Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Are the Jedi in that era allowed to experience love?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Gripweed posted:

Are the Jedi in that era allowed to experience love?

The ban on romantic attachment is still in place, but the first novel ends with one of the lead, Avar Kriss, and her old temple crush sharing a quiet moment and speculating if maybe the ban is a bad thing so I think the series is gonna poke at the concept a bit

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I'm about a third of the way through Light of the Jedi.

Star Wars has pretty much always been airport fiction, but this one is probably the most bog-standard archetypical example of that subgenre I can recall reading.

It's fine. It's definitely not good. It has a lot of lazy writing. I couldn't give less of a poo poo about any of these characters. The setup for the new era is, so far, very underwhelming. I still keep reading it though, largely because the chapters are like four pages long and it makes for great "read in bed for twenty minutes before falling asleep" fodder.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Just started Light of the Jedi. The writing feels young adult-y in a bad way but whatever. I'm willing to put up with a lot in order to get back to new republic-esque stuff. That was always my favorite time period in the EU and I pretty much wrote off the sequel trilogy for sidestepping the issue of "what the hell happened to the New Republic?" and blowing it up with very little fanfare in episode 7. High Republic seems like it's hopefully going to give me some of that same buzz with the added bonus of leading into the prequels (which, while bad movies, are bad movies I happen to like, mostly because of nostalgia).

Very happy to hear it's pissing off nerds. The idea of them, right off the bat, using this hundreds-of-years-in-the-past setting to very awkwardly justify something that happens in the last jedi is extremely funny. it's so stupid, I honestly respect it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I mean it's not like ramming something at or near to Lightspeed is this unknown thing prior to TLJ. We see it in Clone Wars, Han talks about the risks of a badly aimed jump in ANH. The nerds making GBS threads themselves over TLJ are mostly just performatively mad

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I haven't read the book under discussion, or seen the movie where it happens. But wouldn't it be easy to say that lightspeed ramming is very rarely done because if your aim is off by even the tiniest amount you'll miss? Presumably you have to start building speed from a fairly significant distance in order to actually be at lightspeed when you hit your target, and since you're going at lightspeed you won't have time to adjust your course after you start. So if you're like a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a degree off when you start speeding up, by the time you get to your opponent you'll shoot past thousands of miles away.

That seems like it would neatly explain why it's not a common tactic while still allowing for the one in a billion chance where somebody pulls it off.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Pretty much. The only reason TRoS felt the need to call out in dialog thst it was a wild one in a million chance was to placate those who were still turbo mad about it.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Presumably you have to start building speed from a fairly significant distance in order to actually be at lightspeed

Have you ever seen star wars

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Van Dis posted:

Have you ever seen star wars

Yeah when they jump to lightspeed there's a bit of time where you see the stars stretching out before they reach lightspeed. It's only like a second, but if you're moving so fast that the stars are stretching out then presumably you are moving a very long distance in that time since your perspective on the location of the stars is changing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've played XWing. Your MGLT meter goes through the roof as you accelerate to light speed before the stars warp and you enter hyperspace.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Yeah when they jump to lightspeed there's a bit of time where you see the stars stretching out before they reach lightspeed. It's only like a second, but if you're moving so fast that the stars are stretching out then presumably you are moving a very long distance in that time since your perspective on the location of the stars is changing.

Do you think Holdo's ship was moving at lightspeed

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Van Dis posted:

Do you think Holdo's ship was moving at lightspeed

I don't know who that is. I thought we were talking about a ship ramming another ship at lightspeed. That happens in one of the Star Wars movies, right?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Gripweed posted:

I don't know who that is. I thought we were talking about a ship ramming another ship at lightspeed. That happens in one of the Star Wars movies, right?

I suppose it is debatable, since her ship was pretty close and if X-Wing (PC, 1994) rules prevail she was merely traveling "really fast" though not at lightspeed

Either way it is a distinction without a difference

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Malevolence hyperspace rammed a planet and it had to speed up a bit before smacking into the surface.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

In the end of Rogue One, a Rebel ship also jumps into lightspeed before then hitting Vader's star destroyer as it leaves hyperspace.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Chairman Capone posted:

In the end of Rogue One, a Rebel ship also jumps into lightspeed before then hitting Vader's star destroyer as it leaves hyperspace.

