Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Hannibal Rex posted:

Remember Lost? Me neither.

Lost has actually been getting some positive retrospectives recently, although IMO it doesn't really hold up. The serial-focused pacing and plotting doesn't really lend itself to being able to stream every episode in short order.

TowerofOil posted:

I had a friend who thought jaime was pronounced hi-me.

That's not so bizarre, depending on where you grew up. The guy who introduced me to the series also used the same pronunciation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
I guess I think its a weird pronunciation in a book about fantasy medieval England

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Justin Credible posted:

I still think the most mind boggling reveal I had in the entire series got pointed out by goons.

Damp-hair not dam-fair.

Also, Phoenix Down is feathers, like goose down in a pillow or jacket.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

PittTheElder posted:

That feels entirely likely for anyone who grew up in a Spanish speaking place.

I almost feel worse for the kids named Arya. Like you were so close to getting the same but plausibly deniable name of Aria.

What's worse, being named arya because of ASOIAF or Eragon?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
As well as the series started off it really is unbelievable how bad it got in the later seasons. If it was even halfway decent I think people would have forgiven a lot but it got soooo bad.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Nerdburger_Jansen posted:

If this is directed at me, I just haven't read him. I wasn't trying to be exhaustive, just pointing out that fantasy has more good authors at its foundation than people usually give it credit for, and that Tolkien is good but not singular.
It was a joke directed at ChubbyChecker.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Justin Credible posted:

I still think the most mind boggling reveal I had in the entire series got pointed out by goons.

Damp-hair not dam-fair.

I'm joining with the dum dums. What's this a reference to?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I'm joining with the dum dums. What's this a reference to?

Theon's uncle's name. Damphair is not some weird title, he literally has damp hair from always being in the water.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Well, it is a pretty weird little title either way.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I blame knowing what a dhampir is for the mental mispronunciations. If I had been slightly less dorky I would have realized it was literal instead of wondering why they were teasing him for being half vampire. Like Blade, but with wet hair.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
New guide to Gurm's magnum opus.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
the series would have been remembered fine if it stayed the same quality but just went with the fanfiction plot points like Jaime/Arya killing Cersei and Jon killing the Night King only to then marry Dany and become king. people liked season 7 even though it was just as bad. D&D tried to do the things GRRM told them to do (Bran becoming king) or things they thought were subversive because Game of Thrones must have things happening you don't expect (Arya killing the Night King.) they really should have just gone for fan-service

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ague Proof posted:

the series would have been remembered fine if it stayed the same quality but just went with the fanfiction plot points like Jaime/Arya killing Cersei and Jon killing the Night King only to then marry Dany and become king. people liked season 7 even though it was just as bad. D&D tried to do the things GRRM told them to do (Bran becoming king) or things they thought were subversive because Game of Thrones must have things happening you don't expect (Arya killing the Night King.) they really should have just gone for fan-service

Yeah, when was the Dorne plot? The show was overall pretty poo poo since at least that time.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t care if it was Gurms real decision or not. Chomping out the Night King as a mid boss was the wrong decision. You’re apocalyptic zombie horde should be the last thing you face. Not the crazy lady in a castle that has 3 less dragons than you.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Dorne was season 5. That was the first obviously terrible season.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

PittTheElder posted:

That feels entirely likely for anyone who grew up in a Spanish speaking place.

I almost feel worse for the kids named Arya. Like you were so close to getting the same but plausibly deniable name of Aria.

Arya's an actual name unlike Khaleesi so you have some plausible deniability like "oh my parents to wanted to name me noble (really grrm real subtle) and they wanted something foreign"

Ague Proof posted:

It is the easiest thing in the loving world to have Jon do some fighting ,have Arya show up and they fight together because ya know wolves hunt in packs but themes are for 8th grade book reports I guess

Okay I'm 100% sure GRRM is planning to die before finishing these now, even him refusing to just add an 8th book makes sense because if he did a new contract they might put in a clause they his estate has to pay back or something.

