Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think we need to give more thought to the shriveled dick and balls of jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I don't think the holy corpse had dick and balls when Johnny buried it. this theory is quickly running out of steam

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

how closely did you check

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

NIJIMURAAAAAAAA :negative:

I for one am completely floored by that page.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I just asked my uncle who works at Lucky Land for clarification and he said Araki meant it was the final act of the first half

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The final act of the Higashikata estate saga

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Then we get a filler arc where they travel to Italy to learn about Italian food in great detail

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

It’s really cool to see Nijimura again, I thought for sure Araki had forgotten about her but here she is, about to kick some rear end aaaaaand she’s dead.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm still absolutely convinced Kaato is a complete non-factor, and I'll be shocked if she even appears again. There's setting up foreshadowing and there's obviously dropping something, and Kaato is the latter, given how little impact she's had prior.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

fun issue after a slow stretch, especially “they’re something that does not ‘exist’ in this world… but the fact that they don’t exist means that they can go beyond reason!” - that's right in the style of western comic dialogue i dig the hell out of usually

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
She's important in regards to how Jobin became the way he is.

Also does anybody remember the Josuke Killing Intent panel, I forget what chapter it was in but I know it was a thing.

As for this chapter, what was happening with the panel where Josuke's arm was being grabbed by a bunch of other arms? I know I recognized 1 of the arms as Mamezuku's because of the hosed up hand but I'm not sure I understand what was actually happening there, it kind of reminded me of when Johnny suddenly got the corpse part and he was freaking out about this phantom limb thing. Also, was Yasuho somehow telling Josuke about the stuff that Mamezuku had said about the invisible bubble things or was that just Josuke thinking to himself?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'm still absolutely convinced Kaato is a complete non-factor, and I'll be shocked if she even appears again. There's setting up foreshadowing and there's obviously dropping something, and Kaato is the latter, given how little impact she's had prior.

Same. If she was going to be a bigger factor I think she would have appeared more often, even if only slightly to hint at things or remind us she exists. Her role in the story was to help explain how Jobin wound up how he is, and she's fulfilled that and doesn't really need to do anything else. Yeah maybe she's the mastermind behind everything or will show up to be a final villain but unless it's done very well (which Araki could very well pull off) then it'll just feel like it's come out of left field to try and stretch out the ending.

Jobin could come back somehow, but honestly his story also feels a bit finished? He began doing worse and worse things in more desperation to save his son, ending in him sacrificing his own family - ultimately resulting in him dying as a direct result of his unhealthy drive to accomplish his goals no matter what. The themes around his story are the same as Johnny, Gyro, Diego, and Valentine - how much you're willing to sacrifice to achieve your goals, and where the point lies that you sacrifice too much. This also ties into the themes of the Locacaca in general, where you literally have to sacrifice some part of you in order to gain what you desire. Jobin coming back could definitely be made to work as well, but I feel it would need to be done carefully in order to not undermine the themes around his story.

Honestly it kind of just feels like people want this to not be the end because they want a better final fight or main villain than weird pedi doctor guy we didn't know about until the homestretch.

rko
Jul 12, 2017
E: sure I’ll cop to that, codfish; if Tooru’s the final/main villain, JoJolion will go straight to the bottom of my part tier list. I go on at length about it below, but to make a long story short, it just doesn’t serve as an effective narrative payoff for me. Too much Yasuho, Kei, and Rei, and not enough Josuke. And for a story that’s been so heavily focused on the Higashikatas, it’s weird to barely address that except for depicting them as cannon fodder for Tooru.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Caato is the only person who could’ve had the rock humans delivered as the cargo Kira discovers on his ship. Given that Josuke just headshot’d the last of the rock humans, that whole crew is about to be wiped out, which makes her the last living member of the original conspiracy, since it’s established Jobin didn’t find out until years later. She either is a rock human (with such supernatural concentration she stayed awake for years of hard labor in prison or smuggled in rokakaka to keep from turning to stone) or she’s their closest human ally. Dropping a foundational character in the setting is a big thing to just drop, especially when Araki has done the opposite since SBR, conserving characters and putting them back in the narrative after long absences.

fwiw I lean toward the rock humans, otherwise their entire presence in this story, the long nature documentary that brought up how female rock humans can reproduce with human males, the repeated focus on human-rock human relationships, etc., all of that...is just leading up to Yasuho vs. Tooru with a Josuke assist? Maybe there are folks who find that satisfying.

