will go out of print soon. Downtown Diner would be the next choice, since it's the second oldest, and is just a good modular in particular. But again, I personally wouldn't pay more then MSRP for either of these, particularly if you're just looking for -a- modular, since something will eventually come back in stock.

I'm definitely eyeing Assembly Square, I think it'd look really cool next to the Grand Emporium. I'll keep what everyone said in mind. Is there a way to check what's in stock at a physical LEGO Store besides calling up?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm definitely eyeing Assembly Square, I think it'd look really cool next to the Grand Emporium. I'll keep what everyone said in mind. Is there a way to check what's in stock at a physical LEGO Store besides calling up?

You can do individual looks on the set's page on lego.com.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Does anyone have any recommendations for Space-themed MOCs to buy instructions for? I'm still not entirely sold on most Star Wars ships for Lego (my mate called them grey bricks of depression) so yeah, preferably stuff that's not Star Wars or another preexisting sci-fi property please.

fappenmeister fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 11, 2021

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

davebo posted:

Not that I'm f5'ing every day to spend $800 on lego, but I threw the big Millennium Falcon into my wishlist since I check every day for the train parts I want. Does that ever actually come back in stock? For some reason I thought that was a retired thing but they just list it as temporarily out of stock, so I guess if it happened to pop up I'd be silly not to buy it.

I managed to finally get my first bricklink order from a local guy who had train motors but only the AA battery packs that don't fit in train. But those are cheap and I have a ton of rechargeable AA's so I figured why not? I just jammed the battery pack in the top which already makes it way top-heavy, then the unregulated speed from six AA's batteries just had it fly right off the track at the first turn. Was pretty amusing. I had been keeping semi-dead batteries around unsure if you could use them to just pass through voltage to regulate the speed but once they became fully dead that didn't work. So I ordered some knock-off AAA packs from aliexpress, but once you're on aliexpress then hey I may as well order some other stuff from the same seller, like a ton more extra track and the stuff to elevate the track and maybe I'll just bookmark some of these cool modular sets and the knockoff emerald night train and this hobby is such a loving rabbit hole I hate it.

Edit: and since the ali order will take over a month yes I am investigating dummy batteries to throw in those packs, but I'll resist getting them because when would I ever use them again once the real packs show up?

Yourwobb carries power motors accessories as well, and shipping typically takes ~10 days to the US. While poking through their new stuff, I just discovered they also have a set for the el dorado fortress that got rejected on ideas which I think will be a must buy for me once I replenish my budget :shepspends:

Aside from that, just finished the Mega Construx Viking ship!

It’s an excellent brick built ship, and the mast rigging even works to roll up and stow the mast. Quite solid build, and a very creative use of pieces to deliver the end result.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I finished up bag 3 of Corner Garage tonight. I'm loving some of the play features on the first floor.

I keep playing with the garage door and grinning like an idiot. It's so satisfying.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Just noticed the lego bookshop is up for backorders in the US.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Scipiotik posted:

Just noticed the lego bookshop is up for backorders in the US.

Looks like there was a re-stock in general. Canadian Store has Ecto-1 in stock, Razor Crest on backorder, among a few other things. Agh, tempted to order the Ecto-1 while I have a chance, but I kind of have enough of a backlog as-is and feel like I'd be better hoping to see if I can sync it up to some GWP in the future.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
That little ice rink is the GWP in the US still.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Should already have one of those coming cause I ordered the Lantern Festival.

Pirates of Barracuda Bay that I ordered from Amazon arrived - the box has some minor damage, and the middle tape on one of the flaps was broken... Ive heard of people occasionally getting tampered sets from Amazon :tinfoil: But I didn't seen any other obvious tampering, inner box was still sealed. It's probably fine.

Now the hardest part is going to be deciding on what set to build first. I got two modulars (Assembly & Police) and the Bay, so I'll probably do the bay in the middle. :v:

Nth Doctor posted:

I finished up bag 3 of Corner Garage tonight. I'm loving some of the play features on the first floor.

I keep playing with the garage door and grinning like an idiot. It's so satisfying.
Yeah, I really like the first floor of Corner Garage. The garage door is real neat and the car lift mechanism is a neat bit of "this is odd, why am I doing this... ooooh"

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Scipiotik posted:

I still want it for my holiday display next December, but I kind of need something on my wish list to come back in stock to actually order something. Gimmie that Diner lego!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, I really like the first floor of Corner Garage. The garage door is real neat and the car lift mechanism is a neat bit of "this is odd, why am I doing this... ooooh"

Yeah that was exactly my experience too. "I don't get why this is all here - oh that is so cool!"

I also like the crane mechanism on the tow truck. That's fun to screw around with.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

Yeah that was exactly my experience too. "I don't get why this is all here - oh that is so cool!"

I also like the crane mechanism on the tow truck. That's fun to screw around with.

Yeah, it's my favorite part of any set. I remember with the NES, the build for the cartridge door seems a bit odd at first cause you're like, doing it upsidown or something compared to the previous section, but it's so they can achieve the tiny little edge that sticks out.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Scipiotik posted:

When I ordered my police station modular (which has been stuck in a Chicago Fedex office for five days :() the GWP was a vintage car. Did they go back to the skating rink?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Yeah, the car came with my police station when I ordered, then I think a day or two later I saw it was the ice rink again. I assume they just ran out of the car and had ice rink a left over.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Carbohydrates posted:

And for those of us without Docks, maybe a little more like:

It would probably look better without the little pagoda in between them, honestly. The walkways just ending there is kind of weird. Then again, building a little catwalk/walkway to bridge them might be fun, too.