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 22, 2021

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Phenotype posted:

That one eluded me for a while, but wasn't my brain in space exploding.

The damfair thing is a combination of those letters together always being a f sound in English, along with GURRM's use of poo poo like 'nuncle' in the same loving chapters.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Has any show ever fallen as far and fast as GoT did? It was dominating pop culture and even with the later seasons being worse, people were still excited for various reasons. Then the final episode hit and people collectively asked what the gently caress and then... nothing.

I see more people talk about Rome than GoT at this point and I'd be surprised if that show had 1/10th the viewers.

There's talk they're gonna do a Robert's Rebellion show and my first thought was "eh, whatever." Three years ago it would have been "gently caress YEAH!"

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hannibal Rex posted:

Remember Lost? Me neither.

I didn't watch the show, but yes. I'm pretty sure I've seen it mentioned more in the last year than GoT and what little mention was definitely more positive than GoT mentions were.

Phenotype posted:

I don't understand how people didn't get this one unless they've never heard of down = feather. In FF6 the animation is literally feathers floating down on to the target.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Phoenixes(ii?) rise from the dead and your party member is down.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Lost was also still spawning shows that wanted to be Lost too years after it was finished. The only two shows that want to be Games of Thrones too--Amazon's Lord of the Rings and The Wheel of Time, are still years away from premiering on screens and won't have that GoT magic fumes to try and gobble up like the Lost imitators did with Lost.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TK-42-1 posted:

Phoenixes(ii?) rise from the dead and your party member is down.
Yeah most kids aren't raised in Victorian Britain and hear a lot about downy pillows, and this is the logic they arrive on.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
I'll always laugh at HBO desperately trying to get interest in more got media and nobody giving a gently caress. It feels like every few months there's a rumor about a new got prequel or some poo poo and just nobody loving cares.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He hasn’t finished this book either tho 🤔

Or did he finally finish She-Wolves of Winterfell?

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
I'd go on a limb and say that Lost finale wasn't quite as bad as GoT's.

Granted, with Lost, the writers clearly didn't have any idea for anything long-term that would tie it all in, and were just throwing any random poo poo they could think of at the plot by the latter half of the series. Still, there were some great character moments and some truly batshit insane bits which were amusing just by virtue of being completely unhinged, all spiced with this complete 100% earnestness and seriousness of it all that contrasted nicely with all the what-the-fuckery.

The latter seasons of GoT, on the other hand, just got increasingly bland and stupid and somehow annoyingly smug at the same time.

And now I want to rewatch Lost lol

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

nurmie posted:

I'm half-convinced that there's a way to edit together LOST that makes it a really gripping story, where they cut out the majority of the episodes (including the escape/return to the island) and a lot of the stuff that couldn't really be explained, and focus in on the island mystery leading to the time travel bits and eventually the Jacob/MIB conflict, while alluding to the idea that the protagonists are dead and in some sort of afterlife/purgatory helping to decide the battle between good and evil. There's a core of a good story there, but it got bogged down with too many 22 hour-long episode seasons and too many dumb unplanned mysteries introduced to ratchet up the tension.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Ague Proof posted:

This is an interesting point. I wonder if they had done the same ending, but in a much more competent
fashion, people still would have grumbled because it didn't meet their expectations of who they thought the heroes were going to be.

I personally wouldn't have liked an ending as you describe, it would have felt a bit too rote.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

nurmie posted:

I'd go on a limb and say that Lost finale wasn't quite as bad as GoT's.

Granted, with Lost, the writers clearly didn't have any idea for anything long-term that would tie it all in, and were just throwing any random poo poo they could think of at the plot by the latter half of the series. Still, there were some great character moments and some truly batshit insane bits which were amusing just by virtue of being completely unhinged, all spiced with this complete 100% earnestness and seriousness of it all that contrasted nicely with all the what-the-fuckery.

The latter seasons of GoT, on the other hand, just got increasingly bland and stupid and somehow annoyingly smug at the same time.

