Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

ColdPie posted:

Nicely done, looks great, and those dovetails give it some great detail. How did you cut those stopped grooves in the left and right sides?

Thanks! I assume you mean these?

I never intended for them to be stopped, so they were initially done all the way through with a grooving plane. But I screwed up laying out the half-blind dovetails which would have meant the groove would have been visible on the outside pins of the joint. After realising this, I cheated by gluing in some scraps into the grooves where the pins are. It would have been really weak in that area too so it should hopefully reinforce it a bit. Of course, after doing this I had made it impossible to slide the bottom in when I had 3 of the 4 sides together! So I had to angle the whole thing a bit during the glue up, which was difficult trying to hold all the captured dividers in at the same time. Being the same wood and end-grain its pretty hard to tell anything is there. I took this photo in bright sunlight to show it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I actually meant the ones going the other direction on those same pieces! But that was interesting, too.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

This is pretty neat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuFeYW-KWC0
Some good distressing techniques I'm gonna try to remember

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
On the one hand, it seems nuts to me to go to the effort of making a brand-new floor with precision-fit joinery, and then immediately blast the hell out of it with sand and wires.

On the other hand, I bet the pre-distressed floor ages way more gracefully than if you'd applied finish to the "clean" wood and installed it as-is. In that case every scratch and mark would show way more strongly, I bet.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
My brand new Makita plunge saw arrived yesterday, and I had a chance to briefly play with it this morning. I really should have bought one years ago, it's a joy to use compared with messing about with a circular saw.

The afternoon was spent making seed trays out of pallet timber. Not my preferred way to pass an afternoon, but my dad's been watching too many upcycling videos, and insisted I make some for him.

Also, here's a terrible phone picture of a bowl I made from a walnut kitchen worktop offcut from work.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
What's everyone's favorite way of doing lids for boxes? I'm making a tool box for my new Dowelmax (which I 3d printed trays for). I've got the sides fitted but not yet glued. (it's in the clamps overnight to hopefully pull some twist out of one of the long sides)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Today I got some work in on some big chungus charcuterie boards for my friend. In flattening them out from the rough ash slabs I was surprised to find that it was much easier and more effective to jackplane across the grain than along it. The plane went smoother, removed wood more effectively, and with far less tearout, even if it left a rougher surface behind. I'm talking pieces up to 24 square ish, with a no.5.

Do you more experienced people have any comments on this? I felt like I was flouting conventional wisdom or making some mistakes that I couldn't see. But it worked.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Isn't that how everyone says that it should be done? Diagonal across the grain, then sand?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'm looking to pick up some measurement tools like a digital inclinometer, a decent combination square, etc, but there's an endless sea of options, and I'm wondering if it's one of those "they're all actually manufactured by the same 2 companies" situations.

Any that should be avoided? Or does it not matter at this point, they've all figured out how to make square squares, so the cheapest one's probably just fine?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Today I got some work in on some big chungus charcuterie boards for my friend. In flattening them out from the rough ash slabs I was surprised to find that it was much easier and more effective to jackplane across the grain than along it. The plane went smoother, removed wood more effectively, and with far less tearout, even if it left a rougher surface behind. I'm talking pieces up to 24 square ish, with a no.5.

Do you more experienced people have any comments on this? I felt like I was flouting conventional wisdom or making some mistakes that I couldn't see. But it worked.

This is how you would typically use a scrub plane. A plane with a square iron will still do the job, it just won't take as much off in each pass, and might require a bit more force. Just have to be careful to not split out the far end, which you'd normally put a 45º bevel in, which would stretch down to the final desired thickness of the board. Or just take care to not extend past the far edge of the board.

Like Blistex said, for flattening a large slab I'd normally go 45º, 90º (with the grain) and 120º from from where you are standing, assuming the grain is running left-to-right, just to get it from all angles.

