Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Seth Rollins posted:

guinea pigs are a wise investment right now. guinea pigs will be the chicken of the 21st century.

I felt horrible for laughing at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I hope I get a job as a guinea pig to test legal weed on or massaging devices. I got a lower back massage machine for christmas from my partner and it kicks so much rear end. I have an HBK lower back injury I have sold for most of my adult human life and it's really doing me good. I wish I had an entire massage suit I could strap into like a mech and feel no pain, this suit would only massage me platonically not romantically at all, but I may fall in love with it for alleviating so much of my misery, like a silent film version of "Her".

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I have a (10 week) job now

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
Nice, congrats on your continued survival!

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

A couple of job havers here. Congrats

What's the worst job you've all had? I worked as a motel snack stand fry cook one summer and I regularly had angry, hungry tourists berate and belittle me. One time a woman spat in my face because she didn't like our brand of coffee.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
my worst job was working retail at the Lego store. my boss was a miserable racist old cat lady. i think it would have been fun if it wasn't for her. now i can't look at legos without throwing up.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

NienNunb posted:

A couple of job havers here. Congrats

What's the worst job you've all had? I worked as a motel snack stand fry cook one summer and I regularly had angry, hungry tourists berate and belittle me. One time a woman spat in my face because she didn't like our brand of coffee.

One time I was the sole employee at a produce stand/snow cone stand/ boiled peanut stand and had to operate all three and every customer was always mad as hell and there were always lines it was like the a horrible tower defense game everyday and I went insane.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Eat My Fuc posted:

I hope I get a job as a guinea pig to test legal weed on or massaging devices. I got a lower back massage machine for christmas from my partner and it kicks so much rear end. I have an HBK lower back injury I have sold for most of my adult human life and it's really doing me good. I wish I had an entire massage suit I could strap into like a mech and feel no pain, this suit would only massage me platonically not romantically at all, but I may fall in love with it for alleviating so much of my misery, like a silent film version of "Her".

Acupuncture mats also feel great on hurt back parts! Take it from me, chronic neck pain man

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Eat My Fuc posted:

a produce stand/snow cone stand/ boiled peanut stand

yo what in the gently caress

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

Acupuncture mats also feel great on hurt back parts! Take it from me, chronic neck pain man

I have been wanting to try this stuff for ages, I need to post covid but i'll look into the mats.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

yo what in the gently caress

Dude it was so terrible. I was really, really good at the boiled peanuts and they were the best in town but the rest I was really bad at so 1/3 of my customers were happy the rest would tell me how much of an idiot I was. The business didn't last long, the only benefit was it would be slow most days but when it wasn't it was hell.

Also every person who came to get a snowcone wanted seventeen different flavors and it was just a brown gross thing and then they'd complain it was gross but like dude you mixed bubblegum with 10 different fruits and pina colada.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Congrats to all the people in the thread who got jobs and became dads and are good at boiling peanuts

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

CobiWann posted:

My wife and daughter came home from an overnight trip to my sister-in-law's with two more guinea pigs. :psyduck:

this seems like good news

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

That really boils my peanuts

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

One of my first jobs out of high school was working security for the Minneapolis convention center and during the auto show I was assigned to a sideroom where they were showing off a big gently caress-off pick up truck for rich suburbanites and they had the in-vehicle theater system going but the person demoing it was absent for the entire day so it just blared a 30-second loop of swelling heroic music from the dvd menu of whatever movie was in it for 8 hours and then when I finally got off my shift my boss came and yelled at me for looking bored and annoyed.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

don't want to talk about it but let's just say—for my own protection on here—it was a form of m*rder, known as c*ntract kill*ng, and in that line of work you spend more time going back and forth saying "you prove it" until the other party breaks and gives you what you need than anything else

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
Cavauro would never break, not ever once.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Cavauro posted:

don't want to talk about it but let's just say—for my own protection on here—it was a form of m*rder, known as c*ntract kill*ng, and in that line of work you spend more time going back and forth saying "you prove it" until the other party breaks and gives you what you need than anything else

butt "the shitman" fart

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

My worst job was logging the entirety of SCAD’s student film library. Watching thousands of student films for 5 dollars an hour is a hell I wish upon no one. Or, this soul crushing call center job out of college but I walked out before it could get too bad.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
My worst job was as an elementary teacher for a charter school. It’s terrible for pretty much all the reasons you think. Charter schools are bad, boo hisss

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I moved to Baton Rouge and took over a Borders bookstore 2 weeks before the company announced bankruptcy. Worst year of my life.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I mean my real worst job would be many of the fast food places I worked as a high schooler or college student. My worst adult job was working in the marketing department for a college textbook wholesaler. So my job was to lie to college bookstores about why they should use us as their middleman from the publisher and then provide bookstores helpful tips for how to lie to their students that they should totally pay $360 for the latest edition of that textbook because one picture changed in the appendix.

