Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Uh. I don't think that'll do much at this point. Since it's just about all community spread.

True.

It should have been done months ago though and for domestic flights as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Looking more into it, some judge in Argentina ordered a man with Covid to be treated with Chlorine

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/argentina-covid-treatment-judge-orders-chlorine-dioxide-internet-miracle-cure-disinfectant/

Amazingly, patient died

loving Latin America is constantly on fire it seems, the poorest are the most vulnerable to misinformation

Populism screwing everything up globally

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Uh. I don't think that'll do much at this point. Since it's just about all community spread.

Even if it's a false negative, that would still be due to low viral load. So if everyone on a plane had a negative test result _that day_, I would feel more confident in spending a couple of hours in a plane with them without as much fear of being infected myself. If the negative tests aren't that recent, though, it's not as meaningful. To your point, not going to affect spread in general at this point, of course.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mozi posted:

Even if it's a false negative, that would still be due to low viral load. So if everyone on a plane had a negative test result _that day_, I would feel more confident in spending a couple of hours in a plane with them without as much fear of being infected myself. If the negative tests aren't that recent, though, it's not as meaningful. To your point, not going to affect spread in general at this point, of course.

That's only if you are specifically on a plane entering the US from outside the US. It shouldn't make you feel comfortable to get on a plan flying within the US since no tests are required for that. That'd probably be mildly useful.

So the most infected place in the world doesn't want other people to come in here and infect us.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Looking more into it, some judge in Argentina ordered a man with Covid to be treated with Chlorine

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/argentina-covid-treatment-judge-orders-chlorine-dioxide-internet-miracle-cure-disinfectant/

Amazingly, patient died

loving Latin America is constantly on fire it seems, the poorest are the most vulnerable to misinformation

Populism screwing everything up globally

Snake oil treatments are all over the place over here. Medicines of dubious origin as well. Hell, one of my ex-bosses was treating his diabetes with homeopathy and people kept telling me how good was this homeopathic "doctor" and I should go and all my illness would go away~~~

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

That's only if you are specifically on a plane entering the US from outside the US. It shouldn't make you feel comfortable to get on a plan flying within the US since no tests are required for that. That'd probably be mildly useful.

So the most infected place in the world doesn't want other people to come in here and infect us.

Oh, I misread it, yeah. This is pretty useless.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
I am pissed at where I fall in the vaccine line up. I am in category 1C, even though I am immunocompromised AND work for a MAJOR utility company for a MAJOR city where our company infection rate is only going up every week.

I guess the government/CDC think the lights stay on by magic.

Fingers crossed I don't catch covid before 1C vaccinations begin.

Sorry if this sounds like 1st world problems, I just needed to vent.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Some Guy From NY posted:

I am pissed at where I fall in the vaccine line up. I am in category 1C, even though I am immunocompromised AND work for a MAJOR utility company for a MAJOR city where our company infection rate is only going up every week.

I guess the government/CDC think the lights stay on by magic.

Fingers crossed I don't catch covid before 1C vaccinations begin.

Sorry if this sounds like 1st world problems, I just needed to vent.

youre in luck! im sure def NOT because of cuomo's mismanagement they're gonna give up on the staged rollout before too long. im sure it will be blamed on the hospitals failures too.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Anyone have links to details about the new variant that's supposedly more likely to send kids to the hospital/morgue? More people need to see that, it might finally get people to support more than half measures.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.
Got the Moderna vaccine yesterday. Drive through vaccination, windows up the entire time except for the actual shot.

So far just a sore arm and a bit tired today, although that could be because I had a 6:30am meeting.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Someone check my thinking here on presymptomatic spread - this happens because the virus directly attacks the cells of the nose and lungs. This means, because these areas have a massive surface area, it's possible for the virus to get into thousands of cells at once. This in turn means the virus can have created billions of new copies in one go before the immune system has even noticed (because the immune system only gets involved once at least one cell has actually died, releasing all the new viruses, and is considerably less likely to notice if the infected cells are at the surface because a lot of the new virus goes out into the air rather than into the body).

Is that what's going on? Does that also explain why outcomes seem to be heavily reliant on the level of exposure? That is, if just a single virus particle gets into your system, your immune system will be able to get on top of it before it's been able to build up enough of a presence in your system to do serious damage, but if you just start snorting up infected phlegm the virus can be all round your body loving poo poo up before your white cells get the memo? Does this also explain asymptomatic spread? There's a "sweet spot" of amount of virus in your respiratory system where it can reproduce up to a level where you're breathing out enough virus to be a risk to people around you, but it's still not enough for the disease to actually take hold and your immune system sorts it out without needing all that fever, etc?

(No agenda or anything here, I'm not gonna start trying to sell UVC lights to go up your nose (although...), I'm just trying to get my head around how some people manage to be walking bioweapons without even noticing)

e: Followup - this presumably means that symptomatic people are still more of a risk, because coughing and sneezing spreads the virus further and more efficiently, so a vaccine that only prevents serious illness and reduces the amount of time for the immune system reaction is still worthwhile beyond the vaccinated person, it just doesn't disrupt transmission as much as one that would stop the virus at the front door?