Almost--the Star Destroyer exits hyperspace, and a rebel transport ship going at sub-light speed (probably spooling up for hyperspace) crashes directly into it. Given what we know, that was actually a close call for the Star Destroyer given how many ships were close to its entry point.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The focus on hyperspace ramming in Light of the Jedi is well and good but I guess most people are conveniently forgetting that this author gave us a now really easy, low-cost way of destroying an entire solar system by just hurling a large cargo container filled with Tibanna gas at the system's sun.

I mean I guess it's ameliorated a bit by making that sun some rare, made up "type-R" thing that reacts specially to Tibanna, but still, of the hundreds of thousands of settled systems in the Republic, how many of those would be affected?

Anyway I'm reading further and these Nihil space pirate edgelords are the loving worst villains. Then again I guess my credibility in judging that is a bit questionable; I did like the Yuuzhan Vong, after all, in concept if not necessarily in ultimate execution.

Also someone mentioned it before, either in this thread or in a Goodreads review, but it's really blatant once you notice it: this book is all about throwing a bunch of names and characters out there just to see what sticks, so they can build a franchise around the characters people like and quietly dump the rest. It's the worst kind of writing-by-committee.

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 12, 2021

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I may just not be far in enough but I don't understand if the Nihil are supposed to have a coherent ideology or if they're just as lazy as the Reavers in Firefly.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Roth posted:

I may just not be far in enough but I don't understand if the Nihil are supposed to have a coherent ideology or if they're just as lazy as the Reavers in Firefly.

This gets addressed as the book goes on

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

jivjov posted:

"We believe in nothing, LebowskiJedi!"

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

jivjov posted:

Yeah, I thought this was one aspect that came together pretty well. Still to be determined if they will be refined into a more calculating force, but it seems that Marchion is going to try to make them into something more than a generic "rah-rah plunder!" group that they started as.

They seem to have the technology to become more deadly, it'll just be a matter of person power. And with the Nihil being composed of many species, it seems like they could draw in lots of people/factions potentially wary of the Republic's spread.

I also finished A Test of Courage.

Thought it was a solid entry aimed at 7-13 year olds. Appears to take place about 80% of the way into Light of Jedi. It's a fairly straight forward story, with some varied teen characters being put into a stressful situation after they escape the Nihil destruction of their ship. I like the main Jedi Vern, who brings lightwhips back into canon again. She appears to be a 18ish old Jedi Knight prodigy, who is well on her way to being one of the important Jedi characters going forward. Her ease and natural affinity for the Force bring some jealousy/anger out in the younger PTSD'd Padawan Imri who is thrown into the situation with her. After Imri's Master was killed by the Nihil earlier in the story, Vern is tasked with being his master at the end. Should set up a nice dynamic for when they appear again.

Teek fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 12, 2021

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Something kind of interesting I found recently - it turns out Rise of Skywalker had concept work done for World Devastators, in case anyone thought that the idea of Palpatine's clone wasn't directly lifted from Dark Empire:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

My second Star Wars novel also wasn't a novel. Canto Bight is four novellas about the Super Las Vegas city of Canto Bight.

Rules of the Game by Saladin Ahmed
A naive salesman wins a trip to Canto Bight and is taken advantage of before ending up entangled in the plot of a master assasin
This was OK. I think it would've worked better as a novel. The character turns when the salesman is like, "oh yeah salesmen lie all the time, they're lying to me, I know how to lie back" isn't developed to at all, it's just like a switch that gets flipped. Same with the assassins change of heart. The author throws like a dozen reasons at you for it but none of them really justify the master assassin deciding to gently caress up his job and make enemies of his crime syndicate to save the life of this rube. If the two had been palling around for longer, got into some antics together, had time to build a relationship and rub off on each other, it would've worked way better. As is, its kinda ehh

The Wine in Dreams by Rae Carson
The galaxy's greatest sommelier tries to buy a bottle of wine that may be from another universe. Pretty bad. I don't want to judge Star Wars writers as a group. But I get the vibe that on average they are more likely to enjoy a rare Funk Pop than the finer luxuries of life like expensive wine. This whole story is built around descriptions of glamor and luxury and high flying rich people, and they all fall flat. And it's time to actually describe the taste of this amazing wine, the best they can come up with is basically "It's like every kind of wine at once". So people are willing to pay a king's ransom for what is essentially a wine suicide.

Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing by Mira Grant
A masseuse with a past tries to avoid becoming a spy for the mob, but is forced to break out his old skills when a mob boss kidnaps his daughter. Strongest story of the collection. A good standard pulp story with a sci-fi Star Wars skin over it. If they do a whole novel about the masseuse on some kind of adventure, I'd buy it.

