Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
AA-1010 Thunderbolt 2x2 stronk, can belly land every time*.

* clear all stores first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Another fun dewpoint related bit of trivia: In 2006, the FAA accidentally put out a legal opinion that would ground small airplanes any time it was humid and cold.

Someone had asked an FAA office for a definition of "known icing" conditions (which is generally described as below-freezing temperatures and visible moisture), and the FAA somehow decided that "known icing conditions exist when visible moisture or high relative humidity combines with temperatures near or below freezing" was the correct definition.

The problem with that was the fact that "high relative humidity" is very vague, and there aren't actually any aviation weather reports or forecasts that give relative humidity, so that definition was not only virtually impossible to follow, but it meant that technically, aircraft without approved deicing equipment couldn't fly any time it was humid.

Predictably, the aviation community reacted with a collective "WTF?", but since the FAA moves as fast as a tranqulized turtle, it took the agency two years to officially put out an "oops, our bad" legal opinion that went back to the old definition.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Platystemon posted:

Winds are weird today at KSFO so they’re landing 01R.

Here’s a video from last year of what that looks like.

https://twitter.com/rob_tjader/status/1226674327690436608

I’ve landed on the 10s but I’ve never had the pleasure of landing on the 1s, always wanted to do bad, now I don’t fly there anymore :saddowns:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Platystemon posted:

Winds are weird today at KSFO so they’re landing 01R.

Here’s a video from last year of what that looks like.

https://twitter.com/rob_tjader/status/1226674327690436608

Neat, that's like a lame version of Kai Tak!

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

eggyolk posted:

Jerry comes up way to often in this thread. Aeronautical Insanity is such a big topic, it's sad that this one obscure rear end in a top hat causes boring derails every week.

Here's something I drew for the thread a while back.

Someone drew this one a while back too

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Well, now I wanna hear 6 GAU-8s firing simultaneously.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

azflyboy posted:

Another fun dewpoint related bit of trivia: In 2006, the FAA accidentally put out a legal opinion that would ground small airplanes any time it was humid and cold.

Considering its collusion with Boeing and the quality of Bush II appointees this does not surprise me

MrYenko posted:

Well, now I wanna hear 6 GAU-8s firing simultaneously.

You can, but only once

It's just like wishing a Cadillac 8-6-4 could do 25,000 RPM

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nebakenezzer posted:

It's just like wishing a Cadillac 8-6-4 could do 25,000 RPM

I mean, it CAN.

Not for LONG.

Or more than once...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MrChips posted:

Neat, that's like a lame version of Kai Tak!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Someone recorded a couple of landings from the parking garage.

https://streamable.com/5nep2g
https://streamable.com/cohoxf

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Jeez that is pretty breezy lookin!

I was flying into SFO in Dec 2019 and a whole ton of flights were just scrubbed completely because of the wind, it hosed up the travel plans bigtime. And with all those cancelled flights it had a hellacious ripple effect.

moparacker
May 8, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Someone recorded a couple of landings from the parking garage.

https://streamable.com/5nep2g
https://streamable.com/cohoxf

If only I knew that there was a perfect viewing spot like that when they changed the runway! I totally would have driven up and watched instead of listening to a wind whipped tree smack against my apartment...

moparacker
May 8, 2007

priznat posted:

Jeez that is pretty breezy lookin!

I was flying into SFO in Dec 2019 and a whole ton of flights were just scrubbed completely because of the wind, it hosed up the travel plans bigtime. And with all those cancelled flights it had a hellacious ripple effect.

Abnormally windy for the area. Felt a bit like a Nor'easter rolling in just without the precipitation. SFO was averaging ~45 MPH (gusting to 53) from the NNE most of the day. Only getting ~25 MPH (gusting to ~30) where I'm at, but I'm 30 miles South and inland from the Bay.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

moparacker posted:

Abnormally windy for the area. Felt a bit like a Nor'easter rolling in just without the precipitation. SFO was averaging ~45 MPH (gusting to 53) from the NNE most of the day. Only getting ~25 MPH (gusting to ~30) where I'm at, but I'm 30 miles South and inland from the Bay.