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jan 13, 2021

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast
Asymptomatic people just talking or worse yelling or singing is more than enough to cause superspreading events.

Slow mo guy did a great little video looking at expelled microdroplets from talking and sneezing.

https://youtu.be/gZ66wJFD3bs&t=4m17s

B1.1.7 causes 10-100x higher viral load so it's hard to overstate just how infectious this is when you have less than very high mask compliance.

Blitter fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 13, 2021

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
I just finished a 2 week isolation 3 days ago due to a direct exposure (tested negative)

My kid gets the email today of a direct exposure in her class today. 2 weeks of isolation.

The cirrrrrcccllleeeeee of lliffffeeeeee

naem
May 29, 2011

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

Somehow navigated the Georgia Department of Health's vaccination program and managed to get my first Moderna jab today.

All I'm feeling at the moment is some arm soreness and the general blahs that I normally pull after a flu shot. Glad I got an appointment set up for the second dose at least, some coworkers who got their shot last week weren't so lucky... Georgia remains a super special place.

(Though the healthcare temps and nurses who were running the show today were awesome, I think there was a jab every 2 or 3 minutes the whole time I there.)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Strangest Finch posted:

Somehow navigated the Georgia Department of Health's vaccination program and managed to get my first Moderna jab today.

All I'm feeling at the moment is some arm soreness and the general blahs that I normally pull after a flu shot. Glad I got an appointment set up for the second dose at least, some coworkers who got their shot last week weren't so lucky... Georgia remains a super special place.

(Though the healthcare temps and nurses who were running the show today were awesome, I think there was a jab every 2 or 3 minutes the whole time I there.)
Are you picking up the 5G signals yet

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Are you picking up the 5G signals yet

Naw, I hope I got a big enough dose. Should I eat more tinfoil?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Just staple your phone to the top of your head and you should be good

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

My wife had her Pfizer jab on Monday and was a little sick with fatigue, soreness and temperature for about a day.

I was wondering if anyone has an article on why you’d have any side effects with an rna based vaccine? There’s no virus so it seems odd and I’d love to learn a bit more about it. I’ve read all the basic explainers of the rna vaccines on Twitter etc and I’m curious to learn more :)

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Bape Culture posted:

My wife had her Pfizer jab on Monday and was a little sick with fatigue, soreness and temperature for about a day.

I was wondering if anyone has an article on why you’d have any side effects with an rna based vaccine? There’s no virus so it seems odd and I’d love to learn a bit more about it. I’ve read all the basic explainers of the rna vaccines on Twitter etc and I’m curious to learn more :)

There's no virus, but your body doesn't know that. Your immune system ramps up, to attack the spike proteins that the RNA generates. The soreness and fatigue mean it's working.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 minutes!
Got my first Pfizer jab today, and I wept tears of black ichor as I bore witness to the walls of reality falling away to the cacaphonic of wailing of The Red Chorus. Also a little bit of arm soreness, no big deal

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm hopefully gonna get my first Pfizer jab tomorrow!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

can u plz tell the vaccine nanobots to make the PFE stock go up

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Bape Culture posted:

All those symptoms are part of your immune response, not any given disease itself.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
I just called out of work because I feel like I've developed mild covid symptoms. Headache for a couple days now, congestion in my sinuses, and a very weak but infrequent cough that started last night. Felt kind gross when I woke up but it's somewhat faded after breakfast and coffee.

Gonna go get tested later when sites open up. I have health insurance so at least some of the cost of testing should likely be covered right?

Edit: No fever yet. I get temp checked multiple times a day at work and haven't ever gone higher than 98.4.

weg fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jan 14, 2021

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Got my first Pfizer jab today, and I wept tears of black ichor as I bore witness to the walls of reality falling away to the cacaphonic of wailing of The Red Chorus. Also a little bit of arm soreness, no big deal

Have you been watching Timmy? Case in point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elo3AB00bRg&list=RDIONNEVEf7Ms&start_radio=1&rv=IONNEVEf7Ms

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

weg posted:

I just called out of work because I feel like I've developed mild covid symptoms. Headache for a couple days now, congestion in my sinuses, and a very weak but infrequent cough that started last night. Felt kind gross when I woke up but it's somewhat faded after breakfast and coffee.

Gonna go get tested later when sites open up. I have health insurance so at least some of the cost of testing should likely be covered right?

Edit: No fever yet. I get temp checked multiple times a day at work and haven't ever gone higher than 98.4.

See if you can get an oximeter. Everyone should get one

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

smoobles posted:

There's no virus, but your body doesn't know that. Your immune system ramps up, to attack the spike proteins that the RNA generates. The soreness and fatigue mean it's working.

I’m dumb as hell and didn’t really understand it I guess. I thought it was like giving a someone a book about poison vs a little bit of weak poison. Like I thought somehow your body just received instructions. Thanks!