The pay was barely livable for my area, the environment sucked working for good ol boys and a marketing director who clearly didnt want to be there any more than the rest of us did, and everyone in sales was just a royal rear end stain and we had to work with them all the time. The worst part was we had to help certain college bookstores do their end of term buybacks as a perk for working with us. A lot of people liked doing that cuz it was a paid work trip so if you got a big out of state school in a cool town that could be fun, but the first time I volunteered for it I got placed with a school in town and that was pointless and terrible and also soul sucking cuz I was sitting in a tent in the dead of winter telling poor college kids their $200 textbook was worth $14.50 so we could take that book and then sell it to another school for $100 and that school could in turn sell it for $175 used. So I vowed never to do that poo poo again, until the next year I was specifically approached because they needed buyback staff at the University of Colorado-Boulder, so work was gonna fly me out to a weed state in the mountains. Naturally I agreed. Turns out, this was what some might refer to as "the old bait and switch," and they didn't end up needing anyone for Boulder, but knowing I was available for that week, they were more than happy to send me to run the buyback booth at a community college in Moberly, Missouri, which is exactly as cool of a place as you are imagining. So they pissed me off real bad and then handed me a bag of cash with about 3x my annual salary in it and gave me the keys to a company van.

If I knew seedier people or had a cousin in the Bahamas I absolutely would have thought about just loving off with the cash. Instead I held on for a few more months and have a much better job now.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

My worst job in terms of treatment was working in the food industry. They did not treat me well, the customers either. They made me get in this inflatable suit as like the mascot of Quiznos and dance by the road. In the summer. In New Orleans. With no ventilation. I had a heat stroke. The most stressful job I ever had that actually made me change careers was working at a local news station as the executive producer of their morning show. They paid way less than the amount of work they gave you was worth, the benefits were none and there was unreasonable expectations.

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

I had another job where I was fired for being unhappy. That was the literally all the HR lady could come up with when I asked her why.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I was fired from Target a few years ago my first week there because they hired too many people for my department, that was a bad day!

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Eventually I just stopped calling in to get hours and I stole the security uniform to use for a Big Boss Man Halloween costume.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
i worked at a pet store for 2 days once. they hired me to be a fish guy but they put me on a 12 hour shift and i spent my first day cleaning porcupine enclosures and they made me drive a dog to the vet in the middle of a blizzard on the second day. so i just didn't show up anymore and they went out of business shortly after. probably because of me.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/Victor_Lucas/status/1350916001458577408

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I worked at Sonic for one shift. Everyone in there was Mormon and really racist towards black people. While washing dishes I slipped on the disgusting greasy floor and landed flat on my back, my hand still gripping the pressure hose for the sink caused it to go off directly in my face as I hit the ground. I walked out and never went back for my pay for that day

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I worked an office job for a few months a loooooong time ago and it was a soul crushing misery I would never wish on anybody. The lovely factory job I worked briefly straight out of school was better than that. Just day after day sitting at a desk, typing up reports, being bewildered as to how ANYBODY could give a poo poo about office politics, with the "highlight" of the week being Friday night drinks where people only talked endlessly about their accounts while knocking back enormous amounts of cheap wine. I was so glad to get out of there, and so happy I've managed to avoid office jobs ever since.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

had a job opening old cans. thje cans all ranged from 50 to 80 years old. my job was to open the can

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So you're the sonuvabitch who let Prince Albert escape? :argh:

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

:toot:

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I was a crematory operator for a pet aftercare place for the last couple years, very bad, soul crushing job.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I got a job that I was unqualified for in that I didn't possess the business acumen required but after seeing others get little flack for sleeping at their desk mid-day or disappearing for periods of time to get physical therapy during work hours, I'm kinda glad that I got let go from that job.

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

One time I got fired from a gig dubbing tapes of Party of Five to Germany because the entire first season was off by a frame. gently caress that place.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I worked for a local cheese maker for a few weeks before being fired for being too slow. Which really means I was the only person who wasn't a family member and I had no interest in learning all the family gossip. My job was mostly flipping wheels of cheese in the brine and helping them smoke cheese. Sometimes I worked the counter of the attached giftshop but they would make you follow everyone around and I hated that.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i opened the cans too fast and they ran out of cans. jobs are being eliminated in this country

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

My worst job was when I was a bouncer for a strip club. The dancers hated us because the owner made us break up touching and they wanted to turn tricks anyway, the patrons hated us because this shithole was basically a brothel, only the bartenders were on our side. It was just godawful every day. I quit after a week when the owner wanted us to run the pockets of drunks we tossed and put that into the tip pool.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
the first Playstation 2 game i bought was The Bouncer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the worst job i ever had was probably my one day stint training to be a store manager for a little caesars out here and finding out my pay was almost half of what they told me it would be during the hire process (they told me $18 an hour but then during training i was told it was $11 an hour). i went home halfway through my shift and actually scored an interview that led me to my current job the very next day.