Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Titan's Bane was really good while it lasted. I guess I have a thing for immersive tank crew stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I am reading Avenging Son and have just gotten to the bit where they go to mars to meet Cawl.

is alpha primis an attempt to recreate thr primarchs? I've read The Great Work and got a completely different vibe, by that was pre the retcon

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

notaspy posted:

I am reading Avenging Son and have just gotten to the bit where they go to mars to meet Cawl.

is alpha primis an attempt to recreate thr primarchs? I've read The Great Work and got a completely different vibe, by that was pre the retcon

There is no confirmation, but it seems likely. Either recreating the Primarchs or Cawl initially tried to go even further with the Primaris and Alpha Primus was the only (semi) success that survived. Nothing in The Great Work has been retconned, as far as I know the Dark Imperium books haven't been either except for the timeline they happen in.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

notaspy posted:

Oh gently caress I bought that on a whim cause the LE was pretty, I'm not usually into Ultramarines. But I love Cawl with all of my lifeless mechanical heart, so now I'm excited.

Oh whoops the spoiler shows up in reply, oh well, here's my take - the gist I got in TGW was that Alpha Primaris was a prototype of the Primaris marine, not a later version

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Yeah my impression of him was more that he was some combination of gene seed prototype, so not only slaved to Crawl but also not gene triggered or whatever by any specific Primarch. I don't think he's especially better than other marines but maybe more hand crafted? So more analagous to a custodes.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Alpha Primus is definitely better than other Marines even if just by dint of his incredibly powerful psyker abilities.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Looks like February 20th for a whole bunch of fancy preorders including Bequin, Pariah and Liber Xenologis.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I loved Pariah, even though I know a lot of fans didn’t, and I am beyond psyched that the sequel is finally here.

I am Alpharius gave me chills.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I loved Pariah, even though I know a lot of fans didn’t, and I am beyond psyched that the sequel is finally here.

I really enjoyed it, even if if wasn't at all what I'd been expecting. Still, I was fascinated by what was going on and I hope Abnett can pick up the pieces after an eight year hiatus.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

As for the siege series, I understand not giving ADB two books, because he takes his sweet time. They could’ve given Chris Wraight two. I mean giving two of them to John French?? What were they thinking

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Miguel Prado posted:

As for the siege series, I understand not giving ADB two books, because he takes his sweet time. They could’ve given Chris Wraight two. I mean giving two of them to John French?? What were they thinking

He's been much better the last few years. The Horusian Wars series is excellent and so was The Solar War.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

D-Pad posted:

He's been much better the last few years. The Horusian Wars series is excellent and so was The Solar War.

Yeah, French has really skilled up. The Horusian war series was super atmospheric and well done, and the Ahriman series deserves some praise as an early effort.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Immanentized posted:

Yeah, French has really skilled up. The Horusian war series was super atmospheric and well done, and the Ahriman series deserves some praise as an early effort.

I just could not get into “slaves to darkness” at all, think that left a bad taste in my mouth. I’ll try Mortis

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

I bought the soul drinkers omnibus and never finished the second book, wasn't a great fan of slaves to darkness either. I really enjoyed the Ahriman series though and his Horusian wars series is excellent. French has improved hugely in his writing.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

I'm still mad that Penitent is getting an LE release but Pariah isn't. My shelves aren't going to look good :mad:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

MrNemo posted:

I bought the soul drinkers omnibus and never finished the second book, wasn't a great fan of slaves to darkness either. I really enjoyed the Ahriman series though and his Horusian wars series is excellent. French has improved hugely in his writing.

Soul Drinkers is Ben Counter

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

I'm still mad that Penitent is getting an LE release but Pariah isn't. My shelves aren't going to look good :mad:

Now that they are going back and doing the Ravenor series in LE I think there is a good chance we get a Pariah LE at some point.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 20, 2021

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I hear you, not Black Library, but I'm still bothered that my Malazan books are 1 fat normal paperback then 9 cool larger trade paperbacks.

I have a shelf of Horus Heresy 1-30 paperbacks and sunk cost fallacy still wants me to get the rest while I can now that its technically completed.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

D-Pad posted:

Soul Drinkers is Ben Counter

How weird, for some reason I've had John French as the author in my head since reading it. I can only apologise to him for this insult.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I got the impression from reading Pariah that it might make a fantastic introduction to the 40k setting, oddly enough for the seventh volume in a series.

"Young girl grows up in a creepy orphanage that trains special talents" is a very familiar trope to start the book with, and one that might appeal to those who don't enjoy military fiction. The main character knows virtually nothing about the wider 40k universe and slowly discovers it as the story advances. I think she doesn't really know what the Inquisition is and needs it explained (but to a real-world reader, the name "Inquisition" is usually enough to get a rough idea.) She knows about the Ecclesiarchy, but "creepy, corrupt, super-powerful not-Catholic Church" doesn't require much explanation either. The chaos marines are the only characters that might leave the reader a little confused, but as long as they get the gist of "really strong, demonically-powered bad guys" they should be able to follow the scenes and maybe get enticed into learning more about them. Plenty of successful fantasy settings didn't explain everything that appeared in the first book, especially if the protagonist was a newbie.

