Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

(a missing tweet that's gone claiming Japan only tested 20+k people despite having 4k+ daily cases, still trying to verify)

:shepface::shepface::shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG posted:

like literally every single person "rushing to go back to the office" needs to have their loving brain scanned

I can only assume it's boomers and people that hate their spouse and/or kids.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

my wife will probably leave me when she comes home for the 700th straight day and im in basketball shorts and a t-shirt but good god I never want to go into an office again

I make sure the house is clean, the toilets scrubbed, and dinner cooking on the stove when she gets home. I'm pretty sure that's the only reason I haven't been smothered in my sleep yet.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

twoday posted:

owlofcreamcheese is hereby threadbanned from this thread

:toot:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

tangy yet delightful posted:

Being stuck in one place day after day sucks.

Unfortunately, what these people want back is the world where the pandemic isn't happening.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

And not to sound like an apologist but most programmers heavily rely on multiple screens that they might not have at home.

endlessmonotony posted:

Being stuck in one place day after day sucks.

That too.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

AceOfFlames posted:

I am a chronic procrastinator who just can’t work at home. I am in serious danger of being fired and my boss is riding us extra hard and even making us attend a mandatory time management course. I’d love to go back to the office but I don’t want to die or kill someone else.

You tried all the usual tricks like dressing up in your work clothes, having a home office, using a work computer, etc? If you can't actually get your work done on time that's a problem, might want to start sending out resumes if you're in danger of being fired though because I doubt your workplace is going to get less toxic from here.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

AceOfFlames posted:

And not to sound like an apologist but most programmers heavily rely on multiple screens that they might not have at home.

you're making computer toucher money and you can't afford a couple of monitors and some monitor arms. come the gently caress on

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twoday posted:

:coronatoot: :coronatoot: :coronatoot:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
much like the trump thread after trump being kicked out will this thread be starved of content now

nah, at least Trump was entertaining

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hexigrammus posted:

I make sure the house is clean, the toilets scrubbed, and dinner cooking on the stove when she gets home. I'm pretty sure that's the only reason I haven't been smothered in my sleep yet.

my wife works a hell of a lot harder than I do but in exchange for only needing like an hour to go through my emails I spend a lot of time cleaning and cooking because she's tied up in meetings all day

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
aw gently caress I wanted to restart this thread on the 23rd, the one year anniversary of the OP of the original covid thread

drat it

twoday
May 4, 2005

well too late now, just keep posting I guess

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

turd in my singlet posted:

i'm reading In the Ruins of Neoliberalism by Wendy Brown and based on her work it really seems like this is a deliberately cultivated attitude originating in Milton Friedman and Friedrich Hayek's writings. they didn't just argue for a deregulated market-worshipping economy, they also explicitly argued for the abolishment of "society" and "the social", meaning the public spaces and conversations where different groups and classes were able to communicate with each other, with the deliberate goal of preventing social movements about equality. because the poors developing movements to reign in capitalism or confront injustice is "totalitarianism" you see

E: cat tax

Thanks for the book recommendation. Gonna put this in my to-read queue. For the second link, am I supposed to buy 2 of those? Or is that single item the pair that's needed for that respirator? - My workplace continues to pop covid-positives because of my colleagues lackadaisical approach. For the past 5 months I've been using a single-use disposable surgical mask and then another cloth mask (with a PM2.5 filter inserted into it) on top of the disposable one. I have several of the cloth/filtered masks I rotate while daily changing out the disposable one. But yeah a respirator would be better.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

twoday posted:

:justpost: motherfucker

Morbus
May 18, 2004

twoday posted:

one down...

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
Speaking of, when do we start just calling new covid-19 variants covid-21. Is that just too scary for people?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

tangy yet delightful posted:

my dad once told me that a super long commute to work is a good thing because then I get to spend several hours a day away from my wife. from what I can tell this is business as usual for his generation

like if I need alone time i'm just gonna go camp out in the woods overnight and maybe get eaten by a bear like a normal person

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

twoday posted:

aw gently caress I wanted to restart this thread on the 23rd, the one year anniversary of the OP of the original covid thread

drat it

we have been failed by our cspam government

Morbus
May 18, 2004

twoday posted:

new thread title

twoday
May 4, 2005

U-DO Burger posted:

we have been failed by our cspam government

hey look what can I say, if you expect the government to be functional maybe c-spam isn't the place for you

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ram dass in hell posted:

Speaking of, when do we start just calling new covid-19 variants covid-21. Is that just too scary for people?

