Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Jerry comes up way to often in this thread. Aeronautical Insanity is such a big topic, it's sad that this one obscure rear end in a top hat causes boring derails every week.

Here's something I drew for the thread a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Too bad you couldn't double the...oooohhh :hmmyes:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

eggyolk posted:

I love it!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

eggyolk posted:

Jerry comes up way to often in this thread. Aeronautical Insanity is such a big topic, it's sad that this one obscure rear end in a top hat causes boring derails every week.

Thunderbolt and Lightning, very very frightening ... to me.... to meeeee

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

A-10 Thunderbolt IV?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Nebakenezzer posted:

A-20 Thunderbolt IV?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
How in the hell this guy got this Il-76 stopped in time landing that long on an ice runway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSvuyHnIzLc

(sound warning, obviously)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Thrust reversers engaged as the nose wheel touched. He wanted to save every foot of runway.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

For some reason I was reading old accident reports on the ASN Wikibase recently, and it seems like a frequent cause is the same sort of cavalier bullshit that Jerry seems to live by. Pilot thinks he's hot poo poo, tries to take off into giant thunderstorm/fly into known icing/does his own maintenance illegally/etc.

Except these usually ended in death and/or destroyed aircraft. I would guess he's just on a lucky streak in that regard.

Real talk: there are very few incidents/accidents that occur purely due to bad luck. There's almost always one or more bad decisions leading up to an accident, and part of improving aviation safety both on a personal and industry-wide basis is identifying what those bad decisions are, and why they are made in the first place.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

PT6A posted:

Real talk: there are very few incidents/accidents that occur purely due to bad luck. There's almost always one or more bad decisions leading up to an accident, and part of improving aviation safety both on a personal and industry-wide basis is identifying what those bad decisions are, and why they are made in the first place.

So that whole risk-pyramid thing. Makes sense.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

eggyolk posted:

Why wouldn't you do it up full Twin Mustang style? Two fuselages and cockpits mean you have real gun mounts.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
The buck always stops with the pilot, but it's also easy to blame the deceased when they can't argue their case. The NTSB accident database is useful, but they often don't put a ton of effort into general aviation accidents.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

wzm posted:

The buck always stops with the pilot

No, no it does not.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

No, no it does not.

I was at an airport with a glider operation, and a tow plane pulling a glider was hit by a Cirrus that came out of the sun at a 90 degree angle to the Pawnee that was hit. The NTSB blamed both pilots for the incident for failure to see and avoid. I'm unclear on how the tow pilot could have seen or avoided the accident, yet they got blamed alongside the Cirrus pilot. Legally, there's nearly always a way for the FAA/NTSB to pin things on the pilot.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Canada just approved the Max to fly again. First revenue flights starting this Thursday with Westjet. Air Canada tentatively looking at Feb 1.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/boeing-737-max-fly-again-1.5877356

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I can't help but re-read this headline as "Man Afraid of Snakes Lives in Viper's Den to Avoid Being Bitten": https://onemileatatime.com/man-lives-chicago-ohare-airport/

“So if I understand you correctly, you’re telling me that an unauthorised, non-employee individual was allegedly living within a secure part of the O’Hare airport terminal from 19 October 2020 to 16 January 2021, and was not detected? I want to understand you correctly.”

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 18, 2021

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

ASN posted:

The pilot told people at the departure Airport prior to takeoff that he was going to follow I-40 to his destination. The weather at the accident site was 500 foot overcast, 5 miles visibility and mist. Several motorists observed the airplane flying at an altitude of about 100 feet west bound along I-40 prior to colliding with power lines. There were no mechanical problems reported by the pilot or discovered during the post-accident examination of the airplane.
Probable Cause: The pilot's inadequate preflight planning and inadequate evaluation of the weather, inadequate visual lookout, and his failure to maintain clearance, resulted in the in-flight collision with power lines.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/44307

It's things like this that are also why I often look at the warbird guys with a very, very jaundiced eye. (That and the extremely gauzy picture of history they tend to present)

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

(That and the extremely gauzy picture of history they tend to present)

That it was called the "Confederate Air Force" until ~2000 says an awful lot.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Speaking of GA accidents, Air Safety Institute has a new Accident Case Study. If you haven't watched them all, I strongly recommend them. They're grim, but very well produced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rryvSQhK7k

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Speaking of GA accidents, Air Safety Institute has a new Accident Case Study. If you haven't watched them all, I strongly recommend them. They're grim, but very well produced.