It looks like the Garden's balconies extend out past the baseplate, so you'd probably need to make some modifications to have it fit directly with the City on that side. Eyeballing the other pictures, you might be able to connect the Gardens to the other side of the City if you rotate the Gardens 90°.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kind of bummed they didn't make the gardens more of an extension of the docks. The right side of the docks looks a little unfinished and gardens just leaves it exposed.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

MaliciousOnion posted:

It looks like the Garden's balconies extend out past the baseplate, so you'd probably need to make some modifications to have it fit directly with the City on that side. Eyeballing the other pictures, you might be able to connect the Gardens to the other side of the City if you rotate the Gardens 90°.
I was assuming that the overhanging extended walkway bit was removable - like, a way to cap the catwalk if nothing is there to attach to it. Not sure!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Am I crazy and did something wrong, or did I find an impossible instruction?

The 1x3 plate does not fit there for me - the 5.5 axle goes too high. And because it rests in propeller piece, there's no way to reduce the clearance of the top part of the axle.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would guess the error is they tell you to put the axle through the cross the wrong way (that is, reverse the direction of the red arrow in the inset step one). If you insert for the other side I bet it fits.

I don't know that model though, this assumes there's room inside the helicopter for that extra length of axle.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't think you can do that because there are fins on the bottom of that cross piece.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think you can do that because there are fins on the bottom of that cross piece.

Is the axle flange maybe above the grille pieces?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I put those pieces together in Studio and I can't find anyway to do what those instructions ask.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It looks like the cross and the axle are reversed. The arrow shows the axle is supposed to come up from below. But the axle is shown being above the cross.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What set is it? Maybe google around for reports of the error.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I just tried it and it doesn’t work. LEGO hosed up.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

veni veni veni posted:

LEGO hosed up.

Par for the recent course.

Instructions.
Stock.
Calendars.
QA.

Wonder what is next.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
With regards to this layout, I like this but I felt like having the gap there without the upper walkways connecting looked kind of poor, so I threw together a bridge design - arched to let the pagoda show through as well as I can. And no Ninjago City-adjacent build is complete without a scale animal build somewhere.

And the slightly-fewer-ads version, since the visual density felt like a bit much:

This does rely heavily on 8x of the minifig posing stand in light bluish gray, which only comes with the new CMF beekeeper, though it would like decent with that part in its more common trans-clear as well.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Waltzing Along posted:

Wonder what is next.

You seen the new city streets???

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

What set is it? Maybe google around for reports of the error.
Didn't have much luck googling - a youtube presentation of the build popped up and they didn't seem to have issue with it? But I dont see what I did differently.

Found a yangbrings video, and they have it assembled and didnt mention it. Did I just get a weird axel or helicoptor flange thingy?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

What’s the complaint about the streets? It seems neat to me that small City sets now can include a piece of street where they could never fit a baseplate in the box before.

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

Yeah, based on the photos i really like the new streets. Seems way more flexible when you want to build a city.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm curious about the complaints as well - it certainly looks like you'd end up paying a bit more - and at first glance, I'm curious how well they'd go with / look with modulars. I think they'd be flush in height which might not look great. (Granted, that's not really their target audience) also, no curves yet.

I looked it up and the road lines are thankfully printed pieces. At first glance I assumed they were stickers.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The streets are:

a) too narrow for some of the cars that come with the sets that have them
b) don't come with the needed parts to connect them properly together
c) don't connect (yet, I assume Lego will release an adapter) to anything that stands on a baseplate...like modulars etc., and even if that adapter is made, the "older" sets are too low, so you have to rework them.

One can argue about prefering matte vs. shiny streets, or them no longer beeing compatible with the old baseplate streets, but them not even fitting the vehicles they come with is a bit...bad, imo?

Also no corners and stuff, but I just get the feeling they didn't think them through to the end....or want everyone to buy a lot of stuff to adapt them to older/modular sets.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Modulars and city stuff is not my thing but I’ve been looking to build a Stark lab. That might be a good shiny floor without having to match up a bunch of 2x4 tiles off bricklink.
E: I’m worried about quality and consistency of the tiles.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I had a lot of trouble with trans-clear parts from Lego (Old Trafford, Ship in a Bottle). Heavily scratched out of the box. I still am waiting for them to respond in regard to replacing them (I got perfect replacement parts now, from a different factory). Regarding tiles, I think Lego is currently up to par with GoBricks in regard to "perfect to slightly scratched to scratched" ratio. So I mostly go with GoBricks for MoCs and stuff, as there is nearly no difference in quality (clutch power, injection points are hidden anyway in those tiles) and they cost way less. Then again, it's not LEGO!

GoBricks nowadays packs the larger, plane transclear parts with a protector-sheet on....I hope Lego also does that soon

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

Didn't have much luck googling - a youtube presentation of the build popped up and they didn't seem to have issue with it? But I dont see what I did differently.

Found a yangbrings video, and they have it assembled and didnt mention it. Did I just get a weird axel or helicoptor flange thingy?

When they insert the axle, it's clear they did it two ways. Note how in the first attempt the little ridge is clearly visible, and then on the second attempt it's been pushed in further somehow.

So I dug matching parts out of my collection and it went together flawlessly.

pebcak? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Might be the perspective, but doesn't the axle protude more than the studs? Does the 1x3 plate fit flush over that?