Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Bruceski posted:

I really need to read Mistborn series 2 at some point. I prefer to curl up with a physical paperback, but outside of a library card what's the cheapest way to legally get those books in any non-audiobook format these days?

used paperbacks on amazon are usually under ten bucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

eke out posted:

used paperbacks on amazon are usually under ten bucks

Good point. My main (relatively) recent Sanderson purchases have been the big honking Stormlight hardbacks so I kinda completely forgot to check that.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

eke out posted:

[spoilers]

oooh so juicy. Nothing outside expectations though but the hallmark of Sanderson's style is that the twists are believable and structurally relevant.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Bruceski posted:

I really need to read Mistborn series 2 at some point. I prefer to curl up with a physical paperback, but outside of a library card what's the cheapest way to legally get those books in any non-audiobook format these days?

Same... Only cosmere stuff I haven't read is Mistborn Era 2 because I'm really turned off by the setting. Also reminds me too much of the horrible movie where they bend bullets or whatever... Not a fan of such blatant earth stuff being put into fantasy like guns.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I thought fantasy Wild West was cool as hell and I really loved the alomancy as a concept.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

insider posted:

Same... Only cosmere stuff I haven't read is Mistborn Era 2 because I'm really turned off by the setting. Also reminds me too much of the horrible movie where they bend bullets or whatever... Not a fan of such blatant earth stuff being put into fantasy like guns.

I'm usually the same. I much prefer my fantasy settings to be "pure", with guns being the big thing that makes me start to dislike the world being built. But it somehow just works for Wax & Wayne, which is partly because I just like several of the Mistborn 2 era characters a lot, and partly due to the much lower stakes. It does hurt a little that Alloy of Law is imho a bit weaker than Shadows of Self and Bands of Mourning.

That said, if you absolutely 100% don't care about the setting, and don't mind being spoiled about it, you should then at least read Secret History.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

insider posted:

Echoing what the others said. I too don't like guns in fantasy. It works with Wax and Wayne. They are also short books.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

insider posted:

If it makes you feel better, in the setting they also have people who use aluminum bullets, because allomancy can't affect it so it usually goes poorly for a misting who expects a bullet to get deflected and instead gets it buried in their temple.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The setting of Era 2 is literally the entire best part of the series and IMO the cosmere so far, it's so hard to find good fantasy with actual technology progression and societal changes, it's always just 'welp we have magic, it's this forever'

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

That’s why I am kind of excited about Era 3. like, will spaceships need to be made of aluminum so they can’t be messed with? Does can they now travel t different systems in the Cosmere?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

KKKLIP ART posted:

That’s why I am kind of excited about Era 3. like, will spaceships need to be made of aluminum so they can’t be messed with? Does can they now travel t different systems in the Cosmere?

I mean, original Era 3 is technically Era 4 now. Since original Era 2 became new Era 3.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Strange. Either way I think combining legit sci-fi with mistborn magic seems beat.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
What they mean is, Era 3 is Netrunner. Spelljammer is era 4 now

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Jorenko posted:

What they mean is, Era 3 is Netrunner. Spelljammer is era 4 now

I hope Era 3 brings true cyberpunk dystopia to Scadriel before we get the Era 4 galactic unification magic wars.

Sazed engineered them a bountiful natural paradise and they're already speedrunning unchecked industrial revolution.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Luxury gay space allomantic communism or BUST

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I remember reading somewhere that now-Era 3 is going to be 1980s-style tech. Dunno if that has changed.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Mordiceius posted:

I remember reading somewhere that now-Era 3 is going to be 1980s-style tech. Dunno if that has changed.

Accurate as far as the last State of the Sanderson (i.e. ~1 month ago).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Give me Mistborn: Shadowrunner with some cognitive realm matrix insanity.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I also want ridiculous Bond-style allomantic gadgets. All of the gadgets.

The allomantic grenades in BoM gotta just be the precursor to assorted wearable tech.

And in space-age mistborn I want allomantic power armor please. Maybe that can withstand whatever the hell shardblades end up becoming.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

M_Gargantua posted:

I hope Era 3 brings true cyberpunk dystopia to Scadriel before we get the Era 4 galactic unification magic wars.

Sazed engineered them a bountiful natural paradise and they're already speedrunning unchecked industrial revolution.

Wasn't one of the plot points that it was too perfect, and they had stagnated until there was a degree of struggle?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DarkHorse posted:

Wasn't one of the plot points that it was too perfect, and they had stagnated until there was a degree of struggle?

That's what harmony says but for someone who's supposed to have near omniscience the actual track record is pretty awful

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sanderson's pitch for Era 2 was apparently "you're checking in on your old buddy who became a god"

harmony is supposed to be loving it up

(mod edit: someone asked for spoiler tags)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 26, 2021

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I finished Warbreaker, it was ok, too long for what it was. I'm glad it wasn't my first Cosmere book.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

ConfusedUs posted:

I also want ridiculous Bond-style allomantic gadgets. All of the gadgets.

The allomantic grenades in BoM gotta just be the precursor to assorted wearable tech.

And in space-age mistborn I want allomantic power armor please. Maybe that can withstand whatever the hell shardblades end up becoming.

Have you read the sixth of the dusk sequel preview?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
RoW chat on the Thrill:

big mean giraffe posted:

Sunk in the ocean doesn't necessarily mean they can't easily locate it, just means it's really hard to find if you don't know where to look. WOB also states it's more secure than we think, and he has more info about it's storage but it wasn't the right time to put it into RoW.

