Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ho fan
Oct 6, 2014

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The quests to find and fight like 10 specific Sujimon suck a dog's rear end. I spent 20 minutes running around Koreatown and found one gambler. Do they unlock anything cool or can I ignore them safely

No, the only reason to do them is if you have a brain disease and want to get the the highest rank of part-time hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

welp, beat demon souls again, so it's time to get back on the Yakuza train. Starting number 3 now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shove off with this video Rina, I was hoping for an epic shirt or possibly a very strong bat.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

drat theres a reason they call chapter 9 of yakuza 3 the plot, huh

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
dame dane.... baka mitai

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Fungah! posted:

drat theres a reason they call chapter 9 of yakuza 3 the plot, huh

black monday

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Just started three. It's rough around the edges, kiyru's VA sounds young and the fighting is rigid but goddamn do I love the story already.

(Playing on easy mode because I read it for the articles)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I dunno how to approach 3-5, I want to play them all but don't want to get burned out and I get the impression 3 and 4 are the weakest and 5 is good but insanely long... it would feel wrong to just power through the main quests for 3 or 4 though

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I played them all back to back and thought they were different enough to keep my interest and not burn out, 3 is largely set in a new city (though of course you do start going back to Kamurocho more and more towards the end), 4 has a bunch of new characters you play as that all control differently and have different personalities that affect their substories, and 5 has both new cities (plural) and new playable characters

I agree that 4 is the low point of the series but I liked 3 a lot, and 4 was still good enough that I put like 50 hours into it and completed all substories since “low point” is a relative term

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I dunno how to approach 3-5, I want to play them all but don't want to get burned out and I get the impression 3 and 4 are the weakest and 5 is good but insanely long... it would feel wrong to just power through the main quests for 3 or 4 though

3 gets a bad rap. i really liked 3 and sought out all the side stuff. the combat’s a noticeable step backwards if you’re coming from the kiwami games, but it’s fine once you get into the groove of it.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

yeah i'm getting close to done with 3 and i've been enjoying it a lot. i like the orphanage stuff, and i like that kiryu's in it to give these kids a home. the combat's so-so but it gets the job done and there's tons of yakuza charm. its not as good as 0 or kiwami 2 but hell, they made those a decade after this one and it still kicks rear end

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

3 is also short af, i'm fairly close to the end and ive only logged like 30 hours

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I think a most if not all of the animosity towards 3 is from the original western release which I never played but apparently had a really bad localization and cut out anything deemed too Japanese for western audiences. The remaster did a whole new localization to bring it in line with 0-Kiwami 2 and didn’t cut anything from the Japanese release though

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
3s the weakest of the series but its yakuza so its still good

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

so, I'm planning on picking up 0 some time this year, probably after DE and Age of Calamity. in case I fall down a Yakuza rabbit hole, what I think I'm gathering is kiwami 1 & 2 are remakes of 1 & 2, 3 - 5 are remasters of the the original ones, 0 is a very recently made prequel that serves as.a great introduction to the series, and 6 and 7 are recent releases, and that all are available on the PS4/xbox one family of consoles? that about cover it?

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

so, I'm planning on picking up 0 some time this year, probably after DE and Age of Calamity. in case I fall down a Yakuza rabbit hole, what I think I'm gathering is kiwami 1 & 2 are remakes of 1 & 2, 3 - 5 are remasters of the the original ones, 0 is a very recently made prequel that serves as.a great introduction to the series, and 6 and 7 are recent releases, and that all are available on the PS4/xbox one family of consoles? that about cover it?

yep, that’s right. if you want to go super hard after you power through them all, there’s also yakuza dead souls, which is only on the ps3 and is kind of bad, binary domain which is on the ps3/360/pc and is top notch, judgment which is very good, and the fotns game which everyone means to check out but nobody has played

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

cool, thx.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the end Yakuza 1 is so sick, and Kiwami juiced up all the cutscenes to make them even more fun and melodramatic than I remembered. Dipping back into adventure mode to check out the last substory I didn't find and then on to Kiwami 2. drat I can't wait to get to 3,4,5,6,7 and judgment

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Spoderman posted:

yep, that’s right. if you want to go super hard after you power through them all, there’s also yakuza dead souls, which is only on the ps3 and is kind of bad, binary domain which is on the ps3/360/pc and is top notch, judgment which is very good, and the fotns game which everyone means to check out but nobody has played

The FOTNS is the weakest out of all the RGG Studio games but it’s still solid especially if you like FOTNS imo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

fotns kicks rear end!