The Ride by John Jackson Miller
When a professional gambler has to win 800,000 dollars in one night to save his life, he falls in with three weird frog men who throw everything he knows out the window and teach him the true meaning of gambling. This one was fun. Very silly without going into monkeycheese territory, fairly light characters, just a bit of fun.

So overall I'd say Canto Bight is alright. Only one of the stories is a total dud, the other three kept me reasonably entertained all the way through. 2 and a half stars

But there's one more thing. I haven't seen most of the new Star Wars movies, so I didn't know what these characters look like. But the book thoughtfully provides pictures. They're in the middle of the book, a little bit into the third story. So it was only after I had finished reading the second story that I discovered that the galaxy's greatest sommelier had a giant moist anus for a mouth

So I might be overly harsh on the second story. If I had known all along that Derla Pidys, sommelier to the stars, had a giant anus glistening anus in the middle of her face, I probably would've enjoyed it a lot more.

Where's the Derla Pidys action figure, Hasbro?

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Robot Style posted:

Something kind of interesting I found recently - it turns out Rise of Skywalker had concept work done for World Devastators, in case anyone thought that the idea of Palpatine's clone wasn't directly lifted from Dark Empire:

That would've been cool and helpful to the plot at least. Like "whoa where did this giant star destroyer fleet come from?" "Oh probably from the devastators chewing up planets everywhere."

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Robot Style posted:

Thematically I think this works great with the early ideas to have Palpatine in the Jedi Temple on Coruscant and the climactic battle being Finn rallying the Coruscant citizens to rise up. Plus Palpatine building his new empire by literally eating up the remnants of the old works great (as well as tying in with the Scrapper Guild concept from Fallen Order, which actually, now I wonder if that was kind of a spinoff from this ditched IX idea.)

I know the guy who wrote Dark Empire, Tom Veitch, is writing a book on the history and influence of the comic, and said that after TROS came out, he's delaying the book so he can work stuff from the movie into it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Robot Style posted:

JJ Abrams' parts of the series are basically pick and chosen from the entire Dark Empire series, 1, 2 and Empire's End. Which makes the decision to use Rian Johnson's script for 8 particularly exasperating.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Chairman Capone posted:

Thematically I think this works great with the early ideas to have Palpatine in the Jedi Temple on Coruscant and the climactic battle being Finn rallying the Coruscant citizens to rise up. Plus Palpatine building his new empire by literally eating up the remnants of the old works great (as well as tying in with the Scrapper Guild concept from Fallen Order, which actually, now I wonder if that was kind of a spinoff from this ditched IX idea.)

I know the guy who wrote Dark Empire, Tom Veitch, is writing a book on the history and influence of the comic, and said that after TROS came out, he's delaying the book so he can work stuff from the movie into it.

So the book Resistance Reborn is supposed to be a direct link between Episodes 8 and 9, and that planet from the beginning of Fallen Order features pretty heavily in it. I'm convinced (with no actual evidence) that the author, Rebecca Roanhorse, was working with an early Episode 9 draft (maybe even Trevorrow's) because the book doesn't really match up to the movie at all. Books take a long time to publish so I'm guessing it was done long before JJ changed everything.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, when Abrams got brought in to replace Trevorrow, they didn't want to move the release date again at all. Which, is honestly for the best. Imagine if TRoS had been delayed til May and then delayed indefinitely due to covid? And then a year+ late we finally get to see it and it's....that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

On the other hand if they delayed six months maybe they could have actually written a script.

The Rise of Skywalker is the best thing that ever happened to Treverrow.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Palpatine building his new empire by literally eating up the remnants of the old works great (as well as tying in with the Scrapper Guild concept from Fallen Order, which actually, now I wonder if that was kind of a spinoff from this ditched IX idea.)

Humerus posted:

So the book Resistance Reborn is supposed to be a direct link between Episodes 8 and 9, and that planet from the beginning of Fallen Order features pretty heavily in it. I'm convinced (with no actual evidence) that the author, Rebecca Roanhorse, was working with an early Episode 9 draft (maybe even Trevorrow's) because the book doesn't really match up to the movie at all. Books take a long time to publish so I'm guessing it was done long before JJ changed everything.

