Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Horikoshi is really trying to finish this series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

SKULL.GIF posted:

Really dense chapter.

Did AFO deliberately plan for Shigaraki to fail and allow these various villains to get locked up in Tartarus so they could be ready to escape when an outside raid was happening?

Probably not, Shigaraki succeeding would also further his plans.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I know this has been repeated multiple times throughout this series, but now seems a good time to request international aid.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I dont think its so much “planned for shifaraki to fail” as “hey, theres all these semi-allied villains here, may as well make use”

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

all for one planned for deku to get ofa

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Aurora posted:

all for one planned for deku to get ofa

He had big plans for his son.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Just completely loving up Tartarus in a single chapter was a lot faster than expected. Although I liked the explanation - you really can't do poo poo against two AfO's that are basically mind-linked together, even if you are high security anti-quirk prison. Also, there are now two AfO's out there connected with a hive mind, that's kinda really bad news for MHA Japan.

Also the electric(?) lady has a really neat design and, while it's pretty late to introduce new characters, I'm still pretty curious about her.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
She's just the end boss for Momo to beat when she ingeniously creates rubber shoes

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Mustard isn't shown here despite being captured along with Moonfish and Muscular. Tried as a minor, I guess.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

None of this would've happened if Magellan was on duty.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

A bit late to the discussion but for me the big tip off that Tartarus was a super hosed up place was when we saw that AfO is kept in an empty cell, tied to a chair and in a full body straight jacket seemingly 24/7.

I mean, I know that he's AfO and everything but christ that is insanely unethical. I'd go nuts within the week of that. He's been there for months.

Sana-kan
Nov 6, 2009
Wonder if the electric lady is related to Kaminari somehow. Could fuel the Kaminari is the traitor theory

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
This will be over by the end of the year at this rate.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sana-kan posted:

Wonder if the electric lady is related to Kaminari somehow. Could fuel the Kaminari is the traitor theory

Why do you think she is electric?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

Why do you think she is electric?

Look at the panel where she's opening Overhaul's cell door. The other villains break through their doors using their Quirks (hence the comment about Tartarus's automated defenses not immediately gunning them down), but it looks like without the electricity powering the Tartarus network these doors default to sealed shut. She charges the door with electricity, powering the opening mechanism.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Nephthys posted:

A bit late to the discussion but for me the big tip off that Tartarus was a super hosed up place was when we saw that AfO is kept in an empty cell, tied to a chair and in a full body straight jacket seemingly 24/7.

I mean, I know that he's AfO and everything but christ that is insanely unethical. I'd go nuts within the week of that. He's been there for months.

I mean, yes, that's pretty hosed up. On the other hand, do you want to loosen the binds on the guy who can only be defeated by someone who is presently depowered?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eej posted:

She's just the end boss for Momo to beat when she ingeniously creates rubber shoes

I'm not sure she's going to be purely a villain. It's not just the look either (female villains in the past have tended to have designs with a little more sinister to them). It's her behavior. She's not excited about the break as much as she's noting that everything is falling apart, and her pause before letting Overhaul out is paneled in a "I guess I should..." style rather than like it was her plan all along.

What's more, she appears for the scene of the guard describing everyone there as subhuman in language we're clearly meant to disagree with. Since everyone else we see is the worst of the worst, feels like she's there for the counterpoint.

With Twice gone, we do need another victim of circumstances villain, and she fits the role better than anyone else we see participating in the breakout.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Maybe she's a political prisoner or something.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I mean, yes, that's pretty hosed up. On the other hand, do you want to loosen the binds on the guy who can only be defeated by someone who is presently depowered?

Well he is blind, on life support and with turrets ready to blow his brains out if he even thinks of using a quirk. I don't think a (braille?) book is going to let him kill anybody. Heck, there's less risk of that then having something like a life support machine in the same room as him.

I'd be more humane to just execute him tbh.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 18, 2021

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Well he is blind, on life support and with turrets ready to blow his brains out if he even thinks of using a quirk. I don't think a (braille?) book is going to let him kill anybody. Heck, there's less risk of that then having something like a life support machine in the same room as him.

I'd be more humane to just execute him tbh.

I mean, All Might caved his head in and that didn't work. I'm not sure any of them know how to kill him. Sure the turrets will probably put him down for a while, but who knows for how long.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SKULL.GIF posted:

Look at the panel where she's opening Overhaul's cell door. The other villains break through their doors using their Quirks (hence the comment about Tartarus's automated defenses not immediately gunning them down), but it looks like without the electricity powering the Tartarus network these doors default to sealed shut. She charges the door with electricity, powering the opening mechanism.