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Fotns is awesome you just have to consider your level of yakuza fatigue before getting into it, and the driving stuff can get a little bit tedious

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm debating on what to play next after 7

Judgement
Kiwami 1
FOTN

I've played about ten hours each of judgement and kiwami 1 but got bored. I've only beaten 0 so far.

I didn't know the yakuza team made binary domain though?

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
Judgment

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

:hai:

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I think a most if not all of the animosity towards 3 is from the original western release which I never played but apparently had a really bad localization and cut out anything deemed too Japanese for western audiences. The remaster did a whole new localization to bring it in line with 0-Kiwami 2 and didn’t cut anything from the Japanese release though

There were some minigames removed, I think. Also didn't it have Mark Hamill voicing Majima? And Michael Madsen in there somewhere

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

not sure about madsen but mark hamill was goro majima in 1 in english

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
The original release of Yakuza 3 removed mahjong, shogi, and the hostess stuff, along with some other sidequests that I don't really know much about. The mahjong and shogi removal was really half-assed, too, because you can still walk into the areas that have them, you just can't do anything there

this was also back when they changed Kazama's name to "Fuma" I guess because they were worried people would confuse Kazuma and Kazama

tbh Y3's main problem is that the combat gets kind of tedious because of how bad enemies turtle and super armor through your moves, but eventually you can get tiger drop and just use that all the time

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
The Hostess stuff in 3 can be ignored it’s boring and nothing like 0 and K2

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

god drat the majima boss fight in yakuza 7 is the most jacked i've been in a JRPG fight in years, so much fun

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
I found that the difficult would ratchet up quite severely for some boss fights. That one was unexpectedly tough.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

yeah i think i actually kinda liked that.... it was fun to grind and prep for a boss fight in a modern JRPG. feels like most games in the genre these days are very carefully balanced so that you never have to stop at one roadblock for too long. it made me think of the Good Old Days

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

That fight is basically a check to see if you went through the battle arena or not, which is presented as optional but you’re pretty much directed right to it. I was stonewalled on that fight until I powered through the arena, then I beat it my first try after that.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I just got to that fight and beat it after a couple of tries but Jesus that was a difficulty spike... I'd beaten up to floor 20 on the battle arena so I figured I'd be fine

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I just got to that fight and beat it after a couple of tries but Jesus that was a difficulty spike... I'd beaten up to floor 20 on the battle arena so I figured I'd be fine

I did the same thing, ended up having to go back, finish the arena, then do it all again from the bottom before I was at level parity with them and could take them on lol. It’s a huge jump in difficulty considering random enemies in the area had completely stopped being a challenge a while before before my first attempt

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

now that i finally beat dragon quest xi, i can jump back into yakuza 5 and finish that. can’t wait to play 6 and like a dragon

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Installed Kiwami 1 last night in preparation. Still want to finish Cyberpunk first but we'll see how long that takes etc.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Yakuza 3 talk: gonna be mad if something happens to best daughter haruka while I'm away beating faces in, getting the deed back.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

One cute thing I noticed in the Kiryu fight in Like a Dragon: I had Saeko in my party for most of the fight and he never hit her once. Perfect gentleman.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

One cute thing I noticed in the Kiryu fight in Like a Dragon: I had Saeko in my party for most of the fight and he never hit her once. Perfect gentleman.

Yea lol if you have her and Eri he'll only attack the two dudes. I actually used that for a bit by having Adachi and Ichiban tank damage during rotations. I thought something was glitched at first until I put 2 and 2 together. I was just bummed that the Majima poundmate call doesn't do extra damage to kiryu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Installed Kiwami 1 last night in preparation. Still want to finish Cyberpunk first but we'll see how long that takes etc.

I'm playing Yakuza 0 and Cyberpunk at the same time and have like 55 hours in each save and probably will still be playing both games for the next month or 2