This may have been true. One of the early ideas that Abrams and Terrio had for Episode 9 was that the First Order would be defeated by the people that they threw away. Finn's stormtrooper rebellion was supposed to include a group of First Order washouts who had been sentenced to work on a junk planet (perhaps Bracca), and had learned about a consistent weakness in all the downed FO ships which allowed them to build a device that could shut down their fleet.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

My third Star Wars books was Scum and Villainy. Once again, not a novel. I'm three books in and none of them have been novels. Scum and Villainy is notes from three generations of Star Wars cops, from the Prequel era, the original trilogy era, and the sequel era.

I'm not sure if it's intentionally ACAB, but it does come across a bit like that. The prequel era guy just flat out says what races they racially profile(Hutts, Pykes, anyone with tattoos) and the OT era cop basically presents the problem with the Empire from a law perspective is that they relied on bounty hunters too much.

The prequel era was by far the most entertaining, I would definitely read a sci-fi noir novel set on the streets of Corscant in that era. The OT era was basically just "hey kids remember all the Bounty Hunters from Star Wars 2". The sequel era part was kinda neat. It explained that as an overreaction to the Empire, the New Republic devolved a ton of power and authority to individual star systems and planets. Which resulted in making the galaxy basically ungovernable. That's a good take, and I think opens up room for more interesting stories in that time period.

Scum and Villainy was alright. Mainly an art book with a few bits of good world building. Check it out or don't. Whatever, I don't care.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I feel like this isn't a problem solely in the Disney era but reading Light of the Jedi (I'm like 1/4 through) drives home that nobody can seem to agree whether the Jedi are A) widely well known and extremely celebrated or B) a small fringe sect that people whisper about and only know through rumors and half remembered stories. Something else that's bothering me is that all this High Republic stuff is meant to be 200 years before Episode I but it's written like this is some distant past completely foreign to what we know, and yeah 200 years isn't nothing but in the grand scheme of Star Wars it isn't much either. Like they talk about Bacta being some new thing. I completely understand why they aren't going as far back The Old Republic but it also feels like they're trying to treat it like they are? I've been more excited for Claudia Gray's book anyway but I also have to echo this isn't a fantastic start. Maybe the rest of the book will change my mind.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Humerus posted:

Something else that's bothering me is that all this High Republic stuff is meant to be 200 years before Episode I but it's written like this is some distant past completely foreign to what we know, and yeah 200 years isn't nothing but in the grand scheme of Star Wars it isn't much either. Like they talk about Bacta being some new thing. I completely understand why they aren't going as far back The Old Republic but it also feels like they're trying to treat it like they are?

I'm about 75% of the way finished with it and I feel pretty much the exact same way. Star Wars authors (at least, newer ones?) tend to have a weird perception of time and what things qualify as "ancient". Pretty sure I read something recently (maybe on Wookieepedia?) that described something about the High Republic timeline as being "ancient" when... no? Like, you wouldn't call something from the 1820's "ancient" in our world -- in Star Wars it's multiplied given how static the entire universe is over most of its 25,000 year history. 200-odd years before OT shouldn't feel ancient, it should feel like, idk, the mid 20th century feels to us.

Like, I legit had to look up whether or not they were retconning the Old Republic timeline stuff from ca. 3000 BBY out of canon (no, they aren't, it turns out) because it seems like they're sort of trying to sell this period as its replacement. Shoulda set these books immediately after the Ruusan Reformations imo. Way far enough away from the prequel trilogy to make poo poo feel really and truly old, it fits well into Palpatines "this Republic which has stood for 1000 years" line, and gives more than enough time to intimate that the corruption of the Republic is an arc that spanned nearly a millennium and not... you know, within the space of like 2 generations from its zenith.

I have a lot of other problems with Light of the Jedi beyond the setting. Overall I'm having an okay enough time reading it I guess but it just feels like a poorly-written, poorly-conceived waste of potential that was designed by committee. Much like Star Wars has been for the last while heyoooooo

Edit: oh and the Nihil are just loving awful as villains.

Drone fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 17, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Drone posted:

I'm about 75% of the way finished with it and I feel pretty much the exact same way. Star Wars authors (at least, newer ones?) tend to have a weird perception of time and what things qualify as "ancient". Pretty sure I read something recently (maybe on Wookieepedia?) that described something about the High Republic timeline as being "ancient" when... no? Like, you wouldn't call something from the 1820's "ancient" in our world -- in Star Wars it's multiplied given how static the entire universe is over most of its 25,000 year history. 200-odd years before OT shouldn't feel ancient, it should feel like, idk, the mid 20th century feels to us.