Do they ever close the bridges across the south bay for wind, especially for large trucks?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

azflyboy posted:

That explanation seems odd to me, since the airports I'm familiar with deactivate badges that are reported as lost/stolen, but it's very possible that the airport somehow didn't do that, or the guy just piggybacked through doors or there were doors that didn't need a badge scan to get through.

Somebody posted on reddit where the employee vending machines are located at MSP. The machines are a fraction of the price of the public machines. The only thing securing them is a sign on the door.

>a lot of people get upset at the lack of food if you're stuck here past 9pm. Along with the lack of a comforting and quiet place to sleep or relax. Most people live off of vending machine snacks or overpriced candy bars for the night unfortunately.
>
>Food- There is a sandwich vending machine behind the prince store that people don't know about and never gets used. Its priced for employees, so prices are 50% of what the normal ones charge. To find it, go to the prince store right across from stone arch restaurant. Go behind the prince store where you see the cutaway and where the REAL ID station is at. Make a right and go through the doors that say "Authorized personnel only". You can go through these doors, you just can't use or access the elevator in this room. The doors are propped open 75% of the time anyways. All of the vending machines are employee machines so the prices are slashed in half, along with the sandwiches.
>
>Comfort- Go to the mezzanine level (floor 2) once youre inside security. All of the vending machines up here are also employee prices that the public are allowed to access. Up here you will see "Quiet rooms" that have sleeper cushions for anyone to use, and its a quiet comforting space with doors that not everyone knows about. The rest of the upstairs is all office space. Don't go into any of the other rooms up here unless they're specified for the public.
>
>
>Hope this helps if youre ever stuck at MSP Airport !
>
>edit: 75% of the time the door is propped open, so youll just see a tiny room with a few vending machines and an elevator
>
>Also this is at terminal 1. Next time im at terminal 2 ill check to see if theres any employee machines the public can access.

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 20, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MisterOblivious posted:

Somebody posted on reddit where the employee toilets and vending machines are located at MSP. The machines are a fraction of the price of the public machines. The only thing securing them is a sign on the door.

It’s not even intended to be secure, it’s just nobody goes upstairs in MSP.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

That's fascinating because I've never, ever seen an approach like that in Canada, where you have to be visual but still follow waypoints.

moparacker
May 8, 2007

priznat posted:

Do they ever close the bridges across the south bay for wind, especially for large trucks?

I'm not certain if they ever close them (I very rarely cross them so I don't keep tabs.). A quick peek does show that they advise to slow down when wind speeds reach 30 MPH but no mention of a past closing.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Aha! Unexpected visual approaches! Finally 1500 hours of instructing VFR bullshit pays off! :zoid:

moparacker
May 8, 2007

priznat posted:

I checked with a lifelong local guy who drives a delivery truck around the Bay area. He's never heard or experienced any of the bridges being closed. They've either never had a truck pushed over or it's too rare to enact a no crossing warning.

High wind warnings/closings were a thing when I lived next to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. Having a box truck blown into the water wasn't uncommon, even with warnings being given.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Is "No missed approach procedure" common or exactly as sketch as it sounds like?

moparacker
May 8, 2007

They're just taking a page from current education standards, "No plane left behind".

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Munin posted:

Is "No missed approach procedure" common or exactly as sketch as it sounds like?

Not sketchy at all. It doesn't mean you can't go around, it just means there's no prescribed procedure for what to do after, like an instrument approach has. So you fly a regular pattern, or (far likelier) vectors from ATC. This is the case for every visual approach, thousands of which are flown every day in airline ops.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
There are a few airports where "no missed approach procedure" means just what you think it does, though.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

PT6A posted:

That's fascinating because I've never, ever seen an approach like that in Canada, where you have to be visual but still follow waypoints.

Charted visual approaches are relatively common in the US, but I’m not sure how many have specific GPS waypoints versus “fly this altitude to the river, then turn final over those power lines”.

A few years ago, SEA used to use a pair of charted visual approaches (the Husky and Bay visuals) all the time when the weather permitted, but once the airport got slammed with traffic from the Alaska/Delta dick-waving contest, they basically abandoned them innvzcor of just vectoring everyone.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

well while we are at it how bout a double thunderscreech

You don't need bullets if you scream em to death :unsmigghh:

coldpudding fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jan 20, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

powerful beriev energy

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Sagebrush posted:

There are a few airports where "no missed approach procedure" means just what you think it does, though.