Certainly nothing wrong with what you are doing. If the grain is particularly difficult you could also try angling the plane as you move it across the work.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

epalm posted:

I'm looking to pick up some measurement tools like a digital inclinometer, a decent combination square, etc, but there's an endless sea of options, and I'm wondering if it's one of those "they're all actually manufactured by the same 2 companies" situations.

Any that should be avoided? Or does it not matter at this point, they've all figured out how to make square squares, so the cheapest one's probably just fine?

This is the one I have and seems to be the standard:

https://www.amazon.com/Wixey-WR300-...&tag=mozilla-20

Been using for 4 years now and has served me well, haven't even replaced the battery.

As far as combo squares, I got a cheap one I'm pretty fed up with, so I wouldn't mind a recommendation on a quality one myself.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I'm going to get a medic alert bracelet made up with the instructions "if you find the wearer in the midst of a panic attack, just play him a JSK-Koubou video or two on YouTube".

His diy projects generate more serenity than sawdust.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

epalm posted:

For combination squares, you can get PEC blemishes from https://www.harryepstein.com/. They're no Starrett, but they are cheap and square.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Granite Octopus posted:

This is how you would typically use a scrub plane. A plane with a square iron will still do the job, it just won't take as much off in each pass, and might require a bit more force. Just have to be careful to not split out the far end, which you'd normally put a 45º bevel in, which would stretch down to the final desired thickness of the board. Or just take care to not extend past the far edge of the board.

Like Blistex said, for flattening a large slab I'd normally go 45º, 90º (with the grain) and 120º from from where you are standing, assuming the grain is running left-to-right, just to get it from all angles.

Certainly nothing wrong with what you are doing. If the grain is particularly difficult you could also try angling the plane as you move it across the work.

Well in all of the planing videos I watched I never caught that detail other than angling the plane. :doh:

I got especially nervous with this stuff because of the tearout risk I was getting. I'm going for perfect surfaces, so an 1/8 inch tearout could represent an hour of work undone. Once I got them flattened I went to the sander

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I stumbled across a craigslist ad for a combo sander and a 3h 220v dust collector (the 2 can variety).

http://www.kufogroup.com/Pictures/Manuals/DUST%20COLLECTOR%20UFO-102B.pdf
Collector. This, but an older version of this model, grizzly green and very used.

My question revolves around the dust collector, primarily how to modify it into a more compact format and 2-stage the sumbitch.

Since it's 3hp, would it push more airflow than my current can could hold? It's a 30gal garbage can with this cyclone lid.
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/...HRoCXDsQAvD_BwE

I've eyeballed some of the DIY setups on youtube, but those seem to use 1 or 2 hp units and seem to be made pretty tall. I've got low (think 7ft) ceilings in my basement shop and gently caress-all space (hence trying to get rid of the dual can footprint). They also output into a single bag, so I'm concerned about bypassing the cyclone or blowing the stupid lid off. I'm not against upgrading to a proper Oneida cyclone and strapping the lid down, but would prefer some feedback first.

I know this mayyyy be a fool's errand and I simply took too big a bite, but appreciate some input.

In the worst-case scenario, this will power my future dust collection system, once I can move into a proper shop.

Whaddya think?

I tore the DC apart. I'm beginning the process of trying to figure out where to put this stupid thing in the (small) shop. My goal is to be able to reach the table saw (which needs to remain mobile on casters), the jointer, the planer (currently cart-mounted), and provide some off-shoots for smaller tools, as well as a catch for my lathe.

Anyone have experience with these Wynn filters? I'd love to slap a couple on to improve air quality, and I have a surplus of HP so the CFM shouldn't falter at all.

Has anyone made their own 2-stage DC system with a 3hp motor? Most 2-stagers I've seen (or have watched built on youtube) have been 1-2hp units and I want some feedback as to whether I'm setting myself up for an uncomfortable realization.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Granite Octopus posted:

Finished up this sewing caddy today. Some scrap wood (hence the filled nail holes), all hand tools. It’s been a while since I’ve used rasps and files for shaping so that was fun. my last bandsaw blade broke on the first cut so I used a chisel for most of the curves else except the inner of the handle which was done with a crappy coping saw.

