Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I get increasingly more anxious as this goes on because my boss is starting to do the thing where he's assigning people tasks that has to be done in our office where our lab is so we have no choice but to go in for a day or a week and the only response is ":shrug: gotta get it done somehow, so get it done!" He's worked in the office every day since the quarantine started last year and is one of those people whose entire identity is wrapped up in his work and brags about how he's never taken a vacation days in the 13 years he's worked for the company so he can't comprehend why we wouldn't want to be in the office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
I went from Tucson to Vancouver to be with my boyfriend, and am slowly going insane without anything to do. I want to do volunteering until I can legally work, but it's difficult to find anything + fear of rona.

I keep telling myself that future me will be thankful I didn't gently caress around and find out but goddamn am I going nuts!

I saw an article that Pima County is bringing in refrigerated trucks for all the extra rona corpses and feel only slightly better
:negative:

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Pyrtanis posted:

I went from Tucson to Vancouver to be with my boyfriend, and am slowly going insane without anything to do. I want to do volunteering until I can legally work, but it's difficult to find anything + fear of rona.

I keep telling myself that future me will be thankful I didn't gently caress around and find out but goddamn am I going nuts!

I saw an article that Pima County is bringing in refrigerated trucks for all the extra rona corpses and feel only slightly better
:negative:

Wait your in Vancouver with nothing to do?

Go the gently caress hiking.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Saalkin posted:

Wait your in Vancouver with nothing to do?

Go the gently caress hiking.

to be more specific, New Westminster

it's winter, I've been here for a month and a half, and I'm from Tucson (desert) so not exactly equipped

also I was in my apartment in Tucson leaving once a week since June, not in the best condition to hike, hence wanting to volunteer to recondition myself a bit

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Pyrtanis posted:

it's winter, I've been here for a month and a half, and I'm from Tucson (desert) so not exactly equipped

also I was in my apartment in Tucson leaving once a week since June, not in the best condition to hike, hence wanting to volunteer to recondition myself a bit

Being from a desert climate maybe I'll let that slide but googleing the current temperature you got, that's spring weather here. (near Toronto)

From my understanding that area had some of best access to really good hiking and great weather for it nearly all year long. You should take advantage instead of being suck instead losing your mind.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Pyrtanis posted:

Try finding some cheap or free online classes. Tons ofcommunity colleges are doing all online learning so you have a lot options.

Could be just for funsies or a professional development type class, but something you sign up and commit to weekly will help get a nice routine going and it's zero Covid risk. Basically exercise for your brain.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Pyrtanis posted:

You could do birdwatching

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/OregonGovBrown/status/1350109252807913473
https://twitter.com/OregonGovBrown/status/1350109254955352065

:tif:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
My arm's a bit sore from the jab, but I'm fine. Actually feeling a bit happier now that I'm not quite at risk.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
so this is slightly tangential but what do you tell someone with asthma who can't do long retail shifts with a mask on but also needs to work?
No PC so they can't even do simple online work such as transcription.
They (she) wants to make an OF but doesn't even have a bank account; also bad credit.
All of those personal factors, plus Corona, has really screwed up people across all demographics.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

This is the kind of poo poo that should have Trump brought up for impeachment (again).

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

teen witch posted:

I’m currently in a train car commuting from work with six people sans mask and I want to pull the e brake and start screaming in their face. But alas it’s legal and totally fine for them to not wear a mask, and I’ll get deported if I pull a stunt.

I have my issues towards the US as I always will, as a nonwhite American, for the usual reasons, but towards Sweden I truly cannot describe in either language how I feel. Ten thousand unnecessary deaths.

Like, I oscillate between rage and longing, with a day to day middle ground of productive despair. I’ve not had Covid (yet), but it has taken so much from me. I’m lucky in not losing someone significant but the loss of...I don’t know, goodwill? hope? is incalculable.

You're not responsible for these people, just keep on masking up whenever you go out and maybe someone will follow your example. As for the lack of words, my Swedish is not good, but you can always start by saying "jävla" a lot.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Just heard my great uncle is being airlifted to Billings because his covid got worse. His son died last week from it. He has some sort of intellectual disability (never diagnosed because he grew up in the 40s on a remote farm in Montana) so he never really had a chance at avoiding it under present circumstances. I don't know him very well but he is a really nice guy and I'm just shattered he's going to go this way, all because the system that should have been protecting vulnerable people like him didn't care. And now his wife is going to be alone in a long term care facility and we can't even visit her.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:sympathy:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Sjs00 posted:

so this is slightly tangential but what do you tell someone with asthma who can't do long retail shifts with a mask on but also needs to work?
They (she) wants to make an OF but doesn't even have a bank account; also bad credit.
All of those personal factors, plus Corona, has really screwed up people across all demographics.

Do they qualify for disability from asthma?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Sjs00 posted:

How do they handle a visor? It's a bit less comfortable to wear, but should be better in terms of breathing.

That's about all I've got, on the assumption they're in a place where they can't get disability or unemployment support or negiotiate a work schedule that allows them to take breathing breaks.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I'm not sure why asthma is some protected disease from a mask considering they don't lower SpO2 levels...