Brave of them to put a building between the runway and the mountain

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

standard.deviant posted:

Brave of them to put a building between the runway and the mountain

"Ablative braking apparatus."

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Been watching KC-135s orbiting DC the past couple of days. Yesterday saw one pass at 24,000 ft linked up with an F-16 that peeled away a minute later after topping off. Just caught another pass this evening and saw another departing fighter with afterburners lit. Not sure if this always happens or if this some air patrol operation surrounding the inauguration.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Rip Testes posted:

Been watching KC-135s orbiting DC the past couple of days. Yesterday saw one pass at 24,000 ft linked up with an F-16 that peeled away a minute later after topping off. Just caught another pass this evening and saw another departing fighter with afterburners lit. Not sure if this always happens or if this some air patrol operation surrounding the inauguration.

FR24 seems to be going "ah gently caress it" with not blocking military flights lately.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

FR24 seems to be going "ah gently caress it" with not blocking military flights lately.

That was actually another question I had. Yesterday I tracked two E-6b Mercury flights in the area and the KC-135s over DC all morning then this afternoon the 135s went dark despite them passing overhead every 10-15 minutes. Are the planes choosing to broadcast intermittently or is this on the part of FR24?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Rip Testes posted:

Not sure if this always happens or if this some air patrol operation surrounding the inauguration.
Haven't lived in DC for a while, but right after 9/11 the same thing was going on, with refueling happening low enough that you could watch it. Then it went away after a few months, so I would guess its cover for the inauguration to avoid a Tom Clancy scenario.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Rip Testes posted:

That was actually another question I had. Yesterday I tracked two E-6b Mercury flights in the area and the KC-135s over DC all morning then this afternoon the 135s went dark despite them passing overhead every 10-15 minutes. Are the planes choosing to broadcast intermittently or is this on the part of FR24?

as I understand it they are always broadcasting - flight controllers still need to know where they are - and it's up to the website to choose whether or not to block it for casual viewing based on whether or not they care about ADS-B privacy

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Rip Testes posted:

It's uncommon but not unheard of for KC-135s to do a racetrack around/over DC.

Psion posted:

as I understand it they are always broadcasting - flight controllers still need to know where they are - and it's up to the website to choose whether or not to block it for casual viewing based on whether or not they care about ADS-B privacy

The only time they're not is when they're out off the coastline away from an ADS-B receivers. The E-4s are trackable as well - just look for military B742s with callsigns like GORDO and NIGHT. The VC-25s usually show up as "82-8000" or something, but never AF1. AF2 *will* show up as that callsign, though.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 21, 2021

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Psion posted:

My brother flys P-8s and I want to say they they will turn theirs off if not in congested airspace, but I could be wrong there. I’ll need to double check. Granted If they’re off on a sub patrol they don’t have much interest/need of broadcasting their location.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Rip Testes posted:

Presidential or other important TFRs sometimes have fighter coverage, but not always. I've managed them from AWACS or ATC facilities, and never had to do more than make a few calls on guard to give a moron a vector, to a location where he will be met by men with badges in dark suits.

Rip Testes posted:

Another possibility might be if they don't have to broadcast in military airspace. I don't know if that's a thing or not, though.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

That gave me a vague memory of a story where something was going on and a fighter pilot just did a high speed low pass over the crowd and settled it down. Granted it may shatter windows for miles, I wonder how effective something like that might be towards big mobs.

I was woken up by a very low flying heli today again that circled my neighborhood twice. I didn't see it, but Apaches and Blackhawks have done so off and on this past year. It's super awesome, but also pretty intimidating seeing a military aircraft low and seemingly interested in you (I live in a rural area not far from Lewis/McChord, so it gets frequent traffic).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

AzureSkys posted:

That gave me a vague memory of a story where something was going on and a fighter pilot just did a high speed low pass over the crowd and settled it down. Granted it may shatter windows for miles, I wonder how effective something like that might be towards big mobs.

Pretty sure show of force passes were pretty common in Afghanistan. Nothing says “we’re not loving around” like a pair of A-10s or Apaches going over your head.