Tunicate posted:

in the ocean in the vault that the dawnshard used to be in, maybe

DarkHorse posted:

Exactly, there was something to the effect of "oh my god it's idiotic they would just completely lose it" and Brandon said something to the effect it's secure and they can get at it again. The Dawnshard vault seems the most likely option that we know about

I'm super reliant on Arcanum being updated with WoBs so missed hearing about this tidbit. New WoB just got added to Arcanum, though it's a few days old:

quote:

Chaos
There has been a question in the fandom ever since [Rhythm of War] Part One, where we learned that the Thrill got tossed in the ocean.

Brandon Sanderson
They, at Jasnah's suggestion (which came through Hoid), locked it in an aluminum box and threw it in the ocean. The argument for this being that anywhere they could hide it, the enemy could get to. And an Unmade would be pretty easy to find in the Cognitive Realm. You can't hide an Unmade very easily. Aluminum's gonna help a ton with doing that. So, what you have to do is try to make it as inaccessible as possible. And the most inaccessible thing they could do is lock it in an aluminum box and throw it in the ocean. If they had kept it anywhere in the city or what-not, then the enemy would have been able to find it very easily, even inside an aluminum box. This method was their best guess at being able to keep it out of the enemy's hands. It is not a great solution, unfortunately. There just isn't one that they could find. As we talk about a certain other Unmade who is somewhere locked in a gemstone that might come up in the next book maybe, we'll talk more about this.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/460/#e14613

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Aren’t oceans land in the cognitive realm? Wouldn’t you just walk up to the weird box and pop it open?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
They are, but I assume you have to be in the physical realm to open that box, being in shadesmar won't do it.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Captain Monkey posted:

Aren’t oceans land in the cognitive realm? Wouldn’t you just walk up to the weird box and pop it open?

do we know how aluminum interacts with shadesmar? there might be something there we're unaware of

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Complete guess: in Shadesmar you won't see the glowing soul or whatever the sphere with it looks like on the other side.

I've slowly been making my way through Hero of Ages, maybe I'm reading way too into this...

"Hero of Ages, Part 4 posted:

A man with a given power - such as an Allomantic ability - who then gained a Hemalurgic spike granting that same power would be nearly twice as strong as a natural unenhanced Allomancer

But the way it starts off generically "with a given power" just sounds like some greater Cosmere foreshadowing, IMO. There was some discussion a few pages back about whether Hemalurgy would work off-world and I think it was determined it would work, it's just a matter of knowing where to stick the pointy end and having the intent to do it?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I have been thinking about this to much Marsh vs a Herald. I keep siding with Marsh even if you ignore atium allomancy.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea a Mistborn sounds like pretty much the ultimate badass, I don't know how any of the other magic systems would stand up to one.

Although soulcasting the air to oil and lighting that on fire might give a Mistborn a real challenge :thunk:

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Sab669 posted:

Yea a Mistborn sounds like pretty much the ultimate badass, I don't know how any of the other magic systems would stand up to one.

Although soulcasting the air to oil and lighting that on fire might give a Mistborn a real challenge :thunk:
A compounding allomancer/feruchemist (or someone like Marsh with the right hemalurgic spikes) is going to laugh at an oil fire. Get back to me when Jasnah figures out how to soulcast antimatter.

Calidus posted:

I have been thinking about this to much Marsh vs a Herald. I keep siding with Marsh even if you ignore atium allomancy.
I might bet on Ishar (RoW spoilers) given what we saw him do to Dalinar, but only if bondsmith connection manipulation can remove access to metalminds or somehow gently caress with how spikes grant powers AND Marsh got sloppy in the first place and underestimated him long enough for Ishar to get away with it. People with access to feruchemical steel, tin, and zinc minds are pretty loving hard to get the drop on if they're paying attention.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 27, 2021

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Space Butler posted:

Have you read the sixth of the dusk sequel preview?

No. But now I want to.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Nothing we've seen can match a high powered Bondsmith because (ROW spoilers) as we saw with Ishar, a Bondsmith can write one person's Investiture and Connection to another, including themselves. Since they were able to Connect the bridgemen in a way to drain their stormlight, a Bondsmith could likely do the same to drain aa Mistborn's metal reserves similar to the effect of burning aluminum.

Once the Bondsmith wins that first fight, every subsequent fight will get exponentially easier because they will keep absorbing more and more powers from whomever they beat, and a Bonsmith who can compound full Mistborn allomancy along with other powers is going to quickly outpace every non-shard entity we've seen, including Hoid. Imagine Dalinar with the powers of the Lord Ruler and Susebron, for example.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bondsmithing seems to be shortranged tho

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Good points.

I really need to re-read RoW, there's so much I don't remember / downright missed. But also I want to finish HoA first and I'm having a hard time staying focused on it.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Lightweavers can shoot radiation and Dustbringers can split atoms so no, I don't think an Allomancer/Feruchemist would beat a Herald.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Daric posted:

Lightweavers can shoot radiation and Dustbringers can split atoms so no, I don't think an Allomancer/Feruchemist would beat a Herald.

But they can throw coins really hard :(

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

bondsmithing seems to be shortranged tho

Yeah, this is why I still think Marsh probably wins if he goes into the fight with immediate intent to kill. Going to be tough to deal with steelrunning + pewterarming shoving a fist through your skull at Mach 2 even if he doesn't have any coins to snipe you with. But, y'know, in the context of an actual plot there's plenty of room for a high powered Scadrian to get surprise-connection-smacked down by a bondsmith.

Daric posted:

Like with most superhero debates, force projection is cool and all, but super speed always wins. Not to mention time manipulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Daric posted:

Well the current heralds have a loose grip on sanity, so I feel like emotional manipulation would be pretty effective.