Like, I legit had to look up whether or not they were retconning the Old Republic timeline stuff from ca. 3000 BBY out of canon (no, they aren't, it turns out) because it seems like they're sort of trying to sell this period as its replacement. Shoulda set these books immediately after the Ruusan Reformations imo. Way far enough away from the prequel trilogy to make poo poo feel really and truly old, it fits well into Palpatines "this Republic which has stood for 1000 years" line, and gives more than enough time to intimate that the corruption of the Republic is an arc that spanned nearly a millennium and not... you know, within the space of like 2 generations from its zenith.

I have a lot of other problems with Light of the Jedi beyond the setting. Overall I'm having an okay enough time reading it I guess but it just feels like a poorly-written, poorly-conceived waste of potential that was designed by committee. Much like Star Wars has been for the last while heyoooooo

Edit: oh and the Nihil are just loving awful as villains.

i assume they are keeping the poo poo that far back in the past vague since they are still milking Old republic/kotor money and while its not "canon" its still sorta treated like it. so when lucasfilm game remakes the game and makes it canon, than they have the "space".

so what else is wrong with it? is it just not different enough or is it too different?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking of Old Republic, the Old Republic game and Squadrons just recently had cross-promotional tie ins to each other.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so what else is wrong with it? is it just not different enough or is it too different?

Alright, I finished Light of the Jedi last night. Here are some thoughts, I'll try to keep actual spoilers marked. But either way, don't read if you don't want to know absolutely anything about the High Republic stuff so far. Note: I haven't read any of the High Republic comics or YA stuff released so far, and likely won't, so this book is happening for me (and I assume for most readers) in a vacuum.

The Bad
  • It hits you with it right from the very beginning: it's just not well-written. Maybe it's more the fault of the editing, I dunno, I don't know what the author was going through during the process. But from the reader's perspective, it hits you right from the very beginning (which also, consequently, is very weak in general). I mentioned before that the writing, particularly in the first few chapters, reminded me of David Weber orders a pizza: tons of empty, filler prose that tells rather than shows. Absolute tons of needless backstory exposition for characters that die in the same chapter they're introduced.
  • This is a very minor thing but it ties back into the thing being poorly-written: there are several moments where a character uses vernacular that just take you straight out of the story. A fair few modern (American) English words or turns-of-phrase that feel out of place in Star Wars. Like I said, very minor nitpick that doesn't go nearly as far as the Beatles reference someone mentioned awhile back, but it feels weird when a Star Wars character calls something "cool". Star Wars has a rich history of made-up and funny/bullshit slang words that you sort of expect -- they're totally absent here, replaced with modern real-world slang. It's just strange.
  • It seems like the author saw a sort of GRRM-style "cast of thousands" approach and decided it would be cool to play with, but the impact of exploring the story from multiple perspectives is strongly dampened by almost all of those perspectives being basically the same. And also by the fact that a good half of those perspectives don't survive the first third/half of the story. Nearly all of the main characters are Jedi -- there's only so much diversity of perspective that that will be able to give you. Sure, not all Jedi are the same, but they are all exploring the story from a very specific mindset. This kind of storytelling really only works if you have a strong diversity of viewpoints, and unfortunately that generally falls on its face.
  • I've read it elsewhere and it feels 100% true: they feel like they're just looking to see which one of these characters generates the most ~*social buzz*~ so that they know who to make a TV show about. It's very overt.
  • I mentioned it before, but the antagonist faction is just the loving worst. They are, with one exception that I can think of, actively unfun to read (especially given that three of them are viewpoint characters). Edgelord "rape and pillage characters just for the sake of raping and pillaging" bullshit that is absolutely not compelling. At least the Sith, played-out as they may be, are at least compelling because they are impelled by a concrete ideology and an ethos -- the Nihil are not, and that is apparently by design (iirc the writing team has explicitly said that they want the Nihil to be without any ideology, just lovely Firefly-style reavers). To be fair, this is also something that the final scene in the book with the main antagonist character seems to call into question, as something that may or may not be a Sith artifact or something is revealed, along with an ambiguous line about how the main antagonist character may not actually be who he is purported to be.
  • The device that they use to make the Nihil a threat to the Republic/Jedi is pretty drat dumb, but that's mostly a personal taste thing... I've seen people who think their whole take on hyperdrive is interesting. This is the most irrational gut feeling bad bit for me -- it just doesn't sit with me well, though other previous canon-breaking stuff like this in the old EU didn't really put me off as much. But it's also something I can get over.
  • This is mostly a general comment that doesn't apply to any one specific scene, rather to many: the novel has taken the already-simmering level of anime behind the Jedi and their power and turned it up to 11 over 9000. The sheer amount of "bullshit that I am able to do because I'm a space wizard" in this story is extreme. Jedi who falls out of a ship in low orbit and lands safely on a planet's surface after falling for kilometers, Jedi changing the trajectory of an object moving at near-lightspeed, Jedi creating a rainstorm by just thinking about it real hard, on and on and on. I get that this is the period when the Jedi are supposed to be at the apex of their power, but it goes way too far into Dragon Ball Z territory and just becomes ridiculous and removes any dramatic tension (which, together with not really caring about most of these one-dimensional characters, makes the entire thing boring).