Looks like they are using FS2020 to make the recreations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

wzm posted:

That it was called the "Confederate Air Force" until ~2000 says an awful lot.

Considering they changed the name voluntarily with next to zero internal controversy when someone brought it up more than twenty years ago, this is a case of them batting way above national average.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Why wouldn't you do it up full Twin Mustang style? Two fuselages and cockpits mean you have real gun mounts.

Single fuselage seemed to match the P-38 Lightning inspiration better, though if I did one like the Twin Mustang it'd definitely look like you described.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I can't help but re-read this headline as "Man Afraid of Snakes Lives in Viper's Den to Avoid Being Bitten": https://onemileatatime.com/man-lives-chicago-ohare-airport/

“So if I understand you correctly, you’re telling me that an unauthorised, non-employee individual was allegedly living within a secure part of the O’Hare airport terminal from 19 October 2020 to 16 January 2021, and was not detected? I want to understand you correctly.”

"No, your Honor, he was not in a secure part of the facility, its insecurity evidenced by his being there"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Was the guy just hanging out in departure lounges or is he alleged to have entered employee-only areas?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Platystemon posted:

Was the guy just hanging out in departure lounges or is he alleged to have entered employee-only areas?

The latter, with an employee badge he found on the floor (so I am told)

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

simplefish posted:

The latter, with an employee badge he found on the floor (so I am told)

That explanation seems odd to me, since the airports I'm familiar with deactivate badges that are reported as lost/stolen, but it's very possible that the airport somehow didn't do that, or the guy just piggybacked through doors or there were doors that didn't need a badge scan to get through.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The badge was reported as stolen and that’s why he got caught.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The badge was reported stolen two and a half months before he got busted.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Since it was logged as lost/stolen for 2+ months, I'm curious how he was getting access to restricted areas, since that would indicate that either O’Hare didn't deactivate the badge, or they did, and he just found unlocked doors that were "employees only" but not part of the SIDA or that well secured.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Considering they changed the name voluntarily with next to zero internal controversy when someone brought it up more than twenty years ago, this is a case of them batting way above national average.

That's good to know, I guess I always assumed the worst. That F6F accident report seems odd to me: the witness report of 100' and 100 knots at the time of accident are close enough to car speeds that I feel it is likely accurate, but 100 knots seems way too slow for someone scud running in a plane that cruised at 200 mph, and the 11,000 hours that the pilot had are an awful lot.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

azflyboy posted:

That explanation seems odd to me, since the airports I'm familiar with deactivate badges that are reported as lost/stolen, but it's very possible that the airport somehow didn't do that, or the guy just piggybacked through doors or there were doors that didn't need a badge scan to get through.

There’s plenty of places in an airport that aren’t necessarily “secure” areas that if you have a badge no one will give you a second look, especially somewhere like ORD. Unless he piggybacked someone through a badged door (which SIDA rules don’t allow) he shouldn’t have been able to get to the actual ramp.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah, given when they gave themselves the name, it seems innocent to me.

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Is this the same narrator as those OSHA videos?

Also, what's the significance of the dew point when flying?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nebakenezzer posted:

If an air mass cools to the dew point, water starts coming out of it in liquid or solid form.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

The temp/dewpoint split can be used to figure out where there may be fog or precipitation, since those may occur when the two are equal.

Having the temp and dewpoint the same doesn't guarantee fog, but if you have a situation with calm winds (especially at night) and a temperature dropping towards the dewpoint, there's a very good chance you're getting some kind of fog or clouds forming.

You can also use that split to guestimate how likely carb icing is, since a situation where it's 90 degrees and the dewpoint is 10 is way less likely to produce carb icing than a say when it's 80 and the dewpoint is 50.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 19, 2021

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

And it gives you the ability to estimate base of any clouds, although that will depend on the lapse rate.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Winds are weird today at KSFO so they’re landing 01R.

Here’s a video from last year of what that looks like.

https://twitter.com/rob_tjader/status/1226674327690436608

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Airborne opulence is one form of aeronautical insanity. But any chump is flying private jets these days. If you want to be a real baller, you don't just own a plane. You put up a permanent flight restriction so the hoi polloi can't fly over your crib and sully it with the shadows of their rickety Citations. This is what Putin has done.

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1351560583657697283

Beginning of long thread about his James Bond villain lair here:

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1351540061444202499

Ola fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 19, 2021

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

eggyolk posted:

Where did the landing gear go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
It's still there, every time you land and take off it winds up the springs for the cannons, like those pull-back toy cars.