Am I completely off-base here?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Just finished up the third Night Lords book (well, finished the omnibus) and holy poo poo. What a great story it was all the way through. As characters come and go you really get a feel for how futile and nihilistic a job it is to try and keep the legion going; but it's all they've ever known, and they're genetically coded to do only that. It's surprisingly nuanced for "evil space Batmans".

Though I'll admit I could have done without the Octavia and Septimus love subplot

It was my first ADB book and I'm impressed as hell by his writing.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Yep, it’s the book that makes the Night Lords cool alright.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

You and me both. I absolutely loved Pariah as a continuation of but also change of perspective from the previous Eisenhorn/Ravenor books. The plot has really gripped me, especially in combination with Magos. I'm planning to re-read Pariah and maybe the novella from Magos when Penitent releases.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Any recommendations for Warhammer audiobooks or dramas? I have some Audible credits to burn. I prefer books for full length novels unless they have more production behind them.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Just finished up the third Night Lords book (well, finished the omnibus) and holy poo poo. What a great story it was all the way through. As characters come and go you really get a feel for how futile and nihilistic a job it is to try and keep the legion going; but it's all they've ever known, and they're genetically coded to do only that. It's surprisingly nuanced for "evil space Batmans".

Though I'll admit I could have done without the Octavia and Septimus love subplot

It was my first ADB book and I'm impressed as hell by his writing.

Lucky you, ADB is one of the top 3 BL authors alongside Abnett and Wraight and you should read his other stuff next. If you want more chaos marines I highly recommend Talon of Horus and Black Legion for a similar treatment of the Black Legion as he gave the Night Lords. Spear of the Emperor is an excellent look at a loyalist chapter with their backs up against the wall in Imperium Nihilis. All of his HH stuff is great
and pretty much everything else he has written.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Any recommendations for Warhammer audiobooks or dramas? I have some Audible credits to burn. I prefer books for full length novels unless they have more production behind them.

Dredge Runner, the new warhammer crime audio drama is great.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Bloodlines, the first full length Warhammer Crime novel if you want, well a crime novel set in the Warhammer universe. Avenging Son if you want something a little more traditional that sets up what's going on in the 40k universe in 9th edition.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Helsreach if you haven't read it.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Hiro Protagonist posted:

The Infinite and the Divine is pretty good and about 12 hours long if you're afraid you're not going to get your money's worth.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The Infinite and the Divine is easily one of the best 40k books imo, I hope we get more

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Biplane posted:

The Infinite and the Divine is easily one of the best 40k books imo, I hope we get more

When Necron Grimdark Indiana Jones punched a dinosaur to death after it made a spirited attempt to eat him, I was hooked.

That happens in like chapter 1 its not a spoiler.

To be fair, Trazyn is my absolute favorite character in the 40k verse because he's basically the only one having a good time that isn't an ork.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

VanSandman posted:

When Necron Grimdark Indiana Jones punched a dinosaur to death after it made a spirited attempt to eat him, I was hooked.

To be fair, Trazyn is my absolute favorite character in the 40k verse because he's basically the only one having a good time that isn't an ork.

Unsurprisingly he has his most fun when the Orks are around.

A writer should Yarrick him by having him become some sort of ultimate frienemy to the orks.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

VanSandman posted:

If you like Trazyn you really need to read Rites of Passage because the main character is an old navigator woman that has a similar outlook. She's basically all four golden girls combined into one person and made the head of a major navigator house. Trazyn vs Chetta would be amazing.

Edit: Also everybody should read Brutal Kunnin' for another book that is "fun" like Infinite and Divine

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 21, 2021

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

D-Pad posted:

If you like Trazyn you really need to read Rites of Passage because the main character is an old navigator woman that has a similar outlook. She's basically all four golden girls combined into one person and made the head of a major navigator house. Trazyn vs Chetta would be amazing.

Edit: Also everybody should read Brutal Kunnin' for another book that is "fun" like Infinite and Divine

The "Infinite and the Divine" and "Brutal Kunnin'" are indeed excellent and everyone should read them.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Oh man Penitent is finally coming out.

I've been waiting for so long

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

notaspy posted:

Unsurprisingly he has his most fun when the Orks are around.

A writer should Yarrick him by having him become some sort of ultimate frienemy to the orks.

I tried writing a Yarrick and Ork story for one of BL's submissions a few years ago. I never finished it but the idea that the Orks absolutely love this homicidal octogenarian who wants nothing more than to kill them is hilarious.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

boredsatellite posted:

Oh man Penitent is finally coming out.

I've been waiting for so long

I'm in the same boat. I don't know if it's just wishful thinking, but it feels like all the little threads from the first two series and all the tiny glimpses of the Cognitae are winding up and running into each other and I want to see how it all goes so horribly wrong.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'm gonna try reading the previous books in anticipation.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Are thee any good Tau books, I've never really read much about them.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Blades of Damocles, the Farsight novella, Crisis of Faith and Empire of Lies is a Tau series by Phil Kelly that was pretty entertaining and is a good look at Tau society.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Reading through Farsight's Crisis of Faith and Empire of Lies right now, the non-combat segments are pretty decent, gives some good insight about Tau culture, the action bits are mediocre imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I'd agree with that.

But I'll be honest most of the time in 40k books the action is something you read to get through for another hit of lore.