I thought she was just using her quirk to strength herself or move the door handle, and Overhaul could not force it open due to having no hands.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
There's definitely some kind of special effect around her hands, but I dunno if we can definitely say electricity or anything yet.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Someone earlier was wondering if Tartarus being so bad was a translation issue or something, but the official translation establishes that it's even worse. "Your quirk is too dangerous for us to respect your rights as a human being or care if you're actually proven guilty or not" is already a hosed up position, but even people who aren't potential massacres waiting to happen are there, just for being suspected of being involved in a sufficiently dangerous event (since, again, you don't actually have to be sentenced to get locked up there, so even assuming 100% accurate convictions, which is already absurd, you can get stuck there when you're not actually guilty). We also have Overhaul there, who did do some genuinely awful stuff, but effectively has no quirk at all and also, you know, no hands. Still thrown in a locked room with no external sources of stimulus to rot until he dies. Even the ones who are dangerous and did do awful things aren't being helped by this place; Moonfish is one of the people in the "look at all these subhuman freaks" page, and I'm pretty sure leaving him in a locked room with nothing to do but press his head into the wall isn't making him better. Edit: Oh, and Stain's there too, on the same floor and same full body containment as All For One I think, and his quirk is very much on the weaker side; he relied on his training, weapons, and the element of surprise in being such an effective killer, and those don't warrant that level of security for him. Edit again: Though looking at the aforementioned page again, that might be Stain in the bottom-right corner, so maybe he was let out of total constraint eventually. Also Moonfish is either bleeding on or eating a hole in the wall in his panel.

The place is just a giant, unaccountable crime against humanity. It's a hole where the government puts people it wants to disappear forever, so it doesn't even get the utilitarian argument of "everyone here is too potentially dangerous to risk letting them escape" in its favor because some people there aren't that dangerous.

RatHat posted:

Maybe she's a political prisoner or something.

That's entirely possible, given that "danger" is apparently not the deciding factor for getting locked up there. Or she could have been some high-profile but nonviolent criminal; if she's another electric person, she could have done some hacking or breaking-and-entering into high-security places or something, for example, and pissed off the wrong powerful person.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 18, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Rhonne posted:

I mean, All Might caved his head in and that didn't work. I'm not sure any of them know how to kill him. Sure the turrets will probably put him down for a while, but who knows for how long.

Well they did bring up using missiles to kill Gigantomachia but said that was too unethical, lol.

Surely you could just get Erasurehead to stand in the room and snap his neck or something. I doubt it would be hard of they really tried.

EDIT: Also, Roland is right in that AfO is only scratching the surface for how terrible this place is.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 18, 2021

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I'm glad the translator trivia mentioned that the one guard was probably Meatball guy's dad because I had actually already thought the guard uniforms reminded me a lot of the overall Shiketsu uniforms, but it's really more just Meatball's specifically. Clear to see where his son got his lovely ideals from though. I don't think his dad's going to get out of that encounter with AFO alive though.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

If bullets don't work on Machia how did they plan to hold him? Part of Tartarus security is the instant death from mounted turret if prisoners use their quirks -- it's why AFO wasn't able to pull out something from his endless bag of quirks. If that's not a threat then they can't really hold Machia since he could just grow and break his restraints.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
If they can restrain him it doesn't really matter whether or not bullets can hurt him, and he would probably be pretty docile without AfO around to motivate him.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

who the gently caress cares about the ethics of imprisoning an rear end in a top hat villain that is extremely irredeemable, like drat why do you care so bad. some people deserve it

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Physical presence due to a dangerous quirk shouldn't be an issue for getting any of them a fair trial, even All for One, seeing as how we have so much remote activity going on due to the pandemic, but I know that doesn't have anything to do with the Guantanamo Bay-type thing he's going for, as in "too dangerous to risk a prosecutor botching the case (which we've already botched due to torture)" type reasons

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The height of comedy would be All For One getting acquitted because there's no actual evidence of him being Shadow Emperor of Japan.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Aurora posted:

who the gently caress cares about the ethics of imprisoning an rear end in a top hat villain that is extremely irredeemable, like drat why do you care so bad. some people deserve it

Maybe AfO personally deserves it, but it’s still a terrible precedent. We don’t know anything about the electric woman; how can you say she deserves it?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
I feel like the whole "leveled half a city in an instant" thing might carry the case pretty easily.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

Maybe AfO personally deserves it, but it’s still a terrible precedent. We don’t know anything about the electric woman; how can you say she deserves it?

she's just in superjail bro, not every villain has guns trained at them 24/7 like the literal epitome of villainy in the world of mha

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

gotta say it's a weird tack to take that they're being too harsh on afo, somehow.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i have to imagine that discussions about raft in marvel circles is just as insufferable as this

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Aurora posted:

i have to imagine that discussions about raft in marvel circles is just as insufferable as this

western superhero comics incarceration discourse mainly focuses around the many, many failings of Arkham Asylum.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Blockhouse posted:

western superhero comics incarceration discourse mainly focuses around the many, many failings of Arkham Asylum.

On one hand Joker escapes every tuesday, but on the other hand the Riddler always leaves fun trophies to find when that happens so it's impossible to say if Arkham is a bad prison or not.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
In conclusion, AfO did nothing wrong.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's a little strange that people are focusing on the one guard being unsympathetic and the conditions of the prison given that the rest of the chapter proves him correct with the prisoners killing people by the dozen and breaking out the moment they were able to use their quirks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

clearly these people are deserving of our sympathy, much like vegeta