The final season of Lost was about as good as they could've done at that point and there are a bunch of really solid performances throughout the series where chances are you enjoy at least one of the core narratives in any given season. I would definitely watch a cohesive supercut that trimmed out the fat in favor of 2-3 really strong seasons.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I think BSG is a better comparison. It was all downhill from the first episode.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

I think BSG is a better comparison. It was all downhill from the first episode.

Both Battlestar Galactica and Game of Thrones each have a very clear delineation mark for the point of no return of their quality: BSG's is ONE YEAR LATER, and GoT's is The Red Wedding. Once you cross those thresholds, both shows stop being categorically "good" and begin the unstoppable slides into flaming wrecks that obliterate their respective burgeoning franchises upon final impact.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I don't know, I thought the good-guys-as-suicide-bombers and the escape from New Caprica was the highlight of BSG.

But after that, yeah, totally agree.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I actually really enjoyed BSG all the way through. There's definitely some missteps with magic Starbuck and the dancing robots, but it doesn't flub the ending anywhere near as badly as Lost or GOT did.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Eason the Fifth posted:

I don't know, I thought the good-guys-as-suicide-bombers and the escape from New Caprica was the highlight of BSG.

But after that, yeah, totally agree.

Yeah, I should have clarified that both shows still had some great moments in the tank like the escape from New Caprica, the entirety of Razor, the standoff over the Final Five, the "Earth" reveal, the Purple Wedding, the Battle of the Bastards, blowing up the Great Sept of Baelor, and the Field of Fire, but the overall trend was downward.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah most kids aren't raised in Victorian Britain and hear a lot about downy pillows, and this is the logic they arrive on.

This is fascinating. :allears: I never even heard of this video game controversy, probably because English isn't my first language and our localization straight up used the word for "feather", so the first time I saw "Phoenix Down" even my bad English immediately went "feather" and then I never thought about this again until today.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

As a non-english native as well this is the first time I've ever heard "down" being related to a pillow (or a feather), I've always also taken it as a "party down, Phoenix rez" type of thing.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

TeaJay posted:

As a non-english native as well this is the first time I've ever heard "down" being related to a pillow (or a feather), I've always also taken it as a "party down, Phoenix rez" type of thing.

I'm guessing your country didn't bother localizing into your local language? :v:

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

nurmie posted:

Smug is the right word. They didn't understand why the Red Wedding was so effective - it wasn't just the spectacle, it was the payoff on a number of fronts, especially thematically and for individual character arcs.

Their themes-are-for-book-reports dismissiveness meant they'd never be able to reach that high again.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Localizing retro games? That was indeed not a thing in Finland, and for the better, because they would've been inferior to the originals for sure. I think only the bigger european countries had laws for localizing game content and that meant delays on game releases for everyone.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TeaJay posted:

Localizing retro games? That was indeed not a thing in Finland, and for the better, because they would've been inferior to the originals for sure. I think only the bigger european countries had laws for localizing game content and that meant delays on game releases for everyone.

You'd think so, but there are a lot of games (Lufia II) for example, with poo poo English localization but astonishingly high-quality German translation. Generally, you get as much out of a localization as effort has been put in.

There was also the issue where German games sometimes were directly translated from the original Japanese, not from an English script. (Also, :lol: at English being the "original" version of old Japanese retro games)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
Yeah Lost definitely needed/needs an extra edit pass (or eight) to trim it down into something geat. It kind of feels like the opposite to GoT, really, with the writers trying to cram literally every single theme they could come up with into the narrative. And yeah, the mysteries got out of hand real quick lol

Cavelcade posted:

Smug is the right word. They didn't understand why the Red Wedding was so effective - it wasn't just the spectacle, it was the payoff on a number of fronts, especially thematically and for individual character arcs.

Their themes-are-for-book-reports dismissiveness meant they'd never be able to reach that high again.

Yeah I've never been this baffled by a quote from a professional writer, to be honest. It's like saying "metaphors are for LOSERS" or something. It's not surprising they learned all the wrong lessons from RW