Now, I could imagine Caato finding a dying Jobin and making a final sacrifice for him, saving his life by merging with him like Josefumi did for Kira. If she really just exists for his story, that sucks—this part is lousy with women who seem to only be in the story as a device in a man’s plot—but it would be consistent and provide a nice bookend. But I think Araki would’ve told us the name of her stand if he was going to do that, since withholding it has to be purposeful and having her say it just before it goes away seems pretty anticlimactic.

I’ll shut up about this tho. After SBR, I should really just trust that Araki knows where he’s trying to go. I’m glad I only have to wait a few months to know where it’s headed at least. Sorry for the wall of text.

rko fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 19, 2021

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I will also cop that if it does end with just Tooru being the final villain, it likely wouldn't be very satisfying and I'm not sure where I'd wind up placing it on my part list. It's kind of hard judging from month to month honestly, I'm looking forward to reading through the part as a whole all at once.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

CodfishCartographer posted:

I will also cop that if it does end with just Tooru being the final villain, it likely wouldn't be very satisfying and I'm not sure where I'd wind up placing it on my part list. It's kind of hard judging from month to month honestly, I'm looking forward to reading through the part as a whole all at once.

I haven't even bothered reading this part seriously at all over the years, and I'm only going to touch it once it's fully over. Reading snippets here and looking at out of context photos is MIGHTY CONFUSING

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Whether this is the end of the story or not, next chapter is almost certainly the end of Tooru, unless Araki goes for a flashback and/or explanation for the whole chapter. Tooru needs to die ASAP or else not only is Yasuho done for (with Josuke marked for death next), but the doctor will be out of Josuke's range and he'll have no way of attacking him again since he can't pursue him out of the room.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I'm betting that door's gonna hit Joshuu instead, since he's doing a whole lot of pursuing still.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
This chapter blows, this whole arc has in hindsight since they got to the secret lab but this really brings home how much of a waste of time it's been. I've cut part 8 a ton of slack over the years but yeeeeeesh

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it's... really taking its time. we've been chewing on 'the bubbles are more than they seem' for over a month it feels like

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Rock humans being raised by wasps was one of the best things in any Jojo series, it's so drat ridiculous and unnecessary. I love it so much.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I really can't tell if reading new unspoilable Jojo in real time is a slog or if this is a Jojolion problem. I really feel like the rest are more focused and clearly longterm goal orientated.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Szmitten posted:

I really can't tell if reading new unspoilable Jojo in real time is a slog or if this is a Jojolion problem. I really feel like the rest are more focused and clearly longterm goal orientated.

Yeah I'm curious about this too. Did people say "part 5 can't be ending, we haven't seen fugo come back yet!"

Honestly I think month to month isn't doing jojolion any favors. If it were weekly then at least we would get drip fed more progression.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Maybe this will be the first Stand-era part of the manga to end without a time battle

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that was already part 7

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
I think Josuke's bubbles can not only remove aspects of things, but also send them away to another dimension similar to D4C or Love Train and that is how it can end the family curse. Love Train specifically was about redirecting calamity, so I bet his power is related to that.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

CodfishCartographer posted:

Honestly I think month to month isn't doing jojolion any favors. If it were weekly then at least we would get drip fed more progression.

I stopped reading it a while back because by far my biggest complaint was that every chapter was a week's worth of content stretched out to a monthly chapter's length just with more panels of minutiae and every character "reacting" with a tim buckley level emotion on their face.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

multijoe posted:

Maybe this will be the first Stand-era part of the manga to end without a time battle

Jojolion itself is the time stand

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Jojolion itself is the time stand

At the end it is revealed that this is all just a flash forward that Jesus is seeing. His stand has time powers.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Ethiser posted:

At the end it is revealed that this is all just a flash forward that Jesus is seeing. His stand has time powers.

his Stand, 『Three Days Grace』

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

that was already part 7

e: just wanna say that I'm still really surprised at how good 7th Stand User is, that rpgmaker game. The worst thing I can say about it is that you can only go into ng+ from non-villain non-joke endings, which unfortunately means that the ending where you befriend Hol Horse, convince him to switch sides, and he secretly helps you during the final fight by providing support fire from a distance and then it ends with you waiting at the airport and meeting him and heading off to be his #1 becomes a dead end and you'd have to start a new game or load a save and go for a different ending :(

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 20, 2021

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

It feels like the characters have been pursuing the Head Doctor for three or four years now. Apparently it's been less than two, I believe? poo poo's dragging on for so long and even some of the cool moments like Wonder of U's neat effect of walking through reflective surfaces and under the sheets isn't making it much better. I'm just ready for it to be over at this point.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Damo deserved to be the top banana imo