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Bape Culture posted:

I’m dumb as hell and didn’t really understand it I guess. I thought it was like giving a someone a book about poison vs a little bit of weak poison. Like I thought somehow your body just received instructions. Thanks!
using the poison metaphor, have a very silly but hopefully understandable simile:

if the danger for you is getting poked by syringes with poison needles, then the vaccine is like poking yourself with empty syringes a lot.

your body won't get used to the poison, and it'll hurt. but the skin where you poke will get tougher over time, which helps keep the needles and thus the poison out.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

Bape Culture posted:

That's not a dumb thing to think. Sometimes the mRNA vaccines are described as giving your body instructions because that's what they do.

It's a two part process though. The mRNA are instructions showing a cell how to make the spike protein so when you get the injection those instructions get into the cells near the injection site and the cells are like 'hell yeah stuff to do' and start building the spike protein from the instructions.

Then the second part is where the fever/fatigue/headache symptoms come in. When your cells create the protein they stick it on their surfaces to show off their work and your immune cells stop by and are like "what the gently caress" and freak out. Some of the cells may also die naturally and spill the protein all over which, again, causes your immune cells to get real mad. They mosey back to your lymph nodes and make a scene about this foreign protein which starts part of the targeted immune response including the fever.

The immune system is crazy complicated so some details may be slightly off but that's the general process.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

weg posted:

I’ve had bad allergies like that before

You get headaches from a lot of sinus pressure

But to be safe if this is something not normal I would get tested yeah

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

rt4 posted:

Is there a recommended brand to look for so you don't order a chinese knockoff that is just a plastic case with a chip in it that displays one of five random reasonable-sounding numbers and has weights inside of it to make it feel expensive?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Tagra posted:

Is there a recommended brand to look for so you don't order a chinese knockoff that is just a plastic case with a chip in it that displays one of five random reasonable-sounding numbers and has weights inside of it to make it feel expensive?

Not a fan of Beats Oximeter by Dre?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Just filled out a form to be considered to get a vaccine in the next rollout in my county, lol. Like some lovely lottery where you don't get money but instead maybe get the ability to not die from an infectious disease.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
For smart people in here --- what are some talking points to give my mom to encourage her to get the vaccine if she's worried about how quickly it was developed?

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

7of7 posted:

That's not a dumb thing to think. Sometimes the mRNA vaccines are described as giving your body instructions because that's what they do.

It's a two part process though. The mRNA are instructions showing a cell how to make the spike protein so when you get the injection those instructions get into the cells near the injection site and the cells are like 'hell yeah stuff to do' and start building the spike protein from the instructions.

Then the second part is where the fever/fatigue/headache symptoms come in. When your cells create the protein they stick it on their surfaces to show off their work and your immune cells stop by and are like "what the gently caress" and freak out. Some of the cells may also die naturally and spill the protein all over which, again, causes your immune cells to get real mad. They mosey back to your lymph nodes and make a scene about this foreign protein which starts part of the targeted immune response including the fever.

The immune system is crazy complicated so some details may be slightly off but that's the general process.

This is a phenomenal and on point description, thank you for for this.

Little update on myself. I'm a week out from pfizer dose 2 and fine, my lymph nodes have calmed down, I'm not really tired anymore and I was able to get back to normal workouts last night.

Now if only I could catch covid next week to build up IgA in addition to IgG and I know I won't pass it on as much as well!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Full Metal Jackass posted:

For smart people in here --- what are some talking points to give my mom to encourage her to get the vaccine if she's worried about how quickly it was developed?

From my quick reading it seems most vaccine trials have like 5000 people or something. This had hundreds of thousands. And a lot more man hours/money working on it. Governments had their governing bodies working on it full time instead of it sitting on someone’s desk for months etc

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’ve had bad allergies like that before

You get headaches from a lot of sinus pressure

But to be safe if this is something not normal I would get tested yeah

I have had allergies off an on throughout 2020 and have been worried in the past, but after a day they start to get better. This feels a little different than those episodes, but I haven't lost my sense of smell or taste or felt full on flu symptoms yet. I also had my flu shot in October so it's probably not flu.

The main reason I'm worried is that my job is delivering medical supplies and I was inside 40 primary care facilities yesterday, nearing 100+ for the week. Ironically the company I work for is the primary distributor for the vaccine but they haven't been able to get an allotment for their own workers yet. I always wear a mask when I go anywhere outside of my home, van or car and am regularly washing and sanitizing. There is a pretty small chance I could have spread it to others but I get paid emergency sick leave so I'm not going to risk spreading it if I don't have to.

I'm now on quarantine until the 25th and can return to work on the 26th. If I test negative I can get cleared to go back sooner, but we only get 14 days of paid covid leave for the year so I want to save any unused time for if I actually do get sick. I'm thankful that I have a better situation than a lot of other workers. Here's to hoping I get good news in the next day or so.

rt4 posted:

This is a good idea, thanks for pointing this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I'm not a smart person by any means but I do recall hearing the explanation being that normally they can sorta take their time on vaccines but when everybody in the industry focuses on the task of making a vaccine for this specific thing and only works on that it's possible to get it done much quicker than usual.