Glue up was a huge pain because of how I captured the bottom panel, and how all the dividers interlock. I wouldn’t do it that way again but the result looks good with all the joinery hidden.

The stuff that needs to fit in it:

Getting the basic size and joinery

After some testing we found the compartments too small so I modified them to be a bit taller to handle longer objects, and made the shorter ones sorter so fingers can get in more easily.

The annoying glue-up

This is very nice, I think I might made one of these!

Posting on the Lucky Page

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Discomancer posted:

For combination squares, you can get PEC blemishes from https://www.harryepstein.com/. They're no Starrett, but they are cheap and square.

PEC blemished tools are wonderful. Everybody should treat themselves to a 4 or 6" 4R double square. I've gotten all my PEC stuff from Taylor Toolworks through eBay. It all comes up from a search for 'pec blem.'

e: also a little machinists 6" scale in 4R is a wonderful tool to have for woodworking.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
I drop combination squares too often to ever spend the money on a nice one. I just check it against my machinist squares after each drop :downs:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JEEVES420 posted:

I drop combination squares too often to ever spend the money on a nice one. I just check it against my machinist squares after each drop :downs:

what if you drop the machinist square :ohdear:

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

JEEVES420 posted:

This made me laugh, thanks for that.

Router chat: I have a DW 616 router (two of them, actually). It take both 1/4" and 1/2" bits just by changing the collet. The other day I went to use a 1/2" cove bit for the first time, and the bit was too large to fit inside the plastic base. I've since decided that 1/2" is too large a cove for me and I'm going to use 3/8" anyway, but how would you all have handled this? Create a new base for the router?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Rutibex posted:

what if you drop the machinist square :ohdear:

Its a set of 4, surely they can't all be wrong :v:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Router chat: I have a DW 616 router (two of them, actually). It take both 1/4" and 1/2" bits just by changing the collet. The other day I went to use a 1/2" cove bit for the first time, and the bit was too large to fit inside the plastic base. I've since decided that 1/2" is too large a cove for me and I'm going to use 3/8" anyway, but how would you all have handled this? Create a new base for the router?
Yeah make a new base, or just take the baseplate off. However, when you start getting into bits that are too big to fit through the opening, that usually means you should only use them in a router table where there is no chance of a big ole bit pulling the router away from you.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

You can make one with 1/4" plexiglass or leave the base loose and plunge the bit (running) through it. Slowly. Probably not the most optimal, but I've done it when I was strapped for time.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Discomancer posted:

"Christmas Machete Set"

Yes, please.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

quote:

The two thigns we can promise you is that the packages will contain 5 machetes and that they'll be made in Colombia.
what else do you really need to know

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'm wondering, since upgrading to a shelix / helix cutter head is so popular now, what happens to all the old cutter heads? Isn't someone selling? Second hand market looking kinda dry.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'm wondering, since upgrading to a shelix / helix cutter head is so popular now, what happens to all the old cutter heads? Isn't someone selling? Second hand market looking kinda dry.

They gather dust on shelves, I think. I was able to find a full cutterhead + pillow blocks to replace a broken part in my jointer on ebay for very little.

What size/machine cutterhead are you seeking? My easy find was a 6 inch jointer head.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Looking for a friend actually, 24 inches or 610mm

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

His Divine Shadow posted:

Looking for a friend actually, 24 inches or 610mm
Considering the cost of a 24" replacement helix head is a pretty reasonable percentage of the price of a new 24" planer, I don't think it happens as much at that scale. If a 30yr old 24" planer is worth $5-8k, are you gonna drop $3k on a helix head for it? Plus if you're a big shop with a 24" planer, you probably are running everything through a wide belt sander too and aren't quite as worried about surface finish as a guy who has to sand everything with small power tools. I'd bet some shops keep the old head around as a backup too.