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

This leads me to believe that the "stockpile" was just cover for giving away doses to Trump cronies.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
imho people with asthma should be entirely exempt from having to go outside for the duration of the pandemic which attacks the respiratory system

Any policy about mask usage related to people with respiratory conditions is calling for them to go out and die in the name of capitalism.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Scarodactyl posted:

Just heard my great uncle is being airlifted to Billings because his covid got worse. His son died last week from it. He has some sort of intellectual disability (never diagnosed because he grew up in the 40s on a remote farm in Montana) so he never really had a chance at avoiding it under present circumstances. I don't know him very well but he is a really nice guy and I'm just shattered he's going to go this way, all because the system that should have been protecting vulnerable people like him didn't care. And now his wife is going to be alone in a long term care facility and we can't even visit her.

This is sad, definitely feeling for you

We're having another set of dummies demonstrate against Covid restrictions tomorrow, grinds my gears.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

Platystemon posted:

Did they have you park for fifteen minutes for observation afterward?

Yep! Had a thumbs up thumbs down sign they flashed twice so I could let them know if anything was off via hand signals, and then I was on my way.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Puppy Galaxy posted:

yeah I'm completely numb at this point, cautiously optimistic with the vaccine on the horizon
I reached that point awhile ago. All we can really do at this point is wait, because the vaccines are at least being (slowly) distributed and until we have the change in government nothing's going to happen for some time.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

imho people with asthma should be entirely exempt from having to go outside for the duration of the pandemic which attacks the respiratory system

Any policy about mask usage related to people with respiratory conditions is calling for them to go out and die in the name of capitalism.

Yeah, this. Asthma sufferers have issues breathing on a normal day, but asthma meds amplify your risk of Covid-19 illness even more.

I don't understand how a light surgical mask or something like that would pose a problem. Granted, my asthma is more or less under control. Even after this is all over, I'll probably keep wearing masks when I'm working outside, because it cuts down on the dirt I have to inhale otherwise.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I think I'll actually miss masks once the pandemic recedes far enough elton bring them out of use. For one thing I find them cozy in the cold months.

But I've also noticed that they alleviate the social anxiety that I sometimes have. Seeing less of other people's faces makes being in public less stressful to me.

Wondering if that's common.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Masks make it difficult for me to see and judge facial expressions. I have to work a lot harder in social situations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Scarodactyl posted:

This is terrible. I've had older relatives and friends be hospitalized with and during covid. One of them was recovering from a stroke and getting used to being paralyzed while in lockdown isolation for 3 months.

An old friend receiving covid from a first responder after an accident, fighting for his life on oxygen, all alone.

And it seems like no one cares. So much suffering. I am feeling for you, really. None of this is fair. Your loved ones deserve better.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Violet_Sky posted:

Masks make it difficult for me to see and judge facial expressions. I have to work a lot harder in social situations.

Right, that's what makes those situations easier for me. I don't work with people anymore so I don't have to empathize with people so the mask doesn't impede that. I kinda appreciate the extra distance it creates. And that reveals a need that I didn't know I had this way.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Lord Stimperor posted:

I think I'll actually miss masks once the pandemic recedes far enough elton bring them out of use. For one thing I find them cozy in the cold months.

But I've also noticed that they alleviate the social anxiety that I sometimes have. Seeing less of other people's faces makes being in public less stressful to me.

Wondering if that's common.

I agree. The mask helps in the winter here in WI. I think it might be ok to wear it in winter months after the pandemic (lol). Just good advice to keep away from the flu.

Violet_Sky posted:

Also agree. I try to speak more with my eyes now.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Behavioral observation tip: when you see someone that you already know, their eyebrows tend to go up if they are actually glad to see you. Or at least this is what I've been told, could just be bullshit.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
all that poo poo is brutally culturally specific to american psych college freshmen. like, some poo poo wont even replicate to history undergrads, nevermind like actually different people

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
:wiggle:

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Behavioral observation tip: when you see someone that you already know, their eyebrows tend to go up if they are actually glad to see you. Or at least this is what I've been told, could just be bullshit.

If they go up twice then they’re into you

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Woodsy Owl posted:

If they go up twice then they’re into you

If only one goes up then they're onto you

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I honestly want people to wear masks if they get sick with whatever but lol they won't

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Nothing to see here wear your masks

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

So basically Trump was lying his rear end off. What a surprise.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Violet_Sky posted:

Deaf people are gonna be turbofucked, with lip reading being impossible.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Gynovore posted:

Deaf people are gonna be turbofucked, with lip reading being impossible.

Deaf people have been making people write poo poo down for a long time . A friend of mine growing up had deaf parents and they were worldy as anyone. They're definitely old now though and shouldn't even be outside to interact with people anyway.
Its so depressing seeing so many people outside.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

We got a presentation at work this week from a ucsf doctor about mask effectiveness. She talked about the studies where researchers put masks on golden syrian hamsters which must have been the cutest thing ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
My mom's results from her second coronavirus test are due in a couple days she tested negative for the first one and she's made a total recovery so she's got some kind of illness that comes and goes but maybe it's not coronavirus. (I live with her now.)

Now I am realizing that fairly soon she's going to get vaccinated and I won't be able to. That is going to be a mother loving nightmare.

Starting to have problems with anxiety again and now I guess I have psoriasis which I have never had before. So I am making GBS threads. Instead of the hope that I had for a couple weeks now I'm even more nervous