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

e: just wanna say that I'm still really surprised at how good 7th Stand User is, that rpgmaker game. The worst thing I can say about it is that you can only go into ng+ from non-villain non-joke endings, which unfortunately means that the ending where you befriend Hol Horse, convince him to switch sides, and he secretly helps you during the final fight by providing support fire from a distance and then it ends with you waiting at the airport and meeting him and heading off to be his #1 becomes a dead end and you'd have to start a new game or load a save and go for a different ending :(

7th SU is fantastic. It's a shame it suffers from that RPGMaker game sin of making you grind every few levels, because it's a very good time outside of that and I must've gotten like a dozen endings.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Pigbuster posted:

Damo deserved to be the top banana imo

For as much as Tooru has been droning on and on. Damo commanded a lot more fear and charisma in the 4 or so chapters he showed up in. Vitamin C is also just a lot more intimidating a stand than Wonder of U in my opinion. He's also the reason Josuke even exists which is a lot more personal than just being Yashuo's old flame + stalker.

I miss him.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REgOnIYSoJo

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Brought To You By posted:

For as much as Tooru has been droning on and on. Damo commanded a lot more fear and charisma in the 4 or so chapters he showed up in. Vitamin C is also just a lot more intimidating a stand than Wonder of U in my opinion. He's also the reason Josuke even exists which is a lot more personal than just being Yashuo's old flame + stalker.

I miss him.

Yeah Damo was 100% a top-tier jojo villain. Going from some weird thumb boyfriend to a stone cold killer was fuckin great

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Having fully caught up with this fight, I'd like to propose a hypothesis.

Quotes from 104:

quote:

They're something that does not *exist* in this world... but the fact that they don't "exist" means that they can go beyond reason!

quote:

They can even overcome a `curse`... they can break the Higashikata family curse and Holly-san's curse, too...

quote:

"The lines are spinning". It's because they don't exist in this world that they can surpass it."

quote:

If something that does not exist in this world... does exist somewhere, If there perhaps exists something... that is not affected by the logic of this world...

And we can see that the spinning bubbles apparently creates invisible microbubbles that also spin, something Gappy can't see or even know about. Given that it already struck and wounded Wonder Of U, we know this works and that it follows the rules outlaid above -- that they exist, but not within this universe. Given that the various other final battles throughout the Jojo series have involved time/space in some way, I'm calling my shot: Gappy will defeat Wonder Of U by using the Spin's quantum mechanics and thus strike at Wonder Of U without actually striking at him / pursuing him. Some mixture of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_(physics) and the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauli_exclusion_principle perhaps?

I'm also expecting some sort of parallel universe fuckery to come into play here, as we've already established (twice!) in previous parts (Made in Heaven, D4C) that parallel universes are not only fair game in Jojo but also actively employed, and that Wonder Of U makes an explicit mention of things that don't exist in this world not following this world's logic.

Even if I'm wrong, I think 104 gave us enough clues that, when the twist (spin) is revealed we'll go back and go "yeah we should've guessed":

quote:

1. Wonder Of U cannot be pursued without being punished by [calamity]
1a. No one has ever evaded calamity
1b. Nothing in this world is capable of doing so
2. Things exist that don't exist in this universe
3. Wonder Of U is vulnerable to things that don't obey this-universe's logic
4. Mamezuku recognized this weakness and told Gappy to use it
4a. We've already seen it work, once
5. It involves the Joestar birthmark

That should enough to figure out the mystery, right?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

So all this time we're thinking he's related to Johnny when he's got Funny Valentine's blood bringing his bubbles through dimensions....

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
He's using the spin in order to borrow the properties of the combined killer queen + stray cat of part 4 in order to fire destructive explosive air bullets from another dimension.

GimmickMan posted:

7th SU is fantastic. It's a shame it suffers from that RPGMaker game sin of making you grind every few levels, because it's a very good time outside of that and I must've gotten like a dozen endings.

I love how the game's original story goes all JJBA as gently caress with the twist of the entire game only happening because of a combination of Made in Heaven speeding up time while another person was using their own stand that freezes the world into a film strip for them to view events in the future and the past, with time going so fast that the film strip became a single frame with lots of jojo history compressed into one place which is why the time compression is happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
My guess is that the bubbles that are actually spinning strings are spinning with such a perfect ratio that they breach the universe to bring in something that doesn't exist in the current timeline: hamon.

Gappy will use spin ripple overdrive to kill the doctor, and use healing hamon to cure the curses.