All that being said, I'd call around at used machinery dealers-they're gonna be the ones who might have something or know who has it.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Opted to route dados top and bottom and fit plywood panels. I'll saw the top off once the glue is dry.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Well in all of the planing videos I watched I never caught that detail other than angling the plane. :doh:

I got especially nervous with this stuff because of the tearout risk I was getting. I'm going for perfect surfaces, so an 1/8 inch tearout could represent an hour of work undone. Once I got them flattened I went to the sander

Do you have any scrapers? They work great for fixing tear-out in tricky grain that planes struggle with.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm at the point building these bookshelves where it feels like i'm back at work again. Hours and hours building the same thing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Granite Octopus posted:

Do you have any scrapers? They work great for fixing tear-out in tricky grain that planes struggle with.

No I should get some next time I snag some tools. But I really doubt that a scraper could solve this tearout though - we're taking really big gouges and rips that have me thinking about gluing it back together. I'm willing to patiently sand for long periods and the tears that I get in this ash when the plane hits it the wrong way give me the heebie jeebies.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

NomNomNom posted:

Opted to route dados top and bottom and fit plywood panels. I'll saw the top off once the glue is dry.

I was going to reply to your previous post but my adhd rear end forgot. This is exactly my usual method for shop stuff (and for fancy stuff that will look good with the inset top).

If you're sawing off the top with a table saw and haven't ever done it before, take a dry run or two and think carefully about where you put your hands and where you push vs the force the blade is exerting. Also it's sometimes worth making the first 3 cuts and taping in blade-kerf-width shims so it doesn't do anything weird and blade-pinchy when you make the 4th cut.

e: really love the 3d printed dowelmax organizing too btw. I've been meaning to do something like that for mine for a long time.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 18, 2021

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Blistex posted:

Isn't that how everyone says that it should be done? Diagonal across the grain, then sand?

this should really be in the op

This is the flattening process. Smoothing and dealing with tearout usually just means mucking around with skewing the plane and or changing the angle of attack with a back bevel or microbevel if your smoother is bevel up.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Thanks for the advice the other day, desktop came out great. It warped slightly after gluing, but screwing it to the metal frame took that out.

A bit of cable management to do still, but already trying to get used to standing.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Last two Cha-Coot-Er-Eee boards I made, I used a Stanley #5, diagonal cut with finer and finer adjustments, skipped the card scraper entirely, then 30 seconds with the random orbital and some 220. They were Elm and walnut.

I also used the same method for some end grain walnut and maple cutting boards that had a sacrificial frame around them to prevent tearing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Gounads posted:

Thanks for the advice the other day, desktop came out great. It warped slightly after gluing, but screwing it to the metal frame took that out.

A bit of cable management to do still, but already trying to get used to standing.

That looks good! I feel like you're probably going to want to have those displays be higher up though. Ideally you want your eyes to be level with the upper third or so of the display, and your elbows to be at a 90 degree angle when typing / using the mouse.

You should also consider getting an anti-fatigue mat for the floor. I know when I stand for long periods of time on hard floors, my feet start to hurt.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ripping stock by hand is not fun my goodness. I had a 22" rip cut to do in some 2" maple and it took forever to get a shoddy board that needed another forever of planing to get the cut face cleaned up. I wonder if I can fit a tiny band saw in my shed because I don't wanna do that again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Hypnolobster posted:

I was going to reply to your previous post but my adhd rear end forgot. This is exactly my usual method for shop stuff (and for fancy stuff that will look good with the inset top).

If you're sawing off the top with a table saw and haven't ever done it before, take a dry run or two and think carefully about where you put your hands and where you push vs the force the blade is exerting. Also it's sometimes worth making the first 3 cuts and taping in blade-kerf-width shims so it doesn't do anything weird and blade-pinchy when you make the 4th cut.

e: really love the 3d printed dowelmax organizing too btw. I've been meaning to do something like that for mine for a long time.

I ended up cutting the top off on the bandsaw since I didn't want to lose a full kerf from the table saw. It went poorly. After cleaning up the edges I'll have probably lost 0.25".

I'll make the 3d print files available on thingiverse soon if you want them.