The Good
  • While most of the characters or boring, there are a few that pop out as being more interesting and worthy of further exploration. Bell, Avar, and Elzar pop out immediately as the most interesting of the Jedi characters that are worthy of delving more into, and I assume that will be happening. Loden is fairly okay, and will definitely be appearing in upcoming material. There aren't really any non-Jedi characters that are interesting enough for me to want to see more of... maybe the dude who networked 50,000 droids together to solve a math problem, but I've forgotten his name (not a good sign!).
  • I mentioned the antagonist faction being bad and a chore to read -- there is one character that actually, eventually, became somewhat interesting Kassav, who becomes interesting right at the beginning of the book's final battle sequence, and then is promptly killed like ten pages later.
  • Though the writing starts out just straight-up bad, it does get slightly better as the book goes on. It never becomes great, but it definitely approaches a much more "average Star Wars book" standard about two-thirds of the way through.
  • The book is a very fast read. I only read for about a half hour before bed most nights, and got through it quite quickly in little chunks like that.
  • There are plenty of minor ideas that are actually cool and good, and some of them get at least a little touch of exploration, but they get buried in the other ideas that are just bad. Someone else mentioned that the explanation of how each Jedi perceives the Force differently was legit cool and I hope sticks around.
  • Despite its many flaws, I still kinda liked it? Can't really explain why, it was just empty calorie junk food, and sometimes that kind of thing is nice to have. It somehow remains enjoyable enough in the face of all of its issues. I wouldn't recommend the book to anyone, but I also wouldn't say "this thing is a trashfire that I hated reading" either. It was exactly as we all anticipated it would be: a bland, corporate, paint-by-numbers exploration of a new setting so that Disney can see if it's going to be a money-printer or not.

Drone fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jan 18, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Drone posted:

Alright, I finished Light of the Jedi last night. Here are some thoughts, I'll try to keep actual spoilers marked. But either way, don't read if you don't want to know absolutely anything about the High Republic stuff so far. Note: I haven't read any of the High Republic comics or YA stuff released so far, and likely won't, so this book is happening for me (and I assume for most readers) in a vacuum.