The UK virus

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

ram dass in hell posted:

back last march i thought, welp, this is it. america's major export from now on is going to be novel coronavirus strains

while it is satisfying to be entirely correct, i'm kind of angry that we should be on like covid 25 by now and won't admit it

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

twoday posted:

hey look what can I say, if you expect the government to be functional maybe c-spam isn't the place for you

Trying to get in to the subtitle thread at this late a point?

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

blatman posted:

my dad once told me that a super long commute to work is a good thing because then I get to spend several hours a day away from my wife. from what I can tell this is business as usual for his generation

like if I need alone time i'm just gonna go camp out in the woods overnight and maybe get eaten by a bear like a normal person

I too will be bear scat one day

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

blatman posted:

I like commuting bc it's time spent away from the internet

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twoday posted:

drat it

just wait until January 23 2022, this will still be ongoing

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

the boomer commute was way shorter, on average like 5-10 minutes

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

I dont see how every single corp isn't looking at what the spend on rent and really considering the alternative

for most of the petty tyrant managerial class, the cost of in-person work is less than their perceived benefit value of getting to directly lord over and control the lives, schedules, geographies, etc of their employees.

I'm not being tongue in cheek here either. I don't think there is any possible rational way to explain it other than that. they know it's cheaper to work from home, and they're willing to spend that money in exchange for telling you to sit in THIS sit right here from 8am to 5pm every day

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Iron Crowned posted:

Anyone know where I can get a pair of the 7093's? When I checked on Friday Ganger was only selling them in 12 packs. THe pancakes I'm currently using are going to need to be replaced in about 6 weeks, and I don't really think I need a 3 year supply of cartridges.
quoting to lol at this when we're in the middle of some 2023 pandemic

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Soap Scum posted:

for most of the petty tyrant managerial class, the cost of in-person work is less than their perceived benefit value of getting to directly lord over and control the lives, schedules, geographies, etc of their employees.

working inside an office is the only reason those manager jobs exist. you gotta have entire bureaucracy to hector the proles when they're crammed into cubicles or else their "productivity" will move closer to what the company deserves to get for their poo poo wages

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

twoday posted:

good things .., poss;blem??

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Morbus posted:

new thread title

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like half your posts in this thread are about me

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lmao

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
kind of glad what i do can't really be done from home because I absolutely can't do any work at home otherwise. fortunately it's in a basement lab that has zero interaction with anyone other than the same 3-4 people who all get tested weekly so i feel pretty safe.

every time i sit down at my computer i get distracted and just do youtube and games instead of the writing i'm supposed to be doing to finish up my thesis. to be honest the past few months has just sorta been a spiralling sadness knowing the past 4 years of grad school was basically all a massive waste because finding a job during a pandemic without any sort of in-person networking is basically impossible.

blatman posted:

god if this is what the boomers thought marriage was supposed to be and worth protecting, i'm glad it's becoming untenable

Atrocious Joe posted:

how sure is everyone that the FEMA money is real?

my second thought is that convention money is probably seen as a more profitable source venture, and hotels are afraid providing housing for homeless people could put that at risk. it seems like cities will make conventions technically allowed this year, so hotels could see income from that even if the entities with scheduled events cancel.
Hotels don't want to house the homeless even if someone fully pays for it because they like most people see the homeless as scum and inhuman

twoday
May 4, 2005

av post combo

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Crazypoops posted:

instead I'm just running in a circle between rage and lol
oh hey that's me

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

fermun posted:

so do hotel owners just suck at lobbying or what? biden signed an executive order on the 22nd saying that FEMA will 100% pay for any hotel rooms used to house homeless people through the end of september, and tourism is getting hit really hard so you'd think hotel owners would be out there demanding their cut of the money, but it doesn't seem like anywhere is trying to expand homeless hotels? are mayors worried the homeless will think they're human if they get 8 months of being treated like humans?

You're from sFSF. Remember how nimbys were whining about the homeless in hotels when we did this? Thats why

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
had a convo with my older bro tonight and he told me I sound like a crazy person who is steeped in cynicism and despair.

sounds right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You tried all the usual tricks like dressing up in your work clothes, having a home office, using a work computer, etc? If you can't actually get your work done on time that's a problem, might want to start sending out resumes if you're in danger of being fired though because I doubt your workplace is going to get less toxic from here.

1) Yes.
2) I live in a one bedroom 65 m2 apartment. My computer is in my dining room table. Nos space for a desk.
3) Yes, I use my work laptop, what else

I was procrastinating bad before now it's far far worse. I understand its my problem but separation of work and home was one of the few things keeping it under control.

AceOfFlames has issued a correction as of 08:16 on Jan 26, 2021