The Bad
  • It hits you with it right from the very beginning: it's just not well-written. Maybe it's more the fault of the editing, I dunno, I don't know what the author was going through during the process. But from the reader's perspective, it hits you right from the very beginning (which also, consequently, is very weak in general). I mentioned before that the writing, particularly in the first few chapters, reminded me of David Weber orders a pizza: tons of empty, filler prose that tells rather than shows. Absolute tons of needless backstory exposition for characters that die in the same chapter they're introduced.
  • This is a very minor thing but it ties back into the thing being poorly-written: there are several moments where a character uses vernacular that just take you straight out of the story. A fair few modern (American) English words or turns-of-phrase that feel out of place in Star Wars. Like I said, very minor nitpick that doesn't go nearly as far as the Beatles reference someone mentioned awhile back, but it feels weird when a Star Wars character calls something "cool". Star Wars has a rich history of made-up and funny/bullshit slang words that you sort of expect -- they're totally absent here, replaced with modern real-world slang. It's just strange.
  • It seems like the author saw a sort of GRRM-style "cast of thousands" approach and decided it would be cool to play with, but the impact of exploring the story from multiple perspectives is strongly dampened by almost all of those perspectives being basically the same. And also by the fact that a good half of those perspectives don't survive the first third/half of the story. Nearly all of the main characters are Jedi -- there's only so much diversity of perspective that that will be able to give you. Sure, not all Jedi are the same, but they are all exploring the story from a very specific mindset. This kind of storytelling really only works if you have a strong diversity of viewpoints, and unfortunately that generally falls on its face.
  • I've read it elsewhere and it feels 100% true: they feel like they're just looking to see which one of these characters generates the most ~*social buzz*~ so that they know who to make a TV show about. It's very overt.
  • I mentioned it before, but the antagonist faction is just the loving worst. They are, with one exception that I can think of, actively unfun to read (especially given that three of them are viewpoint characters). Edgelord "rape and pillage characters just for the sake of raping and pillaging" bullshit that is absolutely not compelling. At least the Sith, played-out as they may be, are at least compelling because they are impelled by a concrete ideology and an ethos -- the Nihil are not, and that is apparently by design (iirc the writing team has explicitly said that they want the Nihil to be without any ideology, just lovely Firefly-style reavers). To be fair, this is also something that the final scene in the book with the main antagonist character seems to call into question, as something that may or may not be a Sith artifact or something is revealed, along with an ambiguous line about how the main antagonist character may not actually be who he is purported to be.
  • The device that they use to make the Nihil a threat to the Republic/Jedi is pretty drat dumb, but that's mostly a personal taste thing... I've seen people who think their whole take on hyperdrive is interesting. This is the most irrational gut feeling bad bit for me -- it just doesn't sit with me well, though other previous canon-breaking stuff like this in the old EU didn't really put me off as much. But it's also something I can get over.
  • This is mostly a general comment that doesn't apply to any one specific scene, rather to many: the novel has taken the already-simmering level of anime behind the Jedi and their power and turned it up to 11 over 9000. The sheer amount of "bullshit that I am able to do because I'm a space wizard" in this story is extreme. Jedi who falls out of a ship in low orbit and lands safely on a planet's surface after falling for kilometers, Jedi changing the trajectory of an object moving at near-lightspeed, Jedi creating a rainstorm by just thinking about it real hard, on and on and on. I get that this is the period when the Jedi are supposed to be at the apex of their power, but it goes way too far into Dragon Ball Z territory and just becomes ridiculous and removes any dramatic tension (which, together with not really caring about most of these one-dimensional characters, makes the entire thing boring).

The Good
  • While most of the characters or boring, there are a few that pop out as being more interesting and worthy of further exploration. Bell, Avar, and Elzar pop out immediately as the most interesting of the Jedi characters that are worthy of delving more into, and I assume that will be happening. Loden is fairly okay, and will definitely be appearing in upcoming material. There aren't really any non-Jedi characters that are interesting enough for me to want to see more of... maybe the dude who networked 50,000 droids together to solve a math problem, but I've forgotten his name (not a good sign!).
  • I mentioned the antagonist faction being bad and a chore to read -- there is one character that actually, eventually, became somewhat interesting Kassav, who becomes interesting right at the beginning of the book's final battle sequence, and then is promptly killed like ten pages later.
  • Though the writing starts out just straight-up bad, it does get slightly better as the book goes on. It never becomes great, but it definitely approaches a much more "average Star Wars book" standard about two-thirds of the way through.
  • The book is a very fast read. I only read for about a half hour before bed most nights, and got through it quite quickly in little chunks like that.
  • There are plenty of minor ideas that are actually cool and good, and some of them get at least a little touch of exploration, but they get buried in the other ideas that are just bad. Someone else mentioned that the explanation of how each Jedi perceives the Force differently was legit cool and I hope sticks around.
  • Despite its many flaws, I still kinda liked it? Can't really explain why, it was just empty calorie junk food, and sometimes that kind of thing is nice to have. It somehow remains enjoyable enough in the face of all of its issues. I wouldn't recommend the book to anyone, but I also wouldn't say "this thing is a trashfire that I hated reading" either. It was exactly as we all anticipated it would be: a bland, corporate, paint-by-numbers exploration of a new setting so that Disney can see if it's going to be a money-printer or not.

sucks. so Nihil are just space raiders but their leader might have another agenda or some poo poo. lol

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sucks. so Nihil are just space raiders but their leader might have another agenda or some poo poo. lol

Yep, basically.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
A hyper radicalized group of malcontents who are being manipulated by their leader for his own selfish ends? Didn't realize they were literally just Republicans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

jivjov posted:

A hyper radicalized group of malcontents who are being manipulated by their leader for his own selfish ends? Didn't realize they were literally just Republicans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyI4SwvpZWA